Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

I got Clover and all that jazz working. I'm using my own EDID in both config.plist and dsdt.aml/dsdt.dsl. Still getting graphics hangs, albeit rarer. There is one failproof way of inducing graphics hangs/glitches though, and that is fullscreen Safari. Extreme lag when switching tabs. Very frustrating, as I would love to use Safari in fullscreen. :(

Also, I have an SSD and a storage HD. (no cd drive) I am unable to boot up Clover with my HD inserted. In order to boot, I must remove the HD, boot, then insert it when it finishes booting. Otherwise after pressing the power button, the ThinkPad logo shows up, then I get an infinite black screen. Any ideas?

@honeywell - 

cool. great news that things are coming together for you on clover. 

1) EDID - the built-in EDID is what is/was causing glitches for me. injecting Kogens EDID fixes things up. ag6952563 was getting good results too using this one. 

2) SSD - i dont have a pure SSD ... i have read other treads talking about enabling TRIM - maybe you have done that? here is something from a google on "clover ssd trim"

IOAHCIBlockStorage patch to enable TRIM support for any SSD by scrax

<key>X</key>
<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>QVBQTEUgU1NE</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>AAAAAAAAAAAA</data>
</dict>

Don't think it has to do with TRIM. TRIM is for a faster, speedier SSD. I think Clover tries to search for some sort of OS on the HDD, which causes the Clover GUI to never appear. That's my best guess right now, dunno how to fix that though. Thanks for the TRIM patch though!

@honeywell

with the SSD installed/connected - is this in main HD slot or the DVD bay slot - so you are getting stuck or not even getting to the clover GUI? but yes. clover does read (or tries to read) stuff on the disks once it discovers the device. what is your boot order  and where is clover installed?  is your SSD MBR or GUID formatted. are you set to UEFI only mode in the BIOS ( good way to test to make sure MBR disks dont get read). BTW, what kind of SSD do you have? you mention speedier ones? i just have a seagate momentus XT - so-called hybrid disk.

Yes this is a common issue in newer OSX versions and since you are using 10.8.2 you must drop DMAR table or disable VT-d in ThinkPad Setup. (just like in post #46).

Update: Try this striped EFI folder for installing. Updated Clover to r1133, fixed theme selector color, new LAN drivers, new PS2 drivers, new FakeSMC and DualLink=0 by default

Hi Guys, Im trying to get my 420 running an manage to do the install, however back to 'waiting for AppleSMC' which eventually errors on 'SuperIODevice: [Fatal] found unsupported ship ID=0xfff'

To that end - I want to try this stripped EFI but am unsure how to use it?  How do I update the USB stick to use this stripped EFI Folder?  

Model of Lenovo T420 is: 4180-F75

UPDATE - sorry, found it at POST 183.  Lets see how it goes.

@tluck

SSD is in the main HD slot. HDD is in the slot where the optical drive was (I bought a caddy). I don't even get to the Clover GUI once I boot with the HDD in the slot. Without the HDD in the slot (only SSD in the computer) it works like a charm. SSD is GUID so that works fine. I am set to UEFI only mode. I have the Samsung 840 SSD. Boot order with both HDs in is:

1. Windows Boot Manager

2. ATA HDD0 Samsung SSD 840 Series (this is the SSD)

3. ATA HDD2

4. USB FDD

5. USB CD

6. ATAPI CD0

7. ATA HDD1 ST9500420AS (this is my HDD i believe)

8. USB HDD

9. PCI LAN

list goes on but I don't think anything past that is relevant

I tried switching 1 and 2 but I get the same black screen.

Also, I'm unable to get iMessages to work. I saw this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-10?do=findComment&comment=1918837 but haven't tried it. I don't exactly understand how to do this... anyone have clearer step-by-step instructions?

Hi Guys, Im trying to get my 420 running an manage to do the install, however back to 'waiting for AppleSMC' which eventually errors on 'SuperIODevice: [Fatal] found unsupported ship ID=0xfff'

To that end - I want to try this stripped EFI but am unsure how to use it?  How do I update the USB stick to use this stripped EFI Folder?  

Model of Lenovo T420 is: 4180-F75

UPDATE - sorry, found it at POST 183.  Lets see how it goes.

Still can't get it going.  I have renamed the folder under OEM to 4180F75.  Now I get the white apple screen and can't see where it eventually fails.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm using Mountain Lion 10.8, and T420-EFI-CLOVER-b1888.zip

@fdandy006

When you boot with the USB, go to options, and add "slide=0 -v NoCaches WithKexts" to the boot flags. This should allow you to boot vanilla. Then update to 10.8.4. When you restart, boot with those flags again and install Clover r1888, and add tluck's stuff to your EFI folder. Also make sure to install all the kexts in tluck's kext pack. Then, reboot and you should have a fully working hacktinosh!

Also note: Booting with -x (safe mode) and installing Clover in safe mode will force Clover to create the EFI partition in HFS - not MSDOS.

Thanks Honeywell.

I tried the above.  It gets stuck on - waiting for AppleSMC, eventually will move to 'SuperIODevice: [Fatal] found unsupported ship ID=0xfff', the show ethernet address.

After that it eventually reboots.

What am I missing?

Do you have any non-vanilla kexts installed in S/L/E? You shouldn't add any kexts until you've installed Clover and tluck's pack. Here's what I did:

1. Install Mountain Lion 10.8.

2. Boot from USB with flags "slide=0 -v NoCaches WithKexts."

3. Update to 10.8.4. (don't know if this is matters, but I did not install the firewire update - if you did this, it could be causing your error)

4. Reboot with the same flags as step 2. You should be on 10.8.4 now.

5. Install Clover, put tluck's stuff in (rename the folder inside OEM to match your mobo), install the kexts. This must be done all at once (without rebooting).

That should be it.

@fdandy006 - 

are you able to boot up using the generic config.plist vs OEM? first make sure you can do this.

(rename OEM to OEM.NU for now)

then...

the OEM folder contains 2 things specific to my laptop - which you need to modify since you dont have 1600x900 screen.

the dsdt and config.plist 

seems like your box is getting stuck halfway on starting gfx. the ship error is normal for laptop when you install FakeSMC with Plugins.

1. copy the generic dsdt into OEM/4180F75/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml
  2. edit the OEM config.plist - remove the EDID injection and add set DualLink=0 (using the key/string formatting)
  3. copy/install the /EFI/CLOVER/kext/10.8 and 10.8-SLE kext  to /S/L/E - seems you did this already.

@fdandy006 - 

are you able to boot up using the generic config.plist vs OEM? first make sure you can do this.

(rename OEM to OEM.NU for now)

then...

the OEM folder contains 2 things specific to my laptop - which you need to modify since you dont have 1600x900 screen.

the dsdt and config.plist 

seems like your box is getting stuck halfway on starting gfx. the ship error is normal for laptop when you install FakeSMC with Plugins.

1. copy the generic dsdt into OEM/4180F75/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml
  2. edit the OEM config.plist - remove the EDID injection and add set DualLink=0 (using the key/string formatting)
  3. copy/install the /EFI/CLOVER/kext/10.8 and 10.8-SLE kext  to /S/L/E - seems you did this already.

Thanks Honeywell and tluck.  I'll try again and start from the beginning with your recommendations.

Just to clarify - which version of clover package should I use?

Cheers

@fdandy

You should probably just stick with Clover v2 r1888. This is the version that tluck's pack uses. You can download it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/

@all

Does anyone know how to change the cpu package multiplier states? My cpu is only 2.5ghz, but tluck's dsdt/ssdt can make it go up to 2.97ghz which makes it really hot. i just want to remove the 33x multiplier state.

@honeywell 

yup 2.5Ghz is the nominal rating of the i5 core 2520m - it will go to 2.97Ghz (30x  top speed) is when it is in Turbo Mode. i guess if want to slow it down you could try specifying a slower bus speed in the config.plist?  but perhaps  best thing maybe for you is to play with SSDT (not DSDT) which is defines the speeds. NULLCPUPM may be another quick way eliminate speed step. 

otherwise, to make it run cooler you could hit the blue thinkvantage button  - which is mapped to fan speed control in -  makes the fan run at high speed all the time.  

@honeywell 

yup 2.5Ghz is the nominal rating of the i5 core 2520m - it will go to 2.97Ghz (30x  top speed) is when it is in Turbo Mode. i guess if want to slow it down you could try specifying a slower bus speed in the config.plist?  but perhaps  best thing maybe for you is to play with SSDT (not DSDT) which is defines the speeds. NULLCPUPM may be another quick way eliminate speed step. 

otherwise, to make it run cooler you could hit the blue thinkvantage button  - which is mapped to fan speed control in -  makes the fan run at high speed all the time.  

Hm... I was already aware of the ThinkVantage button's fan control. Maybe this is an issue with Clover but I generally find that booting from Clover my system runs 5-10 degrees Celsius hotter than on Chameleon. In fact, if Dropbox is syncing, the CPU can get up to 90-95 degrees Celsius which is INSANE! So I have to quit Dropbox whenever I boot. Also, Clover over-all seems less stable on my machine... Here's an annoying glitch I'm experiencing. If I plug in the charger, then press mute, my system will completely freeze and I'll have to hard shut down. If I plug in the charger then unplug, then press mute, same thing happens. Small, but really annoying. I can't get iMessages working, and still getting ring stalls (graphics lag). And I still can't boot with both HDDs in. Maybe I should just stick with Chameleon?

@fdandy

You should probably just stick with Clover v2 r1888. This is the version that tluck's pack uses. You can download it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/

@all

Does anyone know how to change the cpu package multiplier states? My cpu is only 2.5ghz, but tluck's dsdt/ssdt can make it go up to 2.97ghz which makes it really hot. i just want to remove the 33x multiplier state.

Thanks Guys.  On tlucks graphics clue I checked the bios and noticed my graphics are set to Optimus which sounds like its uses either integrated or discrete modes when applicable.  Setting this to integrated seems to have allowed me to progress the installation (albeit in flicker mode) and I was able to boot up 10.8.

Do you guys have this set to discrete for better performance?

I seem to have it all working (railink wireless usb included) but have no sound?  I tried the mv of applehda.kext out of S/L/E

I'll try an upgrade to 10.8.4 tonight and see how it goes.

Another part I am unsure of - in order to boot, I need to go into the options in the boot menu and select 'inject edid' otherwise it wont boot - which config.plist do I edit so I can make my changes and have them boot with these options each time.  I couldn't seem to find the right one?

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks Guys.  On tlucks graphics clue I checked the bios and noticed my graphics are set to Optimus which sounds like its uses either integrated or discrete modes when applicable.  Setting this to integrated seems to have allowed me to progress the installation (albeit in flicker mode) and I was able to boot up 10.8.

Do you guys have this set to discrete for better performance?

I seem to have it all working (railink wireless usb included) but have no sound?  I tried the mv of applehda.kext out of S/L/E

I'll try an upgrade to 10.8.4 tonight and see how it goes.

Another part I am unsure of - in order to boot, I need to go into the options in the boot menu and select 'inject edid' otherwise it wont boot - which config.plist do I edit so I can make my changes and have them boot with these options each time.  I couldn't seem to find the right one?

Thanks for all your help.

Ah I don't have the discrete graphics so I won't be able to help you out there. As for which config.plist to edit, assuming you named the folder in OEM/[insert system id here] correctly, it should be the config.plist in that folder.

Ah I don't have the discrete graphics so I won't be able to help you out there. As for which config.plist to edit, assuming you named the folder in OEM/[insert system id here] correctly, it should be the config.plist in that folder.

Thanks - is it a hidden partition or just the EFI/Clover/OEM/Machine Name/ straight off the hdd (that I can explore to in finder)?

You must mount it first.

In terminal, type:

diskutil list

You'll see something like this:

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OS X                  119.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

Look for the bold line in your printout. Then type this in terminal (make sure the bold part matches with yours):

mkdir /Volumes/ESP ; sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/ESP

You'll need to type in your password to verify sudo.

Then open finder. You should see a new volume in the sidebar. That's where you'll find the folders you're looking for.

@honeywell - well thats quite  a list of problems with clover! yeah, especially if EDID injection is not fixing glitches for you - doesnt seem like there as many reasons to use clover!? 

I boot the same GUID disk with chameleon from a small USB when i want to use it as laptop vs docked station. why? i get random odd sleep/wake problems with clover (related to VoodooPS2). so i just boot up using chameleon (v2251) on a USB when I care about sleep. i bought very small size USB drive that doesn't stick out far. other than the sleep problem on clover - it runs the same with either boot loader. i left /Extra on the HD so it has the same dsdt/ssdt as clover. I get all the benefits of a GUID disk.

thoughts/observations

2nd HD: i can only think there is some sort of timing hang on finding your HD in the side port? there maybe a way to ignore it with clover or the bios. 

system freeze: I couldn't reproduce the mute freeze on my system. but over the last 2 months I did have random hang/freeze or 2 at one point. but nothing i could redo on demand.

temperature for reference:

my fan runs normally around 3500-3600 RPM and running a bunch of stuff to heat it up to the max (geek bench, VMware, sync) - got up to about 89deg C - 

when i hit the bluethinkvantage - fans run around 4500 RPM and it drops temps about 6-7 degrees for same tests. 

imessage: i got imessage working on chameleon first then. i think this what i used: http://routerjockey.com/2013/01/23/fixing-imessage-on-hackintosh/

when i switched to clover i was getting a login/inactive error and i had to login with my iphone to get reset the account and then it started to work. i followed someones procedure i googled to fix when it complains and then tells you call customer support. it is very touchy for sure.

@fdandy006

i dont have the optimus option - i have just integrated HD 3000 gfx. seem that the dsdt can handle both types?  there maybe other sites with information on how to make it work - by maybe you must stay with HD3000 for OSX.  

for sound, the AppleHDA kext expects an HDEF section in your dsdt that defines the codec and layout-id. if you cannot get that working, VoodooHDA maybe a good option?

note:there are 2 dsdt files in the OEM folder i posted. one is for 1600x900 display and the other is intended for low-res display.

Clover looks in your ESP for /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist when it cannot find a productID match in /EFI/CLOVER/OEM. if your productID matches the folder it will use OEM/<ProductID>/config.plist. 

my assumption is that all the custom kexts (from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts) are installed in /S/L/E - thats just how i prefer it. others use myhack etc.

This is the first method that has allowed me to boot into OSX without a pen drive. However, I'm still coming across some issues. I've read this thread over countless times and still cannot figure out what Im doing wrong. 

My Specs:

Lenovo t420-4178AFU

2.7ghz i7 2620m

16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

ONLY intel hd3000

320gb hdd

(dell 1510 half pci wifi card on its way)

So, I use the method start to finish in the first post and it works wonderfully. boots with full 1600x900 resolution and myhack+extra allows me to connect via ethernet. However the things that I notice that arent working OOB (and to be expected) are as follows:

battery meter

sd card reader (ive read on another post this is able to work)

display port out via dp to hdmi cord 

sleep works half the time, never consistant. and sometimes the track pad will not work after coming back from sleep along with usb ports not returning aswell.

wifi (duh)

brightness controls via  Fn Home and End keys

*audio (can get audio using my audio kontrol 1 sound card, but thats it)*. 

audio controls via built in keys

Im sure these are all possible to work and I know you guys pretty blatently explained how to update clover and whatnot (I assume that this is what allows the other features to work), but im doing something wrong and i just dont know it. 

Ive read the past post about clover 1888 and its efi package and I tried to apply that but when I do, I cant boot. I changed the folder name in EFI/Clover/OEM to my 4178AFU and replaced all the folders in the EFI partition with the ones in the lenovo install pack. Which step am I missing?

@brawson36.

to get some of the advanced features, you will likely need to make sure you are using a custom dsdt - which is part of using the OEM folder - more on that later.

in the 1888 pack are a bunch of kexts that maybe interest to you.

to get battery to show - need to rollback to AppleACPIPlatform.kext (v1.3.5) and then install VoodooPS2Battery.kext

never could get sd card working on T420 - many have tried - have not heard of a success.

display port (on side of laptop) - works out of the box for me. i use a DP to HMDI adaptor

sleep should be more consistent with AppleACPIPlatform (above) + dsdt edits to EHCI ports.

brightness is mapped to scrllock and pause key (using the provided dsdt)

audio - the AppleHDA + dsdt will make audio work (ie headphone/mic jack on right side or internal speakers)

A lot more details about T420 are on this thread/posts: #238  and #117

these kexts (and a few others) are provided in the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.8* folders - and you either need to have myhack install them or install them directly in the  /S/L/E

In the 1888 clover pack, there are some things you will need to change to match your system. the OEM folder has some things specific to my model. but you may be able to make some changes to make it work for you.

1) OEM\4236AT9\config.plist - will need to be modified to suite your CPU. it has hardcoded the speed for the CPU (i-2520). you can remove this CPU section.

2) the dsdt may work if you have highres LCD - other wise try the the generic one.

3) the ssdt.aml probably will not match your CPU and you need to remove it. (clover can generage p/c states for you) it just wasnt doing a very good job for the i5-2520.

Also it presumes all basics kexts (FakeSMC etc) are on the HD. which is different than the top level config.plist was that set up to get one up and running after a vanilla install. clover patches the dsdt and sucks in the EFI kexts on the fly. gets it about 90% of the way - but it wont get everything working - particulary audio. 

@honeywell - well thats quite  a list of problems with clover! yeah, especially if EDID injection is not fixing glitches for you - doesnt seem like there as many reasons to use clover!? 

I boot the same GUID disk with chameleon from a small USB when i want to use it as laptop vs docked station. why? i get random odd sleep/wake problems with clover (related to VoodooPS2). so i just boot up using chameleon (v2251) on a USB when I care about sleep. i bought very small size USB drive that doesn't stick out far. other than the sleep problem on clover - it runs the same with either boot loader. i left /Extra on the HD so it has the same dsdt/ssdt as clover. I get all the benefits of a GUID disk.

thoughts/observations

2nd HD: i can only think there is some sort of timing hang on finding your HD in the side port? there maybe a way to ignore it with clover or the bios. 

system freeze: I couldn't reproduce the mute freeze on my system. but over the last 2 months I did have random hang/freeze or 2 at one point. but nothing i could redo on demand.

temperature for reference:

my fan runs normally around 3500-3600 RPM and running a bunch of stuff to heat it up to the max (geek bench, VMware, sync) - got up to about 89deg C - 

when i hit the bluethinkvantage - fans run around 4500 RPM and it drops temps about 6-7 degrees for same tests. 

imessage: i got imessage working on chameleon first then. i think this what i used: http://routerjockey.com/2013/01/23/fixing-imessage-on-hackintosh/

when i switched to clover i was getting a login/inactive error and i had to login with my iphone to get reset the account and then it started to work. i followed someones procedure i googled to fix when it complains and then tells you call customer support. it is very touchy for sure.

@fdandy006

i dont have the optimus option - i have just integrated HD 3000 gfx. seem that the dsdt can handle both types?  there maybe other sites with information on how to make it work - by maybe you must stay with HD3000 for OSX.  

for sound, the AppleHDA kext expects an HDEF section in your dsdt that defines the codec and layout-id. if you cannot get that working, VoodooHDA maybe a good option?

note:there are 2 dsdt files in the OEM folder i posted. one is for 1600x900 display and the other is intended for low-res display.

Clover looks in your ESP for /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist when it cannot find a productID match in /EFI/CLOVER/OEM. if your productID matches the folder it will use OEM/<ProductID>/config.plist. 

my assumption is that all the custom kexts (from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts) are installed in /S/L/E - thats just how i prefer it. others use myhack etc.

Hey tluck! I was pretty inaccurate in describing the freeze error regarding sound. This is how I think you can recreate it: plug in the power cord, plug in headphones, then unplug power cord, adjust sound (doesn't have to be only mute/unmute, you can just increase/decrease volume), then unplug headphones, then adjust sound. As for underclocking/removing higher clock states, I edited my SSDT following an online guide, but using the edited SSDT gave me a kernel panic that said something about AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Here is my edited SSDT (removed all states above 2.5Ghz, and edited the list length to match the number of states): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66566087/ssdt.aml

I also edited config.plist and set "Turbo" to NO, but that didn't change anything.

For some reason, using your SSDT, when Dropbox syncs it takes up a huge amount of CPU (100%+) and causes it to heat up to 70+ degrees C.

Also, my HDD is formatted as Mac OS X Journaled, Case-Sensitive, Encrypted. Could this be causing the boot problem? Also, my Dropbox is in the encrypted HDD. I'm guessing this is causing the overheating issue.

One more thing: are there any special BIOS settings I should change? I already disabled Vt-d virtualization but that didn't change anything I think.

@honeywell - yeah i agree that the encryption/decryption will add a lot of CPU load. i will try to reproduce with your procedure. i am running 1.44 bios and cant think of anything else that may help the glitching. (i used to run quartz debug when i didnt need 2d acelleration)

anyway here is a way (maybe the easiest way) to slow (and cool) your system down.

1) add NULLCPUPM.kext

2) remove ssdt.aml

i tested on my system. geekbench ran at 5540 vs 6540. temps only got to about 73deg C. vs 89degC for the same tests before

i booted with chameleon and got just 2 speed states: 8x and 25x (vs 30x)

this is my org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>Boot Banner</key>
        <string>No</string>
        <key>Default Partition</key>
        <string>OSX+</string>
        <key>DropSSDT</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>EnableHDMIAudio</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
        <string>No</string>
        <key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>PCIRootUID=1</string>
        <key>Legacy Logo</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>Timeout</key>
        <string>3</string>
        <key>UseKernelCache</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

@tluck

heres what I'm running into.

I first fresh install, run myhack using the extra folder with the added kexts from that other forum. 

I then run clover v2 r1625 (lenovo edition) so i can boot from hdd.

then i see that you guys are running r1888 so then i download that from source forge and install. seems legit? =)

then i can no longer boot once installing that generic version from source forge so i must use my flash drive to boot via 1625 again 

id really appreciate a step by step haha. I thought id be able to figure this out but seeing as its my first time hackintoshing (albeit on a laptop) im having great difficulty.

and as far as dsdt.aml edits, i have no real idea where to begin. i extract my current one using DSDT editor and i know changes need to be made, but im not sure where your tailored dsdt,aml file is located in this pack? and what kind of edits would i have to make for my system?