Manually install Clover in Windows

Clover Manual install Configure Boot Priority EasyUEFI Windows How to mount EFI in Windows Legacy Bootsectors install Bootice

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

fusion71au

fusion71au

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Manually install Clover for UEFI booting and configure boot priority with EasyUEFI in Windows

This tutorial will show how to manually install Clover in the EFI system partition of a pre-existing install of UEFI Windows.  In the process, you will also learn how to mount the EFI partition and add Clover as a UEFI boot option (using the EasyUEFI program) in Windows.

Prerequisites
1.  CloverISO from Sourceforge.
2.  7-Zip for Windows
3.  EasyUEFI
4.  Existing UEFI install of Windows X64 (7,8,8.1 or 10)

Obtain Clover
1.  Download the CloverISO.tar.lzma file from Sourceforge and open the file with 7-Zip.

Attached File  01 Download CloverISO.tar.lzma and open with 7zip.png   32.94KB   392 downloads

2.  Extract the Clover subfolder to your \Downloads with 7-Zip.

Attached File  02 Extract Clover folder.png   39.85KB   368 downloads

3.  Copy the Clover folder by right clicking on its icon in Windows File Explorer.

Attached File  03 Copy Clover folder in File Explorer.png   29.39KB   318 downloads

Mounting the EFI System Partition and installing Clover
1.  Open an administrative command prompt by clicking the Windows start button, typing cmd and right clicking on the search result as shown below...

Attached File  04 Open administrative command prompt.png   14.9KB   187 downloads

2.  Type the following commands, followed by <Enter> after each line:

diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the disk number of the disk with UEFI Windows)
list partition
select partition x (where x is the partition number of the EFI system partition.  By default, it is usually the 100MB second partition)
assign letter=s
exit

Attached File  05 Diskpart assign letter to EFI system partition.png   26.31KB   247 downloads

3.  Open Windows Task Manager as administrator by clicking the Windows start button, typing taskmgr and right clicking on the search result as shown below...

Attached File  06 Run Task Manager as administrator.png   23.49KB   179 downloads

4.  Click Run new task

Attached File  07 Run new task.png   35.26KB   196 downloads

5.  Click Browse and in the Browse window, navigate to the EFI folder in the System Partition (which is mapped to drive S:) and also select "All files" from the drop down menu...

Attached File  08 Click Browse and All Files from dropdown list.png   157.36KB   226 downloads

6.  Right click inside the EFI folder to "paste" the Clover folder we downloaded earlier.  If necessary, you can make edits to Clover's default config.plist with Wordpad or add OSX kexts like FakeSMC into the \kexts\other folder while still in the Task Manager browse window.  For UEFI booting into OSX, you will most likely need the OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi or OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi driver in EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI (copy from the \CLOVER\drivers-Off\drivers64UEFI folder).

Attached File  09 Paste Clover folder into EFI folder on disk S.png   144.79KB   261 downloads

7.  Quit Task Manager.

Add Clover as a UEFI Boot Option using the EasyUEFI Program
1.  Open EasyUEFI and click on the small icon with the plus sign (second from top) to add a new entry.

Attached File  10 EasyUEFI Main Screen.png   29.7KB   268 downloads

2.  In the Create Boot Entry Window, choose "Linux or other OS" as the entry type, click to select the EFI System partition as the target and browse to the CLOVERX64.efi file (file path \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi) as shown below...

Attached File  11 Create Boot Entry - select Linux or other OS.png   20.58KB   183 downloads

Attached File  12 Select EFI and browse to CLOVERX64.efi.png   56.69KB   181 downloads

3.  Type Clover in the Description field then the OK button.

Attached File  13 Type Clover in Description field.png   19.05KB   120 downloads

4.  You will now see the new Clover entry on the main GUI of EasyUEFI.  Click on the entry and then click the small up arrow icon to move Clover to the top so it will get priority over the Windows Boot Manager on boot up.  Note on this screen, you can also delete/edit/disable boot entries or move them down the boot order.

Attached File  14 Clover on Main Screen.png   30.68KB   126 downloads

Attached File  15 Move Clover entry up in the boot order.png   29.97KB   97 downloads

5.  Click the power menu and select reboot to restart your system.  You will now be presented with the Clover Main Menu GUI to boot Windows (or OSX).

Attached File  16 Choose to reboot computer.png   31.56KB   95 downloads

Attached File  17 Clover Main Menu Metal.png   983.96KB   100 downloads

Enjoy and Good Hack :) !

