ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

817 posts in this topic

I have the VMware Workstation Preview 2 (build 754035) and use the unlocker 1.1.0. At first it worked perfect but now I get error -44

Any ideas?

Not an unlocker error as it is not patched. Have you rebooted the system? Also wrong thread as there is a separate one for Workstation, but let's deal with it here for now.

The problem persists even after rebooting. I guess is the problem of the preview 2. Thanks

Not sure the problem is preview 2, working fine for me both as a new June download (build 754035) and patched up to 754035 for the original e.x.p build 646643 all using Donk's 1.1.0 unlocker running Snow, Lion and Mountain happily. Might be worth a complete uninstall and VMware Workstation directory deletion, re-boot and fresh install and make sure all the services are running before, stopping them and installing the unlocker, maybe overkill but no other immediate thoughts.

After a week of fighting with iCloud, I think I got it ! I extracted the EFI roms from the vmware workstation 8.0.4 and used it in ESXi with vmx line efi64.filename = and it works ! iCloud that is, iMessage still no good, but that doesnt work on vmware workstation or fusion eather...

Just upgraded my 10.7 VM on ESXi to 10.8 with no problem. Just installed from DMG. iCloud is working no problem. iMessage doesn't work. Don't really care about that one. I'm not really sure what else to test. One new issue since upgrade is ESX now gives a warning about multiple CPUs every time it reboots.

Also, even from the beginning when I built it as 10.7, it takes FOREVER to boot. I just see the Apple logo screen with spinning wheel for 10 minutes or so then it comes up fine. Any ideas what this delay is about?

Just upgraded my 10.7 VM on ESXi to 10.8 with no problem. Just installed from DMG. iCloud is working no problem. iMessage doesn't work. Don't really care about that one. I'm not really sure what else to test. One new issue since upgrade is ESX now gives a warning about multiple CPUs every time it reboots.

Also, even from the beginning when I built it as 10.7, it takes FOREVER to boot. I just see the Apple logo screen with spinning wheel for 10 minutes or so then it comes up fine. Any ideas what this delay is about?

fakesmc.kext and it`ll boot in 45 secs

Hi,

I've an 10.7 Server VM running on an ESXi 5. I want to update it now. What will be the procedure to have everything running at the end? So, the fakesmc and lsi stuff is not hurt. I have already extracted the 64bit efi from Fusion.

Thx.

Bye

Hey!

i've got the issue that my ESXi Instance with iAtkos L2 isn't booting after a successful installation. The Problem is based on a neverending "Still waiting for root device". The Problem is, that my server don't have a physical CD/DVD-Drive and so it's not possible to add a SCSI-Drive.

Further i can't use the unlocker in the shell because it don't recognize every command. So the command "rm in line 17" isn't known by the shell. I'm very desperate about this :(

Can anybody help me?

We would like to get, a version of Mac OS X running on our ESXi 5.0 host servers, we currently have many Mini Macs, but because of overhead of management, and the fact that they are very stealable, they are currently locked in the datacentre, and access is provided by VNC.

We would much rather, have virtual machine versions running on ESXi 5.0, and the fact we have real hardware, are "comfortable with the breach of license" at present.

We have Dell Poweredge 2950 and R710s, with the unlocked patch applied, but still fails to install. We have a Snow Leopard DMG, which we have converted to ISO, this works perfect, and boots/installs on VMware Workstation 8.0 (with the unlocker patch - thanks).

Apple Mac OS X 10.6 (64 bit) has been selected as the VM Template.

Processors in Physical Servers are Intel Xeon L5335 and X5560. Plenty of RAM, Plenty of hard disk storage.

But when booting the ISO, I get the grey screen, and spinning wheel, which I believe from googling is a non-starter!

If I select EFI Internal Shell (unsupported options)...

fs0:

\usr\standalone\i386\boot -v

I guess, the VM is booting from the cdrom, until....

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSRData - _CST evaluation failed

I'm not sure if the above is correct and preventing installation?

I've also tried

‘boot -v npci=0×2000′

Any ideas, would be very welcome, thanks (and great unlock!)

I've also converted my DMG using TransMac (not sure if this works) to a 16GB USB flash drive, and connected to the VM, at BOOT, the Boot Manager detects the USB because I have USB in the list, but it does not boot from USB.

Maybe the DMG conversion to USB was incorrect? Ideas....I do have macs at my disposal, but have failed to create a dmg to usb boot disk.

• Like 1

So while I've been able to install 10.7 onto ESXi without issues, I cannot get 10.8 installed. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to do this? I've done a ton of research but unable to find a solution as of yet. I see some people have had success with a 'USB' install, what does this mean exactly?

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I have been following this topic for a while and trying to do it myself and have been running into some issues.

Current Setup:

Dell 755 C2D 4 gig of RAM

ESXi 5.0.0 623860

I recently spun up this machine, applied all patches and installed 1.1.0.

I uploaded my Lion ISO (not sure if it needs to be DMG or not)

Created a new VM (10.7 x64, 3 gigs of RAM and attached the ISO I uploaded)

When I start the machine however, it says "Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware ESX supports hardware virtualization. " I have flipped through the Dell BIOS and have made sure that Virtualization has been turned on. I have even tested with a Windows 7 ISO to make sure that I can actually boot to a VM and it works without issue.

What do I need to do here to resolve this one? I don't mind going back and wiping the drive and not putting patches on it. Just curious, thanks for your help, this is a really awesome project!

Hey everyone, I have been following this topic for a while and trying to do it myself and have been running into some issues.

Current Setup:

Dell 755 C2D 4 gig of RAM

ESXi 5.0.0 623860

I recently spun up this machine, applied all patches and installed 1.1.0.

I uploaded my Lion ISO (not sure if it needs to be DMG or not)

Created a new VM (10.7 x64, 3 gigs of RAM and attached the ISO I uploaded)

When I start the machine however, it says "Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware ESX supports hardware virtualization. " I have flipped through the Dell BIOS and have made sure that Virtualization has been turned on. I have even tested with a Windows 7 ISO to make sure that I can actually boot to a VM and it works without issue.

What do I need to do here to resolve this one? I don't mind going back and wiping the drive and not putting patches on it. Just curious, thanks for your help, this is a really awesome project!

I got a Dell 745 C2d with 4 Gigs of RAM and installed the base 5.0.0 469512 with patches and rebooted. This get's me further, I am able to boot, but it is frozen at the gray apple logo (no spinning pinwheel). (The BIOS is configured for VM's, not sure if that was something wrong with the 755 BIOS).

[i work in an IT dept and have some hardware on hand :wink2: ]

Last post before going home. I switched to a SCSI drive and put a physical CD in the tray (Snow Leopard is all I have currently, waiting on my Lion disk) and I added the FakeSMC.Kext in the vmx file and this seems to boot rather quickly. I'm not sure if it is because of the SCSI switch or the fakeSMC but I am letting it drop the OS tonight and will pick it back up tomorrow.

Perhaps it was my ISO of Lion that was doing it, which if someone has a clean way of converting a DMG to ISO that works, or if vSphere can mount and use the DMG then I am good there too. Thanks everyone!

Back on it this morning, It appeared to install fine overnight and the console view is working, showing me the Welcome screen. At this point I think I am good - BUT the keyboard and mouse do not work. Any tricks?

I am hoping to try Lion or ML today and see if there are better results!

Edit:

It looks like the machine was just locked up from sitting all night, a reboot fixed the issue here.

Edited by mattpayerle

Hello everyone,

First, this Unlocker is awesome!!!! (thank you to all contributors)

was simply wondering if any one had attempted to (either) uninstall the patch, update ESXi 5 to latest build, then re apply the patch, OR simply update ESXi to latest patch and report no issues?

I am currently at build 721882, and the Unlocker patch works well, but I may need to update the host to fix a few issues with VMWareTools (and other)

Thanks in advance!

:star_sunglasses:

Hey Batmacc,

I had some success with this. My testing steps were: Install Unlocker, test (works), Update patches, reboot, uninstall patcher, reboot, install unlocker, reboot, test (successful). Those steps worked for me without fail, not sure if it falls in line with what you are doing.

