HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

Hi RehabMan

Could you give me a clover settings screenshot ? Like what to select and what not to.

This would help me a lot.

Thanks.

See where it says "Install for UEFI motherboards" and "Install Clover in the ESP"?

• Like 1

Thanks for your quick response .

I'll try to do the rest then,
Oh one thing , Is there any need to "Install boot0af in MBR" and "Use alternative booting PBR"  now.
I think, I also have to clear nvram to update clover .

Thanks for your quick response .

I'll try to do the rest then,

Oh one thing , Is there any need to "Install boot0af in MBR" and "Use alternative booting PBR"  now.

I think, I also have to clear nvram to update clover .

boot0af/etc are legacy only. Nothing to do with UEFI boot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I'm already three weeks trying to OSX on my new bought HP Envy 15t j051nr, I have iATKOS M, ML3, and so forth already tried, always unsuccessfully, I know it's a difficult hack but am a bit thinking that it is impossible to get OSX on my laptop, I  been looking at this part of the forum for solutions without success, the farthest I get is that the install wheel from apple install continues rotate, and perform no further installs. 

I can use all the advice and help, thanks in advance, and thumbs up for your work.

Go download mavericks 10.9.dmg , install clover on your usb and make bootable Installer of Mavericks , Patch mach_kernel and move it to your usb .

And then ofcourse make proper use of gygabyte666 's excellent thread .

Try to read the full thread , then ask question.

Hope you get success.

• Like 2

Has anyone else experienced HD4600 graphical glitches starting with the 10.9.4 update? For the record, up until 10.9.4, using 0600260a has been working great. Odd.

UPDATE: Since Mavericks' release, i've kept a list of Azul FB changes for my ig-platform-id and I made a patch to revert the current (10.9.4) AzulFB back to the way it was on 10.9.2. I recall having graphical issues after 10.9.3 too and since I remember running 10.9.2 basically flawlessly, this was the most logical update to choose for this. After the patch is applied and the cache rebuilt, I am no longer having graphical weirdness like I was before. I'll keep an eye on it and update this if something goes wrong. Oh and of course, I added my HDMI audio patch to it as well and that is also once again functioning normally. ;-p

I'd still like to know if others are experiencing this too though. If this is indeed affecting multiple people, I will add it to the first post.

How about HDA issues? My audio has stopped working as of the 10.9.4 update. I did discover that it works fine if I boot without caches but a rebuild/normal boot will break it again. Anyone else or is this just me? I need to figure out if this is just a setup error on my part or if this is affecting multiple people.

I'm starting to wonder if my BIOS update to F.56 broke some things...Cuz, that would suck. Thanks! ^_^

UPDATE: I goofed! It only needed a required DSDT that I missed and forgot to add back in. Audio is back to working order again. Oops, but it happens. Worth noting that my DSDT slip up did NOT affect the graphic issues I was having. I can still see them if booting w/o caches.

Hi gygabyte666 actually I have the same graphic glitches on 10.9.3 as yours! It would be great if you could upload your Azul FB patch!

Shame you're experiencing the same issue. I was really hoping others were free from it. Thanks for letting me know. ^_^

The first post has been updated with the patch and more detailed info about the issue itself. Now then, you have two options here:

1) You could just replace the Azul kext from 10.9.3/10.9.4 with the working one from 10.9.2 and that should fix the issues.

-OR-

2) You could update to 10.9.4 and then use the patch I put together to do the same thing. This method just keeps /S/L/E clean and free of modifications. My patch also fixes the FB to make HDMI audio work properly. Here is the Clover patch:

<key>Comment</key>
<string>[10.9.4] HD 4600 HDMI Audio FB Revert Patch 10.9.4 -> 10.9.2</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAwAQAAYAAAAABg2QoAANkKAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAACAACAAAAMAAAAAEFCQAABAAAhwAAAAIE
CQAABAAAhwAAAP8AAAABAAAAQAAAAA8AAAABAQAABAAA
AAAAAAA=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAAAQAAYAAAAABA2QoAANkKAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAEAACAAAAMAAAAAEFEgAABAAAhwAAAAIE
CQAACAAAhwAAAP8AAQABAAAAQAAAAA8AAAABAQAABAAA
AAAAAAA=
</data>

After adding the patch to your config.plist, be sure to boot without caches and rebuild everything and you should be good to go. Enjoy! :D

Hello gygabyte,

You have been very helpful so far in my efforts to get OSX Mavericks working on my HP Envy 17t-k000 that I just recently bought, however, I have failed each time trying the process, and I believe it is in part because I am unfamiliar with the kind of patching that needs to be done with my system to get it to work.

I've read the entire thread and still don't have a concise step-by-step method for installing OS X Mavericks on my Envy. If I could just get the system installed (create a bootable USB with the correct patches and bootloader, and know the correct boot flags), then I am confident I can easily handle the post installation. 

As I am new to this, my question is simply what steps do I need to take with the configuration files you uploaded to get this working?

Actually, I was kind of overwhelmed by the breadth of all the information out there that I was scared to quite start. 

I am happy to report I almost have an installed Mavericks installation on my HP Envy, I am now just working through the IOBluetoothHCI -- completed: start error. I am positive from reading and my observations it is only my graphics card, so I am working through removing some kexts and then booting with GraphicsEnabler=No afterwards. 

I have your system files for the HP Envy (albeit a bit older), but I only used RehabMan's Kernel Path for the NullCpuPowerManagement issue with the Haswell processor reboot problem. As soon as I get this working, I am going to start working through your files and getting my system up and running. 

I never had to modify my BIOS to get this far, and as I understand you have NOT replaced your board correct? Still the HP motherboard with Insyde I assume. Definitely saved me some time.

As soon as I have progress I will update you and the rest of the thread and we can compare our systems if you like, as mine is just a newer version of your HP (I just had it custom built in early July).

I have an Intel HD4400 integrated card and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M discrete card. I've read that the HD4400 is not natively supported, so how do I enable only the NVIDIA card? I used MyHack to create the USB installer and can get booted to the error described in my last post, but not past it. 

Can anyone help with this?

I have an Intel HD4400 integrated card and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M discrete card. I've read that the HD4400 is not natively supported, so how do I enable only the NVIDIA card? I used MyHack to create the USB installer and can get booted to the error described in my last post, but not past it. 

Can anyone help with this?

I will keep this simple. MyHack and the tools from that site are not supported or endorsed by this forum. 9/10, cries for help using those tools fall on deaf ears around here. If you continue relying on them, then you should seek assistance using their forum instead.

Ok I understand that, but it was the only way to get it on my hp envy on my ssd in the manner described here am I still unable, how often I read the explanation, I can on a installing external hd but not on an internal HD or SSD, once I'll find out, but in the meantime I have been helped a bit.

Could someone please point me to a guide on how to disable nvidia...

Its probably PCI0.PEG0.PEGP in my ssdt.

@gygabyte666: I tried your patched AppleHDA for sometime.

Then I took the time to patched one myself, and also added volume control for internal mic, ambient noise reduction and Line-in microphone through headphone jack.

Just to let you know...  :)

In the SSDT where your nvidia GFX device is defined, call _OFF from _INI.

Hello, can anyone tell me what I need to do to get my sound working I currently use all of kext's and file's from gygabyte666, RehabMan, and everything works but my sound does not, also i like the known how I can run OS X update 10.9.2 to 10.9.4, can I do this in the normal way Apple udate?

Thanks one advance.

Hello, can anyone tell me what I need to do to get my sound working I currently use all of kext's and file's from gygabyte666, RehabMan, and everything works but my sound does not, also i like the known how I can run OS X update 10.9.2 to 10.9.4, can I do this in the normal way Apple udate?

Thanks one advance.

You need to have the kext and appropriate DSDT patches...

In the SSDT where your nvidia GFX device is defined, call _OFF from _INI.

I tried this, but it didn't work. So i used your ACPI Debug patch and kext. 

Turns out that message from _INI of PEG0.PEGP is never returned. Is it not being initialised or what?

I even tried calling PEGP._OFF from PCI0._INI in dsdt

\RMDT.PUSH("Entering PCI0_INI")
\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF ()
\RMDT.PUSH("Moving past PEGP._OFF in dsdt")
The first message shows up in console. But the second doesn't. Any thoughts/suggestion?
Also I've deleted GeForce and NVDA kexts from S/L/E (including NVDAStartup.kext). Is this required?
FYI, message from IGPU._INI also don't show up in console. SSDTs are being loaded, as it says in clover log.

I tried this, but it didn't work. So i used your ACPI Debug patch and kext. 

Turns out that message from _INI of PEG0.PEGP is never returned. Is it not being initialised or what?

I even tried calling PEGP._OFF from PCI0._INI in dsdt

\RMDT.PUSH("Entering PCI0_INI")
\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF ()
\RMDT.PUSH("Moving past PEGP._OFF in dsdt")
The first message shows up in console. But the second doesn't. Any thoughts/suggestion?

Either the _OFF method is doing something that is not allowed and is causing the ACPI interpreter to abort, or the _OFF method itself is unreachable/not loaded due to some other problem in your setup (eg. forgot to rename GFX0 to IGPU somewhere, duplicate _DSM methods, etc.)

Further instrument the _OFF method so you know where...

Also I've deleted GeForce and NVDA kexts from S/L/E (including NVDAStartup.kext). Is this required?

Not necessary once you successfully disable it. And I think you can use nv_disable=1 to disable nvidia kexts...

FYI, message from IGPU._INI also don't show up in console. SSDTs are being loaded, as it says in clover log.

Just because the bootloader loads the SSDTs, does not mean they'll be accepted by OS X. You can try to disassemble your set with 'iasl -da *.aml'. If iasl has trouble disassembling them as a group, OS X will assuredly have trouble loading them. It doesn't catch all the problems. For example, it won't catch order dependencies, or unbalanced renames, but it will catch duplicate _DSM methods.

• Like 1

@gygabyte666: I tried your patched AppleHDA for sometime.

Then I took the time to patched one myself, and also added volume control for internal mic, ambient noise reduction and Line-in microphone through headphone jack.

Just to let you know...  :)

If you wouldn't mind, could you up your AppleHDA for examination? Thanks.

If you wouldn't mind, could you up your AppleHDA for examination? Thanks.

I use DummyHDA.kext with modified layout and platform xml, and patch AppleHDA with clover.

Though I must tell you, it has problems.

1. Sometimes (rarely) after wake, headphone doesn't get recognised when plugged in. Have to make the system wake with headphone plugged in, then it works fine.

2. Changing sound level with Fn keys and volume slider are not synchronised. Set slider to half, increase volume by one unit using the Fn keys, it goes to max directly. But it works fine with headphone plugged in.

3. The volume icon in menu bar shows either max volume icon or mute icon, when changing volume with Fn keys (for internal speakers). Changing with slider shows proper icons.

4. Occasionally the line-in mic stops working after few seconds. Have to replug it. (not sure why. could be due to power saving.)

5. The volume level on microphone in Dictation & Speech, seems to be unaffected by internal mic volume slider. However it works fine with skype.

If you find a cure, please let me know. Thanks.

DummyHDA 111d76e0.zip

• Like 1

I use DummyHDA.kext with modified layout and platform xml, and patch AppleHDA with clover.

Thanks. I'll do some testing and keep you posted of results. In the meantime, maybe this will help ease some of your concerns...

1. Sometimes (rarely) after wake, headphone doesn't get recognised when plugged in. Have to make the system wake with headphone plugged in, then it works fine.

Common problem, mine does this as well. My tower will also do this on occasion and it uses ALC892, a very well supported and widely used OS X codec.

