Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

Here is my setup: Dell D620 latitude with dell 1390 wifi card , 10.6.6 working wifi, ethernet, usb , etc...

I have started to install 10.6.0 with Leppy D620SLV1 install disk, at that point everything worked right out of the box and it couldn't be simpler.

Then i upgraded with 10.6.6 combo, and Wifi stopped working, then read for 2 hours trying to find solution and came across this post.

Took both Kexts from IO80211 and IONetworkingFamily from my other computer running 10.6.3 and replaced them on my Dell with kext helper B7.

Before rebooting, my wifi card was already working back as normal, so i rebooted and guess what ? IT still works !!!

i did nothing more than replacing those two kexts, so for those having the same lappy as me, don't fuss around trying anithing else.

Thanks to the original poster for the solution

Darklock :D

I tried the script, installed it successfully, but my computer still does not see my wifi card.

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.5 Snow Leopard.

The computer I am using is an AcerPower 2000 Desktop.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz

Hope that helps, I went to the acer website to see what kind of wifi card I am using, I am not sure but I think it is a broadcom. I am sure is the one that they bring by default. Thanks in advance!

This mostly applies to older Compaq/HP laptop users, but perhaps it will help others with BRCM issues also...

Back in the early Leopard days I fought night and day to enable my BRCM4311 mini pci-e wireless on my laptop.

After replacing kext after kext, and using the o.g. enabler script from this OP, I almost gave up on Wifi forever.

Fortunately for us old school guys there was a script ninja named Chun-nan/Eureka who figured out the heart of the problem for many fellow Hackintoshers and created a Leopard kext. You see, the problem for many (again, not all) is the soft power switch that turns on the pci-e card, in this case the wifi card. Taping pin 20 has no effect on this, neither does swapping out kext after kext with different device id's. As many have found out, performing ioreg, and some other terminal commands often recognizes the pci-e device, or you may have a Airport diamond in your menu bar, but get a message like "Wireless device not installed/recognized"... We simply have to tell the OS to "wake up" our wifi card, and we do that using the attached kext.

I take no credit for this kext, I don't even remember where I got it from, but I know it was on this forum somewhere.

All I know is it's a reverse engineered SL version of Chun-nan's Leopard kext, and it works for me perfectly.

(Running 10.6.6 and no problems with this kext if installed correctly)

Oh, and don't panic if your wifi card status light doesn't come on after installation, mine only does after booting from Windows into Mac without shutting down power in between. The important thing is for airport to show up after the install. Again, this is meant for PCI-E & Snow Leo only, and perhaps mini pci-e at that.

Use at your own risk, and good luck!

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

This mostly applies to older Compaq/HP laptop users, but perhaps it will help others with BRCM issues also...

Back in the early Leopard days I fought night and day to enable my BRCM4311 mini pci-e wireless on my laptop.

After replacing kext after kext, and using the o.g. enabler script from this OP, I almost gave up on Wifi forever.

Fortunately for us old school guys there was a script ninja named Chun-nan/Eureka who figured out the heart of the problem for many fellow Hackintoshers and created a Leopard kext. You see, the problem for many (again, not all) is the soft power switch that turns on the pci-e card, in this case the wifi card. Taping pin 20 has no effect on this, neither does swapping out kext after kext with different device id's. As many have found out, performing ioreg, and some other terminal commands often recognizes the pci-e device, or you may have a Airport diamond in your menu bar, but get a message like "Wireless device not installed/recognized"... We simply have to tell the OS to "wake up" our wifi card, and we do that using the attached kext.

I take no credit for this kext, I don't even remember where I got it from, but I know it was on this forum somewhere.

All I know is it's a reverse engineered SL version of Chun-nan's Leopard kext, and it works for me perfectly.

(Running 10.6.6 and no problems with this kext if installed correctly)

Oh, and don't panic if your wifi card status light doesn't come on after installation, mine only does after booting from Windows into Mac without shutting down power in between. The important thing is for airport to show up after the install. Again, this is meant for PCI-E & Snow Leo only, and perhaps mini pci-e at that.

Use at your own risk, and good luck!

I am super-new installing these drivers in my hackingtosh so I want to make sure I do it right so I don't ruin the OS. Do I install this using the "sudo" method? thanks!

I am super-new installing these drivers in my hackingtosh so I want to make sure I do it right so I don't ruin the OS. Do I install this using the "sudo" method? thanks!

I'm pretty lazy and uneducated with CLI, but yes you use the sudo install method w/chown 755 etc.

I use these gui tools, not that they are faster or better than the Terminal for those who are skilled with it, but there's less chance of screwing things up. (One lousy keystroke, and you're redoing the command).

Use Kexthelper first, just drag the kext into the app, then hit password. You can rebuild the kextcache and repair perms here too, but Kexthelper has been kinda flaky with me on SL so, then I use KextUtility next to repair perms, and kextcache etc. A couple clicks, then reboot (with -v optional). :(

Kext_Helper_b7.app.zip

KextUtility.v2.3.2.dmg

• 4 weeks later...

I have read a ton of times, that the BCM4315 chipset, does not work unless you update to Snow Leopard 10.6.5, can anyone confirm this? I have the correct drivers that I install, but when I try to turn on my Airport, it doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

I gave up in the end - my previous Minitar Broadcom 4315 PCI 802.11g wireless card worked in any Mac I put it in as a native wireless card, from a lowly G3 B&W to my current Hackintosh. From 10.6.5 onwards however, it simply is not detected any more.

Tried every suggestion, replaced kexts from older updates - no go. This also added instabily to my machine, not recommended.

Ended up buying a Mini PCI-E to PCI-E adapter card and an Apple Macbook Mini PCI-E card (802.11n, Atheros chipset) and haven't looked back.

JB

• 1 month later...

BCM4306 (Belkin FD-57001) working on 10.6.7 but I have to manually connect to my WPA2 Personal network at each boot. The card wasn't detected at all after the 10.6.7 update until installing the driver and under 10.6.6 it was detected but refused to connect. Deleting the network and re-adding to the list didn't solve the problem. At least it can connect now but clicking the Airport icon in the taskbar doesn't show a list of available networks, just "Airport not configured". More of a minor annoyance than a deal breaker really. It's a shame that BCM43xx support seems to have been broken since 10.6.6, these cards have always worked well in everything from real Macs to hacks.

I have a 4315 (on my Notebook: Compaq 615) and tried a gazillion of different methods, tutorials, kexts...

it just wont work, I dont even get any AirPort Logo.

This is with 10.6.6, with 10.5.7 it worked like a charme, with a fix intergrated in install dvd (iPC)

Can anyone help me?

The only result I ever got was a second ethernet port shown up in System prefs.

PLEEEEAAAASE!!!

Update: 2009-04-29 4:39PM

Since it seems to be sort of difficult for new users to edit kext-files, I've written a small script which automatically adds the PCI IDs of all Broadcom wireless cards, which are AirPort compatible.

And this is where I need your feedback: Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Note: Only post the PCI ID if you simply have to add the ID to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in order to get it working!

Supported Chipsets:

• All Apple AirPort One Cards (4311,4312,4313,4319,431a,432a)
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4315, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4320, Broadcom BCM4320 b/g (confirmed)
  • 4324, Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4325, Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 2b continued

Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Dynex DX-BGDTC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.

Use this script at your own risk!!

Changelog:

• Version 0.5.3
    - added many new device ids
  • Version 0.5.2
    - fixed wrong permissions for /System/Library/Extensions
  • Version 0.5.1
    - added 4307, 4308, 4310, 4322, 4323 - just for testing
    - repair permissions of /System/Library/Extensions - just to make sure
  • Version 0.5
    - 4325 confirmed
    - updated to zip file again
  • Version 0.5pre2 (Beta release!)
    - added more chipsets (4314, 4315), I don't know if they even work...
    - gziped, because I don't have zip installed atm
  • Version 0.5pre (Beta release!)
    - initial Leopard support
    - added more chipsets (4321, 4e,432a,432b,432c,432d, ...)
  • Version 0.4
    - Only delete Extensions.kextcache/Extensions.mkext and not Extensions.*
  • Version 0.3
    - Delete the kextcache automatically
    - Fixed a typo that wouldn't allow the majority of users to delete the Airport2.kext

FAQ:

• "sudo: ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh: command can not be found"
    • N00b Attack: You need to be in the directory you have extracted the file to

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

• This could have many reasons. Try one of the following things:

• Delete the current network setup (in network preferences) and create a new one. Reboot.
      • If you had no luck, try this.
      • If that does not help, open Terminal and type: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot

• If that does not help, try to move either the kext of your Wireless NIC or the kext of your wired NIC to a location where it does not get loaded on reboot. Then type (in Terminal):
        • sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
        • Reboot

[*]If that does not help either, try this. It says it is supposed to work for a LinkSys WMP54G, but I guess it should work with other AirPort cards too.

[*]Some Laptops have an option "Enable Wireless Hot Keys" in the system BIOS. If you have such an option you can try to disable (or enable) it.

[*]If you are using a PCI card, try putting the card into a different slot.

[*]If none of these things did the trick, your card might have a crappy software power-on/off switch. Get a new one :ninja:

[*]I don't have AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

• It should be on your install DVD. If not, you have to use Google a little bit. I will not send you this kext via E-Mail or PN.

Anybody has progress with Dell Wireless WLAN 1520 Half MiniCard (0x435314E4)? I have AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext loaded but not network .

I've been dealing with this issue for a while now. I have a Broadcom 4312 wifi + bluetooth chip attached to the PCI-E slot in my MSI Wind PC (the nettop). After playing around with the DSDT for a while I think I may have gotten OSX to believe my chip is an Airport, but it tells me that there is no driver installed for it. I'm attaching images showing:

1) The system profiler showing the broadcom 4312 listed as an airport

2) The info.plist inside of my broadcom driver kext.

3) IORegistryExplorer open to my bcm4312

As well as the DSDT file I used to achieve this. Note that you should NOT directly use my DSDT as it is specific to my computer. I am putting the DSDT up in case someone with more DSDT knowledge than myself can find a bug in the patch I have made. The change necessary is in P0P5.

Any thoughts as to how to get OSX to know that the driver IS installed?

EDIT: I should also mention that the Bluetooth portion of the card is working, so it's not that the card isn't turned on or receiving power. Bluetooth has worked right out of the box, but wifi has had issues.

post-345695-1302954281_thumb.png

post-345695-1302954292_thumb.png

post-345695-1302954300_thumb.png

DSDT.dsl.zip

I've been dealing with this issue for a while now. I have a Broadcom 4312 wifi + bluetooth chip attached to the PCI-E slot in my MSI Wind PC (the nettop). After playing around with the DSDT for a while I think I may have gotten OSX to believe my chip is an Airport, but it tells me that there is no driver installed for it. I'm attaching images showing:

As well as the DSDT file I used to achieve this. Note that you should NOT directly use my DSDT as it is specific to my computer. I am putting the DSDT up in case someone with more DSDT knowledge than myself can find a bug in the patch I have made. The change necessary is in P0P5.

EDIT: I should also mention that the Bluetooth portion of the card is working, so it's not that the card isn't turned on or receiving power. Bluetooth has worked right out of the box, but wifi has had issues.

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, I do not know much about editing DSDT. I thought the kext was available for your card.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my friends ;)

Usb device web site: http://www.airties.com/product-details.asp...ers&dil=eng

USB\VID_0A5C&PID_BD13&REV_0001

USB\VID_0A5C&PID_BD13

http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?vend...r_search=Search

BCM4323 Intensi-fi® XLR Single-Chip 802.11n USB Solution

I installed the iAtkos S3 v2 on my computer. I have not changed a setting in any phase of installation. So I did the installation with the current settings. But usb wireless device does not work. Thank you in advance for your help. Best regards.

post-489445-1303848316_thumb.jpg

post-489445-1304001254_thumb.png

zerotri,

So far I was able to repeat your steps. I also edited my DSDT and got brcm43224 listed in system profiler, but no driver loaded. I also flashed my card with free firmware according to ubuntu forum

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1617380.html

After this the card was redetected in windows and linux, but no change in osx. If somebody can modify this free firmware for osx...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i got a strange problem with on some dell latitude D620 and 420 under 10.6.7

i installed a generic BCM4311 and fiddle a lot to get it work, without succes, when by chance, i just delete some kext (all about ATI card) in the system folder and rebooted.

This seems to fix the problem, airport is visible and working fine.

unfortunately this seems only temporary since at each reboot, the card disappear. (while airport card stay visible in network list) Erasing another kext and reboot fixed the problem again.

It seems that modifying the system file extensions is rebuilding something and at next boot, all is detected again, until next reboot.

any idea ?, even a script to launch would be ok.