I need something explained: How does Vista look like OSX ?

88 posts in this topic

Guest goodtime
No APPLE TAB button to quit apps. Still clunky alt F1 or something. Ugg.

Oh and the dreaded .dll files and as some others mentioned, busy bee background DRM checking software which FORCES hardware manufactures to be DRM complient. This is why the RIAA are thinkin about easing up on some of the copy restrictions.

Vista will be a music killer unless the DRM schmatics change.

On the mac it's Apple-Tab, and tab over the app, then keep Apple down and press Q.

gt

If Vista was a car it would be a low rider with under floor lights and fluffy dice, os X would be an Aston-Martin.

I know which one I'd rather be driving on a twisty road....

Yeah, but if OS X were an Aston-Martin, the hood would be bolted shut and you could only buy the gas from Apple.

:D

Yeah, but if OS X were an Aston-Martin, the hood would be bolted shut and you could only buy the gas from Apple.

:)

^_^:wacko: :pirate2:

Now I want to be the devil's advocate:

Why the hell everybody owns a mac is arguing against PC's, while the normal PC owners don't usually discuss about MACs? :)

@Vertigo

As much as I don't like their closed hardware+software economy, that analogy doesn't make a lot of sense x).

@B12

I guess maybe the normal PC owners don't know a lot about Mac to begin with, if they know at all? On the other hand the normal Mac user either grow up with a Mac and rarely touched Windows, or they made a decision to "switch" to Mac from PC for they find Mac to be better in some ways. In that way normal Mac users know more about PC than normal PC users know about Mac, to even start a discussion.

Of course, we all know Artie MacStrawman :) always argue against PC because Mac is Perfect and M$ is evil.

Edited by Timyang

Guest Koh-i-Noor
Come out first? You mean like in 2000? Window XP? How much of Windows 98/XP is copied in OS X?

Assuming Vista in its exact current form somehow came out before OS X, I'd say OS X would be a lot different from what it is now... This is just pointless speculation, if you are comparing XP and OS X then it might make more sense.

I may be wrong, but isn't this whole thread about speculation?

Vista is a resource hog. Most people, if they want to upgrade, need to upgrade their hardware first to fully enjoy what Vista has to offer, and even still, it's still a resource hog. When you buy a new Mac nowadays, it already comes with hardware needed and that very same hardware will last for some time before needing any major upgrades to support the full functionality of an OS.

Yo want to talk about a resource hog?

When we upgraded our dual 1.2ghz G4's from 10.3 to 10.4 the performance slowed to a crawl.

@Vertigo

As much as I don't like their closed hardware+software economy, that analogy doesn't make a lot of sense x).

@B12

I guess maybe the normal PC owners don't know a lot about Mac to begin with, if they know at all? On the other hand the normal Mac user either grow up with a Mac and rarely touched Windows, or they made a decision to "switch" to Mac from PC for they find Mac to be better in some ways. In that way normal Mac users know more about PC than normal PC users know about Mac, to even start a discussion.

Of course, we all know Artie MacStrawman ;) always argue against PC because Mac is Perfect and M$ is evil.

I use both PC's and Mac at home and at work.

And I can tell you we have more freezes at work on our Pro-tool systems on the Mac than you can shake a stick at.And that's all they have runnign on tem.

I have zero issues at ome on my PC runngin Inernet and all my Audio applicatiosn on it.

@Ramm: you are right, all this is at most speculations, it's just that I'd like to believe some speculations are less pointless than others ;). At least we can see how subtle details affect user's perception. Actually we don't need to consider Vista came out before OS X, because it already did, and it's called Windows 2000, with all the glory of Win95 era classic interface.

@henchman: you want to talk about resource hog? Windows boot up in 40 seconds while OS X does it in 15 seconds on the same machine here. Does this prove anything to you? Anecdotes doesn't add much to the generalized discussion here. Your Mac crashes and your PC doesn't , I got a kernel panic in the last 6 month and my PC crashes weekly (though better now, old ones used to be daily), does this mean anything? What is your point?

I think it is fair to say that Vista is following the natural trend of development in user interfaces, I wouldn't call it out for "copying" or "stealing" from Mac, not that it is wrong to copy; only in recently years it is Apple's design that is leading the trend, now Vista's transparency might change that a bit (though I'm not a fan of that).

Which is really not an argument against OS X's tendency to be a resource hog.

Exactly. I don't care how long it takes to boot.

Both Apple and MS OS'es are simply usin more and more resources to do all the pretty graphics and backgrond tasks.

Anybody thinking that Apple is not guilty of that, is simply fooling themselves.

I' so sick of harign the same lame-ass compalint. "Wndows is a resource hog".

Try comig up with somethign original.

Exactly. I don't care how long it takes to boot.

[...]

I' so sick of harign the same lame-ass compalint. "Wndows is a resource hog".

Exactly, my points says as much as yours, which is not a lot.

No one is disputing that Apple is not guilty of bloat as much as Vista, and I hope you are NOT implying that Vista is Not a hog as much as OS X is. My only complain is that you are providing anecdotic points in a more general discussion, and basically diverged the discussion on GUI to performances, did I even mention anything about performance in my original post?

Any one had spent some time on Vista's voice-recognition? It seems to become finally useful now.

Edited by Timyang

Whoopee.. another "My OS is better than yours" thread.. they're like mushrooms.. they feed on rottenness & {censored} in dark, dank places, and then pop up into the light to spread their poison yet again..

Whoopee.. another "My OS is better than yours" thread.. they're like mushrooms.. they feed on rottenness & {censored} in dark, dank places, and then pop up into the light to spread their poison yet again..

The Thread is almost three weeks old. The Mushrooms have bloomed, Been picked and eaten in a fryup. You're just in time for the belch. ;)

Exactly, my points says as much as yours, which is not a lot.

No one is disputing that Apple is not guilty of bloat as much as Vista, and I hope you are NOT implying that Vista is Not a hog as much as OS X is.

No way would I even dream of saying Visat isn't a resource hog.

unless you close this thread go clean it up with soap :hysterical:

This thread is exactly how so many Mac people are hated. Rather than say why, they say "it is because I said it looks nicer, and Vista doesn't." It's the mentality of children.

Frankly, I don't give a damn who coppied who, it's whoever makes it work the best, and In my opinion, I like the Vista GUI better. I would also prefer an OS that allows me to run it on any box, and works well with my Vast majority of hardware.

Why is it so hard for you guys to point out fact instead of opinion.

Okay, I will throw in a towel and say that Vista probably copied some of the ideas of OSX, well...That's called using today's technology and trying to improve on that...

But here is where the problem is...

Vista copied Mac OSX...

Personally I wish I could actually say that without regret...

Because if they did indeed copy, OMG do I wish they did a better job at it. Because there are so many things that they could have done sooo much better if they were actually serious about idolizing OSX...

Because come on...IE7, DRM, etc. etc. etc.

This is not freakin copying! (Personally that is giving way too much credit) this is making an exact image of something, then messing everything possible up so there wouldn't be any signs of "stealing ideas"

I personally thinks that is f'd up...

Because hell, I have been waiting for so long until the day I can have an OS that is like a OSX, but still has the third-party and upgrade ability support of a Windows OS...

While yeah, I know there is Linux and such...But I don't want that! I want a dedicated manufacture that will focus on making my user experience better and more efficient.

Okay, I will throw in a towel and say that Vista probably copied some of the ideas of OSX, well...That's called using today's technology and trying to improve on that...

But here is where the problem is...

Vista copied Mac OSX...

Personally I wish I could actually say that without regret...

Because if they did indeed copy, OMG do I wish they did a better job at it. Because there are so many things that they could have done sooo much better if they were actually serious about idolizing OSX...

Because come on...IE7, DRM, etc. etc. etc.

This is not freakin copying! (Personally that is giving way too much credit) this is making an exact image of something, then messing everything possible up so there wouldn't be any signs of "stealing ideas"

I personally thinks that is f'd up...

Because hell, I have been waiting for so long until the day I can have an OS that is like a OSX, but still has the third-party and upgrade ability support of a Windows OS...

While yeah, I know there is Linux and such...But I don't want that! I want a dedicated manufacture that will focus on making my user experience better and more efficient.

You have no idea what you're saying. First of all, if it weren't for IE, mac users may have just finally moved away from netscape. Please point out exactly what it is you're talking about.

For reference: Sidebar was previewed before Dashboard (those {censored} desklets on the original macs don't count)

Indexed search was previewed before spotlight.

track09, you are itching for a flame war, as well as the author of this thread. I don't care, cause I am going to be civilized.

