Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

I installed iATKOS S3 V2 onto my Emachines e725. I've managed to get both the keyboard and the mouse working, and the audio seemed to work out of the box. My current struggle is Wifi. When using DCPI Manager, I get the following data:

14E4: 4315 Broadcom BCM4310 USB controller Coporation

I have tried the script, to no avail. I have also edited the AppleAirBrcm4311.kext file to change one of the ids/strings to contain 'pci14e4, 4315' and repairing permissions -- to no avail. Though I'm no Mac expert, I'm unsure what I might be doing wrong, and I'd appreciate any help whatsoever that might point me in the right direction. If there is any information that I have left out that might help somone, please let me know and I'll try my best to retrieve it.

Thanks in Advance.

I installed iATKOS S3 V2 onto my Emachines e725. I've managed to get both the keyboard and the mouse working, and the audio seemed to work out of the box. My current struggle is Wifi. When using DCPI Manager, I get the following data:

14E4: 4315 Broadcom BCM4310 USB controller Coporation

I have tried the script, to no avail. I have also edited the AppleAirBrcm4311.kext file to change one of the ids/strings to contain 'pci14e4, 4315' and repairing permissions -- to no avail. Though I'm no Mac expert, I'm unsure what I might be doing wrong, and I'd appreciate any help whatsoever that might point me in the right direction. If there is any information that I have left out that might help somone, please let me know and I'll try my best to retrieve it.

Thanks in Advance.

I have the exact same issue with the exact same card though I have an HP DV6. It's frustrating since the kext is loading as you can see it in system profiler under extensions, but the kext isn't recognizing the card even though it lists the Device/Hardware IDs. I think it has to do with the actual computer and not OS X, though I was able to use a specific kext in 10.5 and get it working about 20%, but it just does not want to associate at all in 10.6 no matter what I do. Why does it have to be WiFi I can't get working on my laptop?! >.<

Hey guys... for the people who have any kind of dell laptop that is over a 2005 model can do right in to the BIOS setup and in my dell inspiron i just have to scroll all the way down to the end of the page of my bios and theres something asking if you wanna start up the wireless automatically when system is loaded.. just check the yes box and your on your way.. oh and btw... you must have a driver installed first!

Update: 2009-04-29 4:39PM

Since it seems to be sort of difficult for new users to edit kext-files, I've written a small script which automatically adds the PCI IDs of all Broadcom wireless cards, which are AirPort compatible.

And this is where I need your feedback: Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Note: Only post the PCI ID if you simply have to add the ID to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in order to get it working!

Supported Chipsets:

• All Apple AirPort One Cards (4311,4312,4313,4319,431a,432a)
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4315, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4320, Broadcom BCM4320 b/g (confirmed)
  • 4324, Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4325, Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 2b continued

Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Dynex DX-BGDTC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.

Use this script at your own risk!!

Changelog:

• Version 0.5.3
    - added many new device ids
  • Version 0.5.2
    - fixed wrong permissions for /System/Library/Extensions
  • Version 0.5.1
    - added 4307, 4308, 4310, 4322, 4323 - just for testing
    - repair permissions of /System/Library/Extensions - just to make sure
  • Version 0.5
    - 4325 confirmed
    - updated to zip file again
  • Version 0.5pre2 (Beta release!)
    - added more chipsets (4314, 4315), I don't know if they even work...
    - gziped, because I don't have zip installed atm
  • Version 0.5pre (Beta release!)
    - initial Leopard support
    - added more chipsets (4321, 4e,432a,432b,432c,432d, ...)
  • Version 0.4
    - Only delete Extensions.kextcache/Extensions.mkext and not Extensions.*
  • Version 0.3
    - Delete the kextcache automatically
    - Fixed a typo that wouldn't allow the majority of users to delete the Airport2.kext

FAQ:

• "sudo: ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh: command can not be found"
    • N00b Attack: You need to be in the directory you have extracted the file to

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

• This could have many reasons. Try one of the following things:

• Delete the current network setup (in network preferences) and create a new one. Reboot.
      • If you had no luck, try this.
      • If that does not help, open Terminal and type: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot

• If that does not help, try to move either the kext of your Wireless NIC or the kext of your wired NIC to a location where it does not get loaded on reboot. Then type (in Terminal):
        • sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
        • Reboot

[*]If that does not help either, try this. It says it is supposed to work for a LinkSys WMP54G, but I guess it should work with other AirPort cards too.

[*]Some Laptops have an option "Enable Wireless Hot Keys" in the system BIOS. If you have such an option you can try to disable (or enable) it.

[*]If you are using a PCI card, try putting the card into a different slot.

[*]If none of these things did the trick, your card might have a crappy software power-on/off switch. Get a new one :(

[*]I don't have AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

• It should be on your install DVD. If not, you have to use Google a little bit. I will not send you this kext via E-Mail or PN.

hi please help i am a complete noob and wanted to know how to get this working i have osx installed its 10.4.5 with the jas dvd but i have no ether net or wifi i have a hp dv8210us with 2 gigs of ram pleas help thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your effort! It is a from a new Acer Aspire D260. I've have SL running. the only not working is Wifi and graphics (Intel GMA 3150) Main resolution is fine but no hardware acceleration.

Ed

webcam is working?

I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but someone suggested a custom kext may help.

I have a mid 2010 macbook and I've been trying to find a way to circumvent Apple's restriction on the use of 40mhz channels in the 2.4ghz band.

can anyone offer me a suggestion? thanks.

• 2 weeks later...