Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

FINALLY WORKING 4312 and SL 10.6.4!

Here's my setup:

Dell Latitude D620 with Intel Graphics

Replaced Intel Wifi card with Broadcom pci14e4,4312 Wifi card (equivalent Dell DW1490)

Installed using boot CD D620SLV1.iso and vanilla 10.6.3 retail Snow Leopard

Everything successfully installed and rebooted to the standard Welcome movie.

Installed Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin from the D620SLV1.iso CD using command line prompts from this to tutorial:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

From the tutorial, use the terminal window and you'll use the commands:

diskutil list

cd /Users/username/Desktop/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin/i386/

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 (You'll need to change the rdisk to suit your setup. Follow the tutorial.)

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 (Again, you need to change the rdisk to suit your setup. Follow the tutorial.)

Reboot.

Everything seems to be working - audio, graphics, wifi, USB. I didn't test wired ethernet, speaker jacks, serial, VGA.

Carbon Copied Clone'd everything.

Then my troubles began. I installed the MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.4.dmg update and rebooted.

Everything worked except wifi. I was given the error something like "No Airport Installed" in the top bar.

I then stumbled upon this thread. I did the following in this order and now have wifi working again.

bcm43xx_enabler_0.5.3.sh.zip (by itself, it didn't fix the wifi)

Went into System Preferences->Network. Removed all adapters in the left hand pane.

Pulled my 10.6.3 IO80211Family.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext from my CCC image. (Assume they are the same ones from the SL DVD)

Using Kext Helper b7, installed those two kexts.

Opened Utilities->Disk Utility and repaired the permissions of my Mac OS partition.

Rebooted and Wifi worked again.

I'm going to CCC again and try the 10.6.5 upgrade.

Hope this helps someone,

Cuong

EDIT: The error is "No Airport card installed". After the 10.6.5 update, the BCM 4312 stopped working again. I repeated the steps to reinstall the 10.6.3 kexts and repaired permissions and Wifi works again on 10.6.5.

EDIT2: Uploaded the kext files. I really think the IONetworkingFamily.kext is the only one that needs updating.

EDIT3: Both kext files are needed. Install them both. BTW, I'm unable to get the GMA950 kexts to give me CI/QE. I've tried all the assembled packs with 10.6.3 and I can't get it working. All the assembled packs say to use 10.6.0. Has anyone gotten the D620 to have CI/QE on 10.6.5? PM me please.

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

IO80211Family.kext.zip

FINALLY WORKING 4312 and SL 10.6.4!

Here's my setup:

Dell Latitude D620 with Intel Graphics

Replaced Intel Wifi card with Broadcom pci14e4,4312 Wifi card (equivalent Dell DW1490)

Installed using boot CD D620SLV1.iso and vanilla 10.6.3 retail Snow Leopard

Everything successfully installed and rebooted to the standard Welcome movie.

Installed Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin from the D620SLV1.iso CD using command line prompts from this to tutorial:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

From the tutorial, use the terminal window and you'll use the commands:

diskutil list

cd /Users/username/Desktop/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin/i386/

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 (You'll need to change the rdisk to suit your setup. Follow the tutorial.)

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 (Again, you need to change the rdisk to suit your setup. Follow the tutorial.)

Reboot.

Everything seems to be working - audio, graphics, wifi, USB. I didn't test wired ethernet, speaker jacks, serial, VGA.

Carbon Copied Clone'd everything.

Then my troubles began. I installed the MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.4.dmg update and rebooted.

Everything worked except wifi. I was given the error something like "No Airport Installed" in the top bar.

I then stumbled upon this thread. I did the following in this order and now have wifi working again.

bcm43xx_enabler_0.5.3.sh.zip (by itself, it didn't fix the wifi)

Went into System Preferences->Network. Removed all adapters in the left hand pane.

Pulled my 10.6.3 IO80211Family.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext from my CCC image. (Assume they are the same ones from the SL DVD)

Using Kext Helper b7, installed those two kexts.

Opened Utilities->Disk Utility and repaired the permissions of my Mac OS partition.

Rebooted and Wifi worked again.

I'm going to CCC again and try the 10.6.5 upgrade.

Hope this helps someone,

Cuong

EDIT: The error is "No Airport card installed". After the 10.6.5 update, the BCM 4312 stopped working again. I repeated the steps to reinstall the 10.6.3 kexts and repaired permissions and Wifi works again on 10.6.5.

Hi,

i have the Problem too. My wifi is not recognized after 10.6.5 so i tried your guide but it's not working with the old kext. Maybe with your kext. Could you please upload your kext for me please?

MFG Dave

after hitting my head with lots adapter :( 14e4; Broadcom Corporation; 4315; BCM4312 802.11b / g LP-PHY, Network controller

I used the kext http://www.kexts.com/view/611-bcm4310_for_10.6.5.html

and worked in the Snow Leopard 10.6.5 / <_<:D sorry for bad english :D

Hello,

I have the same Wifi Card, but for me this kext don't work under SL 10.6.5 :(

any help ?

hi to all,

I just want to ask for help from you guys.. I have Acer Aspire 4310 with MAC OSX Leopard ver 10.5.6 installed, i want my wifi on board to make it work. Could someone help me to figure out on what exact file do i need to install to enable the on board wifi of the laptop.. It's chipset is Broadcom 4311. What are the things or basic steps do i need to do??

I appreciate your help..

Thanks to all clever people there..

Regards,

Ms. vHeRn :excl:

• 2 weeks later...
This is extremely odd... I have never experienced this behavior. Did you try to delete the AppleAirPort2.kext???

Are you using a laptop (internal Broadcom card) or are you trying to install this card in a standard mini PCI-Express slot of your desktop PC's mainboard? Anyway, actually it should not matter at all, I could imagine that this is a PCIe related issue...

man that good from your side to try to help us i been trying to instal mac os on my laptop(hp 6720s) everything works exept internet when i chek it says no ethernet adapter

(intel 82562GT 10/100 network connection.. and wireless broadcom 802.11 b/g wlan BCM43XX ) i downloaded mac the name was universal and it worked everything grafik sound all stuff just the wireless please help if you know how :(:)

Edited by godzilaa

Hello, I have laptop Dell Latitude e6500 with Mac OSX Snow Leo 10.6.5. Now I purchased new Dell Wireless card 1520 half mini pci-e and remove the original intel wifi 5300, which is not supported in Mac OSX.

So my new wifi card Dell 1520 has Broadcom chip, here is IDs: 14e4:4353 (subsys: 1028:000E).

This card may is supported, but not for me. Its IDs are originaly included in IO80211Family.kext->Contents->PlugIns->AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext->Contents->Info.plist

Here is:

<key>Broadcom 802.11 PCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43224</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AirPort_Brcm43224</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4353</string>

</array>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>426</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>TruePowerOff</key>

<true/>

</dict>

Could somebody help me with this wireles card? Thanks

I have Broadcom4313 with the device id [14e4: 4727], I've changed info.plist to add it manually and did not happen. Please help.

Im having the same issue! I know you can get the 4727 working in linux since Broadcom released an open source for the driver but I cannot get it to work on hackintosh. Anyone get it?

Update: 2009-04-29 4:39PM

Since it seems to be sort of difficult for new users to edit kext-files, I've written a small script which automatically adds the PCI IDs of all Broadcom wireless cards, which are AirPort compatible.

And this is where I need your feedback: Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Note: Only post the PCI ID if you simply have to add the ID to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in order to get it working!

Supported Chipsets:

• All Apple AirPort One Cards (4311,4312,4313,4319,431a,432a)
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4315, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4320, Broadcom BCM4320 b/g (confirmed)
  • 4324, Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4325, Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 2b continued

Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Dynex DX-BGDTC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.

Use this script at your own risk!!

Changelog:

• Version 0.5.3
    - added many new device ids
  • Version 0.5.2
    - fixed wrong permissions for /System/Library/Extensions
  • Version 0.5.1
    - added 4307, 4308, 4310, 4322, 4323 - just for testing
    - repair permissions of /System/Library/Extensions - just to make sure
  • Version 0.5
    - 4325 confirmed
    - updated to zip file again
  • Version 0.5pre2 (Beta release!)
    - added more chipsets (4314, 4315), I don't know if they even work...
    - gziped, because I don't have zip installed atm
  • Version 0.5pre (Beta release!)
    - initial Leopard support
    - added more chipsets (4321, 4e,432a,432b,432c,432d, ...)
  • Version 0.4
    - Only delete Extensions.kextcache/Extensions.mkext and not Extensions.*
  • Version 0.3
    - Delete the kextcache automatically
    - Fixed a typo that wouldn't allow the majority of users to delete the Airport2.kext

FAQ:

• "sudo: ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh: command can not be found"
    • N00b Attack: You need to be in the directory you have extracted the file to

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

• This could have many reasons. Try one of the following things:

• Delete the current network setup (in network preferences) and create a new one. Reboot.
      • If you had no luck, try this.
      • If that does not help, open Terminal and type: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot

• If that does not help, try to move either the kext of your Wireless NIC or the kext of your wired NIC to a location where it does not get loaded on reboot. Then type (in Terminal):
        • sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
        • Reboot

[*]If that does not help either, try this. It says it is supposed to work for a LinkSys WMP54G, but I guess it should work with other AirPort cards too.

[*]Some Laptops have an option "Enable Wireless Hot Keys" in the system BIOS. If you have such an option you can try to disable (or enable) it.

[*]If you are using a PCI card, try putting the card into a different slot.

[*]If none of these things did the trick, your card might have a crappy software power-on/off switch. Get a new one :(

[*]I don't have AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

• It should be on your install DVD. If not, you have to use Google a little bit. I will not send you this kext via E-Mail or PN.

where i have to put bcm43xx_enabler.sh, plase i need help, i have a wireless broadcom 43225 please help !

where i have to put bcm43xx_enabler.sh, plase i need help, i have a wireless broadcom 43225 please help !

You successfully quoted your answer. And the usage was even on bold.

How about: read the first post.

i have a broadcom BCM 4310 USB controller , i use DPCI manager , it has string : 14e4:4315 , i used bcm43xx_enabler_0.5.3.sh.zip , but in terminal has the message : Info.plist.AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext:Not a directory

AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext successfully patched

i reboot , but nothing happen

i don't have wifi , something wrong? , anybody can help me? , thank very much