ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

817 posts in this topic

I did a seach and no luck so please dont blast me if it is somewhere in this thread but can i get step by step instructions on how to install the unlocker on esxi 5.1 and/or vcenter? if i connect the client directly to esxi i am able to boot osx no problem but when connected to vcenter server it gives me an error about not supporting darwin11 blah blah ... would i install the unlocker on the vcenter server or esxi or both? how would i go about doing it.. i iknow how to use putty and i know how to use scp but no where are there instructions on where to copy the files and what permissions i shoudl give them... i assume that after that i just type ./install.sh into the terminal but yeah.. i attempted to just copy them to root and run it but got some weird ran out of ROM memory etc and the whole server just crashed... please help (as a side note i worked hard right now taking those damn quizes to be able to post here so please be kind)

I did a seach and no luck so please dont blast me if it is somewhere in this thread but can i get step by step instructions on how to install the unlocker on esxi 5.1 and/or vcenter? if i connect the client directly to esxi i am able to boot osx no problem but when connected to vcenter server it gives me an error about not supporting darwin11 blah blah ... would i install the unlocker on the vcenter server or esxi or both? how would i go about doing it.. i iknow how to use putty and i know how to use scp but no where are there instructions on where to copy the files and what permissions i shoudl give them... i assume that after that i just type ./install.sh into the terminal but yeah.. i attempted to just copy them to root and run it but got some weird ran out of ROM memory etc and the whole server just crashed... please help (as a side note i worked hard right now taking those damn quizes to be able to post here so please be kind)

Firstly please use some capitals, carriage returns and punctuation. I find it hard to read posts like this.

1. Unlocker only works for ESXi and you cannot use vCenter to start the Mac VM. Known issue no workaround currently.

2. Please re-read the text file that comes with the unlocker - do NOT put in root of ESXi but copy and run from a datastore volume.

Hi,

I got few problems with my ESXi. I'm using ESXi 5.1 and trying to run unlock downloaded from this forum. When I'm running it i got something as seen below.

/vmfs/volumes/505cacad-7c983265-ea01-000c29d08428/unlock-all-v110/esxi # ./insta

ll.sh

VMware ESXi 5.0 Unlocker 1.1.0

==============================

Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-12

Patching files...

Patching bin/vmx

File mapped @0x3ffd31ae010 length 16877808

Found OSK0 @ 0x3ffd3bab225

Found OSK1 @ 0x3ffd3bab25d

Found SRVR @ 0x3ffd3bef2c6

Patching bin/vmx-debug

File mapped @0x3ffd31ae010 length 21344208

Found OSK0 @ 0x3ffd3cd7a65

Found OSK1 @ 0x3ffd3cd7a9d

Found SRVR @ 0x3ffd3d1c406

Patching bin/vmx-stats

File mapped @0x7416d0 length 19599544

Found OSK0 @ 0x115fb45

Found OSK1 @ 0x115fb7d

Found SRVR @ 0x11a53e6

Patching vmwarebase is not supported on this platform

Setting permissions...

Creating darwin.tgz...

bin/

bin/vmx

bin/vmx-debug

bin/vmx-stats

addr: 0, sz: 10439724, flags: 5

addr: 0x9f7094, sz: 2206732, flags: 6

bin/vmx: textPgs: 2548, fixUpPgs: 0

Aligning executable bin/vmx

addr: 0, sz: 11664156, flags: 5

addr: 0xb217b4, sz: 2242540, flags: 6

bin/vmx-debug: textPgs: 2847, fixUpPgs: 0

Aligning executable bin/vmx-debug

addr: 0, sz: 10573180, flags: 5

addr: 0xa1768c, sz: 2371892, flags: 6

bin/vmx-stats: textPgs: 2581, fixUpPgs: 0

Aligning executable bin/vmx-stats

Adding darwin.tgz to boot.cfg...

Acquiring lock /tmp/bootbank.lck

Copying darwin.vgz to /bootbank/darwin.vgz

Editing /bootbank/boot.cfg to add module darwin.vgz

Please now reboot the host system!

"Patching vmwarebase is not supported on this platform" this is my problem i think becouse I got the same problem on VM Workstation on my Win 7 x64 OS. When i managed to patch this file my OSX started to work. Can some one help me whit this problem?

And secound question I got my ESXi on the Supermicro PDSMI+ Mother Board. It got two sepered intel chips for the LAN: 82573V and 82573L. The problem is that the ESXi 5.1 is not working properli whit it. But the VMware HCL says that it is compatible whit it. I read somewher that the 5.0 works grate whit 82573V and 82573L. How I can change the drivers in the 5.1?

• 3 weeks later...

We are having an issue with the unlocker. After the unlocker patch has been installed on an ESXi host, no non-Mac VMs can start on that host; in addition, non-Mac VMs created on that host will not easily start on other hosts - they have to be tinkered with first. Has anyone else seen this behavior and is there any fix?

Hi,

I got few problems with my ESXi. I'm using ESXi 5.1 and trying to run unlock downloaded from this forum. When I'm running it i got something as seen below.

"Patching vmwarebase is not supported on this platform" this is my problem i think becouse I got the same problem on VM Workstation on my Win 7 x64 OS. When i managed to patch this file my OSX started to work. Can some one help me whit this problem?

And secound question I got my ESXi on the Supermicro PDSMI+ Mother Board. It got two sepered intel chips for the LAN: 82573V and 82573L. The problem is that the ESXi 5.1 is not working properli whit it. But the VMware HCL says that it is compatible whit it. I read somewher that the 5.0 works grate whit 82573V and 82573L. How I can change the drivers in the 5.1?

There is no vmwarebase to patch on ESXi so that is the correct output. Only Workstation and Player vmwarebase libraries are patched with the unlocker.

We are having an issue with the unlocker. After the unlocker patch has been installed on an ESXi host, no non-Mac VMs can start on that host; in addition, non-Mac VMs created on that host will not easily start on other hosts - they have to be tinkered with first. Has anyone else seen this behavior and is there any fix?

No have had no problems. What do you mean "tinkered with"?

No have had no problems. What do you mean "tinkered with"?

Donk, in reference to alexiskai-- I've isolated the source of the problem down to this snippet from the logs:

2012-11-06T05:21:12.760Z [314F4B90 warning 'Libs'] VMHSSpawnVMXUW: unable to spawn /bin/vmx: Operation not permitted
2012-11-06T05:21:12.760Z [314F4B90 info 'Libs'] VigorClient_StartAndConnect Failed: Failed to launch peer process

/bin/vmx
Error during version check: Failed to get vmkernel version: 0xffffffff

I can provide more of the logs if they'd be helpful. I cloned the machine in question and that was the first attempt to power it on (it's been 3 so far that have fallen victem to the no-power-on issue).

I don't remember what I did with migration to get the machines back on -- that was before I figured out what the cause was. As soon as I reverted unlocker, before rebooting, the machine powered on immediately.

Donk, in reference to alexiskai-- I've isolated the source of the problem down to this snippet from the logs:

2012-11-06T05:21:12.760Z [314F4B90 warning 'Libs'] VMHSSpawnVMXUW: unable to spawn /bin/vmx: Operation not permitted
2012-11-06T05:21:12.760Z [314F4B90 info 'Libs'] VigorClient_StartAndConnect Failed: Failed to launch peer process

/bin/vmx
Error during version check: Failed to get vmkernel version: 0xffffffff

I can provide more of the logs if they'd be helpful. I cloned the machine in question and that was the first attempt to power it on (it's been 3 so far that have fallen victem to the no-power-on issue).

I don't remember what I did with migration to get the machines back on -- that was before I figured out what the cause was. As soon as I reverted unlocker, before rebooting, the machine powered on immediately.

