ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

817 posts in this topic

hello all

a have esxi 5.0.0 768111 unlocked via unlocker 110

CPU i7 2600 and 32gb ram

I try to install VM with macos 10.8 with help of iso file which was created via "hdiutil convert InstallESD.dmg -format UDTO -o InstallESD.iso"

but I get the same error as on screenshot above - Still waiting for root device..

CD/DVD drive also in Emulate IDE mode and grayed out..

is there any chance to get rid from this error ?

Is the ISO file on a locally attached data storage seen by esxi?

mine in folder called "ISO"

is it important ?

I do not think it's "important" but I was curious as to "where" the ISO was... and as mentioned above, other (linux) installs have successfully ran using the same method. I think that this error is generated depending on hardware type. I had no issues installing (Lion in my case) using the ISO saved on a local storage... I always clic the option to connect at power on however... (this might be obvious, but one never knows!!!)

the reason I mention "hardware type" is because I do not have the "Passthrough IDE (recommended)" greyed out. I was not obligated to use it however...

so.. would you please give a screenshot with settings of you VM with ML

Especially interested CD/DVD Drive..

Also - have your server hard DVD drive ?

My server - doesnt have it.

I will gladly provide any screenshots and info in order to help, but I am not home at the moment, so it will have to wait a bit. In the meantime, my host server does have a "hardware" CD/DVD (make is LG)

New version 1.1.0 installed con esxi5 515841 succesfully!

Test made:

- Installed retail snow, and full updated!

- Update to Lion, don't start i get apple and stop

- Update from snow to Mountain lion, dont start. EFI does not see hard disc.

Any help with both problems?

I will gladly provide any screenshots and info in order to help, but I am not home at the moment, so it will have to wait a bit. In the meantime, my host server does have a "hardware" CD/DVD (make is LG)

Did this ever get resolved? I would love to see some screenshots as well to see if mine is the same. But just curious if anyone has a fix for this :)

Did this ever get resolved? I would love to see some screenshots as well to see if mine is the same. But just curious if anyone has a fix for this :)

Sorry all, been a little busy with other stuff, but as mentioned above, will provide some help/feedback as soon as possible!

I installed successfully snow using local iso file on vmware client and fully updated ok!!.

I have problems this way with Lion, i see problems with dvd ide, so I deleted it, and tryed via boot usb durned lion dvd. Startd ok, i takes more one hour to install, but everithing OK!!! When fully update does not start (i will give more information)

I will try with the phisical DVD on the esxi server. Thanks

Now I will try with Lion Mountain

Thanks!

Hey Batmacc,

I had some success with this. My testing steps were: Install Unlocker, test (works), Update patches, reboot, uninstall patcher, reboot, install unlocker, reboot, test (successful). Those steps worked for me without fail, not sure if it falls in line with what you are doing.

Also, some side notes to my previous posts last week. I successfully have all three OS's (SL, Lion, ML) On my ESXi 5 box and all updated without issue.

I did find that I had to use the physical DVD for all of them rather than an ISO.

The only modification I made on each one of them was set the smc.present = "FALSE" on each vmx and then attached the physical SCSI and physical DVD and it would boot just fine and then I could install from there and boot normally after.

If anyone has any fixes for why it won't boot from ISO that would be great. Although, I'm not entirely sure that the ISO was correctly created, so if anyone has some simple steps to verify the ISO creation or how you create your ISO's that would be awesome!

Great work on the Patcher once again!

Why are you using iatkos?, we are using retail versions ...

Hey!

i've got the issue that my ESXi Instance with iAtkos L2 isn't booting after a successful installation. The Problem is based on a neverending "Still waiting for root device". The Problem is, that my server don't have a physical CD/DVD-Drive and so it's not possible to add a SCSI-Drive.

Further i can't use the unlocker in the shell because it don't recognize every command. So the command "rm in line 17" isn't known by the shell. I'm very desperate about this :(

Can anybody help me?

smc.present = "false" does not solve mi problem. I'm using both scsi dvd locally or dvd ide, same error still waiting for root device

booting with -v -ncpi=0x2000

Any help?

PD: With Snow and Lion no problem. Only Mountain Lion

EDIT1: I think I have found my problem!! With Mountaing Lion. I can only create OS X 10.6 virtual machines!! I will try to update esxi5 server

If you are booting from SL, then you need to select OS X 10.6 rather than 10.7, not sure if it actually makes a difference, but worth a try, we ned to see your vmx config file and vmware.log files to assist further if the selecting the correct guestOS does not work.

No it is due to the emulation code in vmx executables. You can use FakeSMC to fix it and set smc.present = "false" in the vmx file.

Hi everybody,

I'm running ESXi 5.0 on my Mac Mini server but need a little more RAM, CPU power and especialy storage for additional VMs. We have Lenovo hardware and I successfully used the unlocker on a ThinkCentre M91p (i5-2400, Q67 chipset) to install 10.7.4. I thought, great, seems to be working, let's move on to the next step, a brand new M92p i5-3470 Ivy Bridge (Q77 chipset) with 32GB RAM but so far no luck. I did a clean install of ESXi, installed the patch (only error I get is: Patching vmwarebase is not supported on this platform), rebooted, created a new custom VM with OS X 10.7 x64 and the VM hangs at the Apple logo. If I check https://myesxiserverIP/mob/?moid=ha-host&doPath=hardware I see smcPresent = FALSE while on the Mac Mini it says TRUE. I didn't check what the M91 said but I tried to change the vmx and set smc.present = "FALSE" with no difference. VT-D is enabled and ESXi installs fine.

Does anybody have any hints on what I'm overlooking? I suppose the Intel Q77 chipset us supported, isn't it?

Thanks for any help,

Dirk

Hi everybody,

I'm running ESXi 5.0 on my Mac Mini server but need a little more RAM, CPU power and especialy storage for additional VMs. We have Lenovo hardware and I successfully used the unlocker on a ThinkCentre M91p (i5-2400, Q67 chipset) to install 10.7.4. I thought, great, seems to be working, let's move on to the next step, a brand new M92p i5-3470 Ivy Bridge (Q77 chipset) with 32GB RAM but so far no luck. I did a clean install of ESXi, installed the patch (only error I get is: Patching vmwarebase is not supported on this platform), rebooted, created a new custom VM with OS X 10.7 x64 and the VM hangs at the Apple logo. If I check https://myesxiserverIP/mob/?moid=ha-host&doPath=hardware I see smcPresent = FALSE while on the Mac Mini it says TRUE. I didn't check what the M91 said but I tried to change the vmx and set smc.present = "FALSE" with no difference. VT-D is enabled and ESXi installs fine.

Does anybody have any hints on what I'm overlooking? I suppose the Intel Q77 chipset us supported, isn't it?

Thanks for any help,

Dirk

That is good to know the m91 works in general. At our office we have the E20/E30 line and their ethernet card isn't supported :( Sorry I can't be more help on your issue. I'll be happy to help troubleshoot along the way. How long did you leave it at the Apple logo? My ML and Lion both waited about 15-20 minutes before booting in successfully.

On the M92 I still saw the Apple logo after letting it "boot" for 2+ hours. Tried another M91 today but only got a kernel panic when I try to boot from the 10.7.4 InstallESD ISO. Too bad that I had to return the first M91 before capturing some more details. Will experiment a little more tonight if time allows.

Update: Everything I had tested in my other posts were done at my office with some inventory. I went home and have the same box 745 and was able to install using a USB installer of ML without too much issue. It was a little slow, but I had other things running, so it was to be expected.

I did try with the ISO again on my machine wondering if it was something up with the installation of the work box, but that still failed. I don't technically need the fix for the ISO installer, but it would be nice to see if someone has resolution to this issue.

I'm installing 10.7.4 right now on my Shuttle SX68R2/i7-3770 running ESXi 5.1 with the 1.1.0 unlocker. Seems to be working.

I got the M91/i5-2400 working after I switched to a physical DVD in the host DVD drive mapped as SCSI CD/DVD in my virtual machine. A mapped USB drive on the computer running vsphere might have worked too but it took much longer. The kernel panic on the M91 was caused by TxT enabled in the BIOS.

I installed ESXi 5.1 on a MacBook 4,1 (technically not supported by Mountain Lion) and I can boot the Mountain Lion DVD and am starting the install process.

Hopefully ESXi will allow older mac's (such as mine) to be able to run Mountain Lion where my only short coming is no 64bit Intel Graphics. My EFI is 64bit, my computer is 64bit, but my graphics was deemed unworthy of an update to 10.8. I know 64bit drivers exist because I could boot Lion with "6+4" keys held down into "64bit mode".

I'm feeling kind of dopey, because this ESXi unlocker script can't possibly work.

"rm -rf ./bin" will remove the entire contents and all subdirectories of the /bin folder.

"mkdir bin" then can't be run, because "mkdir" is now missing!

Unless there's another "bin" folder that is supposed to be accessed? I'm really confused how anybody got this to work.

- Slog

I'm feeling kind of dopey, because this ESXi unlocker script can't possibly work.

"rm -rf ./bin" will remove the entire contents and all subdirectories of the /bin folder.

"mkdir bin" then can't be run, because "mkdir" is now missing!

Unless there's another "bin" folder that is supposed to be accessed? I'm really confused how anybody got this to work.

- Slog

"mkdir bin" creates a directory named bin. The script removed the bin directory, and recreates it.

Shouldn't be a problem.

Do we have any confirmation that the unlocker works with 5.1?