Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@tluck

heres what I'm running into.

I first fresh install, run myhack using the extra folder with the added kexts from that other forum. 

I then run clover v2 r1625 (lenovo edition) so i can boot from hdd.

then i see that you guys are running r1888 so then i download that from source forge and install. seems legit? =)

then i can no longer boot once installing that generic version from source forge so i must use my flash drive to boot via 1625 again 

id really appreciate a step by step haha. I thought id be able to figure this out but seeing as its my first time hackintoshing (albeit on a laptop) im having great difficulty.

and as far as dsdt.aml edits, i have no real idea where to begin. i extract my current one using DSDT editor and i know changes need to be made, but im not sure where your tailored dsdt,aml file is located in this pack? and what kind of edits would i have to make for my system? 

Follow my steps on the last page! You don't need an /Extra/ folder with Clover. All of your config files/dsdts will be in the EFI volume.

@honeywell - well thats quite  a list of problems with clover! yeah, especially if EDID injection is not fixing glitches for you - doesnt seem like there as many reasons to use clover!? 

I boot the same GUID disk with chameleon from a small USB when i want to use it as laptop vs docked station. why? i get random odd sleep/wake problems with clover (related to VoodooPS2). so i just boot up using chameleon (v2251) on a USB when I care about sleep. i bought very small size USB drive that doesn't stick out far. other than the sleep problem on clover - it runs the same with either boot loader. i left /Extra on the HD so it has the same dsdt/ssdt as clover. I get all the benefits of a GUID disk.

thoughts/observations

2nd HD: i can only think there is some sort of timing hang on finding your HD in the side port? there maybe a way to ignore it with clover or the bios. 

system freeze: I couldn't reproduce the mute freeze on my system. but over the last 2 months I did have random hang/freeze or 2 at one point. but nothing i could redo on demand.

temperature for reference:

my fan runs normally around 3500-3600 RPM and running a bunch of stuff to heat it up to the max (geek bench, VMware, sync) - got up to about 89deg C - 

when i hit the bluethinkvantage - fans run around 4500 RPM and it drops temps about 6-7 degrees for same tests. 

imessage: i got imessage working on chameleon first then. i think this what i used: http://routerjockey.com/2013/01/23/fixing-imessage-on-hackintosh/

when i switched to clover i was getting a login/inactive error and i had to login with my iphone to get reset the account and then it started to work. i followed someones procedure i googled to fix when it complains and then tells you call customer support. it is very touchy for sure.

@fdandy006

i dont have the optimus option - i have just integrated HD 3000 gfx. seem that the dsdt can handle both types?  there maybe other sites with information on how to make it work - by maybe you must stay with HD3000 for OSX.  

for sound, the AppleHDA kext expects an HDEF section in your dsdt that defines the codec and layout-id. if you cannot get that working, VoodooHDA maybe a good option?

note:there are 2 dsdt files in the OEM folder i posted. one is for 1600x900 display and the other is intended for low-res display.

Clover looks in your ESP for /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist when it cannot find a productID match in /EFI/CLOVER/OEM. if your productID matches the folder it will use OEM/<ProductID>/config.plist. 

my assumption is that all the custom kexts (from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts) are installed in /S/L/E - thats just how i prefer it. others use myhack etc.

Hey Guys, just reporting back.

Managed to upgrade to 10.8.4 and finally got sound working.

In the end it was tlucks dsdt along with the kext that got it working.  I think my mistake was placing some of the other aml files in there which as I can read now, had adverse effects.

Screen is still glitchy sometimes but generally good.

Does anyone else get 'drift' when browsing the internet.  An example is when using the forums - the screen seems to scroll very slowly?

For those trying to get up and running on Clover, I added instructions (steps) and notes to post #241 hopefully it makes things a bit clearer as to what is in the zip and how to make it work for your box given CPU/Display differences.

@fdandy006 - what resolution screen to you have? for some the EDID injection has fixed up glitches or hangs. and not sure i understand what you mean by scroll slowly?

@brawson36 - i suspect with either 1625 or 1888 you running the generic (top level non-oem) config.plist  - it boots but not everything works (such as audio) right? As we know, the key to getting things running - whether clover or chameleon - is the DSDT + some extra kexts.  Please read post 241 - you will have to tweak the OEM files - probably remove the ssdt.aml file and fix up the OEM config.plist to match your system.

tluck - my max resolution is 1366 x 768 - but looks like I am running at 1600x900 scaled using you dsdt and kexts.

By drift  - I mean when browsing on the internet, the pages scrolls down a little by little, as it I was scrolling the mouse ever so slightly.

@fdandy006 yes i notice that when using the trackpad. (and also, after updating to 1888 with tlucks pack, i have lost multi gesture support?)

now that ive had a much needed dumbed down explanation haha, I finally got this thing booting with 1888 and sound. however i did run into the mute-freeze problem along with the trackpad going out on me after sleep.

One other thing I have noticed.  If I boot up with the a monitor connected via vga cable I can run external screen fine.  If I boot up without it plugged in and plug it in later I cannot get it to come up.  Is this normal?

Cheers

Is there anyway to not have 'sleep'.  Ie - when I close the lid on the laptop - I just want it to stay on and not go to sleep mode.

I found the no sleep app, however the app install seems to fail. Its version 1.33.

I've found about 20% of the apps I try to install fail at the very end but seem to be half installed - anyone else experience this?

ie - no sleep installs but reports failed - fails when trying to update system extension.  when I try to launch it says 'Kernal Extension is not loaded'

@brawson36 and @fdandy006 - displays. the config.plist (or AppleSNBGraphicsFB.kext from the bundle) is configured and/or patched to provide 4 display ports

1) LCD

2) HDMI (DisplayPort)

3) DVI (on a Docking station)

4) VGA (on left side)

i can connect a DisplayPort cable to my HP monitor. Or I use a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter + HDMI cable to connect to my BluRay or HDMI TV. if i connected to a VGA monitor, i have to sleep/wake or reboot to see the device. Some VGA devices failed (like some overhead projectors) so I bought a DisplayPort to VGA adapter that is more consistent.

if connected with an external monitor, then closing the lid will not sleep. if nothing is connected then it sleeps on close. I dont know how to change that ...  you maybe able to remove the LID device from the DSDT? never tried the nosleep app? 

the latest voodooPS2 (v1.8.4 from rehabman) does seem to have have some gestures support as far as i know - i see support in the control panel for trackpad? i especially like the 2 finger glide/scroll. what is the version and where did you get the "original" VoodooPS2 that you prefer?

@tluck

EDIT: could it be that my system definition is 8,3 instead of 8,1? If so, how would i go about changing this definition?

EDIT: changing definition from 8,3 to 8,1 in clover bootloader/options/smbios worked, but i have to change the definition every time. anyway to keep this permanent? 

As far as the track pad, I noticed that in the 1888 pack, the tracking would be sometimes inconsistent and even turn off when i accidentally hit an unsupported key on the keyboard (f1-f12). So I went on the original install I made using the first posts instructions, looked in efi/clover/kexts and took the voodoops2.kext and brought it over to my main install. put it in my extra folder ran ihack and the darn thing worked like a charm. 

accurate tracking

no ghost scrolling

2 finger scroll x and y

4 finger swipe for desktop, all open apps, and switch to dashboard

@brawson36 and @fdandy006 - displays. the config.plist (or AppleSNBGraphicsFB.kext from the bundle) is configured and/or patched to provide 4 display ports

1) LCD

2) HDMI (DisplayPort)

3) DVI (on a Docking station)

4) VGA (on left side)

i can connect a DisplayPort cable to my HP monitor. Or I use a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter + HDMI cable to connect to my BluRay or HDMI TV. if i connected to a VGA monitor, i have to sleep/wake or reboot to see the device. Some VGA devices failed (like some overhead projectors) so I bought a DisplayPort to VGA adapter that is more consistent.

if connected with an external monitor, then closing the lid will not sleep. if nothing is connected then it sleeps on close. I dont know how to change that ...  you maybe able to remove the LID device from the DSDT? never tried the nosleep app? 

the latest voodooPS2 (v1.8.4 from rehabman) does seem to have have some gestures support as far as i know - i see support in the control panel for trackpad? i especially like the 2 finger glide/scroll. what is the version and where did you get the "original" VoodooPS2 that you prefer?

Thanks tluck - so it looks like the vga port is live only if I boot with a monitor plugged in.  If I boot without the cable in, then insert it later - it doesn't find the monitor?

Is there a way to force initialisation once booted?

can't seem to find the reference in config.plist?

@tluck

EDIT: could it be that my system definition is 8,3 instead of 8,1? If so, how would i go about changing this definition?

EDIT: changing definition from 8,3 to 8,1 in clover bootloader/options/smbios worked, but i have to change the definition every time. anyway to keep this permanent? 

As far as the track pad, I noticed that in the 1888 pack, the tracking would be sometimes inconsistent and even turn off when i accidentally hit an unsupported key on the keyboard (f1-f12). So I went on the original install I made using the first posts instructions, looked in efi/clover/kexts and took the voodoops2.kext and brought it over to my main install. put it in my extra folder ran ihack and the darn thing worked like a charm. 

accurate tracking

no ghost scrolling

2 finger scroll x and y

4 finger swipe for desktop, all open apps, and switch to dashboard

Hey Brawson - same question as tluck.  Can you link the kext you use for 4 finger scroll.  I tried rehabmans but it seems to be the same as I already have.

Cheers

@brawson36

seems like the PS2 controller you are talking about came from using Kogen's Clover_v2_r1625.pkg bundle - if so then that is VoodooPS2 v1.8.2 (just an slightly older version)? ...  cool.  that one works better that's good.

if you can run this command line:

kextstat | grep -v apple 

and post the output -  that would be helpful.

thanks.

@fdandy006

- sleep/wake will (sometimes) bring VGA visible without reboot.
- in the OEM config.plist, i patch the kext SNBGraphicsFB to replace the 4th buffer with VGA. sometimes i could not get it to recognize the VGA device. so i bought a displayport to VGA adapter - works a lot a better.

@honeywell - looks like clover has more controls to help with speed and heat

found a lot more info about clover options here

PLimitDict
<key>PLimitDict</key>
<string>1</string>

Limits the maximal CPU frequency.

• 0 - No limit.
  • 1 - Reduce frequency by one step
  • 2 - Reduce frequency by two steps

Example: A Core2Duo T8300 with 2400 MHz operates at a maximal frequency of 2000 MHz when limited by two steps. This parameter might be used to reduce heat in mobile systems.

@fdandy006

- sleep/wake will (sometimes) bring VGA visible without reboot.

- in the OEM config.plist, i patch the kext SNBGraphicsFB to replace the 4th buffer with VGA. sometimes i could not get it to recognize the VGA device. so i bought a displayport to VGA adapter - works a lot a better.

@honeywell - looks like clover has more controls to help with speed and heat

found a lot more info about clover options here

PLimitDict
<key>PLimitDict</key>

<string>1</string>

Limits the maximal CPU frequency.

• 0 - No limit.
  • 1 - Reduce frequency by one step
  • 2 - Reduce frequency by two steps

Example: A Core2Duo T8300 with 2400 MHz operates at a maximal frequency of 2000 MHz when limited by two steps. This parameter might be used to reduce heat in mobile systems.

Awesome! Keep up the good work with Clover. I'm back on Chameleon due to sleep and trackpad and display glitches, but I'm still interested in switching back to Clover when these issues get better!

Thanks Tluck - I will try a display port to vga adapter too (mainly to use on a projector - lets see how it goes).

I think I have most things running well now.  I'm not using sleep as yet as its a bit buggy and I've had some of the issues posted earlier on (fast blinking power, losing mouse on wake up etc) so am using 'No Sleep' app so I can close the lid and walk around without the laptop going to sleep.

The only other issue is 'Shut down'.  Sometimes when I click shutdown it kinda hangs and if I hit the power button briefly is somehow goes back to login screen.

Sometimes it looks like its shut down but is actually still on (fan still running and I can see bluetooth light on).

So sometimes I have to hold power button and do a dirty shutdown or pull battery if it is kinda stuck in this non shut down state.

Will do some research and see if anyone else has this issue. 

EDIT:  Ok looks like a fixed it with a patched dsdt.dsl.

I patched it with the following which has a small update to the code in the dsdt editor pack.

It now does a good shutdown albeit takes a bit of time (longer to shutdown then to startup? :)

# Change method _PTS where Arg0 is 0x05 (shutdown)
#
into method label _PTS code_regex (If\s*\(LEqual\s*\(Arg0,\s*0x05\)\)\s*\n\s*\{\s*\n)(?:[^\n\}]+\n)+(\s*\}) replace_matched
begin
%1
            Store (Zero, SLPE)\n
            Sleep (0x10)\n
%2
end;
into method label \_PTS code_regex (If\s*\(LEqual\s*\(Arg0,\s*0x05\)\)\s*\n\s*\{\s*\n)(?:[^\n\}]+\n)+(\s*\}) replace_matched
begin
%1
            Store (Zero, SLPE)\n
            Sleep (0x10)\n
%2
end;
into definitionblock code_regex . code_regex_not OperationRegion\s*\(PMRS insert
begin
OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x0430, One)\n
Field (PMRS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)\n
{\n
        ,   4, \n
    SLPE,   1\n
}
end

@fdandy006 - cool. yeah i was getting the same thing from time to time. shutdown would shut down OSX but not always power the system all the way down. either held down power button for 5-10 seconds or was doing the battery pull thing. 

so i merged the shutdown stuff above into my dsdt (and removed some extra WMI stuff while i was at it). will test a day or 2 and then repost a new clover bundle. seems to shutdown better.

i moved up to Clover b1914 and changed a parameter in OEM config.plist - set InjectClockID to false. things seems wake from sleep a tad faster after sleep and maybe that will help with loss of trackpad with VoodooPS2 using Clover. 

ok - I've played with the shutdown further and after the updated code above still noticed one time when I had the issue.  Going on a hunch and seeing the bluetooth light on when it doesn't power off, I've resumed testing shutdown with Bluetooth disabled in bios.  So far it seems to power off completely (5 of 5 so far) so will keep testing.

If it does happen to be the bluetooth keeping it alive - that will be the next thing to nut out...

ok - back to the four ports, lcd, hdmi, dvi and vga.

I'm pretty sure I have the right kext loaded and have the code in my config.plist:

<key>Comment</key>
<string>Replace 4th port with VGA</string>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABAYAAAAEAAAJAAAA
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABgIAABAAAAAJAAAA
</data>
</dict>
</array>

So VGA port works - but finding it hard to get DVI off the dock to work.  Any ideas?

@fdandy006 - 

interesting about bluetooth

in case you havent done this - there is a way to turn it off from OSX if you modify the vendor ID to match in Info.plist in /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents - change 8532 to 8575.

DVI -  i could not connect to my monitor from the DVI on the dock. (i am pretty sure at one point this worked???).  i tried the both the patched and the original kext without the VGA patch. the Display port on the dock works. 

@fdandy006 - 

interesting about bluetooth

in case you havent done this - there is a way to turn it off from OSX if you modify the vendor ID to match in Info.plist in /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents - change 8532 to 8575.

DVI -  i could not connect to my monitor from the DVI on the dock. (i am pretty sure at one point this worked???).  i tried the both the patched and the original kext without the VGA patch. the Display port on the dock works. 

Will try to change from 8532 to 8575.  Can you edit in place - didn't have permissions to edit?

@fdandy006

will not turn off bluetooth the same way windows or bios does. (light stays on)

yes - you can edit in place 

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents

sudo cp Info.plist Info-orig.plist

sudo vi Info.plist

find 8532 on line 525 - change to 8575 

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Update on the Shutdown.  Still getting bad shutdowns so not sure the script above has made it any better.

Sleep also is very intermittent with some devices (like mouse) not working after coming back from sleep.

Time for more research. :)

@fdandy006 - well i hope you can find something! i am 99% sure these are clover related issues - i just dont have any ideas. if i boot the same disk with chameleon it does not lose the keyboard/trackpad randomly. shutdown is clean too. i have a theory its related to voodoops2 but have not done extensive testing using older kexts.

Is there a trick to upgrading to the latest clover with my settings intact?

I tried to install 1928 but the boot loader is a blue screen with black dots for the selection icons.

I then copied my oem folder across but it didn't seem to take it?