Snow Leopard kernel testing on AMD

Sinetek

157 posts in this topic

I am new to InsanelyMac. However, I have both hardware and software development experience. I am about to obtain a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 or UD3 (Revision 1.1 or higher). It will have a FX8350 CPU with 16 GB or more RAM, and a 256 GB SSD for the OS and what not. The data files will be on a totally separate disk.

My observation (after many forum reviews) is that to run Snow Leopard well and in 64 bit mode, sinetek's future mach_kernel update for FX is the best choice. The question I have is whether it will be necessary to obtain the hardware prior to the FX kernel update and assist testing the kernel modifications for this most recent FX processor.

@sinetek: contact me if there is anything I can do to help complete the FX kernel mods.

From a motherboard perspective only, it looks like Crucial 1600 DDR3 memory and the M4 SSD are solid selections. If there are any experiences with this Gigabyte motherboard using Crucial components and Snow Leopard, please post.

I am looking forward to taking advantage of 8 cores on Mac OS X, and want to contribute to a successful AMD FX kernel.

Thanks.

Hello Everyone,

I have finally had enough time to spend on my FX-8350 system. The details:

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600, 8-8-8-24, BLT4KIT4G3D1608DT1TX0

256 GB Crucial SSD (boot drive), CT256M4SSD2, Rev 040H Firmware, 6 Gigabit negotiated link speed (as expected)

1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black (data and applications), WD1001FALS , 3 Gigabit negotiated link speed (as expected)

AMD FX-8350

ATI FirePro v4900

Noctua NH-C12P-SE14 (CPU Heat Sink and 140 mm fan cooling system)

Retail Snow Leopard updated with 10.6.8 Combo Update

The summary is:

• With the MODUSB from Nawcom, followed the translated directions by Akimoa, but realized that the 2.0 rc5 Chameleon Boot loader uses com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder (not org.chameleon.Boot.plist - more recent Chameleon versions use org.chameleon, like Chameleon 2.2)
  • Obtained both the December 2012 legacy nawcom kernel and the August 22, 2011 AnV legacy kernel, release 2
    • Both boot from the SSD with busratio=20 -force64 (having arch=i386 seems to be ignored)
    • Most likely the npci=0x2000 kernel flag is needed for other kernels, but this too seems to not matter for legacy kernels and the 2.0 rc5 Chameleon bootoader
    • Both indicate 8 cores, one CPU
    • The FSBFreq and CPUFreq are not detected correctly (always says 0MHz), although the TSCFreq is detected to be 4026 MHz
      • bdmesg from Chameleon Wizard 2.2 shows 1 core, 8 threads
      • About This Mac | More Info | Hardware shows
        • 4.03 GHz Processor Speed (assuming this is TSCFreq)
        • 1 Processor
        • 8 Cores
        • 16 GB Memory 800 MHz
        • 2 MB L2 Cache per core
        • 4 MB L3 Cache
        • Mac mini 2,1

[*]BIOS settings for my Gigabyte are:

• Revision F9
        • 4000 MHz CPU Clock (4 GHz)
        • 2200 MHz North Bridge Clock (2.2 GHz)
        • Core Performance Boost Enabled to 4200 MHz (4.2 GHz)
        • FSB Freq 200 MHz
        • HT Link Freq 2600 MHz (2.6 GHz)
        • Memory Freq 1600 MHz (1.6 GHz)

[*]Obtained the sinetek kernel that starts this thread

• Most likely not ready for an FX-8350, but believe the Chameleon 2.2 boot loader on a USB is not helping things at all (see below)
    • Will test booting via SSD later today (March 11, 2013)

[*]Restoring the legacy kernel booting SSD to a USB drive (via Disk Utility)

• Booting from USB fails on the seventh try of boot0, with "boot0: error" (this is the Chameleon 2.0 rc5 bootloader, with no modifications to the restored USB drive content)
    • Installing Chameleon 2.2 1187 to the restored USB drive, and renaming the device_hfsplus.png and device_hfsplus_o.png files to device_hfsplus_sl.png and device_hfsplus_sl_o.png, either results in a black screen (apparently forever), or automatic computer restart. Using "-v" or "-v -f" has zero improvement. Using the boot flags that work in Chameleon 2.0 on the SSD accomplishes no joy. Adding arch=i386 also results with no joy. Any of the legacy kernels on the USB results in the same black screen or automatic computer restart. Booting with the sinetek kernel has the same results as the legacy kernel boots. Note: the png files are renamed so you can see which boot drive is selected within 2.2 Chameleon. If this is not done, then moving the arrow keys seems to do nothing, since the boot drives are always lit red. Found a reply on OSX86.net that said the 2.2 Chameleon is operating system aware (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, etc.). The png rename has to occur in order for the green and red lit images to load while in the 2.2 Chameleon boot screen (not a bug though).
    • Have observed that before the black screen or automatic computer restart that the number of cores and number of threads are 8 and 8 respectively. This is with the 2.2 Chameleon bootloader and any of the three kernels.

[*]Have not been successful enabling Graphics for my FirePro v4900 (via SSD booting)

• Currently have "Graphics Mode"=1280x960x32
    • The Grab application does not display any images, although the Preview application shows pdf content correctly.
      • Believe this is expected behavior until the proper v4900 driver (kext) is loaded
      • The v4900 is part of the Turks family
      • The v4900 device ID is 6749, vendor ID 1002, sub-system device 2B06, with HP as the sub system company (not sure what HP's video card vendor ID is)
      • Want to build 2.2 Chameleon with v4900 support and test
      • The 2.2 Chameleon source cannot build on either my MacBook Pro i5 Snow Leopard or my FX-8350 Snow Leopard. Both computer systems' 1187 Chameleon builds have exactly the same results, with undefined symbols that are missing from boot_modules.c. This is Xcode 3.2.5 on both systems. Somewhere within the forums (I cannot quickly find which right now), another InsanelyMac member has the same results with Xcode 3.2.6 on Snow Leopard. I suspect that something is not correctly generating the boot_modules.c and boot_modules.h content on SL.
      • Have found hints that the Clover bootloader is potentially already supporting the v4900, but installing via Clover's pkg to the restored USB fails to load the Clover boot screen. Installing only Clover to a FAT32 USB stalls at "Loading Operating System..."
      • Not confident about installing the 2.2 Chameleon or Clover on my SSD, since so far unsuccessful booting from a USB drive restored from the SSD, then installing 2.2 Chameleon or Clover to the USB drive.

I am not finding some key piece of information, on how to have a restored USB drive from a properly booting system, boot from the USB without modifying the USB drive content. Is there something needing modification with the hidden USB drive's EFI partition from the restoration process? I have also tried using SuperDuper to create the USB from a SuperDuper SSD image (no joy from USB boot). I am in the process today (March 11, 2013) of using SuperDuper to copy the booting SSD directly to the USB. I tried this a bit yesterday, expecting fast joy, but was wrong. I am being more methodocal and tracking combinations today.

I have found the table listing the latest kernels and respective operating systems here.

I have been experimenting with DSDT editing using the 2.2 Chameleon Wizard to extract the DSDT, edit with your favorite text editor (e.g. Xcode), and compile from the Wizard. All of the DSDT patching has been only on a USB. Until I get a successful USB drive boot, I am not confident about patching the DSDT for the SSD drive (currently no DSDT patch or SMBios.plist mods are on the SSD drive). What is the preferred tool to do DSDT editing?

The Wizard approach seems okay, but if a tool has more details about things like CreateByteField and CreateWordField, then I would prefer to use the tool. For unknown reasons, the Wizard extracted DSDT has valid warnings creating a byte field from a source and length that is more than 8-bits long. I am also wondering how to edit a DSDT to have the v4900 video driver loading there instead of a kext (is this even possible?). Does anyone know if the more recent Gigabyte boards have the same audio crackling problem that past boards have? I have found a couple sites that modify the DSDT slightly to remove the crackling audio problem. I have not tried audio yet as I am determining how to best load the audio and networking drivers (and where to obtain them). I am concentrating on solving booting, such that I can test future mods via USB boot, then update the SSD drive with successful USB booting flags, kernel files, plist, etc. Any guidance on where and how to correct "restored" USB content from a currently booting system drive would be very helpful.

Thank you

I couldn't find above parts on digitec in Switzerland :(

Continue to use AMD :)

YaPay, don't use TonyMac stuff, it will just cost you needless money and mess up your current setup.

You might try Media Markt. I was last in the one at Lyssach two years ago just before Christmas. They should have what you are looking for. NorthEast of Berne at exit 39 Kirchberg. Kinda between the Ikea and the Burger King, along Bemstrasse. +41 34 447 41 41 is the phone number. mediamarkt.ch

• Like 2

YaPay, don't use TonyMac stuff, it will just cost you needless money and mess up your current setup.

You might try Media Markt. I was last in the one at Lyssach two years ago just before Christmas. They should have what you are looking for. NorthEast of Berne at exit 39 Kirchberg. Kinda between the Ikea and the Burger King, along Bemstrasse. +41 34 447 41 41 is the phone number. mediamarkt.ch

I returned from Zurich to Istanbul again. I will goto again 1,5 - 2 months later. Maybe I can buy the parts from here but mainboard "H77N" couldn't find anywhere in Istanbul.

Additionally I installed 10.7.5 to my current config and I got only Kernel Panik (with different Kernels). I think I should give up.

• 5 months later...

Hi, here is a test build for Snow Leopard.

A busratio of 17 is hardcoded in......

boot with arch=x86_64 -v

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xvcou5

Can you please repost this with a rar format including (1%) ecc/redundancy and a md5? I would greatly appreciate it. I am recovering from a HD loss and have C*mcast (sh*t) internet. So my downloads are really flaky especially during rain. I would be so greatful. This may also help with all the people saying this doesnt work, etc...

check here for vanilla kernels http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Patched_Kernels

best working legacy kernels for osx 10.6.8, MD5 and SHA1:

Nawcom's 10.6.8 Legacy Kernel http://www.osx86.net/view/2066-kernel_for_10.6.8_intel-amd.html

MD5 (legacy_kernel-10.8.0.v2.pkg) = 21d2c4a2244fc08671f207ce15897704

bec13930283ab271185d19a50e45413bbdc36511  legacy_kernel-10.8.0.v2.pkg

AnV's 10.6.8 Legacy Kernel http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1675

MD5 (10.6.8_anv.zip) = bb95250e44d8c9a61b1f1482841bea03

e4a8f1f2b6f15dc40516d23a439a4b331900cf63  10.6.8_anv.zip

Sinetek 10.6.8 full 64-bit kernel http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285180-snow-leopard-on-amd-split-in-progress/?do=findComment&comment=1874516

MD5 (/Users/cc/Desktop/10.6.8 kernels/mach_kernel) = 35b118ede41e38a95076dc1ccbc60c60

46acac8eb5b76ae509a4a2fe6503876920677e40  /Users/cc/Desktop/10.6.8 kernels/mach_kernel

good luck

Edited by bcobco

• 4 weeks later...

hi Sinetek

tried to use 10.6.8 with you kernel to see what will do with final cut pro & OpenGL on x86-64

there is problem with quicktime so final cut pro open but crash when playing vedio

also safari crash with quicktime vedios 

while Lion can't view opegl 1.5 and above

on snow leopard it can view to 2.1 with no problem using OpenGL extensions viewer

can this kernel be update to fix quicktime problem ?

hi Sinetek

tried to use 10.6.8 with you kernel to see what will do with final cut pro & OpenGL on x86-64

there is problem with quicktime so final cut pro open but crash when playing vedio

also safari crash with quicktime vedios 

while Lion can't view opegl 1.5 and above

on snow leopard it can view to 2.1 with no problem using OpenGL extensions viewer

can this kernel be update to fix quicktime problem ?

Hi Mohamed, see here  ---> #1 icon_share.png     ( Pre-patched QuickTimeComponents, if patcher fails for you )  download the patch of Deltac0, possibly the problems are solved with :) quicktime

Edited by spakk
  • Like 1

Hi Mohamed, see here  ---> #1 icon_share.png     ( Pre-patched QuickTimeComponents, if patcher fails for you )  download the patch of Deltac0, possibly the problems are solved with :) quicktime

the download makes problems, I have sent Deltac0 a message and asked him to upload the file again :)

the download makes problems, I have sent Deltac0 a message and asked him to upload the file again :)

Deltac0 has not logged on in months, I doubt he will come back

Why are we still using this thread? The Snow Leopard kernels are done, no further development to be done on them. Use Delta's guide and the help thread to install, though you should really be using Lion by now.

thought that kernel works with out need for dyld patching like on lion @ mlion

i patched

libSystem.B.dylib . dyld . QuickTimeComponents . QuickTimeH264.scalar

but quicktime problem isn't solved  

only 32bit problem become working 

------

i am trying on snow to see if will final cut pro work perfect or not !

i think this kernel to have latest diff done and development 

hope a new kernel for testing :)

Deltac0 has not logged on in months, I doubt he will come back

Why are we still using this thread? The Snow Leopard kernels are done, no further development to be done on them. Use Delta's guide and the help thread to install, though you should really be using Lion by now.

yes, unfortunately,

I suspect Deltac0 have as little time as I for hackintosh at the moment.

From vocational reasons, I will have to limit myself, and can only be on the weekend for a short time here to read the posts. Testing on my Hackintosh, at the moment no more time,  sorry to all forum members. :(

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

i use nawcom legacy kernel with arch=i386 -force64.

i quickly tested your 10.6.8 kernel on amd athlon 64 x2 4200+ AM2 :

no 32 bits app work at all, instant crash at launch, like on good old legacy kernel

but, yours is a bit improved for full 64 bits system :)

recent build of firefox launch in 64 bits (doesn't work for me with nawcom/anv kernel, need to launch it in 32 bits mode)

quicktime launch x264 video with a green screen (crashed before, with nawcom/anv kernel, need to launch it in 32 bits mode)

and voodooHDA 2.8.4 doesn't load with your kernel.

that's all i can say for the moment.

keep going tora !!! and many thanks to continue support for the old cat's :)

• Like 1

Hi,

i use nawcom legacy kernel with arch=i386 -force64.

i quickly tested your 10.6.8 kernel on amd athlon 64 x2 4200+ AM2 :

no 32 bits app work at all, instant crash at launch, like on good old legacy kernel

but, yours is a bit improved for full 64 bits system :)

recent build of firefox launch in 64 bits (doesn't work for me with nawcom/anv kernel, need to launch it in 32 bits mode)

quicktime launch x264 video with a green screen (crashed before, with nawcom/anv kernel, need to launch it in 32 bits mode)

and voodooHDA 2.8.4 doesn't load with your kernel.

that's all i can say for the moment.

keep going tora !!! and many thanks to continue support for the old cat's :)

Very similar issues of 10.6.8 for AMD Phenom x4 9850 BE in Asus M3A MB:

1. Booting at arch=x86_64 is fine

2. Immediate crash for Firefox

3. Not loaded VoodooHDA 2.8.4

4. No Flash for Safari

• 2 weeks later...

Very similar issues of 10.6.8 for AMD Phenom x4 9850 BE in Asus M3A MB:

2. Immediate crash for Firefox

3. Not loaded VoodooHDA 2.8.4

4. No Flash for Safari

I have only my compiled kernel 10.6.8 ! 
Works all programs 32 and 64 bit !
Have flash for 10.6.8 ! 
Firefox fine works . 
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have flash for 10.6.8 ! 
Firefox fine works . 

Can you show where I can download your compiled kernel for AMD 10.6.8 ?

Thanks again !

Have flash for 10.6.8 ! 
Firefox fine works . 

Hi ! 

Try test this my kernel rc1 for 10.6.8 64 bit !

Tnx !

And can donation to my paypal . ))

attachicon.gifmach_10.6.8_rc1.zip

Hi,

do we have something special to do before running your kernel when the nawcom kernel was already installed, with patched dyld/dylib ?

because i tried your kernel on my athlon 64, and i still have the same issues :

- instant crash when opening 32 bits only apps, or on fat binary apps when forced to run in 32 bits mode.

- safari work badly in 64 bits mode (on the apple site for exemple, he try to load the main page 3-4 time, then say it couldn't load the page)

- quicktime play h264 video with a lot of glitchs, and don't play others format video.

but firefox run fine in 64 bits mode, and voodoohda 2.8.4 load sucessfully :)

Have flash for 10.6.8 ! 
Firefox fine works . 

Unfortunately I got very similar issues of 10.6.8 for AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU in Asus A8N32-SLI MB:

2. Immediate crash for Firefox & PlistEdit Pro

3. No Flash for Safari

Unfortunately I got very similar issues of 10.6.8 for AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU in Asus A8N32-SLI MB:

2. Immediate crash for Firefox & PlistEdit Pro

3. No Flash for Safari

Hi! You can make video for this? I also can make screen capture video and show to you!