HELP TOPIC - further help in chat.osx86.hu/#legacykernel (IRC)

SL ML AMD APU FX Bulldozer

• Please log in to reply
2322 replies to this topic

Vikernes

Vikernes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Greetings.

I've been setting up an AMD Hackintosh with Lion 10.7.5, and I'm unable to make my internal optical drive (cd/dvd) recognized.

I previously had a Snow Leopard 10.6.8 installation on this same PC, which ran successfully for more than 2 years. Now, I have to say I'm impressed with the evolution of the 'amd hackintosh' scene, I was impressed by the ease I had installing Lion 10.7.5. 

I used myHack to create the bootable USB install and used Bronzovka's mach_rc13 kernel for it to boot, and I installed Lion without a hitch! I'm also booting into Lion successfully, graphics are apparently working correctly with QE/CI, Ethernet, USB ports. It even reads my motherboard and gfx sensors correctly almost out of the box! :) Such thing gave me major headaches on Snow Leopard.

Anyway, my cd/dvd drive is the only thing so far that is not being recognized. I tried searching for any info regarding this: I found that some people had this problem in Mountain Lion, and the workaround was to use Lion's IOAHCIFamily.kext and AppleAHCIPort.kext. Don't know if it is related to my problem or not.

I experimented with #####'s 3rd Party Sata, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, JMicron36x ATA but nothing made my optical drive work.

Any thoughts?

My specs are:

Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD evo

CPU: Phenom II x4 955
GFX: ATI 5770
Optical drive is an IDE Philips dvd/rw, and the hard drives are all sata 3gb.

Thank you guys for all the available tutorials and general valuable info, and thank you Bronzovka, Nawcom, AnV, etc, for the work put into these awesome kernels.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 3,019 posts

You need an IDE kext for your optical drive: look for AppleATIATA.kext in www.kexts.com. Install it with kext utility and post results.

All the best!

Vikernes

Vikernes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Hah! Spot on.
I had tried using an AppleATIATA.kext from my previous Snow Leopard installation, installing it to Lion's Extra folder, but it wasn't working.
I tried now installing it on S/L/E and it worked!

Thank you!  ^_^

cappuchino_blue

cappuchino_blue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Just replying to share me experience, more information can only be good!

I installed yesterday, for the first time, Niresh's 10.8.2. The first time I always got a kernel panic on boot, so I tried again but this time selected a few more options. It gave me the same error at the end of install (couldn't restart and to use Startup Disk Utility). I just clicked restart and, just as before, the bootloader came up. I just put in -v and it booted straight away, right into the OS! And it always booted fine for every boot after this.

I had no QE though. My graphics card, and here is where it gets interesting, is the Nvidia Inno3d GeForce 9500 GT, 1GB RAM. So I tried a load of drivers, but it got to a point I'd messed around with so many kexts that it wouldn't even boot in the correct resolution, so I decided to reinstall. Now I can't install without getting kernel panics.

I researched on the internet and only then did I find that AMD and Nvidia don't mix. It seems my card shouldn't, but by a freak accident I got it working. Now I can't get it working any more, not unless I use -x to boot.

Now I swapped it with my Ati Radeon HD 4550 (also a problematic card...), but I can't boot this without kernel panic either. The only difference is that I can boot into -f and see my desktop, with the Nvidia I only got a load of multicoloured lines and dots.

To install, I've used all Niresh's own drivers. His AMD kernel and I used some Nvidia kext (I can't remember if it was Natit or the other one), along with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Now I tried reinstalling using his package for Older Nvidia Cards. This time it recognised it not as an Nvidia card, but in Inno3D card and listed the model as 9500 GT. It picked up all it's specifications better too. So that seemed to be better, but it still gave me a kernel panic and wouldn't let me boot any way other than -x.

So someone DID manage to boot an Nvidia card without -x, just don't ask me to do it again though...

I'm seeing if I can have any luck with the Ati now, but it looks doubtful. I'm going to update to 10.8.4 first and then use the AMD kernel from this thread. Unfortunately I have Niresh's 10.7.3 V2 disc, but I can't get it to boot, it just hangs :( So that means I'm dedicated to getting ML working! Unless I just go back to trusty old Snow Leopard which seems to work with everything.

My CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 X3 by the way. If you need any more specs I can dig them all out for you. I built this PC ages ago for Windows. I had another custom built one that worked fine with all Hackintosh builds, but it broke. So now I fancy a challenge on this one.

gils83

gils83

"y a pas de bug"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • Interests:le soleil du var et l'informatique

:)

this is not a help forum, you must know that the couple NV/AMD does not work on OS X x86_64  ;)

cappuchino_blue

cappuchino_blue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

this is not a help forum, you must know that the couple NV/AMD does not work on OS X x86_64  ;)

I know it isn't a help forum, but I just replied mainly to tell people that, even if without QE, it has actually been working for me a whole lot better than I've heard it working for others. Apparently most people can't boot AMD/NV without safe boot, and I said I could boot it fine right from the off.

I didn't mean to sound like I'm asking for help. I rarely tend to, most of the fun is trying to work it out yourself. If I wanted a Mac, well I've got one and I'd just go out and buy a newer Mac if I wanted a great one to use for day-to-day stuff. Unfortunately mine is about 10 years old, still going just as good as I had it from new! :D

I just thought I'd include all the background to save people asking, in case anyone wanted to look into my case further... Unless I'm mistaken and most people can boot into normal mode without any kext modification at all.

And I don't mean any of the above to sound rude, but I appreciate (after reading it) that it probably does in a few parts... That's just me and how I talk, not intentional!

gils83

gils83

"y a pas de bug"

• Members
  • 2,466 posts

it may be that I have misunderstood, however, it is not a secret run on nVidia without CI/QE, simply remove GeForce.kext  and keep GraphicsEnabler=Yes and you retain the resolution change, effective on GT 610 1024, ML DP2 x86_64 unlike supports nVidia with CI/QE but with bug opengl/cl, some artifacts may appear.

cappuchino_blue

cappuchino_blue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

it may be that I have misunderstood, however, it is not a secret run on nVidia without CI/QE, simply remove GeForce.kext  and keep GraphicsEnabler=Yes and you retain the resolution change, effective on GT 610 1024, ML DP2 x86_64 unlike supports nVidia with CI/QE but with bug opengl/cl, some artifacts may appear.

Ah right I didn't see that. I tried removing all my graphics kexts and it still gave me kernel panic, so I assumed that I must've been a first or something! :(

I've just reinstalled, gone into safe mode, so I'll try removing that kext and see if it boots up this time. If it doesn't, I think I may have to ask for some help this time!...

Ok I have one thing I need help with that is related to this. I want to install this kernel, but I can't find my mach_kernel to replace it with this. I put it in Extra folder, and edit com.Chameleon.boot.plist with:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>amd_kernel</string>

But then it just says it can't find amd_kernel and won't let me boot at all, even in safe mode. Then if I specify mach_kernel, it says it can't find mach_kernel either.

How do I replace the kernel on Niresh's 10.8.2?

gils83

gils83

"y a pas de bug"

• Members
  • 2,466 posts

the core is to make the HDD root and not in a folder, otherwise it should suggest to him the way  ;)

http://www.insanelym...er-with-kernel/

Edited by gils83, 22 August 2013 - 04:15 PM.

cappuchino_blue

cappuchino_blue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

the core is to make the HDD root and not in a folder, otherwise it should suggest to him the way  ;)

http://www.insanelym...er-with-kernel/

This is all so confusing, I'm beginning to think the answer is just 'Snow Leopard'....

Can you (or anyone else) just please tell me, in really simple terms, how on earth do I install a new kernel?

Thanks.

spakk

spakk

If you try to please everyone, then you have certainly forgotten

• Local Moderators
  • 2,054 posts

This is all so confusing, I'm beginning to think the answer is just 'Snow Leopard'....

Can you (or anyone else) just please tell me, in really simple terms, how on earth do I install a new kernel?

Thanks.

Gils wants to say them that you should ask questions about how Install OSX  or problems with kernel panic or questions about various kernel here. it may well be possible that the admin will delete your post because your post does not fit the topic discussed here-->.

http://www.insanelym...gacykernel-irc/

Change amd_kernel in mach_kernel that should solve your problem. I can not understand why the boot with amd_kernel not work for you. it may be possible that the entry into org.chameleon.boot.plist is Maybe incorrect

good luck!

Edit:

However, should I have interpreted your question wrong above for me, , then I would like to apology

Edited by spakk, 22 August 2013 - 05:19 PM.

kcskcw

kcskcw

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

has anyone encountered this and got past it?

com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication exit timeout 20

I can only safe boot. god damnit.

my specs are:
fx 4100 overclocked to 4.8ghz w/ nvidia gt 440
My AMD Kernel is from here: http://www.insanelym...zovka-for-108x/

Forgive me if i had not read all the posts to find this answer.
thanks for your understanding

cappuchino_blue

cappuchino_blue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Well, thanks a lot, it's nice to see that new people are treated so kindly here. For a start the whole NVidia problem is very much related to AMD. But when I asked how do I install this kernel, now is asking how to use the very subject of this thread classed a hijacking?

Thankfully I fixed it myself, no thanks to anyone here. I could've gone on to ask what graphics card I should use to get QE here too, but I started a separate thread for that. Apologies for not quite hijacking this thread to make your claim valid.

For the information of any new users:

To insall the kernel, extract it to your desktop. Then drag it to the hard drive on the side - this will move the kernel to the root of your hard drive. Then go to /Extra and edit org.chameleon.Boot.plist by adding:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>amd_kernel</string>

at the top of all the commands that are also surrounded by <keys> and <string>. These commands are usualy indented, just under where it says <dict>.

Hopefully, if you're new to the confusing world of OSx86 with AMD, then you can be reading this and know how to get your computer up and running without any kernel panics as this kernel, works brilliantly! If any new users in time do read this, then thanks Mods for not deeming this gesture of helping as "hijacking" a thread.

my specs are:

I thiink you'd better post this in a new thread because this seems to have become a somewhat private discussion. They'll just delete your post for "hijacking" the thread if you come straight on asking for related help...

Sinetek

Sinetek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 333 posts

It is highjacking because the threat title. Let me make it clearer.

Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD (don't ask help here: use the Help Topic)

cappuchino_blue

cappuchino_blue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

It is highjacking because the threat title. Let me make it clearer.

Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD (don't ask help here: use the Help Topic)

So don't ask simply how to install the kernel linked on this thread... Right, nice to see people here really make sense.... And that's all I asked, I didn't actually ask for help just that French guy thought I did and acted as if I did and seeing he started a conversation, unlike some people, I'm not rude so I replied to him. Geesh...

gils83

gils83

"y a pas de bug"

• Members
  • 2,466 posts

you're not on the right topic, here dealing with development kernel, people who meet on this subject are testers to realize various advanced kernel 12.0 and developers which implies some knowledge of fashion installation, I passed you a video tutorial that explains the procedure.
I am not a king in the field, far from it, but a minimum is requested, the installation is the easiest to learn and to know the minimum bases about AMD CPU says exotic in the Apple world. ;)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 3,019 posts

So don't ask simply how to install the kernel linked on this thread... Right, nice to see people here really make sense.... And that's all I asked, I didn't actually ask for help just that French guy thought I did and acted as if I did and seeing he started a conversation, unlike some people, I'm not rude so I replied to him. Geesh...

Glad you figured it out yourself. From now on, try to keep support-related questions here - that includes tutorials and issue-solving tips, please. Kernel development is hard by itself without having to navigate around lots of semi-related posts to keep ourselves up-to-date with the development itself. I'm counting on your comprehension.

All the best!

my specs are:

nVidia cards won't work with Mountain Lion on AMD machines unless you boot with -x or remove all the acceleration kexts. Sorry, dude. Try Lion 10.7.5 or buy a cheap 5450 silent to keep using Mountain Lion.

All the best!

cappuchino_blue

cappuchino_blue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Glad you figured it out yourself. From now on, try to keep support-related questions here - that includes tutorials and issue-solving tips, please. Kernel development is hard by itself without having to navigate around lots of semi-related posts to keep ourselves up-to-date with the development itself. I'm counting on your comprehension.

All the best!

nVidia cards won't work with Mountain Lion on AMD machines unless you boot with -x or remove all the acceleration kexts. Sorry, dude. Try Lion 10.7.5 or buy a cheap 5450 silent to keep using Mountain Lion.

All the best!

I'm so confused, on the HCL for 10.8.4 it says the EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 works basically OOB with GraphicsEnabler=No. Will this not work on AMD then? I'm going to buy a graphics card over the weekend so really I need a definitive answer now.

I was looking at the Sapphire HD 6670 card, will this work because I read other places it needs a lot of work?

Or will the 5450 ATI card work? I can pick those up cheap in PC World...

Please help me decide soon! Thanks!

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 3,019 posts
Cappuchino, that's an AMD-only issue: if you had Intel, it would indeed work OOB.

In fact, there's no perfect solution for Mountain Lion on AMD right now: the Sapphire HD 5450 silent, device ID 0x68f91002, will work but will have some graphics artifacts. Tolerable though, and everything else will work. The 4xxx series will have flawless window server displaying - that is, no artifacts - but have serious 3d rendering stuff. Any other ATI card will be barely usable. NVidia won't run at all.

The best OSX option for AMD users is Lion 10.7.5: every ATI or nVidia card that works on Intel with Lion with also work on AMD. That means any nVidia newer than the 8400 GS, but not the GTX 6xx or 7xx series, and most ATI except the HD 7xxx and HD 69xx series.

My recommendation thus is that you use Lion 10.7.5 and an ATI model that used to ship with real Macs, such as the HD5770 or HD5870. My brands of choice are EVGA and Sapphire, but buy from the manufacturers you trust the most.

All the best!

BaSsie86

BaSsie86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

amdati.png

Hello All,

Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70

Processor: AMD Phenom II x2 cores 550 black edition unlocked to x4 cores b50 black edition 3.1 GHZ

Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz Working 64bits

Sound: Working front, rear, voodooHDA and Device ID and to BIOS C1E disabled

USB: Working front and rear

Firewire: Working on my Camera cable to Firewire.

Harddisk: 1x 500GB WD black Edition for Mac OS X and Windows 8 1x 1TB WD Black Edition

DVD: Dvd writer

Videocard: 2x MSI R5750 1GB working 3 display (HDMI, Displayport to HDMI Adapter active, DVI) and FULL HD 1080P only

*****not QE/CI working 3D Game or OpenGL not working and Geekbench not working*****

That is my PC working AMD very.

This Kernel

AMD Kernel 10.7.x RC 13 Bronzovka

This having too on Moutain Lion 10.8.4 working all good only have problem glitters and artefact AMD / ATI issue found here forum and i have back to Lion 10.7.5 working no glitters no artefact only QE/CI no :(:(:( Snow Leopard working QE/CI..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SL, ML, AMD, APU, FX, Bulldozer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy