New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

I was informed by bellcow that the prebuilt binaries of version 2.0.0 don't work on Mountain Lion. I pushed a modified version which fixes the issue to GitHub. In case you are still running ML, please build from source. Users with Mavericks and newer aren't affected of the problem so that there is no need for an update.

Mieze

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the latest beta, public beta 3. I can't seem to be able to load the kext! Tried with rootless and kext dev mode, no use. Works fine on yosemite.

I usually don't test the beta releases but I've never had any problems with ethernet kext.

I have the latest beta, public beta 3. I can't seem to be able to load the kext! Tried with rootless and kext dev mode, no use. Works fine on yosemite.

I usually don't test the beta releases but I've never had any problems with ethernet kext.

Hi - Read this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307427-1011-beta-6-ethernet-quit-working/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mieze,

Great job on the driver. I like how you slide in a "please don't support tonymacx86.com!" in your Console log. :):thumbsup_anim:

Aanyway, I just installed version 2.0.0. and apparently I have the RTL8411B chipset in my laptop. EEE and ASPM work well. However, OS X manages to enable the "Realtek PXE" device when I boot up, when I want to keep it disabled. What's wrong?

Hi Mieze,

Thanks for all your work on this driver, it has worked great over the years.  :)  I do have a possible bug to report (with admittedly poor repro steps).

I'm using the 2.0 version of the driver on 10.10.5 and I recently had a HD fail on me. I rebuilt my machine and attempted to use Time Machine to restore my drive from a Time Capsule.  This has worked in the past, but this time the data rates from the Time Capsule were so slow it would have never finished.   I tried restoring from a boot thumb drive and restoring from a full 10.10.5 install using the Migration Assistant, both had abyssal throughput.  Seems something about Time Machine restoration doesn't like the driver.  :(   Anyway, I know this is a pretty antidotal report, but I thought I should let you know.

Thanks for the work! Is it hard to implement poll mode sendPacket/receivePacket for kernel debugging support?

I understant this is not most requested feature but I'd like to have it anyway :-)

Sorry, no! I won't implement kernel debugging support because it is not worth the effort and I really have no time to waste.

Mieze

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance we can get this driver working with el Capitan?  I can see the interface in network preferences, but it stays in a "disconnected" state.  Running 10.11 gm

EDIT: Chipset is realtek rtl8111e , on a gigabyte z68ap-d3 (rev 1, non UEFI) mobo

Any chance we can get this driver working with el Capitan?  I can see the interface in network preferences, but it stays in a "disconnected" state.  Running 10.11 gm

EDIT: Chipset is realtek rtl8111e , on a gigabyte z68ap-d3 (rev 1, non UEFI) mobo

try to uninstall the kext first, and then put it in BOTH /L/E and clover's /kext/10.11 folders

try to uninstall the kext first, and then put it in BOTH /L/E and clover's /kext/10.11 folders

Thanks for the response, I ended up reinstalling as something was wonky with my EFI partition.  Turns out SIP wasn't fully disabling- once I got it completely disabled (0x67 csrconfig in info.plist) it works like a charm!

Wreid, i get only 2 MBit/s (250 kb/s) in El Captain (using V 2.0)?! 

With Yosemite (also V2.0) i get 20 Mbit/s.

Settings in Network same (Fullduplex, 100Mbit/s, MTU 1500).

RTL8168B

Hersteller-ID: 0x10ec

Geräte-ID: 0x8168

Subsystem-Hersteller-ID: 0x1458

EDIT: Now working at full speed ! I dont know way it was limited.

Mieze Hi

Hope that you can help me

I just finish to update my hackintosh with el Capitan and install you new version of RealtekRTL8111 version 2.0

I did the procedure and all works perfect, and just to be sure i did the procedure on http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-fi-problems-os-x-yosemite/to fix the network problems, i remove the preferences and re create the network connection

Now is working, but i have a very specific problem.

I use this hackintosh with Plex to play and stream video to another mac and an apple TV3, the mac play video with plex running on the hackintosh perfect just perfect, and even i can move big files over 12 GB in less than 10 minutes from the hackintosh to the iMac with a 100MB ethernet connection.

But the apple TV start to play and freeze the playback after 20 seconds

I did a lot of checks with plex, and the AppleTV, and the problem persist.

So i come back and remember that on OS X 10.10 i change the file sysctl.conf on the /etc folder to improve the network transfer.

I play a lot with this file now this is my current sysctl.conf file

net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=1042560
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=1042560

My current clover version is : 3280 EFI 64 bits SATA

I don't use DHCP, all my computers have fixed IP address, only my iPhone and iPad run wireless all the rest with ethernet cable

Can you help me please ??

Do you need anything else any other info ??

this is the config file for clover

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Fixes</key>
			<dict>
				<key>AddDTGP_0001</key>
				<true/>
				<key>AddHDMI_8000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>AddPNLF_1000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>DeleteUnused_400000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_ACST_4000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_ADP1_800000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_RTC_20000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_S3D_2000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixAirport_4000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixDarwin_0002</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixDisplay_0100</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixFirewire_0800</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixHDA_8000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixHPET_0010</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixIPIC_0040</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixLAN_2000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixRegions_10000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixSATA_0400</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixSBUS_0080</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixShutdown_0004</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixUSB_1000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>NewWay_80000000</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>CpuPm</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>DMAR</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>HaltEnabler</key>
		<true/>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0 ncl=262144</string>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DefaultLoader</key>
		<string>boot.efi</string>
		<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>LastBootedVolume</string>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>
		<key>Secure</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>5</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<string>No</string>
		</dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AddClockID</key>
			<true/>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DoubleClick</key>
			<integer>500</integer>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Mirror</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Speed</key>
			<integer>8</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<true/>
		<key>ScreenResolution</key>
		<string>1280x1024</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>Mavs Style</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelCpu</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelHaswellE</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelLapic</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelPm</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BooterConfig</key>
		<string>0x28</string>
		<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
		<string>0x67</string>
		<key>MLB</key>
		<string>C02032109R5DC771H</string>
		<key>ROM</key>
		<string>UseMacAddr0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
		<string>02/29/08</string>
		<key>BiosVendor</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
		<key>Board-ID</key>
		<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
		<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
		<key>BoardType</key>
		<integer>11</integer>
		<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
		<string>Pro-Enclosure</string>
		<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
		<key>ChassisType</key>
		<string>06</string>
		<key>Family</key>
		<string>Mac Pro</string>
		<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacPro3,1</string>
		<key>SerialNumber</key>
		<string>CK916YQ5XYL</string>
		<key>Trust</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Version</key>
		<string>1.0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>Detect</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Regards !!

Is it possible to support RTL8723BE? Wondering if its possible to port from Linux?

No, because this is a driver for ethernet devices, not wifi.

@imacosisris: I'm almost 100% sure that your problem is not driver related. You are asking for help at the wrong place.

Mieze

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mieze

Long time no talk, hope things are well?

I've been using this driver and the various different releases since you started development. Its been performing very well on my GAZ77N-WiFI with 2 Realtek ethernet ports in a bonded (802.11ad) setup under 10.9.5 (I use this machine for a small office OS X Server.)

When I upgraded to El Capitan this past week. I've had to destroy the bond and only use the ports separately. This driver seems to be having some issue with EL Capitan 10.11.x and ethernet bonding for some reason.  :(

Laura do you have any ideas?, What can I do to help troubleshoot? I've already tried deleting network preference plist files and rebuilding caches to no avail.

Thanks you.

Gratitude,

Robert aka Mrengles

Hello Mieze

Long time no talk, hope things are well?

I've been using this driver and the various different releases since you started development. Its been performing very well on my GAZ77N-WiFI with 2 Realtek ethernet ports in a bonded (802.11ad) setup under 10.9.5 (I use this machine for a small office OS X Server.)

When I upgraded to El Capitan this past week. I've had to destroy the bond and only use the ports separately. This driver seems to be having some issue with EL Capitan 10.11.x and ethernet bonding for some reason.  :(

Laura do you have any ideas?, What can I do to help troubleshoot? I've already tried deleting network preference plist files and rebuilding caches to no avail.

Thanks you.

Gratitude,

Robert aka Mrengles

Hello Robert,

as far as I know Apple hasn't changed the driver interface for 10.11 but as long as the source code isn't available, it's impossible to verify this.

Unlike Windows, OS X handles bonding in a driver independent way which means that all the bonding code is driver independent and maintained by Apple. Therefore I assume that the cause of the problem is within Apple's realm. Anyway, please send me your kernel log created with the bond activated. I'd like see what is going wrong.

Mieze

Hello Robert,

as far as I know Apple hasn't changed the driver interface for 10.11 but as long as the source code isn't available, it's impossible to verify this.

Unlike Windows, OS X handles bonding in a driver independent way which means that all the bonding code is driver independent and maintained by Apple. Therefore I assume that the cause of the problem is within Apple's realm. Anyway, please send me your kernel log created with the bond activated. I'd like see what is going wrong.

Mieze

I can't even save the bond interface to get you the proper kernel log. Once I click the create button. The Network system preference quits with an unexpected error and returns to the main System Preference interface.

Some other odd behavior. After deleting my network plist preferences and restart the system. Network will only show Ethernet 1, and not Ethernet 2. But If I try and add Ethernet 1 again it will automatically change the name in the available network services to Ethernet 2.

I'll try an make a screen cast at work today, to help explain the behavior.

Thank you.

Rob

I can't even save the bond interface to get you the proper kernel log. Once I click the create button. The Network system preference quits with an unexpected error and returns to the main System Preference interface.

Some other odd behavior. After deleting my network plist preferences and restart the system. Network will only show Ethernet 1, and not Ethernet 2. But If I try and add Ethernet 1 again it will automatically change the name in the available network services to Ethernet 2.

I'll try an make a screen cast at work today, to help explain the behavior.

What I need is the kernel log, nothing else. I want to find out if this strange behavior has anything to do with the driver or not.

Mieze

There's a new Realtek LAN in Z97M-D3H Rev1.1 that i can't get working, the kext loads but it shows "cable not connected" or "self assigned IP"...

Tried your latest 2.0.0 version, Slice's R1000SL 3.0.2, and AppleRTL8169 2.0.6, same {censored}. There's no info on gigabyte website except "Realtek® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)"

:(