Is this a vCenter system? If so I am sorry to say the unlocker really doesn't work that well. Really only works with a standalone system as Sebus mentioned. I have tried to find what else is needed for vCenter and then vMotion etc., to work but haven't managed to find anything yet. (And I have been looking for a l long time!)

However these are the first logs I have seen on this so could you send me the vmx and vmware.log files from the original guest and a clone, please? And one other question you have you upgraded the ESXi version without re-running the unlocker?

• Like 1

Is this a vCenter system? If so I am sorry to say the unlocker really doesn't work that well. Really only works with a standalone system as Sebus mentioned. I have tried to find what else is needed for vCenter and then vMotion etc., to work but haven't managed to find anything yet. (And I have been looking for a l long time!)

However these are the first logs I have seen on this so could you send me the vmx and vmware.log files from the original guest and a clone, please? And one other question you have you upgraded the ESXi version without re-running the unlocker?

The vmware.log files for the machines themselves weren't written to by the power on attempts, so they won't be much use, that snippet came from hostd.log...I'll send it your way shortly.

I also just saw this in the kernel logs:

2012-11-06T04:30:40.418Z cpu0:6003)VmkAccess: 637: hostd-vix-poll: access denied:: dom:appDom(2), obj:vmxSys(66), mode:syscall_allow(2)
2012-11-06T04:37:19.983Z cpu0:6003)VmkAccess: 637: hostd-vix-poll: access denied:: dom:appDom(2), obj:vmxSys(66), mode:syscall_allow(2)
2012-11-06T05:21:12.758Z cpu5:6003)VmkAccess: 637: hostd-vix-poll: access denied:: dom:appDom(2), obj:vmxSys(66), mode:syscall_allow(2)
2012-11-06T05:36:40.141Z cpu5:1037388)VmkAccess: 637: vmx: access denied:: dom:appDom(2), obj:vmxSys(66), mode:syscall_allow(2)
2012-11-06T05:36:46.002Z cpu3:1041489)VmkAccess: 637: vmx: access denied:: dom:appDom(2), obj:vmxSys(66), mode:syscall_allow(2)

Yes, it is a cluster -- though that host just got kicked out of it. We upgraded, re-applied unlocker, unapplied unlocker, and re-applied unlocker. :)

Thanks for the swift response!

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed Vsphere 5.1 and Mountain Lion, and the whole thing went exceptionally smoothly. The system is a Supermicro X8ST3-F with 12GB of RAM and a Xeon E5506.

Once Vsphere was installed I applied the patch, and used the hdiutil trick posted by Battmac to create the CD image for 10.8.2:

"The ISO image must be created from the Lion ‘InstallESD.dmg’ (you can open package contents and browse to the "ESD.dmg located in /Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg.) Using terminal on Mac OS: hdiutil convert InstallESD.dmg -format UDTO -o InstallESD.iso. This will result in a .cdr file (.iso.cdr). You simply remove the ".cdr" and keep the ".iso" I then copied the .iso to a "local" storage on my ESXi box, and pointed the installer to the iso... "

Booted the VM and Mountain Lion installed and is very happy.

Many thanks to every here!

Weird issue- I had everything set up and running on ESXi 5.0U1, updated to 5.1, reapplied the patch, rebooted and none of my Mac VMs will start. I get a Circle Slash, and they just sit there. All of my other VM's start up just fine. Any Ideas?

FYI I am using the HP customized ESXi image (but I also used the HP customized 5.0U1 and that worked just fine)

EDIT: Also, my host was in maintenance mode when I applied the patch, could this cause an issue?

UPDATE Uninstalled the patch, rebooted, re-installed the patch, rebooted- All my VM's boot up in under a minute, and it no longer asks me a question about multiple CPUs!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've applied the unlocker to install OS X 10.6 on our ESXi 5. worked perfectly. But if I try to run the installer, I get a kernel panic as soon as the Apple-splash screen is visible:

The guest OS panicked. The first line of the panic report is: panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2a6ac2): Kernel trap at 0x1b5b4d25, type 6=invalid opcode, registers:

I've tried to set npci=0x2000, enabling / disabling NX/XD-Bit, tried the EFI Shell, set the Intel VT-x setting, but nothing seems to help.

Setting

cpuid.80000001.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"
or
cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

Doesn't help either.

The ESXI runs on an Intel Xeon E5606 CPU and the installation image is a DMG of the 10.6 installation DVD.

Is this Host system incompatible with OX X?

I coudn't find any other hint on the net.

OS X Buildsys.vmx.txt

post-1102265-0-21297100-1354110434_thumb.png

I just installed Vsphere 5.1 and Mountain Lion, and the whole thing went exceptionally smoothly. The system is a Supermicro X8ST3-F with 12GB of RAM and a Xeon E5506.

Once Vsphere was installed I applied the patch, and used the hdiutil trick posted by Battmac to create the CD image for 10.8.2:

"The ISO image must be created from the Lion ‘InstallESD.dmg’ (you can open package contents and browse to the "ESD.dmg located in /Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg.) Using terminal on Mac OS: hdiutil convert InstallESD.dmg -format UDTO -o InstallESD.iso. This will result in a .cdr file (.iso.cdr). You simply remove the ".cdr" and keep the ".iso" I then copied the .iso to a "local" storage on my ESXi box, and pointed the installer to the iso... "

Booted the VM and Mountain Lion installed and is very happy.

Many thanks to every here!

Just for completeness ESXi 5.1 will allow you to mount and install L or ML directly from the InstallESD.dmg file rather than converting to an ISO. However this is not the case for Workstation 9 and Player 5, they do not support mounting the DMG file, so converting to an ISO is still required for these platforms.

Hi,

I've applied the unlocker to install OS X 10.6 on our ESXi 5. worked perfectly. But if I try to run the installer, I get a kernel panic as soon as the Apple-splash screen is visible:

The guest OS panicked. The first line of the panic report is: panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2a6ac2): Kernel trap at 0x1b5b4d25, type 6=invalid opcode, registers:

I've tried to set npci=0x2000, enabling / disabling NX/XD-Bit, tried the EFI Shell, set the Intel VT-x setting, but nothing seems to help.

Setting

cpuid.80000001.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"
or
cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

Doesn't help either.

The ESXI runs on an Intel Xeon E5606 CPU and the installation image is a DMG of the 10.6 installation DVD.

Is this Host system incompatible with OX X?

I couldn't find any other hint on the net.

OK, not sure why you are having a problem, firstly your processor appears to support VT-x, so ensure it is enabled in BIOS. Also I think ESXi 5.1 is the first non Fusion iteration of VMware to support mounting a DMG image, and I have always installed SL from either the original "Retail" DVD or an ISO image of the "Retail" version, not the rebuild version supplied with Mac hardware at the time. Secondly you need to create the VMX configuration file (which you appear to have done), and add the CPUID mask as per the original topic, as your Xeon 5600 series processor is not supported by the 10.6.3 installation media, before trying to boot your OS X VM, see below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/232183-snow-leopard-on-vmware-and-disabled-cpu-error/#entry1551966

Finally installation will only work in your vSphere client if you are directly logged on to the specific ESXi host, not via vCenter Server.

I can confirm that SL installation on Xeon 5600 series hardware using both ESXi 5 and 5.1 with the latest 1.1.0 "Unlocker" is both possible and works fine.

Is it safe to say that this unlocker will NOT work on an esxi 5 host that's running on an AMD processor? Those new 16-core AMD chips look enticing but not if I'm going to lose access to my guest OS X VM. Thanks

In a word no, it is nothing to do with the "Unlocker", it simply enables existing OS X support feature, disabled by VMware on non Apple hardware. It is that Apple only use Intel CPU's and therefore currently no code to support AMD CPU's. So no Vanilla OS X on AMD, the only workaround is to use a modified kernel, not ideal.

Just for clarification, VMware ESXi 5.1 Supports OS X including Mountain Lion, but ONLY on Apple hardware, in fact officially MacPro5,1 (Intel Xeon 56x Series) and Xserve3,1 (Intel Xeon 55xx Series), the MacPro was added with the release of 5.1.

So if you install ESXi 5.1 on any other hardware you will need the "Unlocker" currently v1.1.0, it removes the Apple hardware check amongst other things.

Hope this helps, MSoK.

So I am working on a small project at our office - we have a Mid2011 MacMini5,3 and got 5.1 installed on it without any issues (well, minor issue - Ethernet didn't work, enter: http://paraguin.com/...2-installation/) In any case, got it working, logged into the console view and tried first booting to a USB installer of Mountain Lion (but in reality the USB installer had all three, more to come on this) - but when I start the VM it shows the vmware gray screen, it then shows the apple and about 5 seconds later it reboots. (over and over again). I installed the patch just for giggles and it keeps rebooting.

I am currently copying the InstallESD.dmg to the datastore to boot from this as I heard this is now a feature? But any thoughts here? Something simple I missed? As always, very much appreciated! Have a good one!

---Edit---

I'm good now - it did accept the DMG without issues. Going through the install process now.

Edited by mattpayerle

So I am working on a small project at our office - we have a Mid2011 MacMini5,3 and got 5.1 installed on it without any issues (well, minor issue - Ethernet didn't work, enter: http://paraguin.com/...2-installation/) In any case, got it working, logged into the console view and tried first booting to a USB installer of Mountain Lion (but in reality the USB installer had all three, more to come on this) - but when I start the VM it shows the vmware gray screen, it then shows the apple and about 5 seconds later it reboots. (over and over again). I installed the patch just for giggles and it keeps rebooting.

I am currently copying the InstallESD.dmg to the datastore to boot from this as I heard this is now a feature? But any thoughts here? Something simple I missed? As always, very much appreciated! Have a good one!

---Edit---

I'm good now - it did accept the DMG without issues. Going through the install process now.

Matt,

As you have found ESXi 5.1 supports booting from DMG as well as ISO, not the case in W9 or P5. Also you should not need the "Unlocker" as ESXi should recognise your 2011 Mac Mini hardware, although some issues with the new 2012 Mac Mini 6,2, see the VMware link below which has a relevant work around, pending an official VMware patch release:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/423099?start=0&tstart=0

• Like 1

Matt,

As you have found ESXi 5.1 supports booting from DMG as well as ISO, not the case in W9 or P5. Also you should not need the "Unlocker" as ESXi should recognise your 2011 Mac Mini hardware, although some issues with the new 2012 Mac Mini 6,2, see the VMware link below which has a relevant work around, pending an official VMware patch release:

http://communities.v...tart=0&tstart=0

Thanks MSoK! The issue I found was trying to boot the VM from the attached USB drive - once I booted to the DMG it worked beautifully!

Thanks MSoK! The issue I found was trying to boot the VM from the attached USB drive - once I booted to the DMG it worked beautifully!

Matt,

Great news, again just for information OS X ML 10.8.3 and Lion 10.7.5 are running fine using the latest ESXi 5.1 build 838463, with the "Unlocker" v1.1.0 if not on Apple hardware.

That's really odd - the page would skip to a 404 error really quickly in win /mac and multiple browsers. Had to use a well timed press of the escape key to stop the page so I could download it. cheers for the quick reply.

I noticed there are so many posts of different attempts to install Lion or Mountain Lion into ESXi 5.0 or 5.0u1 or 5.1. It's rather quite confusing.

I'm wondering if someone could just simply post whether or not they've successfully installed Mountain Lion on 5.1 (fresh install) or must I have to downgrade my ESXi to some earlier release first? would hate to since I've already got plenty of VMs running in 5.1.

On a side note, someone mentioned creating a VM in version 9 via vCenter. Is there really a need to do so? Seems someone had succesfully installed 10.8.x on VM9 and I'm wondering if VM9 is truly a prerequisite to getting it successfully installed.

thanks.