Run AppleTV on your intel mac - uses local media or acts as a standalone appleTV, can QUIT

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

Sabr

Sabr

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

• Retired
  • 3,883 posts

The progress everyone has made on the AppleTV over the course of a week is outstanding!

Indeed, fantastic work guys. Excellent progress! :thumbsup_anim:

Anyone know the status of aTV working on an OSx86 box?

ssbands04

ssbands04

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
okay....I was able to find something in the comments of AppleTVhacks.net that gave a link to a rapidshare file download......This has the whole apple tv os as a simple application that is easy to use and doesn't require anything besides running the installer.

I got it to run, and do everything it should, but I can't find a way to quit it (seems to be an unfortunate trend) and I don't know how to find out if it actually has SSH enabled, etc. I'm a noob to SSH so I wouldn't even know where to start, but I'd love to get this working to some extent

Thanks in advance guys...you rock!

Jacob

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
I only get through the intro, then it crashes.
It didn't work, so i deleted the dmg :$
Now i believe i know where the problem lies, but i can't find apple tv os anywhere >.<

ssbands04

ssbands04

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
this may help: REMOVED URL---i put up the wrong one......check a few posts down

therealduckie

therealduckie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Not sure why I had to re-enter my info for an account here, but...HI! Remember me? :thumbsup_anim:

Ok, got it installed fine. I didn't even bother to reboot. All I did was log out, then back in and it worked perfectly.

TOO perfectly. I had to power off my Mini because I was unable to get back to my other logged in name.

Are we working on a way where we can switch back and forth between users to make this more usable to those of us without 2 Macs laying around?

IN Windows, you can click 'Windows+L" to switch users. Am I missing a key combo in Mac to do the same? Perhaps that would help? If this combo doesn't exist, maybe a script to create it?

ssbands04

ssbands04

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Try the installer above.....I promise (at least for me) that it didn't mess up my system in any way, shape, or form.........this is a great solution if you don't want to have to deal with dual booting, and it just works in the current account.....

Anyone that can figure out how to quit the app would truly be my hero

therealduckie

therealduckie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
that archive has a password, ssbands04

Jlentz823

Jlentz823

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
its not working the rar is not unraring

ssbands04

ssbands04

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
wait then it may be the other file it's a gigasize one........Does anyone know what terminal command should be used to kill all running programs on a osx box? I think that that may be the best bet for now doing it over ARD

http://www.gigasize....pple_TV_1.1.dmg

yeah that should be it........

therealduckie

therealduckie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

its not working the rar is not unraring

That's because it has a password attached to it...which, like the OSX86 disk image on PirateBay, seems to be conveniently missing and mysteriously---noone knows what they are or they aren't telling on purpose.

I don't like games.

wait then it may be the other file it's a gigasize one........Does anyone know what terminal command should be used to kill all running programs on a osx box? I think that that may be the best bet for now doing it over ARD

http://www.gigasize....pple_TV_1.1.dmg

yeah that should be it........

hmm...what's the password to the file you first linked us to?

Also, gigasize and Firefox don't play nice together. The image doesnt show up.

You sure you aren't working for Apple and trying to keep people confused and downloading useless files :dev:

ssbands04

ssbands04

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i promise......I was in the appletvhacks.net comments section and stumbled on those last two links......dl'ed them both and saw that the one did have the passworded dmg.....meant to put up the other one....It definitely is going, but I just can't figure out how to close the AppleTV.app thing......i can get a terminal over ARD but don't know what command to use to kill the process
And i'm only 16, so go a little easy on me lol

therealduckie

therealduckie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No worries, my comment was meant in jest.

another keen idea to add to fast user switching would be if someone found a way to incorporate EyeTV cards (I have the EyeTV Hybrid)

ssbands04

ssbands04

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
did you download the app yet? Tell me what you think

pauℓzurrr.

pauℓzurrr.

Paul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
So nobody knows the password? :dev:

therealduckie

therealduckie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

did you download the app yet? Tell me what you think

Sorry, I can not. That site doesn't display properly in Firefox.

Besides, I already have it working. What I need now is the user switching or a keystroke to kill it and bring me back to the login window.

ssbands04

ssbands04

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
DsurioN: What do you think? Also, do you think that this app has SSH enabled (? idk if that's even possible for an app), and how do we go about quitting it? Also, the volume control of the remote doesn't seem to work for the app (yet).......and i don't even know where to look to see development status because IDK where it even came from lol

Jlentz823

Jlentz823

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
i installed it now what do i do

pauℓzurrr.

pauℓzurrr.

Paul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
Got the file, but my macfuse and/or ntfs-3g is broken =S and i saved it on my windows disk.

ssbands04

ssbands04

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Jlentz: Run the installer
WARNING: BE prepared to restart your system (hold down the power button) if you can't somehow get a terminal in
- The app will take over your screen and you won't be able to close it
- The only way to close is it by using ARD (or an alternative, IDK) and then run the UNIX command of: killall Finder
- The app is called AppleTV but it still runs its processess as finder (idk why, but props to the hackint0sh guys for this help)

Jlentz823

Jlentz823

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
thats all i dont have to download anything else or time commands in terminal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy