• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

velayo

velayo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Urig & Menno: where did you guys got the app from? I got mine from the green demon it might be that the uploaded version on the demon is f-up.

urig-herb

urig-herb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
I got mine from demon too. As I said, installation finished with an error message "This application could not be installed" or simliar. But it runs and my fresh xp installation is nearly finished. I hope OS X will still reboot.

Menno

Menno

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I've got it from the green demon. Search for vmware fusion and then take the latest torrent with the build nummer. Cheers :)

// by the way: installation dind't give me any erros. Everything works right now.

velayo

velayo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Menno and Urig both your processor support VT-X? That might be the problem it is probably trying to use those instructions.

I eliminated the installation scripts and the postflight and got it to install without problems. But I still get to the same point the virtual machines will not start.

urig-herb

urig-herb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
My cpu does not have VT-X (see signature). VMWare runs slower than parallels. But it has still debugging code and it is a beta! I'm still trying to install vmware tools, though. Maybe it's getting faster then.

velayo

velayo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Urig, I'm just trying to single out the problem.

Tried to edit some kexts and to change some settings within the application but still can't get it to load the vm's. Oh well. There must be someone who knows what to hack!

urig-herb

urig-herb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
XP and vmware tools are installed. It is still very slow, parallels is much faster on my system. Ethernet adapter doesn't work, maybe it wasn't configured correctly during vmware installation. In this state it is barely useable.

nevermind1331

nevermind1331

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Fusion is actually very nice. Runs stable and has great features (more than parallels). Of course, so far, it is slower.

Features not in parallels:
Dragging files directly into VM.
Built in iSight supported (you have to get the drivers and manually install them however)
Full custom resolution (drag the bottom right hand corner and VM automatically resizes. Excellent.)

Hopefully once the debug code is removed it will run better, but it probably replaces parallels for me right now.

urig-herb

urig-herb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Is your NIC configured properly? I have no vmware network adapter in OS X system settings.

nevermind1331

nevermind1331

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Is your NIC configured properly? I have no vmware network adapter in OS X system settings.

works perfect. i am using an intel imac. of course, right now i am connected wirelessly. I can check ethernet tomorrow.

urig-herb

urig-herb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
I'm on a hackintosh, of course. :) I don't mean the connection of your mac but the internal nic. Parallels installed something called "Parallels Host Guest Adapter".

nevermind1331

nevermind1331

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

I'm on a hackintosh, of course. :) I don't mean the connection of your mac but the internal nic. Parallels installed something called "Parallels Host Guest Adapter".

sorry, makes sense. My nic works perfect, and i did not have to change any settings.

Wish I could remove the debug code...

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
I just gave it a quick try on my MacBook Pro, but it cant (yet) boot my Bootcamp installation, so for me it offers nothing over Parallels. I dont care which camp gets there first, but I refuse to have TWO WinXP installs on my machine - I just want one I can choose to boot natively OR via a VM.

(Note to anyone who says this isnt possible - VMWare on Windows can do it, so why not Mac?)

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
Maybe someone clever could use this kind of trick? VMWare Fusion seems to use the same .vmx files...

http://www.linuxques..._Linux_for_free

I would attempt it if it wasnt 2am and i hadnt just hosed my OS X install ;) (bloody MonoLingual - default strip operation removes PPC from all frameworks, thus Rosetta dont work no more :) )

semthex

semthex

Shellcode Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I tried VMWare fusion as registered Beta tester but wasn't that impressed. A major feature missing was support for booting native installs from disk to VMWare, which is a basic feature I need. A second point I really was sad about were serveral existing problems with the GUI I encountered during testing.

I think I need to wait til the final release, if they don't fix the boot native probelm it will be useless for me.

AriX

AriX

InsanelyGeeky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

I tried VMWare fusion as registered Beta tester but wasn't that impressed. A major feature missing was support for booting native installs from disk to VMWare, which is a basic feature I need. A second point I really was sad about were serveral existing problems with the GUI I encountered during testing.

I think I need to wait til the final release, if they don't fix the boot native probelm it will be useless for me.

same for me, i really hope they let me boot native, and i also hope they give raw usb support because parallels still has bugs with that

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
nobody got the time to try the trick i linked to?

bgg71

bgg71

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I just downloaded the beta from vmware and am running it now.

First impressions: Kernel panic after trying to close it without installing an OS.

1.83 GHz Macbook
2.0 GB DDR2 667MHz RAM

same on my hacintosh dell latitude d600 pentium mobile 1.4 GHz
have parallels running but is way to slow. However, at least it works. Registered with vmware to notify me when a public beta is available. The one I tried was from demonoid.

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
Just for laughs, I ran Geekbench in VMWare and well...the results speak for themselves.

http://www.geekpatro...6/?view&id=8910

jfpoole

jfpoole

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Just for laughs, I ran Geekbench in VMWare and well...the results speak for themselves.

Yeah. Geekbench uses high-resolution timers that aren't always accurate on virtual machines, which is why some of the results look reasonable, while other results look quite unreasonable.

If you want accurate timers under VMWare (say if you want somewhat accurate benchmarks using Geekbench), you can set
monitor_control.virtual_rdtsc = false
in the virtual machine configuration file. It might cause the guest OS to crash, though, so be careful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy