HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

@gygabyte666

Just thought I'd let you know that one other person had the same issue you have with ACPIBacklight.kext not working. He also had nvidia/optimus. I know we kind of let it go by the wayside...

But in the process of helping him, I decided to make some updates to my Envy repo. And... I've added the capability to patch DSDT/SSDT set in the case the laptop has nvidia graphics (optimus). The additional patches are to disable the nvidia chip.

His brightness was broken until we got the patches squared away to disable the nvidia. Or it at least appears that way.

To use it, you use it just like normal, but specify OPTIMUS=1 on the command line.

eg.

./disassemble.sh
make OPTIMUS=1 patch
make OPTIMUS=1
make OPTIMUS=1 install
The code assumes, of course, that your native files are copied to linux_native subdirectory of the repo.

The thread is on another site (if you know what I mean) for user rootss and his HP Envy 17-j016sr.

Link to repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch

• Like 2

Thanks to this topic and his author(I'm using his files) and a guide I found on TonymacX86's site I managed to install OS X Mavericks on my notebook ( HP ENVY Touchsmart 17-j141nr).I would like to thank all people that helped him to achieve this. Really thank's!  But, as the only thing that is working just so so is wifi+bluetooth (bluetooth works sometimes wifi not). I will ask some help here.

I read somewhere that HP has a whitelist of wifi cards allowed to be installed but I couldn't find. Does someone know if I could install one  of this cards: Azurewave ar5b95 or

Azurewave ar5b91? I would like to buy the Azurewave AW ce123h but where a I live I couldn't find anywhere.

Thanks to this topic and his author(I'm using his files) and a guide I found on TonymacX86's site I managed to install OS X Mavericks on my notebook ( HP ENVY Touchsmart 17-j141nr).I would like to thank all people that helped him to achieve this. Really thank's!  But, as the only thing that is working just so so is wifi+bluetooth (bluetooth works sometimes wifi not). I will ask some help here.

I read somewhere that HP has a whitelist of wifi cards allowed to be installed but I couldn't find. Does someone know if I could install one  of this cards: Azurewave ar5b95 or

Azurewave ar5b91? I would like to buy the Azurewave AW ce123h but where a I live I couldn't find anywhere.

As far as BIOS whitelist, refer to the service manual from HP. When I had my Envy 15, it came with a broadcom WiFi card that was supported with only device-id injection, so even if there is a whitelist, it is very possible to find a card that is both on the whitelist and compatible with OS X.

@gygabyte666

Just thought I'd let you know that one other person had the same issue you have with ACPIBacklight.kext not working. He also had nvidia/optimus. I know we kind of let it go by the wayside...

But in the process of helping him, I decided to make some updates to my Envy repo. And... I've added the capability to patch DSDT/SSDT set in the case the laptop has nvidia graphics (optimus). The additional patches are to disable the nvidia chip.

His brightness was broken until we got the patches squared away to disable the nvidia. Or it at least appears that way.

To use it, you use it just like normal, but specify OPTIMUS=1 on the command line.

eg.

./disassemble.sh
make OPTIMUS=1 patch
make OPTIMUS=1
make OPTIMUS=1 install
The code assumes, of course, that your native files are copied to linux_native subdirectory of the repo.

The thread is on another site (if you know what I mean) for user rootss and his HP Envy 17-j016sr.

You have achieved what I thought would be impossible(At least every single place I searched "said" so). Does this patch really turn nvdia card off saving power? My dream now is choose between Nvidia or Intel Graphics. It would be so nice to override optimus or much better if someone could make this thing work on regular notebooks.

You have achieved what I thought would be impossible(At least every single place I searched "said" so). Does this patch really turn nvdia card off saving power? My dream now is choose between Nvidia or Intel Graphics. It would be so nice to override optimus or much better if someone could make this thing work on regular notebooks.

Turning off the discrete GPU in a switched dual-GPU configuration has been understood for quite some time. My technique (calling _OFF from _INI or _REG) is one of the simpler techniques (although for the noob, it is still full of gotchas). My makefile simply automates the process of patching, making human error less likely.

As far as verifying extended battery life, that is something that those with the hardware will have to test. I don't have my Envy anymore, and it didn't have optimus anyway. Note: testing should involve measuring idle power draw at the wall without a battery installed (use a Kill-A-Watt or other device like it).

Disabling nvidia, however, is not the same as being able to dynamically switch between them. That, of course, is still unsupported.

The advantage of switching nvidia off via patched ACPI files is that you can leave it enabled in BIOS so it can still be used when running Windows.

I'm not sure what you mean by "...make this thing work on regular notebooks". Define "this thing." And define "regular notebooks."

Turning off the discrete GPU in a switched dual-GPU configuration has been understood for quite some time. My technique (calling _OFF from _INI or _REG) is one of the simpler techniques (although for the noob, it is still full of gotchas). My makefile simply automates the process of patching, making human error less likely.

As far as verifying extended battery life, that is something that those with the hardware will have to test. I don't have my Envy anymore, and it didn't have optimus anyway. Note: testing should involve measuring idle power draw at the wall without a battery installed (use a Kill-A-Watt or other device like it).

Disabling nvidia, however, is not the same as being able to dynamically switch between them. That, of course, is still unsupported.

The advantage of switching nvidia off via patched ACPI files is that you can leave it enabled in BIOS so it can still be used when running Windows.

I'm not sure what you mean by "...make this thing work on regular notebooks". Define "this thing." And define "regular notebooks."say" nvidia optimus on non apple notebooks. 

Rehabman, sorry for my poor english. I just wrote in a way that people where I'm from sometimes express themselves. "This thing" "regular notebooks" Nvidia Optimus on non Apple Notebooks. But you just explained in you reply.

Sorry for disturb. I bought my machine envy 17 j184nr few months ago. And I find your guidance here.  When I try to install OS X. Something wrong happened --"still waiting for rooting device".I try to find it in bios, but failed.Then I try to use AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext. I failed again. Could you tell me how to solve this problem.Thank you ~

Sorry for disturb. I bought my machine envy 17 j184nr few months ago. And I find your guidance here.  When I try to install OS X. Something wrong happened --"still waiting for rooting device".I try to find it in bios, but failed.Then I try to use AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext. I failed again. Could you tell me how to solve this problem.Thank you ~

Are you using Clover?

Yes. Can you help me? The bios is InsydeH20.

Well, assuming that the only difference your notebook model from mine is the processor as I think and you want to install OS X Mavericks, I would make sure that bios version is f.56 

Make a usb bootable installer. Please use clover guide of tonymacx86 site for this. Just make sure to use UEFI mode. (I used  10.9.4_ENVY_08282014.zip on the first page in the process of make the installer).

I used this setting on bios: virtualisation technology disabled, action keys mode disabled, intel smart connect technology disabled, usb3.0 configuration in Pre-OS Auto

in boot Options: Legacy support disabled, secure boot disabled.

I've successfully installed and got Mavericks running better than I was expecting. But I erased the entire hard disk. So if want keep windows I don't know if what I did would work for you. Today I will try to install Windows on the same hard disk but I don't mind using just OS X.

@gygabyte666

eg.

Hello Rehabman! Again thanks for the patch , and all the help!! Actualy mine is an Envy 15T, but the thread is from a 17...

Just want to let you know my current situation. Before the patch, I had glitched screen, and my F2, F3 controlling the "sun icon" but no change in brightness.

After the patch, I still have glitched screen every time I boot, but, to fix, I log out and log in, then the glitches are gone. And I have brightness control at any moment.

For Audio I have used Rehabmans patch and have only the speakers under the laptop working.

THank You

Hello Rehabman! Again thanks for the patch , and all the help!! Actualy mine is an Envy 15T, but the thread is from a 17...

These Envy's of various sizes share a lot in common.

Just want to let you know my current situation. Before the patch, I had glitched screen, and my F2, F3 controlling the "sun icon" but no change in brightness.

After the patch, I still have glitched screen every time I boot, but, to fix, I log out and log in, then the glitches are gone. And I have brightness control at any moment.

You might try setting a color profile and see if it helps you avoid the login/logout.

For Audio I have used Rehabmans patch and have only the speakers under the laptop working.

Note that my patch_hda.sh script simply creates an injector suitable for use with Clover boot (config.plist patches for binary). The Platform/layout/PinConfig data come from the AppleHDA.kext that was originally in post #1, this thread at the time I started hacking my Envy 15.

Note that my patch_hda.sh script simply creates an injector suitable for use with Clover boot (config.plist patches for binary). The Platform/layout/PinConfig data come from the AppleHDA.kext that was originally in post #1, this thread at the time I started hacking my Envy 15.

I see... Could someone please share the AppleHDA with the right PinConfig??? I see only the VoodooHDA, and I wouldn't want to use it... Many thanks!

I see... Could someone please share the AppleHDA with the right PinConfig??? I see only the VoodooHDA, and I wouldn't want to use it... Many thanks!

The AppleHDA injector you already have has it...

At some point I'll compare my data with the injector in post #1 and see if anything has changed...

There is some recent discussion about changes to the AppleHDA patch data, but I'm not sure if those discussions/changes are reflected in the injector in post #1. Since I don't have the laptop anymore, it is not something I paid a great deal of attention to.

@gygabyte666

eg.

./disassemble.sh
make OPTIMUS=1 patch
make OPTIMUS=1
make OPTIMUS=1 install

Very cool! As usual, my reply is late and I don't have time to test this ATM as I am lacking Xcode and that alone will take a bit of time to download on my current connection speeds but I will certainly be testing this in the near future and keep you posted on results. Thanks for thinking of us on this one. ;p

There is some recent discussion about changes to the AppleHDA patch data, but I'm not sure if those discussions/changes are reflected in the injector in post #1. Since I don't have the laptop anymore, it is not something I paid a great deal of attention to.

Not really no. The injector provided on post #1 is pretty much identical to every other version I had posted before it. The exception being that nrjmadan added in a couple useful fixes for the microphone. The newer one that I have has both front/bottom speakers working but it hasn't been posted yet. That's for a future release. I'm pretty sure the PinConfig data is the same in the current one too.

Well, assuming that the only difference your notebook model from mine is the processor as I think and you want to install OS X Mavericks, I would make sure that bios version is f.56 

Make a usb bootable installer. Please use clover guide of tonymacx86 site for this. Just make sure to use UEFI mode. (I used  10.9.4_ENVY_08282014.zip on the first page in the process of make the installer).

I used this setting on bios: virtualisation technology disabled, action keys mode disabled, intel smart connect technology disabled, usb3.0 configuration in Pre-OS Auto

in boot Options: Legacy support disabled, secure boot disabled.

I've successfully installed and got Mavericks running better than I was expecting. But I erased the entire hard disk. So if want keep windows I don't know if what I did would work for you. Today I will try to install Windows on the same hard disk but I don't mind using just OS X.

Hi.Thanks for your tips,  I've tried all these days, finally, I successfully enter the installer, however, the screen was in a mess.There stripes full fill the window, and I can't see the details clearly.There are some possibilities : 

1. I've updated the bios to f.64 before I found this topic.

2. Maybe is ig-platform-id ? could you tell me which one  works well  on your machine?

3. Could you tell me how to find a correct BoardSerialNumber and SerialNumber?

If all the above won't work. I'll erase the entire HD, And install Mavericks only. :)

Thank you.

Hi.Thanks for your tips,  I've tried all these days, finally, I successfully enter the installer, however, the screen was in a mess.There stripes full fill the window, and I can't see the details clearly.There are some possibilities : 

1. I've updated the bios to f.64 before I found this topic.

2. Maybe is ig-platform-id ? could you tell me which one  works well  on your machine?

3. Could you tell me how to find a correct BoardSerialNumber and SerialNumber?

If all the above won't work. I'll erase the entire HD, And install Mavericks only. :)

Thank you.

I forgot to mention the messing installer screen. Try closing notebook lid and immediately open it again and you should get the installer.

About bios I'm not sure if you will be able to use the same dsdt file but I would try if I were you. I'm "almost" sure a dsdt is specific to a bios version but I'm not completely  sure. If I couldn't get all things working I would revert bios and last edit dsdt myself. 

I found SerialNumber on bios and copied to config.plist I downloaded from first page of this

and I the only edit to config.plist I made. 

I erased the entire hd as I don't mind using just os x. 

Good luck

I forgot to mention the messing installer screen. Try closing notebook lid and immediately open it again and you should get the installer.

About bios I'm not sure if you will be able to use the same dsdt file but I would try if I were you. I'm "almost" sure a dsdt is specific to a bios version but I'm not completely  sure. If I couldn't get all things working I would revert bios and last edit dsdt myself. 

I found SerialNumber on bios and copied to config.plist I downloaded from first page of this

Good luck

DSDT is specific to a given exact machine configuration (BIOS version, BIOS options, memory installed, WiFi installed, etc).

Using a DSDT from another computer is a bad idea. Always patch your own native DSDT.

DSDT is specific to a given exact machine configuration (BIOS version, BIOS options, memory installed, WiFi installed, etc).

Using a DSDT from another computer is a bad idea. Always patch your own native DSDT.

OK, I really didn't know that was so strictly. I'm just a little curious as my notebook is not the as the @gygabyte666 and installation went fine and everything is working except wifi and card that I didn't test. 

OK, I really didn't know that was so strictly. I'm just a little curious as my notebook is not the as the @gygabyte666 and 

installation went fine and everything is working except wifi and card that I didn't test. 

The problem is that the addresses for various OperationRegion objects can vary (mostly SystemMemory). If there is a mis-match, best case is things might not work properly, and worst case the system might be mysteriously unstable.

If you know what you're doing, you can check the OperationRegion objects for differences between your native DSDT and the DSDT you're thinking of using. But if you know how to do that, you likely know how to patch your own DSDT. So my suggestion: always patch your own native DSDT.

Personally, I don't know why people post their patched DSDT binaries. They are next to useless. Better to describe the process by which the patched DSDT/SSDTs are created.

• Like 1

Good luck

1."Try closing notebook lid and immediately open it again" helped me get the installer.

2.The BIOS is quite a big problem. I've tried to revert it back.But all in vain.

The technician told me the BIOS version f.56 is no longer for my device. 

So I want to told you never try to update BIOS. Or you will like me.

3.After I get the installer, I open the diskutil, but the installer can't identify my hdd. I can only install it on my USB.Maybe the BIOS?

4.My laptop's SerialNumber is ---5CG4060QLJ. So I edit the config.plist like this: 

<key>SerialNumber</key>

<string>5CG4060QLJ</string>
   Am  I right?
   But where can I find the BoardSerialNumber? I didn't add it to config.plist.
:(

1."Try closing notebook lid and immediately open it again" helped me get the installer.

2.The BIOS is quite a big problem. I've tried to revert it back.But all in vain.

The technician told me the BIOS version f.56 is no longer for my device. 

So I want to told you never try to update BIOS. Or you will like me.

3.After I get the installer, I open the diskutil, but the installer can't identify my hdd. I can only install it on my USB.Maybe the BIOS?

4.My laptop's SerialNumber is ---5CG4060QLJ. So I edit the config.plist like this: 

<key>SerialNumber</key>

<string>5CG4060QLJ</string>
   Am  I right?
   But where can I find the BoardSerialNumber? I didn't add it to config.plist.
:(

I would like to help you but, in the process of attempt this, RehabMan alerted me of the proper way of using a dsdt file. So, forget I "told" before as my notebook is different from yours (bios version, processor and maybe many other things).The best thing I can do for now is to advise you to generate a dsdt and ask for help if you face some difficult. 

I myself will edit my own dsdt as this seems essential to get OS X working on notebook. 

Again, about serial number board serial number I, I think this is related to get iMessages and App Store to log in I've have tested and is not working here. In rapid search I read that Clover Configurator can generate a working serial to fix. I will try and confirm. Or maybe someone can confirm before me.