r9 290 (non-x) yosemited help

Orkaliz

205 posts in this topic

R9 edited kext download link (for dp8)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl4yqhem75bzryv/r9%20290%20dp8.zip?dl=0

(run kext wizard or something like it after you copy over these kext)

So far we have r9 290 working and apparently there is more than one way to do this and I'll try to keep this updated 

Now onto the way I have made it work is to add the r9 290 IDs to the kext AMD8000Controller and AMDRadeonX4000 the ID being 0x67B11002

You can do this your self or download my Kext and copy and paste them into S/L/E use something like kext wizard to repair permissions after! (kext wizard can be found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/253395-kext-wizard-easy-to-use-kext-installer-and-more/ )

if you want to do this your self you are going to want to right click AMD8000controller.kext and click show contents then go to Contents and info.plist

find the line with "<key>Controller</key>"

<key>Controller</key>
		<dict>
			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
			<string>com.apple.kext.AMD8000Controller</string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>AMD8000Controller</string>
			<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
			<string>IOFramebuffer</string>
			<key>IOName</key>
			<string>AMD8000Controller</string>
			<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
			<string>0x45001002 0x46001002 0x66401002 0x66411002 0x66461002 0x66501002 0x66511002 0x665C1002 0x665D1002 0x67B11002</string>
			<key>IOProbeScore</key>
			<integer>65050</integer>
			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
			<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
			<key>aty_config</key>
			<dict>

Under the line "<key>IOPCIMatch</key>" You'll want to add the r9 290 ID (0x67B11002) 

save and close

you'll want to do this exact same thing to the  AMDRadeonX4000.kext

make sure your SMBIOS is set to Mac pro 6.1 in clover! this is the only one I get full res and everything at I don't know about others

now reboot! 

don't forget to boot with kext-dev-mode=1 

now you should boot into OS X with the card fully working!

R9 edited kext download link (for dp8)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl4yqhem75bzryv/r9%20290%20dp8.zip?dl=0

Known issues as of now

1. Dual monitors do not work (unless you have more than one r9 290)

2. Screen flashing/jumping upon boot (a temp fix is to just unplug the video cable from the back wait 2 seconds or so and plug it back in)

3. If you are using 2 cards you will get window server errors causing the screen to freeze on and off until a perma freeze takes place you will need to hard reset after this point

and as always please share your findings to help others! 

Yeah that was a bad idea lol flashed to sapphire 290 to  290x got a black screen so i bricked a card took me a bit to unbrick it worst of all i'm back where i started ...life is hard..... on the other hand i did update both my cards while i was at it to the new sapphire 290 bios so some good came of it...i guess

any other ideas?

I don't think you can do that on any r9 290 from what i read awhile back http://www.overclock.net/t/1443242/the-r9-290-290x-unlock-thread 

unless you can still do it you just won't get the boost? i don't know 

Actually,

if your card is locked by software, flash 290x BIOS can unlock all 2816 cores.

if your card is locked by hardware, flash 290x BIOS can let 290 looks like a 290x, but only have 2560 cores and improve a little performance(core clock from 947 to 1000MHz).

So, maybe you can try it.

Is there a chance that the R9 295x2 might work now? Because I'm really quite keen on that card.. or would the onboard crossfire that links the twin GPU's together make it unusable in mac os?

The ID for the 295X is inside the new 9000 series driver, so I'd guess there is some form of support, but it would probably work as a single (X1) GPU, so I'm doubtful it would be advantageous to buy such a beast for OS X only, even if QE/CI for it is confirmed - which is not, yet.

The ID for the 295X is inside the new 9000 series driver, so I'd guess there is some form of support, but it would probably work as a single (X1) GPU, so I'm doubtful it would be advantageous to buy such a beast for OS X only, even if QE/CI for it is confirmed - which is not, yet.

Not exactly. It's DID of R9 M295X, mobile version of Tonga, not the X2 (679B) Vesuvius.

• Like 1

R9 290 can fully work with QE/CI!
This guide not working for me, but if I add R9 290X DevID to FakeID everything works perfectly!

For future starts you need add id to clover config file and enable ATI injection too.
Modified kexts for lazy people is below.

<key>ATI</key>
<string>0x67B01002</string>

<key>ATI</key>
<true/>
This work very good for me. Even after update! No kexts needed.
(System view it as R9 290x (AMD8xxx), which is supported OOB)

Here is small info about my computer:

Asus X79 Deluxe
i7 4930K
2xR9 290

Edited by Toooorch

Yeah i messed around with it some more and I don't even need the fakeID thing any more it just kinda started working I think its the IDs i put in the kext I don't think they was loading when I did it before i noticed that when i ran kext wizard...i rebooted and used kextload -v to load the 8000controller and the x4000 one and now it works without injecting anything so i took it out of my config.plist

R9 290 can fully work with QE/CI!
This guide not working for me, but if I add R9 290X DevID to FakeID everything works perfectly!

For future starts you need add id to clover config file and enable ATI injection too.
Modified kexts for lazy people is below.

<key>ATI</key>
<string>0x67B01002</string>

<key>ATI</key>
<true/>

Do you ever get a windowserver error that freezes and unfreezes the screen at times? I have no idea what is causing it the only thing I can think of is where i'm using two r9 290s for dual monitor support and I reeeeally don't want to open my computer up and take one out v.v

EDIT: yeah the 2 cards are causing a bunch of windowserver errors when i just use one monitor and card the errors stop i think this might be just yosemite 

It's very weird situation for me, because on my second computer i can't get graphic card to work. 

Here is no method that would work... Each method ends with a black screen after booting... I can't solved this, because i don't see anything on display... boot looks good

I feel, power management working, because monitor is asleep after minutes...

(Asus P6T SE, i7 960, R9 290)

It's very weird situation for me, because on my second computer i can't get graphic card to work. 
Here is no method that would work... Each method ends with a black screen after booting... I can't solved this, because i don't see anything on display... boot looks good
I feel, power management working, because monitor is asleep after minutes...

(Asus P6T SE, i7 960, R9 290)

I don't know but after 2 or 3 installs the one that always works for me is just adding the IDs to the kexts the only time i get black screens is when i have 2 monitors hooked to one card

I am using the same kexts to get my Bonaire card (mobile FirePro M6100) working.  I've patched it and got LVDS working.  I'm suffering, however, not having multiple monitor support -- has anyone figured out anything regarding that?

For me, plugging in more than one monitors results in a lock up that can't be resolved without rebooting.

Does DP2 change anything? Maybe a new FB other than Baladi?  I'm still on DP1.

Also, can anyone confirm if sleep and wake works for them?  For me, I can sleep, but waking up gives me no graphics.

Thanks!

DP1 works fine with me on my r9 290, with flickering and animation lag. My Mac showed my r9 290 as AMD radeon 8XXX with 4 GB of ram.  DP2 is not working at all, any ways to fix the flickering and animation lags?

DP1 works fine with me on my r9 290, with flickering and animation lag. My Mac showed my r9 290 as AMD radeon 8XXX with 4 GB of ram.  DP2 is not working at all, any ways to fix the flickering and animation lags?

Yeah for the flickering just unplug the video cable from your card wait like 2 seconds and plug it back in  

kext edits should work in dp2 they do for me just download mine and put them in your kext folder 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...