Also, some side notes to my previous posts last week. I successfully have all three OS's (SL, Lion, ML) On my ESXi 5 box and all updated without issue.

I did find that I had to use the physical DVD for all of them rather than an ISO.

The only modification I made on each one of them was set the smc.present = "FALSE" on each vmx and then attached the physical SCSI and physical DVD and it would boot just fine and then I could install from there and boot normally after.

If anyone has any fixes for why it won't boot from ISO that would be great. Although, I'm not entirely sure that the ISO was correctly created, so if anyone has some simple steps to verify the ISO creation or how you create your ISO's that would be awesome!

Great work on the Patcher once again!

SL-Lion-ML.PNG

• Like 1

hey mattpayerle,

this worked for me :

The ISO image must be created from the Lion ‘InstallESD.dmg’ (you can open package contents and browse to the "ESD.dmg located in /Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg.) Using terminal on Mac OS: hdiutil convert InstallESD.dmg -format UDTO -o InstallESD.iso. This will result in a .cdr file (.iso.cdr). You simply remove the ".cdr" and keep the ".iso" I then copied the .iso to a "local" storage on my ESXi box, and pointed the installer to the iso...

hey mattpayerle,

this worked for me :

The ISO image must be created from the Lion ‘InstallESD.dmg’ (you can open package contents and browse to the "ESD.dmg located in /Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg.) Using terminal on Mac OS: hdiutil convert InstallESD.dmg -format UDTO -o InstallESD.iso. This will result in a .cdr file (.iso.cdr). You simply remove the ".cdr" and keep the ".iso" I then copied the .iso to a "local" storage on my ESXi box, and pointed the installer to the iso...

I rebuilt all of my ISO's using this method to double check, and each time the system boots it hangs at the halt sign and spinning pinwheel presumably waiting for root device. Any advice?

hmmm... and if you edit settings on the guest, you double checked settings there? "CD/DVD Drive points to ISO with "connect at power on ?

I have seen this issue before where you had to make a change in the EFI. have you tried to boot with the verbose option? if you do that we could see where it hangs... you may need to "force EFI setup on next boot" and modify the boot manager.

here is an example:

On the shell type ‘boot -v npci=0×2000′ and hit enter

hmmm... and if you edit settings on the guest, you double checked settings there? "CD/DVD Drive points to ISO with "connect at power on ?

I have seen this issue before where you had to make a change in the EFI. have you tried to boot with the verbose option? if you do that we could see where it hangs... you may need to "force EFI setup on next boot" and modify the boot manager.

here is an example:

On the shell type ‘boot -v npci=0×2000′ and hit enter

Ok, got that line added into the boot option.

ML%20Test.png

• Like 1

I have seen this occasionally when the IDE controller is unsupported. What "mode" is the IDE Controller in? (Passthrough or Emulate IDE?) (again in the edit settings...)

Currently CD/DVD drive 1 is in Emulate IDE (it isn't the recommended but is grayed out). Is it something I can edit in the VMX through putty?

Currently CD/DVD drive 1 is in Emulate IDE (it isn't the recommended but is grayed out). Is it something I can edit in the VMX through putty?

I have not had to modify the VMX, so someone else may need to help in that case... that said, does your CPU and motherboard support VT-D ? some people with a very similar issue used an external USB CD/DVD in passthrough mode...

I have not had to modify the VMX, so someone else may need to help in that case... that said, does your CPU and motherboard support VT-D ? some people with a very similar issue used an external USB CD/DVD in passthrough mode...

Well I would think that it does. Funny thing here is if I download an ISO from ubuntu's site or something it boots without issue to that ISO. So my guess now is the creation of the ISO itself. I followed your steps above with no issues, is there another switch I could add in there?

hello all

a have esxi 5.0.0 768111 unlocked via unlocker 110

CPU i7 2600 and 32gb ram

I try to install VM with macos 10.8 with help of iso file which was created via "hdiutil convert InstallESD.dmg -format UDTO -o InstallESD.iso"

but I get the same error as on screenshot above - Still waiting for root device..

CD/DVD drive also in Emulate IDE mode and grayed out..

is there any chance to get rid from this error ?