2. Changing sound level with Fn keys and volume slider are not synchronised. Set slider to half, increase volume by one unit using the Fn keys, it goes to max directly. But it works fine with headphone plugged in.

3. The volume icon in menu bar shows either max volume icon or mute icon, when changing volume with Fn keys (for internal speakers). Changing with slider shows proper icons.

More common problems with our codec. I've been experiencing these since 10.8.5.

4. Occasionally the line-in mic stops working after few seconds. Have to replug it. (not sure why. could be due to power saving.)

Hmm, thanks for the heads up, i'll try to do testing on this if I can. If I had to guess my bet is also on power saving but it could be a relationship between problems #2 & #3.

5. The volume level on microphone in Dictation & Speech, seems to be unaffected by internal mic volume slider. However it works fine with skype.

Another issue I have done little testing with. As before, I will attempt to test when/if I can.
  • Like 1

I think its done... Thanks  :thumbsup_anim:

Either the _OFF method is doing something that is not allowed and is causing the ACPI interpreter to abort, or the _OFF method itself is unreachable/not loaded due to some other problem in your setup (eg. forgot to rename GFX0 to IGPU somewhere, duplicate _DSM methods, etc.)

I put my aml’s in a folder and tried disassembling. Error saying duplicate _DSM for IGPU (just as you said). Fixed it. But still _OFF was not reachable.

Just because the bootloader loads the SSDTs, does not mean they'll be accepted by OS X.

Put a custom method (with RMDT.PUSH) under IGPU, in one ssdt and called it from DSDT. Turns out, one of the two SSDTs is not loading (although I could see it in MaciASL > New from ACPI).

So I merged the two SSDTs into one. Fixed Errors. (was easier than I thought. Hope I didn't screw it up...  :whistle:)

Now SSDT is loading fine. PEGP._INI and _OFF are reachable. Nvidia is shut down, I suppose.

Nvidia Chip not being displayed in System Information > Graphics/Display (Only Intel HD 4600)

No PEGP in ioreg. (It was under PEG0 earlier).

1. Now I want to ask, do I need to call the PEGP._OFF method from _WAK as well (to shut it after wake?)

2. As I read on some posts, the method can restore battery backup upto 2x. But I tend to see little difference here, may be 15-20%, or I might even be delusional about that. With usage I see it improve to 50-60%, closing in to what I get on Windows.

3. Also, is the CPU temperature supposed to lower down using this method? I think its lower by 3-5˚C, or could it be just a less hot day today.

4. Talking of battery sucker, could my P-states be a problem, I don't get any states b/w 8-25, only 8, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30.

5. If I boot using any smbios other than macbook air 6,2, I get an error "This version of mac os x is not supported on this platform. Reason: <board-id>". Any suggestion?

I hope its not too much to ask...  :)

Thanks. I'll do some testing and keep you posted of results. In the meantime, maybe this will help ease some of your concerns...

Thanks for the info... Its kind of relieving  :)

So I merged the two SSDTs into one. Fixed Errors. (was easier than I thought. Hope I didn't screw it up...  :whistle:)

Now SSDT is loading fine. PEGP._INI and _OFF are reachable. Nvidia is shut down, I suppose.

You might try re-ordering the files (or... if you changed the order from original, follow the original order).

Things fail when one SSDT injects objects into a non-existing path (eg. a path defined in a later SSDT). Merging can fix too, but only because they load as one. You might take a look at it, since merging is much more difficult than patching individual files.

1. Now I want to ask, do I need to call the PEGP._OFF method from _WAK as well (to shut it after wake?)

Probably not, but sometimes you need to call _ON from _PTS and _OFF from _WAK to prevent certain problems on shutdown/restart.

4. Talking of battery sucker, could my P-states be a problem, I don't get any states b/w 8-25, only 8, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30.

Test with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext.

5. If I boot using any smbios other than macbook air 6,2, I get an error "This version of mac os x is not supported on this platform. Reason: <board-id>". Any suggestion?

You need to update your OS X.

• Like 1