ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

817 posts in this topic

ESXi 5.0.1 released and this is in the notes. I have yet to try the unlocker on it.

Support for additional guest operating systems

ESXi 5.0 Update 1

adds support for Mac OS X Server Lion 10.7.2 and 10.7.3.

ESXi 5.0.1 released and this is in the notes. I have yet to try the unlocker on it.

Support for additional guest operating systems

ESXi 5.0 Update 1

adds support for Mac OS X Server Lion 10.7.2 and 10.7.3.

Donk,

Thanks for the heads up, I only checked the other day, and nothing new, will update over the weekend and see how L and ML fair.

Cheers,

MSoK.

P.S. Sorry I forgot your birthday last month, belated best wishes.

Donk,

How did you get Mountain Lion up and running? I've updated, used your unlocker, Mountain Lion gets further than it did before (past the root device error) but now I'm getting a:

ACPI_SMC_PlatforumPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

I've tried it with both smc.present = "TRUE" and smc.present = "FALSE"

Thx!

Lion 10.7.3 works great under ESXi 5.0 U1. Lion 10.7.4 and Mountain Lion DP2 both don't work anymore. They need FakeSMC.kext and smc.present = "false" (FakeSMC takes over) because it can't read some keys from the builtin smc.

This doesn't look so good. Apple have obviously changed something in the kernel and now the core of VMware is not returning the requested SMC values. I don't have an answer for now, so steer clear of 10.7.4 on ESXi. May well also affect other products.

UPDATE: OK so looking for 2 keys that VMware does not emulate. Back to the drawing board.

Hi all

Been toying of the idea running Mac OSX with VGA passthrough to a graphics card, had some success with windows on this. But guess the first step on the mac front is to get the OS actually running!

Host system is:

CPU: Xeon E3 1245

Mobo: Asus P8B-WS (C206 chipset)

RAM: 32GB Corsair

Running ESXi 5 (5.0.0 469512) on a 4GB USB stick

Didnt seem to have any issues installing the latest version of the esxi install script.

I had a Lion 10.7.3 dmg image which I have convered to an ISO and uploaded to my datastore, then mapped the VM CD drive (running in IDE mode) to the ISO file.

When booting I would just get stuck on the apple logo...

So in a few previous posts I saw how to specify boot options and I get the output on the attached image.

I read that the only way round this is to boot from a USB stick containing the installer?

Im fairly clued up around the command line, but by no means a pro! Just new to all this, own a mac book pro but iv got toys and want to play! and see whats possible with ESXi :)

Hi all

Been toying of the idea running Mac OSX with VGA passthrough to a graphics card, had some success with windows on this. But guess the first step on the mac front is to get the OS actually running!

Host system is:

CPU: Xeon E3 1245

Mobo: Asus P8B-WS (C206 chipset)

RAM: 32GB Corsair

Running ESXi 5 (5.0.0 469512) on a 4GB USB stick

Didnt seem to have any issues installing the latest version of the esxi install script.

I had a Lion 10.7.3 dmg image which I have convered to an ISO and uploaded to my datastore, then mapped the VM CD drive (running in IDE mode) to the ISO file.

When booting I would just get stuck on the apple logo...

So in a few previous posts I saw how to specify boot options and I get the output on the attached image.

I read that the only way round this is to boot from a USB stick containing the installer?

Im fairly clued up around the command line, but by no means a pro! Just new to all this, own a mac book pro but iv got toys and want to play! and see whats possible with ESXi :)

Not sure if this is related, but I have just posted a reply in Donk's ESXi topic, the point is I have installed Lion 10.7.3 using the dmg file on ESXi 5 U1, see below.

I built a new ESXi Server with U1 Build 623860, and used the Lion 10.7.3 dmg copied from the content of a brand new App Store download to SL, and the install ran without any problems, having installed the 102 unlocker before I started. Previously I have not been able to use the dmg, and iso did not work either, so had to create a USB stick, or use the Apple USB stick, but that is 10.7.0

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed ESXI 5 with an AMD Phenom II CPU.

¿Could I install SL or Lion server with this unlocker?

rokkhan,

Sorry, in a word no, vanilla OS X has no support for AMD processors, you would have to find a modified kernel version to support your CPU.

Hallo

i am a new User on this Board.

I want install OSX 10.6 server on a ESXI 5 .0.0

i have patched the ESXI successfull with Unlocker 1.0.2, but when i start the Installation there is a Problem: EFI iscsi mount HDD unsuccessfull

where is the Problem, my mistake?

The DVD from OSX server is an original !!

please help me...

the Host:

Gigabyte Board

16 GB Ram

i5 2,80 GHZ

4 Core

Nvidia Graphic 8400GS

lg

Juergen

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for help us.

I have a ESXi 5.0.0 Build 469512 running on Intel Core i7 2600k // 8GB DDR 3 // Intel MotherBoard DH61CR //

I've success to Install OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on this scenario.

So to make this VM, i followed this steps.

1 - Download the file: unlock-all-v102.zip to ESXi datastore and Expand the file.

2 - Enter on unlock-all-v102/esxi folder and run install.sh

3 - Reboot the server.

4 - Create the VM with recomended installation

5 - With ssh, edit the vmx file and put this code into the file: cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

6 - Save and quit of editor.

7 - Finally Edit the VM with vSphere client.

7.1 - Click on Edit Settings, and Add a SCSI Device.

7.2 - Choose your DVD Rom Drive, And set the Device Node to: SCSI (0:1)

8 - Power On the Virtual Machine and when the VMWARE Logo appears, hit F8

9 - Select Boot Manager

10 - And Finally Select EFI SCSI CD/DVD Drive.

Install Your OSX and be Happy. :D

Sorry about my poor english.

If u need help just contact-me at: umhost.com.br

Thank you all!

It is a problem in the ESXi code and if you check the ESXi release notes VMware are aware of the problem. The unlocker can't fix it.

Thanks for this info! As always, VMware Fusion Team has fixed this already with the newest Version (4.1.2).

It seems to me, that Apple has removed some (or even all) 32bit Graphic drivers within 10.7.4, and this seems to be the reason for long reboot times...