*clears throat*

If YOU, track09, knew something then you would know that Mozilla with Firefox and now Camino have been giving mac users more choices, plus there are droves of Safari users that don't and never have given a {censored} about IE. Think before you post something so ridiculous.

I don't care who previewed what, it was Apple that put the FINISHED features in an OS long before Vista. Just because Microsoft is thinking of/dabbling in a concept, means nothing. Apple proved the concept and has been proving it for a while. Now Microsoft has caught up and taken Expose, Dashboard and Spotlight and made their own versions. It is copying, get over it. Now I am not a mac fan that thinks Apple does no wrong. Steve Jobs is a prick, needs his ass kicked, mac prices need to drop (notebooks especially), etc etc. Those are my opinions don't flame me because that nice "report" feature on anybodies post will be used. To those that want to attack me (topic starter especially) I will let the mod/admins chew on ya so don't go there.

I don't care about the Microsoft fanboys or the Mac fanboys. I am a System Administrator that works with Windows all day long, I love mac. That is me. What burns me up is the Microsoft fanboys come on this site, a Mac site and try to shove Windows down our throats. Get over it, this is a Mac site and always will be. Those Windows and Linux users that respect everybody are the ones that don't bash, but some and everybody know who I am talking about, just want to beat everybody over the head with Vista. MOVE ON! If you as a consumer (talking to everybody that reads this, not one person) can't see the obvious copying in Windows Vista, then you are in denial and lieing to yourself. Apple has copied to, that is fine but the none rabid mac fans can admit this, it seems most Microsoft fans can not admit Vista's copying. Oh well. But guess what? All the rabid fanboys, stupid threads like this (mods think it is dumb to, so just repeating what they have said), etc etc will not erase the copying in Vista. It is there and the quicker people realize it the sooner threads like this go away.

Edited by sandmanfvrga

Get over it, this is a Mac site and always will be.

I'd tend to disagree there.. This site's roots are squarely across the platform divides, and will continue to work to build bridges between different platforms, rather than walls.

If YOU, track09, knew something then you would know that Mozilla with Firefox and now Camino have been giving mac users more choices, plus there are droves of Safari users that don't and never have given a {censored} about IE. Think before you post something so ridiculous.

I don't care who previewed what, it was Apple that put the FINISHED features in an OS long before Vista. Just because Microsoft is thinking of/dabbling in a concept, means nothing. Apple proved the concept and has been proving it for a while. Now Microsoft has caught up and taken Expose, Dashboard and Spotlight and made their own versions. It is copying, get over it. Now I am not a mac fan that thinks Apple does no wrong. Steve Jobs is a prick, needs his ass kicked, mac prices need to drop (notebooks especially), etc etc. Those are my opinions don't flame me because that nice "report" feature on anybodies post will be used. To those that want to attack me (topic starter especially) I will let the mod/admins chew on ya so don't go there.

I still have been waiting for a decent alternative solution for when I run OS X. Safari, IMO is {censored}. So many sites (including this very one) are broken by it, for some reason. Safari 1.1, forget it, that sucked. Firefox for mac is a trainwreck, and iCab is something out of the 1990s. Thank God for Camino, I really like that little browser, and I think it should get more attention, because 95% of my browsing on the mac comes from that. Please note that camino and Firefox were not around in the days of OS 9. (Although there was Mozilla Suite).

I don't see how you can accuse one company of copying. So many of the features in secuirty were taken from linux. Apple doesn't even write their own kernel, they took BSD (which wasn't a bad idea at all), they took X11, and they took webkit for safari. They took it, tweaked it, and called it their own. And no, I won't get over it. These previews happened to be in beta builds, which means they had a working copy first, how is that copying. If you have the idea before someone else previews it, explain how that's copying. I refuse to "get over it". I have no problem with Apple copying MS or linux, or MS copying Apple or linux, or linux coppying anyone else. That's what makes great product. Apple users need to stop being whiney little {censored} about everything, THATS what gets them hated. Apple has a great platform, but this superioristic marketing is enough to make me gag. In the end, after using Vista and OS X, Vista's features work well enough for me not to warrant the cost of Apple hardware. They free it up for PCs, I'll at least dual boot.