Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@fdandy006 

i upgrade right on top of the current /EFI. The installer first will make a backup of the current stuff. it leaves the config files as is. and then will update (replace) the various .efi files. if your GUI only has blue dots - maybe the theme is missing? did you select/install the ThinkPad theme? i manually trim out (remove) any files/folders for 32bit. 

if you diff -r the current /EFI and the backup (previous) /EFI the different files list should show the Clover_install.txt and .efi files (BOOTx64.efi, CLOVERX64.efi and the drivers64UEFI folder files.

@aj - I can post a new bundle. but not much has changed since I posted the bundle using Clover b1888. i tried a number things on Clover - tweaks to config.plist and and playing with dsdt... but sad to say nothing seems to make much difference. i still get random sleep/wake issues with PS2 going away. and i hit the mute/unmute total freeze thing 2 times. sorry to admit that i have no ideas... frankly i kinda gave up and now I just boot with Chameleon on a USB and then eject it until I restart.  

@aj - I can post a new bundle. but not much has changed since I posted the bundle using Clover b1888. i tried a number things on Clover - tweaks to config.plist and and playing with dsdt... but sad to say nothing seems to make much difference. i still get random sleep/wake issues with PS2 going away. and i hit the mute/unmute total freeze thing 2 times. sorry to admit that i have no ideas... frankly i kinda gave up and now I just boot with Chameleon on a USB and then eject it until I restart.  

my preference lol : i prefer waiting for a real new pack lol

@aj - great minds.... i did the same - installed/updated voodoops2 and fakesmc from rehabman. the last clover challenge I am finding is a total system freeze when i push mute/unmute.  will continue to test and report.

I've tried the installation on a T430 - but i get the same error like DirtyMetis,

"Error Loading Drivers " after selecting the OSX Installation.

If I try to use the old package like you've written, it fails to start to boot by the stick.

Any hints?

@plan_b 

do you have a dsdt?

are which old package are you using? i take it you stuck in trying to get an installer to boot up to install OSX?

if you are trying to get the install working. you could try boot args -x PCIRootUID=1

or are you trying to boot up after the install?

do you have the basic kext installed? i.e. FakeSMC , ethernet, PS2. 

@ag6952563 (and others!)

as you mention VoodooPS2Controller v1.8.5 seems to fix the problem of loosing keyboard and trackpad after sleep. i did only a few tests in the last days but waking it up after sleeping for about an hour works. i updated to Clover b1928 and I will repost a new Clover bundle soon if it continues to work well.

changes since i posted 1888 are:

new FakeSMC

new VoodooPS2Controller

tweaks in DSDT

tweaks in config.plist (drop HPET table, boot arg darkwake=11, InjectClockID=false)

I updated to latest clover 1928 and used rehabs voodoo - and yes it does resume from sleep better.

I have mixed results in going into sleep however - ie, sometimes sleep works well, sometimes it stays in fast flashing power button.

Shutdown is still mixed results too - sometimes powering all the way off, however sometimes fan still running - ie 'on'.

new FakeSMC & new VoodooPS2Controller under 1928 sleep and wake ok here to as tluck.

Please write down your config in signature, it can help others to understand or to join this community with a working machine.

for example copy my signature and personalize it for your T4x0 config (type is under your computer on the sticker)

have a good sunday

Updated and posted Clover pack (b1928) for T420 -- see post  #241 for information -  ESP/EFI pack with kexts. 

Notes issues observations:

• Sleep/wake so far has not lost trackpad - have not had fast blinking lights. 
  • have not touched mute button on system - use bluetooth keyboard (or toolbar to control volume level) - mute could freeze system (works fine on chameleon)
  • sometimes shutdown does not power off box. osx shuts down but remains with black screen.

Key changes since 1888: 

• updated FakeSMC.kext (thanks to RehabMan)
  • updated VoodooPS2Controller.kext (thanks to RehabMan) 
  • minor tweaks in DSDT
  • minor tweaks in config.plist (drop HPET table true, boot arg darkwake=11, InjectClockID=false)
  • Like 1

Hi,

maybe this is discussed already.

Why should I install the kexts to /S/L/E with clover. I thought this is the trick of clover to do that by injection.

Sorry for this question, but I am trying to get my 4174NEG running with no luck with 10.8.3 so far, by not installing the kexts to /S/L/E.

I would like to keep the installation clean. So, maybe I don't need to ask further questions concerning this, because of my approach.

Thanks a lot

Regards,

em

P.S.: My current problem seems to be connect with a not starting windows-server. I think this has something to do with my HD3000 graphics card.

@emueler - sure you can have your custom kexts in your ESP partition.  clover will load ones from the ESP to complement your OS. Clover can also patch some of the kexts on the fly. if there are conflicts you may need to remove them. for example, AppleHDA will conflict so you may need to remove (or replace) the one in /S/L/E. personally i was interested in a disk that could boot with Clover and Chameleon without changes so i put the custom kexts in /S/L/E. some folks prefer to keep the mods etc on the ESP. so its largely a matter of personal style.

InjectKexts
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<true/>

Loads additional kexts from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/.../.

Disabled by default.

Requires FSInject.efi driver.

Updated and posted Clover pack (b1928) for T420 -- see post  #241 for information -  ESP/EFI pack with kexts. 

Notes issues observations:

• Sleep/wake so far has not lost trackpad - have not had fast blinking lights. 
  • have not touched mute button on system - use bluetooth keyboard (or toolbar to control volume level) - mute could freeze system (works fine on chameleon)
  • sometimes shutdown does not power off box. osx shuts down but remains with black screen.

Key changes since 1888: 

• updated FakeSMC.kext (thanks to RehabMan)
  • updated VoodooPS2Controller.kext (thanks to RehabMan) 
  • minor tweaks in DSDT
  • minor tweaks in config.plist (drop HPET table true, boot arg darkwake=11, InjectClockID=false)

Awesome! Could you update the Chameleon pack with this stuff too? Thanks!

hi guys...
nice works on clover for thinkpad :)

i tried to install ML on my T430 2349A17 using clover. i've sucessfully boot using usb with clover as bootloader.
i even sucessfully pass through the installation.

When installation process using usb completed, the system restart and went to clover GUI (from usb).
then i picked the ML at my SSD. it then hung on '++++++'.
9405629610_31216b7448.jpg

below is the debug.log on clover.

121:541  0:140  HDA Controller [8086:1E20] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1B,0x0) => detected codec: 10EC:0269, setting layout-id=269 (0x10D)
121:824  0:283  stringlength = 1844
121:918  0:094  CurrentMode: Width=1600 Height=900
122:013  0:094  FSInjection:, skipping kext injection (not requested)
122:202  0:189  OnSimpleFileSystem occured
122:310  0:107   - done!
122:431  0:121  Closing log
122:525  0:093  SetStartupDiskVolume ...
 Volume: 'MacOSHD', LoaderPath: '<null string>'

122:619  0:094   DevPath: MacOSHD
122:713  0:094   GUID = 929EAB34-3174-48B6-BB44-4E91FE433114
122:821  0:107   efi-boot-device: <array><dict><key>IOMatch</key><dict><key>IOProviderClass</key><string>IOMedia</string><key>IOPropertyMatch</key><dict><key>UUID</key><string>929EAB34-3174-48B6-BB44-4E91FE433114</string></dict></dict></dict></array>
122:915  0:094  Starting boot.efi
123:014  0:099  Using load options 'boot.efi -v GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 slide=0 arch=x86_64 '

is there anything i can do to be able to continue my installation?

my clover version is v2_r1942.

@gendalo76...

not sure about how you are installing OSX. you will need to have some kexts injected/loaded... the message you show usually is when you have all the custom kexts installed already - not for installation, when i install a fresh OS. i have FakeSMC.kext and VoodooPS2Controller injected installed in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.8..

the boot args i use are:

-v slide=0 WithKexts NoCaches

update:

seems that was the old way... looks like you specify

InjectKexts
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<true/>

Loads additional kexts from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/.../.

Disabled by default.

NoCaches
<key>NoCaches</key>
<false/>

Use if a recreation of system caches is needed, for example after the installation of new drivers. In contrast to ignoring caches, kext patches will be applied in this case.

It makes no sense to leave this paramater permanently in the configuration file. Instead, chooseBoot ... without caches in the OS option menu by pressing O after having selected the OS entry.

without a dsdt.aml installed, I set PCIRootUID=1 in config.plist 

also wonder why you have GraphicsEnabler=No as a boot  arg?

if you take a look at the bundle i posted, the /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist may help you get going.

good luck

• Like 1

@gendalo76...

not sure about how you are installing OSX. you will need to have some kexts injected/loaded... the message you show usually is when you have all the custom kexts installed already - not for installation, when i install a fresh OS. i have FakeSMC.kext and VoodooPS2Controller injected installed in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.8..

without a dsdt.aml installed, I set PCIRootUID=1 in config.plist 

also wonder why you have GraphicsEnabler=No as a boot  arg?

if you take a look at the bundle i posted, the /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist may help you get going.

good luck

hi tluck,

thanks so much... i finally made it to boot into my sdd plugged-into usb port.

what i did is boot with '-v PCIRootUID=0 slice=0 InjectKexts NoChaces'

i did put GraphicEnabler=No because when i install to this SSD, i sucessfully did it with that boot flags. that's also the case when i use chameleon.

no i put injectkexts and nochaces into config.plist.

but when i put SSD into my ultrabay, the installation won't boot and wrote many error regarding unable to read many .kext.

i tried to change PCIRootUID from 0 to 1, even delete it, but still has the same error.

any idea with how to solve this? before i tried to reinstall with ssd put in its bracket/ultrabay.

i tried to clean-up my extra folder (for myHack) and clean some kext in SLE that showing error message in log (AppleRTC.kext and AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext).

I had Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext and AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext at my kext/10.8 in clover.

then updated to 10.8.4. my system working ok. 

then move my ssd to ultra bay sucessfully (previously on USB). don't know why now it works. :D

i'll share my configuration on different reply to keep it clean and edited as i have progress.

thanks tluck.

hi friends,

i wanna share my T430 configuration with clover.

T430 info:

Intel HD4000 only, 1600x900 screen resolution.

board version: 2349-A17. (corrected from my previous post, not 2439-A17)

BIOS version: 1.16 (G1ET41WW)

I flashed the bios to remove wifi card restriction, so i can install Broadcomm card.

RAM: 16GB, SSD Sandisk Extreme 256MB.

audio chip: ALC269
 Clover version: r1942

my clover folder can be found here.
works:

- got 1600x900 resolution since the first installation

sometimes when booting, in log-in screen show stretched/scrambled screen, shown only white.

this is also happening when i use chameleon. simply shutdown with power button and boot again.

- detected as macbook air 5,2 (13" mid 2012) with 16GB (3 slots ???, 1 empty), 

manually set to MacbookPro9.2 and some setting to SMBIOS part in config.plist

VRAM for HD4000 detected as 384MB. prior update to 10.8.4 (10.8), it was detected as 512MB.

- wifi ok. 

- usb3 port, accepts usb2 eksternal harddisk (WD element) and  works on Hi-Speed. 
      accepts usb3 external harddisk (WD my book essential) and works on superspeed.

- bluetooth is working not OOTB (BCM20702A0). need to edit a kext. 

follow instruction on this site. my product-id a bit different with the one on the site. 
     i can connect my magic trackpad to thinkpad.

- front camera works ootb.

- imessage, able to login and set which account should be used. but not yet tested to send and received message.

not working.

- icloud is wokring. I can sign-in and syncronize my notes and contacts, even registering the laptop for 'find my mac'.

- trim enabled. (using kext patching in config.plist)

- sleep works.

- tried to make it sleep with closing the lid. then waking-up with opening the lid.

keyboard and touchpad working.

no eksternal harddisk connected prior sleep.

- tried to make it sleep with fn+F4. then waking-up with fn.

keyboard and touchpad working.

attached usb3 eksternal harddisk prior sleep is not reconnected when woke up.

- battery is working. use Rehabman's AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.

i need to patch my initial dsdt to make it works based on this link.

- sound is working. not perfect, but enough for me.

use VoodooHDA ver 2.8.4, just install, no need to touch its pref pane.

works with internal speaker and headphone. when plugging headphone jack, need to switch manually at OSX's sounds setting.

not working yet:

- icloud, unable to login.

- imessage won't let me sign-in. registration failed.

- battery is not detected using internal batterai icon, but with istat menu, shown when charged. 

but only show nan%.

- audio. 

anyone has appleHDA patch for T430??  :D

Trying to attempt this on my T530, but running into problems when trying to boot off the USB with Clover - I'll get the initial boot menu, select the option to boot from the usb, and be prompted with the following screen:

install_zpsa04c8484.jpg

This is after attempting the "boot in safe mode" from the right click menu in Clover - previous attempts would lock up at the "root device uuid is..." prompt.

I've managed to get ML installed previously using the ##### method, but would much rather go the UEFI route with a clean install. I can boot into the previous ML installation with the Clover usb if I select the safe mode option, but otherwise it gets aways into loading drivers and then reboots.

Any suggestions?

i have same problem during my installation.

i replace VboxHFS.efi to HFSPlus64.efi.

it solved my problem.

@Kogen,

you don't need to desolder the chip. just use SOIC clip and hardware flash programmer. the chip is located below touchpad.
if you have the same bios version as mine,1.16 (G1ET41WW), then you can get the nonwhitelist BIOS here.
i share my tools and the process on another forum. you can get the link on the last reply on previous link (bios).

Try again using my older custom package from post #117 and report back.

BTW: I guess I'll be switching from T420 to T430 soon. Right now I have both machines to decide witch one to sell. The T430 is a stronger model (i7) with optimus graphic card that I've always wanted to play with in OSX. To bad I still have very little time lately to do some serious hackintoshing, but I can report this about the new T430:

- I can boot successfully with older clover r1229 (I didn't had the time to investigate why Clover newer releases wont boot)

- USB3 works excellent OOB (booting from 32GB USB3 pen-driver - super fast)

- the NVIDIA NVS 5400M - works with graphic enabler (I have black screen with HD4000)

- too bad the whitelist bios can't be flashed to this device (no WiFI swapping for broadcome model) and I don't want to solder the eprom and flash it outside using phoenix flasher. - Can you guys suggest USB wifi that works OOB?

- T430 boots clover in full resolution (1600x900 and looks gorgeous) so I guess I'll update the ThinkPad theme background for high res in free time :)

• Like 1

@gendalo76 :

your config (config.plist, ACPI folder, kexts folder)

shoud be in /efi/clover/oem/2437A17

SystemProductName should be renamed to 2437A17

happy to see T430 (great config) is ok now.

for icloud, iMessage have a look here

@gendalo76

excellent update on your progress. a few notes:

you will not need patched_10.7 _AppleRTC.kext as Clover will patch the standard version.

you may be able to use the AppleHDA.kext i put in my bundle as i think 430 uses the same codec/chip.

if so, then you need to add custom dsdt.aml which defines the audio capability. clover can do a pretty good job on patching the DSDT but a few things are missing/messed up. (i provide the source dsdt.dsl with comments the ACPI/patched folder in the zip -  search tjl for what i changed. (thanks to manwe150 who did a lot of the early work to make things happen!) 

i use rollback AppleACPIPlatform + VoodooBattery for battery. i am not sure about AppleSmartBattery - i think it needs some fancy dsdt mods. note: sleep works better with this rollback ACPI kext too.

@gendalo76 :

your config (config.plist, ACPI folder, kexts folder)

shoud be in /efi/clover/oem/2437A17

SystemProductName should be renamed to 2437A17

happy to see T430 (great config) is ok now.

for icloud, iMessage have a look here

thanks Tetonne.

i'l move to OEM folder as suggested.

i'll report with icloud and imessage later on.

@gendalo76

excellent update on your progress. a few notes:

you will not need patched_10.7 _AppleRTC.kext as Clover will patch the standard version.

you may be able to use the AppleHDA.kext i put in my bundle as i think 430 uses the same codec/chip.

if so, then you need to add custom dsdt.aml which defines the audio capability. clover can do a pretty good job on patching the DSDT but a few things are missing/messed up. (i provide the source dsdt.dsl with comments the ACPI/patched folder in the zip -  search tjl for what i changed. (thanks to manwe150 who did a lot of the early work to make things happen!) 

i use rollback AppleACPIPlatform + VoodooBattery for battery. i am not sure about AppleSmartBattery - i think it needs some fancy dsdt mods. note: sleep works better with this rollback ACPI kext too.

thank tluck.

i'll try you suggestion and back with report.

Hi all,

Just preparing my T420 so that I can follow through this guide and hopefully contribute some of my findings too.

However first thing's first - I bought a Dell WLAN card to replace the stock wireless card so that I could get Wireless support in OS X. To make this work obviously you need to flash the BIOS with a non-whitelist BIOS. So I downloaded the version 1.43 version one from the first post in this thread.

Now everything went as planned - I updated with the stock 1.43 BIOS image, rebooted, then flashed with the NWL file and rebooted. I haven't replaced the WLAN card yet but I have noticed that on boot the screen stays black for longer and I get a POST beep code (4 beeps, pause, 4 more beeps). I thought that I had somehow bricked the laptop but it proceeds to then POST and boot perfectly normally. I've tried resetting the BIOS to defaults but the beep codes persist. It's not the end of the world - but I like things neat and tidy and it bugs me that this hasn't worked quite right.

Is there something I've missed or done wrong? Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Just preparing my T420 so that I can follow through this guide and hopefully contribute some of my findings too.

However first thing's first - I bought a Dell WLAN card to replace the stock wireless card so that I could get Wireless support in OS X. To make this work obviously you need to flash the BIOS with a non-whitelist BIOS. So I downloaded the version 1.43 version one from the first post in this thread.

Now everything went as planned - I updated with the stock 1.43 BIOS image, rebooted, then flashed with the NWL file and rebooted. I haven't replaced the WLAN card yet but I have noticed that on boot the screen stays black for longer and I get a POST beep code (4 beeps, pause, 4 more beeps). I thought that I had somehow bricked the laptop but it proceeds to then POST and boot perfectly normally. I've tried resetting the BIOS to defaults but the beep codes persist. It's not the end of the world - but I like things neat and tidy and it bugs me that this hasn't worked quite right.

Is there something I've missed or done wrong? Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Were you on 1.43 before you flashed 1.43 whitelisted? If not, that's probably the problem. Not sure on how to go about fixing it though.

Edit: Sorry i just reread it and you were. No clue what's wrong, sorry.

@fdandy006

the config.plist I put in the OEM folder (see my uploaded) will make clover patch the 4th buffer of the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext to be VGA. the kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.8-SLE is permanently edited in the same way. make sure you do your testing with your laptop undocked. if you attach to the VGA port on the left side you will need sleep/wake or restart with the cable plugged in to see the VGA device. i had trouble with some devices (like projectors) so i use a DisplayPort to VGA adapter which is a bit more automatic and consistent in device detection.