Codinger

Codinger

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:Coding : Java

Languages : BG, DE, GB/US

Im the first  :P . Looks good but all our guides are not pinned and no noob can reach them easily  :rofl:

fusion71au

fusion71au

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Manually Install Legacy Clover and prepare GPT disk in Windows (for dual boot UEFI Windows and OSX)

Prerequisites
1.  GPT FDisk aka "GDisk"
2.  7-Zip
3.  Windows X64
4.  Bootice program
5.  Clover ISO downloaded from Sourceforge

Erase Hard Disk to RAW state with Diskpart.exe
Open an administrative command prompt and type the following lines, followed by the <Enter> key after each line....

diskpart
list disk
sel disk # (where # is the disk number of the disk you wish to erase)
clean
exit
Spoiler

Use GDisk to convert the Hard Drive to GPT and create partitions for dual booting UEFI Windows and OSX
In this example, I have a 1 TB hard disk which I plan to divide up as follows....

• Partition 1: 200MB EFI System Partition
  • Partition 2: 128MB Microsoft Reserved Partition
  • Partition 3: 60GB NTFS Partition for Windows
  • Partition 4: 871GB HFS+ Partition for OSX

Notes -

• EFI System Partition is preferably made the first partition for compatibility with OSX.
  • I usually leave 128MB of free space before and after the HFS+ partition or OSX Disk Utility will complain about a lack of "loader space".

1.  Open an administrative command prompt and cd to the gdisk installation folder
2.  Type gdisk64 #: (where # is the disk number of the disk you are creating partitions on - in this example it is disk 1)
3.  Use the following gdisk options:
     n to create a new partition
     x to access the experts menu
     a to change partition special attributes (needed for EFI System Partition)
     m to return to the main gdisk menu
     p to print the partition table
     w to finalize and write changes to the disk

Eg

Spoiler

4.  Use Diskpart to assign drive letters and format the EFI and Windows Partitions to FAT32 and NTFS respectively....

Spoiler

Install legacy Clover bootsectors in Windows

Overview
The Clover wiki describes the legacy booting process:

Essentially BIOS--->MBR--->PBR--->boot--->CLOVERX64.efi--->OSLoader

In terms of the bootsectors we will be using in this tutorial
BIOS--->boot0af in MBR--->boot1f32alt in the PBR of the EFI System Partition--->boot6 in ESP--->CLOVERX64.efi in ESP--->OSLoader

Procedure
1.  Download the CloverISO tar.lzma file from Sourceforge and extract the ISO with 7 Zip
2.  Copy the following boot files from \usr\standalone\i386 folder
     boot0af, boot0ss, boot1f32, boot1f32alt

Attached File  Bootsectors.png   24.95KB   49 downloads

and boot6, boot7 from \usr\standalone\i386\x64 to somewhere convenient

Attached File  Boot6 and Boot7.png   14.15KB   28 downloads

The EFI folder will also be needed later....

Attached File  Clover EFI Folder.png   14.95KB   32 downloads

3.  Open the Bootice program and click Process MBR from the main menu

Attached File  Bootice Main.png   11.13KB   31 downloads

4.  At the Master Boot Record screen, click restore MBR

Attached File  Process MBR.png   20.44KB   29 downloads

5.  For the Restore file, browse to the boot0af or boot0ss file we extracted in step 2

Attached File  Restore MBR.png   251.83KB   28 downloads

6.  Click the Restore button and you should get a confirmation that the operation completed successfully.  Click the close button.

Attached File  Restore MBR2.png   44.63KB   26 downloads

7.  Click Process PBR from the main menu

8.  At the Partition Boot Record screen, select the FAT32 EFI System Partition as the destination and click the Restore PBR button.

Attached File  Process PBR.png   68.86KB   27 downloads

9.  For the Restore file, browse to the boot1f32 or boot1f32alt file we extracted in step 2.  In this example, I used the alternate booting PBR (boot1f32alt), which gives a 3 second pause to enable the user to input his/her choice of boot file during bootup (default is boot6).

Attached File  Restore PBR.png   260.9KB   26 downloads

Attached File  Restore PBR2.png   60.81KB   23 downloads

10. Click the Restore button and you should get a confirmation that the operation completed successfully.  Click the close button and exit the program.
11. Open Task Manager as administrator and open a new task.  Browse "all files" and navigate to the EFI System Partition (which we assigned the drive letter S: earlier).

post-846696-0-98469900-1451035903_thumb.

You should now be able to copy the EFI folder from the Clover ISO (as well as boot6 and boot7) into the EFI System partition.  If you used boot1f32 for your PBR, rename "boot6" to "boot".

Attached File  Mount EFI in TaskManager Browse Window and Copy Clover EFI files over.png   169.99KB   48 downloads

12. Make the necessary edits to the EFI\CLOVER\config.plist for your system and make sure you have FakeSMC.kext in EFI\Clover\kexts\Other.  If you have a DSDT &/or SSDTs that works for your system, place them in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

13. Reboot the computer and it should boot to the Clover Main Menu :) .

Fljagd

Fljagd

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 963 posts

awesome  :thumbsup_anim:

kosakgroove

kosakgroove

Unix Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Interests:The unexpected is the real

Had to do this without guides when my hack suddenly deleted the partition table after running out of battery in sleep mode on Mac OS X. Now at least people know how to do it with this very detailed guide. Thanks.

pippox0

pippox0

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
Good to know
Thanks

Sent from iPhone/iPad

etcetc

etcetc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Thanks a lot for the guide! After messing with dual installation, I couldn't load MAC OS X without USB. Your guide helped, only had to download EasyUEFI and copy Clover folder from my USB.

mfc88

mfc88

Retired

• Donators
  • 605 posts

Thanks a lot for the guide! After messing with dual installation, I couldn't load MAC OS X without USB. Your guide helped, only had to download EasyUEFI and copy Clover folder from my USB.

If you need the USB, then that means you're missing the EFI folder in SSD/HDD's root EFI partition: Installing Clover to EFI root

etcetc

etcetc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

If you need the USB, then that means you're missing the EFI folder in SSD/HDD's root EFI partition: Installing Clover to EFI root

Yeah, I know. I stumbled upon ways to fix it in the Mac OS X and got a lot of helpful advice in another thread, but couldn't make anything work regarding this issue(now I get why, I did some steps wrong).
Using this guide for Windows I fixed everything. Thanks anyway, the link can come handy someday.

Philip Petev

Philip Petev

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Quick tip for mounting and unmounting the EFI partition in WIndows - open elevated Command Prompt (right-click and Run as Administrator) and use the following:

-for mounting

mountvol H: /s

this one will mount the EFI partition as H: (you may use whatever drive letter you want, as long as it's available).

for unmounting

mountvol H: /d

lordscales91

lordscales91

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Oh damn it! I never thought that it would be possible to install Clover from Windows (until I happened to search for it and found this post). I was there man, Sierra was properly installed on its partition and booting, the only problem was I couldn't install Clover from it and booting from the USB would be hassle. Ironically I {censored}ed up the USB installation drive and spent the whole weekend trying to prepare it again, which is quite difficult since I don't have access to a Mac right now and I couldn't manage to run it on VirtualBox.... The only option left is to connect my old drive and boot Mac from there.

cyberdevs

cyberdevs

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,912 posts

Great guide!!

quattrofx

quattrofx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Nice work fusion71au!

I am looking for solution for dualboot, but first, short explanation what i have done till now:

My HW Specs:

HP Z800 Workstation  BIOS V.3.60

2 x Intel® Xeon® processor X5650 2.66 GHz, 12MB cache 1333 MHz memory, 6-Core

24GB DDR3 RAM

GFX: Nvidia QUADRO 6000

Windows 10 on RAID0 LSILogic RAID SAS 1068E Controller ( 3 x 420GB SAS HD)

Backup SAS HD 1TB on LSILogic RAID SAS 1068E Controller

Sierra on Kingston 120GB SSDNow  on SATA port 1

First installed Win10 on RAID0 (LUN0). The Apple Xserves, possibly the Mac Pro RAID Card, use the LSI SAS1068E controller chip as well.

Second installed OS-X Sierra on SSD  with Clover. Aplied EFI to Windows EFI Systempartition, but cannot boot in to the Windows!

Analyzing my system, I noticed that under the system information Sierra recognizes LSILogic RAID controller and single  HD 1TB connected on it, but does not recognize the Windows partition on raid0. Which leads to the conclusion that clover does not recognize Raid0. I spent time searching for a possible solution to identify Raid0 in sierra, but due to specific configuration of my system, there are not many solutions on the net.

I've been thinking about a solution to install the bootloader (Clover, or EasyBCD) on to Windows  EFI partition and boot from it, and to add OS-X Sierra as second entry.

Then I found this post and I think that would be the solution to my problem.

I have only one question:

If I install the  Clover on Windows efi partition, could come to conflict with Clover installed on the OS-X partition ?

PS: this is my first post on InsanelyMac after 6 years of hibernation, where a lot of things happened and changed. I'm glad to be back again and see how the "new kids on the block" rule the matter!

RESPECT!

intelcoresolo320

intelcoresolo320

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for this guide @fusion71au this helped me finally solve my issue of only being able to boot from installer usb! :thumbsup_anim:   I used Clover 3333 because the newer versions didn't have the CLOVER folder (only pkg).  Btw love your Tintin avatar! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clover, Manual install, Configure Boot Priority, EasyUEFI, Windows, How to mount EFI in Windows, Legacy, Bootsectors install, Bootice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy