Run AppleTV on your intel mac - uses local media or acts as a standalone appleTV, can QUIT

DsurioN

223 posts in this topic

ok i got a prototype coded, just used my base apple remote code to build it so pardon the well left overs :)

i didnt have enough time to think of a easy way to log a user out so i just made it tell the app finder to quit (yes i used ASS code just to speed my dev up) so im assuming this will hopefully work

all you need to do is place it in the startup items and it should be ready to go when you log into that user, just hold down the menu button and it will quit finder and hopefully put you back to your old desktop, i can make it just fast user switch instead if you guys want.

http://files.semaja2.net/AppleTV.zip

http://files.semaja2.net/AppleTV.source.zip

so yes please get back to me on your results, and if you know how to log a user out please do tell me :D

PS. ill work on a newer version that lets you set what u want to happen (quit/switchuser/logout)

ok well i did some experiments on my machine after installing it and it seems more complicated then what i expected, will take some more experimenting

im thinking the process might need to be killed completely :S and that might not even work...

Well ill do more testing on the remote system to see if its even working, then its just a matter of finding a command to kill the appleTV (i even used ARD to try to log a user off or lock screen all that stuff and none of it worked)

I think I might have found a potential solution to use the media on local Apple TV installs, that is, one-computer setups that want to run aTV as Front Row. I found this over at Awkward TV, I think it could work, but honestly, I can't understand it. If someone smarter than me is willing to simplify this a bit for the rest of us, we might have a solution and I'd appreciate it a lot :)

ok minor success so far, you cant kill the finder process because it relaunches, but you can kill the login window to log it out...

sudo killall loginwindow

this will logout all users btw, working on automating a way to kill it only for a specified user, now ive also noticed applications dont launch when the finder loads... so its going to be hard to make it work still without another machine

this works:

ps ux -U brad | grep loginwindow | awk '{print "sudo kill " $2""}' |sh

You'll only see the device in iTunes if you go to Sources -> and then (if you want to stream) "connect to another itunes" and if you want to sync, go to the syncing menu item (i forget exactly since I'm not in appleTV right now). You'll get a screen with a number on it, and then you have to enter that code in iTunes. It worked perfectly for me and my other computer sees it as a 170 gig apple TV! :)

That's just it though - I am going to that screen in AppleTV and leaving it there with the numbers up on it while I go to my wife's Mac. There, I don't see what to do in iTunes to get it to recognize the AppleTV... Where in iTunes do you enter that code?

Make sure in the iTunes preferences you have "look for apple TV's" enabled and then it should show up in the source menu on the left. It worked for me... After that you just click on the apple TV on the menu and enter the code. (if you just selected streaming, the icon will disappear again, if you selected "sync" it will start uploading to the 'appleTV'.

Ok heres the working dameon (Failed again... seems the AppleTV doesnt behave nicely, tested using a normal finder but fails in using the AppleTV version):

download : http://files.semaja2.net/AppleTV.zip

source : http://files.semaja2.net/AppleTV.source.zip

(I hope even know it failed i hope it sparks a idea in someones head)

Now place it into your applications folder (you can change this but you need to change the below commands)

Now open the terminal and enter (replace the appletv user with the short name of your appleTV user): sudo /Applications/Apple\ TV\ Quit\ Daemon.app/Contents/MacOS/Apple\ TV\ Quit\ Daemon -user appletv

It will ask you for your password enter it and it launches, now fast user switch to your appleTV account and enjoy, when finished hold down "menu" until it returns you to the login screen

PS. i take no blame for any damage caused for using this daemon and will not be accountable for anything that may come of it

PSS. sorry if theres bugs or whatnot but im coding this very late at night and in a rush

PSSS. this can also be used to log out of your own user quickly :)

Ok heres the working dameon (Failed again... seems the AppleTV doesnt behave nicely, tested using a normal finder but fails in using the AppleTV version):

download : http://files.semaja2.net/AppleTV.zip

source : http://files.semaja2.net/AppleTV.source.zip

(I hope even know it failed i hope it sparks a idea in someones head)

Now place it into your applications folder (you can change this but you need to change the below commands)

Now open the terminal and enter (replace the appletv user with the short name of your appleTV user): sudo /Applications/Apple\ TV\ Quit\ Daemon.app/Contents/MacOS/Apple\ TV\ Quit\ Daemon -user appletv

It will ask you for your password enter it and it launches, now fast user switch to your appleTV account and enjoy, when finished hold down "menu" until it returns you to the login screen

PS. i take no blame for any damage caused for using this daemon and will not be accountable for anything that may come of it

PSS. sorry if theres bugs or whatnot but im coding this very late at night and in a rush

PSSS. this can also be used to log out of your own user quickly :D

Does this work? Or did you edit the post to say it failed?

I've come upon a keyboard shortcut recently:

shift-option-command-esc

This is supposed to quit the frontmost app, i'm not at home right now so i can't test it, but if you try this on your normal user (just double-clicking on the hacked Finder.app) and try the keyboard shortcut, might work.

The progress everyone has made on the AppleTV over the course of a week is outstanding!

Indeed, fantastic work guys. Excellent progress! :thumbsup_anim:

Anyone know the status of aTV working on an OSx86 box?

okay....I was able to find something in the comments of AppleTVhacks.net that gave a link to a rapidshare file download......This has the whole apple tv os as a simple application that is easy to use and doesn't require anything besides running the installer.

I got it to run, and do everything it should, but I can't find a way to quit it (seems to be an unfortunate trend) and I don't know how to find out if it actually has SSH enabled, etc. I'm a noob to SSH so I wouldn't even know where to start, but I'd love to get this working to some extent

Thanks in advance guys...you rock!

Jacob

Not sure why I had to re-enter my info for an account here, but...HI! Remember me? :thumbsup_anim:

Ok, got it installed fine. I didn't even bother to reboot. All I did was log out, then back in and it worked perfectly.

TOO perfectly. I had to power off my Mini because I was unable to get back to my other logged in name.

Are we working on a way where we can switch back and forth between users to make this more usable to those of us without 2 Macs laying around?

IN Windows, you can click 'Windows+L" to switch users. Am I missing a key combo in Mac to do the same? Perhaps that would help? If this combo doesn't exist, maybe a script to create it?

Try the installer above.....I promise (at least for me) that it didn't mess up my system in any way, shape, or form.........this is a great solution if you don't want to have to deal with dual booting, and it just works in the current account.....

Anyone that can figure out how to quit the app would truly be my hero

its not working the rar is not unraring

That's because it has a password attached to it...which, like the OSX86 disk image on PirateBay, seems to be conveniently missing and mysteriously---noone knows what they are or they aren't telling on purpose.

I don't like games.

wait then it may be the other file it's a gigasize one........Does anyone know what terminal command should be used to kill all running programs on a osx box? I think that that may be the best bet for now doing it over ARD

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/1002016/Apple_TV_1.1.dmg

yeah that should be it........

hmm...what's the password to the file you first linked us to?

Also, gigasize and Firefox don't play nice together. The image doesnt show up.

You sure you aren't working for Apple and trying to keep people confused and downloading useless files :dev: