[Solved]NVIDIA GTS 450 - "Blue Screen" after changing resolution

57 posts in this topic

Hi fellow hackintoshers! :)

Having the following issue on ML, using an (Asus) NVIDIA GTS 450 (1GB), GraphicsEnabler=Yes

-> when I change the resolution the screen turns blue, everything else disappears!

(somehow this looks like a very familiar problem ;-)

By default it's on "best for display", and then everything (resolution/refresh rate/QE) works fine.

When I select "scaled" all the possible resolutions are normally there, but when selecting another (usable) resolution, everything disappears and I get stuck at a blue screen. So why change? ;) well it also happens when I connect a 2nd monitor, but that one does not automatically goes into the best resolution. And...

A similar problem happens when coming out of a 3D game (having no problems in the game) , I get a distorted image, LM graphics seems to have crashed then, but system has not totally crashed.

None of these problems in Lion, and in Lion changing resolutions on dual monitor also works fine.

Anyone having the same issue in ML?

Anyone any suggestions for a solution?

Cheers!

NeverMind

:-(

Do you also see in /var/log/system.log, things like?:

Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

Mac-Pro kernel[0]: 00000069

Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel timeout!

Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

:-(

Do you also see in /var/log/system.log, things like?:

Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

Mac-Pro kernel[0]: 00000069

Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel timeout!

Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

Yes :(

Jul 23 15:31:39 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

Jul 23 15:31:59 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel timeout!

Jul 23 15:31:59 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

Jul 23 15:31:59 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

Jul 23 15:32:19 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel timeout!

Jul 23 15:33:13 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

Jul 23 15:33:37 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel timeout!

Jul 23 15:33:37 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

I posted this issue last week and no response..I have had the same issue with 430GT, one guy who wrote the hdmi sound out kext for the 430 said it was an apple engineer issue..A problem they have to fix

GT 430 2 gb id = gt 430 1 gb id ?

Is it the same?

same = use nvdagf100hal and applegraphicspowermanagement..

Thats the answer for the issue on gt430 2gb..Are the ids the same? This was given to me by the 430 hdmi kext writer

Yes :(

Jul 23 15:31:39 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

Jul 23 15:31:59 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel timeout!

Jul 23 15:32:19 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel timeout!

Jul 23 15:33:13 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

Jul 23 15:33:37 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel timeout!

Jul 23 15:33:37 Mac-Pro-de-Edgar kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

GT435m same error...

-> when I change the resolution the screen turns blue, everything else disappears!

(somehow this looks like a very familiar problem ;-)

It is. If you use the forum search you can find posts about this issue and the same answer that I'm going to post here, from all the way back to 2006.

Blue screen on resolution change usually means that you're not using the primary display output on your video card. Try using another output.

On Nvidia cards, traditionally OS X prefers the primary display to be connected to the output that's closest to the motherboard, when looking directly at the back of your PC. You must reboot after switching outputs.

i have cuda installed

Not related. The CUDA driver does nothing besides enabling CUDA. Installing it can not possibly fix display issues.

This is in the top myths perpetrated here:

1. Extract your DSDT and place it in /Extra (this does nothing, overriding your DSDT with an unpatched DSDT is pointless)

2. OS X requires AHCI mode (this is not true, just use the right driver for your SATA controller)

3. Installing CUDA can fix video issues (no way)

• Like 1

I tried em all on the GT 430 and still getting the blue screens on that system..I have a GT 240 in another system and boom it all works..I didn't get the hdmi sound working, but haven't tried since the spdif works..So I have no clue what it is..The 240 almost exact stats on cinebench as 430..

It is. If you use the forum search you can find posts about this issue and the same answer that I'm going to post here, from all the way back to 2006.

Blue screen on resolution change usually means that you're not using the primary display output on your video card. Try using another output.

On Nvidia cards, traditionally OS X prefers the primary display to be connected to the output that's closest to the motherboard, when looking directly at the back of your PC. You must reboot after switching outputs.

Not related. The CUDA driver does nothing besides enabling CUDA. Installing it can not possibly fix display issues.

This is in the top myths perpetrated here:

1. Extract your DSDT and place it in /Extra (this does nothing, overriding your DSDT with an unpatched DSDT is pointless)

2. OS X requires AHCI mode (this is not true, just use the right driver for your SATA controller)

3. Installing CUDA can fix video issues (no way)

changing the output ports like you said didn't help.

btw,

what DOES cuda do then?

and what about DSDT, is it good to extract my DSDT to /extra AND patching it?

It's weird that changing outputs doesn't fix it. Must be something new that I am too old to know about.

what DOES cuda do then?

Exactly what I said, The CUDA driver enables CUDA to work. Put simply CUDA allows your GPU to be used as an additional CPU, but it only works with software that was explicitly programmed to use it. It's used mainly by professional software like some Photoshop plugins (but not Photoshop itself). There is no reason to install CUDA if you're not running any apps that make use of it - just like there's no reason to install PhysX on Windows if you don't use your PC to play games.

For more information, read the wikipedia article about CUDA.

and what about DSDT, is it good to extract my DSDT to /extra AND patching it?

I can't tell you if it's "good". You patch your DSDT in order to fix a specific problem that you're having.

• Like 1

Based on my previous experience with Nvidia Cards on Desktop systems, i can pretty much conclude GraphicsEnabler=Yes is not doing a good job for your card. My (old) system performs better using the NVEnabler.kext than any other type of EFI string. So you might wan't to give that a try.

Hi people! I have GeForce GTX 550 Ti and it has the same problems: blue screen after resolution change + after awaking from sleep its crashing and showing only artefacts, so hard reset need.

Did someone find a working solution to this problem?

My system configuration is:

ASUS P6T SE

EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

I would also be very grateful for a solution to this problem. I get the hanging blue screen whenever switching video mode (setting to mirror or unplugging a monitor) and cannot seem to wake the display after it goes to sleep. I can switch the order of my monitors without a crash (change primary and secondary).

I have a Asus G74SX Laptop with a GTX 560m running 10.8. My log when switching to Mirror mode:

7/30/12 11:34:50.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

7/30/12 11:34:55.000 PM kernel[0]: 00000069

Also have the same problem here on a GT 540m (Sony Vaio Laptop)

Before I installed Mountain Lion I had Lion working perfectly resolutions were changing without any issues, HDMI and VGA was working with no problems.

I have a patched DSTD, using it or not doesn't make a difference.

Also GraphicsEnabler = Yes or No also doesn't make a difference.

dstd or not graphicsenabler or not the GT 540m is always working perfectly with acceleration but when I try to change resolution or connect a monitor to the HDMI port, I get the blue screen and it gets stuck there forever.

Someone has any idea!?!

Hi people! I have GeForce GTX 550 Ti and it has the same problems: blue screen after resolution change + after awaking from sleep its crashing and showing only artefacts, so hard reset need.

Did someone find a working solution to this problem?

My system configuration is:

ASUS P6T SE

EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Exactly happening to me.... Also it was working perfectly in Snow Lion ! (HP Elitebook - 8560w - Nvidia Quadro 1000M = between GT540M / GT550M)

Somebody has fixed this ? The lack of resume from wake is a real show stopper for me right now ...