Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS Sierra (UPDATE 07/21/2017)

nvidia web driver updates macOS Sierra

• Please log in to reply
1001 replies to this topic

drowsyhaze

drowsyhaze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Sure it does, running GTX 970 on MacPro 5,1 right now with macOS 10.12 DP4 with web drivers and working fine

Incidentally, I'm not able to assign boot arguments to the nvram, which seemed like it might be the solution, and get this error:

claes2:~ claes$ sudo nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1"
nvram: Error setting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) general error

Any reason this might be?

P.S. On legacy PBR, here are my nvram parameters according to terminal:

bootercfg	(%00
fmm-computer-name	claes
prev-lang:kbd	en:0
security-mode	none
Clover.KeepBackupLimit	0
SystemAudioVolumeDB	%f2
SystemAudioVolume	0
LocationServicesEnabled	%01
csr-active-config	%03%00%00%00
Clover.NVRamDisk	Yes

CSR Status (does this even matter?):

System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
	Apple Internal: disabled
	Kext Signing: disabled
	Filesystem Protections: disabled
	Debugging Restrictions: enabled
	DTrace Restrictions: enabled
	NVRAM Protections: enabled
	BaseSystem Verification: enabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

Any thoughts on why my installation won't load the web drivers?

Here's my boot.plist if it helps:

Spoiler

Original post:

Spoiler

Pavo

Pavo

InsanelyMac Legend

• Developers
  • 549 posts
System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
	Apple Internal: disabled
	Kext Signing: disabled
	Filesystem Protections: disabled
	Debugging Restrictions: enabled
	DTrace Restrictions: enabled
	NVRAM Protections: enabled
	BaseSystem Verification: enabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

Well since you have NVRAM Protections: enabled then I would say yes it matters

drowsyhaze

drowsyhaze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Thank you - I think I have found a solution! Hopefully it works for others!

First, I changed my the Rt Variable "CsrActiveConfig" from 0x03 to 0x67 in Clover, as per these instructions (useful resource as SIP management is more nuanced now than it was). This allowed me to add boot arguments to the nvram:

sudo nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1"

Checked with nvram -p and the change had been committed! So, I reboot, but still no Nvidia kexts!

Then, I used this command, as per a forum post that can not be named:

sudo nvram nvda_drv

Which produced these results with nvram -p:

boot-args	dart=0 nvda_drv=1
bootercfg	(%00
Clover.KeepBackupLimit	0
nvda_drv	1
prev-lang:kbd	en:0
SystemAudioVolumeDB	%02
security-mode	none
Clover.NVRamDisk	Yes
fmm-computer-name	claes
csr-active-config	g%00%00%00
SystemAudioVolume	%01
LocationServicesEnabled	%01

Rebooted and the kext has loaded! Thanks for all of the help!

ergot

ergot

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
nothing helped me...i think the boot arg nvda_drv is not saved or clear in reboot in plist file.
anyone know how to edit this file manually?

UPDATE

Make it work! bcuz nvram did not saved my string I installed EMU driver in clover folder and script by clover, used nvram boot-args='nvda_drv=1' and after boot I had black screen..good so far meaning its working but since I am using SMBIOS macpro6,1 I used AGDPfix and now I have full acceleration with web drivers :)

Attached Files

Gurqn

Gurqn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Sure it does, running GTX 970 on MacPro 5,1 right now with macOS 10.12 DP4 with web drivers and working fine

So you didn't manually add this argument and nvidia web driver automatically added that when you installed correct ? It was a case with El Capitan, however same behaviour cannot be seen for Sierra. It's strange, argument also appears in my nvram right now but it's because of clover i think.

@drowsyhaze

Also thank you for detailed instructions.

2016_08_07_15_07_47.png

Pavo

Pavo

InsanelyMac Legend

• Developers
  • 549 posts

So you didn't manually add this argument and nvidia web driver automatically added that when you installed correct ? It was a case with El Capitan, however same behaviour cannot be seen for Sierra. It's strange, argument also appears in my nvram right now but it's because of clover i think.

No I did not manually add this argument, and yes I am using macOS Sierra 10.12 DP4, all I did was install the web drivers but you also have to remember I do not use a hack, using a real Mac Pro 5,1. Since thats the case and seems like a lot of people are having issues maybe Clover is having issues adding arguments to nvram.

Gurqn

Gurqn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

No I did not manually add this argument, and yes I am using macOS Sierra 10.12 DP4, all I did was install the web drivers but you also have to remember I do not use a hack, using a real Mac Pro 5,1. Since thats the case and seems like a lot of people are having issues maybe Clover is having issues adding arguments to nvram.

Ah i see now, thank you for that, I wasn't know that you are using real 5.1. As you guessed, it's probably related to clover i think. Let's see how it will end up, I'm using hack as 6.1.

Thanks again.

ergot

ergot

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Any news with CUDA support?

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMacaholic

• Supervisors
  • 4,535 posts

Nvidia Web Driver 367.10.10.05b01 has been updated to support the last macOS Sierra beta 5 (16A286a)

Check the first page, #1.

Regards

Gurqn

Gurqn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Nvidia Web Driver 367.10.10.05b01 has been updated to support the last macOS Sierra beta 5 (16A286a)

Check the first page, #1.

Regards

Little bit confused here, is there any change when comparing with current driver, it's just recently released ? Nvidia panel indicate that there are no update yet, so is that modified same blob for DP5 ? Thanks

ergot

ergot

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Little bit confused here, is there any change when comparing with current driver, it's just recently released ? Nvidia panel indicate that there are no update yet, so is that modified same blob for DP5 ? Thanks

If you are still not updated to PB4 or DP5 than you will not see any update, once you update the OS you will see the update.
I suggest to download first the update of web drivers than update OS and update web drivers.
I am going to try this now...

UPDATE
update to BP4 breaks my GPU...I have installed the latest drivers but i have many glitches on top of windows and top bar

P.s
the app will not show new drivers, I am downloading the latest build for the OS and check again...

Doublepranks

Doublepranks

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Question to those brave guys of you who are using it in a daily basis:
How many bug there are to be fixed and how does it affects you in your dally tasks? I'm asking that coz this hack im using is my daily driver and I don't wanna screw it all up although still wanna update.

My spects are on sign but im now running this 750TI I bought this week, works well.

ergot

ergot

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
this is what happen to me with PB4 and latest web drivers, some bugs. Not useful for daily basis work if anyone use it... waiting fro more stable drivers.

Attached Files

Gurqn

Gurqn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

There might be hardware problems for you, I'm not quite sure that because of webdriver, I'm on DP5, still using same webdriver. There was problem with Airmail but it's also seems fixed with DP5, I can say pretty stable.

sl0wtarget

sl0wtarget

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Odd, I just installed the Sierra PB and this is my build number; 16A284a. I'm getting a black screen on my 970, I had to swap in my 680 in the mean time. WebDriver Updater finds no drivers for my OS build.

EDIT: EVGA 970, black screen. With 680, perfect. Same results with HDMI, DVI-D or wiping kernel caches. Considering WebDriver Updater doesn't find a driver for my OS build I think the latest drivers might be for the DP5 only.

EDIT 2: Well, considering the NVIDIA Web Drivers are activated while using the 680 I'm guessing there's a bug with it working with my 970

ergot

ergot

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

There might be hardware problems for you, I'm not quite sure that because of webdriver, I'm on DP5, still using same webdriver. There was problem with Airmail but it's also seems fixed with DP5, I can say pretty stable.

PB3 was working just fine,  i think its compatibility issue with my GPU 

IronManJFF

IronManJFF

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Question to those brave guys of you who are using it in a daily basis:
How many bug there are to be fixed and how does it affects you in your dally tasks? I'm asking that coz this hack im using is my daily driver and I don't wanna screw it all up although still wanna update.

My spects are on sign but im now running this 750TI I bought this week, works well.

Then beta software is not for you. You should wait for the official version.

Doublepranks

Doublepranks

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Then beta software is not for you. You should wait for the official version.

Not such universal rule. I've seen and even tried pretty stable betas like Windows 10 previews, those were pretty stable. Usually, betas tend to come quite stable as release date comes around (not trying to be captain obvious here)
besides Apple historically not religiously release their final product in September "This fall" and that is around the corner already. But I understand where you came with this idea from and this is true most of the time.

drowsyhaze

drowsyhaze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

PB4 booted with PB3 drivers for me and my 970... no driver update and no issues as far as I can tell...

Attached File  pb4970proof.jpeg   98.9KB   43 downloads

IronManJFF

IronManJFF

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Not such universal rule. I've seen and even tried pretty stable betas like Windows 10 previews, those were pretty stable. Usually, betas tend to come quite stable as release date comes around (not trying to be captain obvious here)
besides Apple historically not religiously release their final product in September "This fall" and that is around the corner already. But I understand where you came with this idea from and this is true most of the time.

You seeked advice and I gave you mine, what you with it is your business. Surely, you will die if you don't upgrade now...just do it.

At least, be smart and install it on a different drive or partition to test it if you cannot afford your 'daily driver' to fail

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nvidia web driver, updates, macOS, Sierra

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy