[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Marius, do you have Windows Installed as well? Try booting in Windows to see if the card works there, if it does, reboot to OS X but with the card being active. The LED will never light up on OS X despite the card state, it's just not implemented in the HID and i don't find it such a major thing to waste time on getting it to work.

I think i will take this stupid Dell Wireless 1701 and breat it into peaces.

- "original" IO80211Family after clean install: not working

- tried the atheros rollback from lx02 package: not working

- ARBCM57780: not working

- Atheros AR5B95: not working

After installing each kext i mentioned above, repairing permissions and rebuilding cache, reboot, i checked with kext wizard if IO802 was loaded but it was not.

I guess i will just give up on this, it is strange that you say that you also tried this model of card and it worked native, what i noticed lately about Dell is that things they build are not so "standard" anymore.

10x for all the help doix :)

I must have linked the wrong post. Here's the direct link https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16173714/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext_108.zip 196 version.

@Marius, i said i use a card with the same chipset, Atheros AR5B95 which is working out of the box with lion. I have no idea what brand it has since i bought it from okazii. It's a half-width format, it could be that your card is newer and has a diff ID that's not included in the kext.

Try to get the ID for it using System Info [ System Info, an app to get hardware and kexts info ] post it here and we'll see from there.

P.S Mine is 168c:002a - the first part is the vendor ID, the second is the device ID.

@Doix, sry memory seams to play tricks on me :)

So, this is ID: 14e4:4727

Dunno if this is right or wrong but,

I ckecked in System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros21.kext/Contents/info.plist - ID not present

I ckecked in System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/info.plist - ID not present

I ckecked in System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4331.kext/Contents/info.plist - ID not present / tried adding it here, didn't work

I ckecked in System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext/Contents/info.plist - ID not present / tried adding it here, didn't work

( i ran kext wizard before restarting)

Edited by Cisar Alexandru Marius

A quick "gogu" search reveals it's actually a broadcom chipset not an Atheros, BCM4313 More research reveals the card isn't really working on OS X.

Check this: #2 & http://www.insanelym...howtopic=247900

It's best to just replace the card with a compatible one, like the card you initially said. I payed for mine 35ron, but i did have to hunt for it... not many people sell them.

Oh, i took the liberty and compiled a DSDT with what Slice suggested in the second thread.

Redownload: The first had an error in the code. http://dl.getdropbox...3714/marius.zip Give it a try.. maybe you'll get lucky.

Sorry for some off topic info, anyway have fun.

Micro 8 RTM 64 Bit:

Release Notes:

As everyone know, its an enterprise edition without windows media player.

Regarding os info the iso file size weighs at 1.59 GB and Full installation consumes 3.91 GB

Stripped down manually using Win 7 toolkit.

No Tweaking just a plain vanilla install from Microsoft.

Removed some junk from the system such as windows defender, recovery. speech, powershell, East Asian inputs (IME) and Winsxs.

Most of the drivers has been removed

Includes Windows Update ( For the sake of installing drivers )

http://www.mediafire...krcfbnfa1zgvf16 ( Part 1 )

http://www.mediafire...z34q2rz73sfddwz ( Part 2 )

http://www.mediafire...5bf458xxww6wsnc ( Part 3 )

http://www.mediafire...24y0258xfce36aq ( Part 4 )

http://www.mediafire...jhye76u5zs7l2aw ( Part 5 )

http://www.mediafire...3zm0q6o6smka4r3 ( Part 6 )

http://www.mediafire...vbwqs9bli6aij78 ( Part 7 )

http://www.mediafire...1916m95l8rrq4gi ( Part 8 )

Hmm thanks. I have installed windows 8 preview. Actually i do tri-boot with windows 7, windows 8 and mac os lion. Windows 8 is just too damn fast. Its so much faster than windows 7

Hello Everyone,

Micro OS X 10.7.4 dmg file weighs 1.69 GB and installation consumes 2.4 GB of ur hard disk space, actually i aimed to fit the installation to a 2 GB usb drive but i couldn't succeed. Hopefully in the future releases, apple might reduce their os footprint.

Micro OS X 10.7.4:

Release Notes

I haven't touched frameworks, so the os should be stable without any dependency breaks. I have removed many apps from applications folder but their frameworks are still there, so if u want any stock apple apps, for example address book, ical, face time etc just copy them back in applications folder and they should work.

Secondly this distribution is made for our xps laptops, so just have a hassle free installation,restore the image to an USB drive or hard disk partition and install chameleon boot loader and ur ready to go.

Note:

The Files included in this image are DSDT ( XPS 17 A.12 ), SSDT's( i7 2630 QM), org.chameleon.Boot.plist ( by default bus ratio is 20, screen resolution is 1920x1080, please change it accordingly) and smbios.plist ( Macbook Pro 8.3). Please replace ur system specific files using transmac app on Windows or from Mac just restore the image and then make any necessary changes.

Features Removed:

1. Except English almost all Fonts has been removed.

2. Speech has been removed.

3. Dictionaries removed

4. Help ( voice over as well)

5. input methods other than English

6. iTunes has been removed but as i said before framework is still there so if u require iTunes just hit software update, download and install.

7. Printer & Scanners drivers and existing software has been removed but printer & scanner support is intact.

8. Screen savers, Desktop picture, User pictures and also dashboard widgets has been removed.

9. spelling has also been removed.

10. All fancy apps such as launchpad etc have been removed.

http://www.mediafire.../?76ac276wex7no

I will be looking for some feedback from u guys.

cheers

Hi, finally decided to upgrade to ML... as usual fell at the first hurdle!! :wallbash:

Following the new guide, simple method, I purchased and downloaded ML from app store.. Right clicked on it, show package contents etc... double clicked installESD.dmg ran the Osx86 RetailDisk KitGen v1.1.app selected the os retail image from the extracted installESD.dmg.. but I get an error message:

hdiutil: attach failed - not recognised

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? not done anything hackintosh wise for a few months now, took me ages to catch up on the thread :wacko:

Gaz

Hmm, i think it's a permission problem. Open InstallESD.dmg with Disk Utility then convert the image like this.

post-167221-0-82185100-1344293078_thumb.png

Then try the app.

Or you could copy the InstallESD.dmg from inside the Install.app to someother place, but personally i'd go for the first option.

Well i feel Windows 8 going to be a huge hit even after that annoying Metro ui or what ever Windows 8 UI, its way better than Windows 7 in memory resource management, its not a resource hogger, it is consuming 755 MB on a 8 GB XPS machine, where in comparison Windows 7 used to consume around 1GB after stripping down it features and tweaking to the core.

In windows just stop few services using services.msc and bam shows it power.

i Guess Mountain Lion has to climb a huge Mountain if it wants get any close to Windows 8 memory consumption.

post-197843-0-08954700-1344305929_thumb.png

I promise however that when i'm done with the exam, i'll irelease/compile/develop the full free and opensource alternative to tonymac's packages.

That would be a dream come true! I would give everybody able to do that everything I can as an administrator.

Hmm, i think it's a permission problem. Open InstallESD.dmg with Disk Utility then convert the image like this.

post-167221-0-82185100-1344293078_thumb.png

Then try the app.

Or you could copy the InstallESD.dmg from inside the Install.app to someother place, but personally i'd go for the first option.

Thanks DoiX, but still can't get it to work. I think I got the original error as I was trying to load the ML.app into your app, oops, realised it was the InstallESD.dmg i should have been loading.. Anyway it gets to the point of asking where the new image should be saved, then comes up: Phase 2/4: Converting Image to a read write format. This may take a couple of minutes! Click on ok but I now get this error message:

kitgen.jpg

Not sure why 2 progress bars are in the pic above!

Ive tried the method you said of going through disk utility first, that converts it to read/write, but still doesn't work in the app.

That would be a dream come true! I would give everybody able to do that everything I can as an administrator.

Hey, i'm already working on it. I've developed a boot CD based on Enoch (need testers), and i started working yesterday on the packages :)

@burrows, i'm not sure, but i think it's not compatible with Lion? I'll try it later, until then, you have to follow pcwiz' instructions and manually do that.

@macky, i'm not sure but i remember reading somewhere that hackintoshes use more memory than real macs, the most obvious evidence, according to that article, would be the kernel_task memory alocation in Activity Monitor

You can free up memory writing "purge" in the terminal. You may need XCode installed, not sure.

• Like 1

@burrows, i tested it on Lion. It's working... i guess you either had some images mounted or a file with the same name in the location you selected to create the new one...

In order to keep one package for both OS versions and keep it light weight i had to modify the DSDT so the Audio Kexts will be compatible with both systems. So, if you use this package to install Audio kexts on Lion/ML then you must install the DSDT too (first install only)

The package although being named Mountain Lion is still backward compatible with Lion!

Please Install the battery kext in a different session! (separately)

Lx02X - Mountain Lion V1.4

- DOWNLOAD HERE -

Changelog-V1.4:

- rebuilt using Packages by Stephane Sudre because Apple's PackageMaker is bad, and they should feel bad about it!

Changelog-V1.3:

- now fully compatible with Lion & ML

- modified Audio kexts to be compatible with both OS'

- added patched IOAHCIFamily to fix waiting for root device error

- updated DSDTs

- modified ACPI Table script to backup DSDT/SSDT files when installing new ones, same goes for Boot.plist

- included Aergia.app

- included WMI Kext to fix missing brightness FN functionality thanks to 04152viki for providing the fix and the AppleLife.ru guys

- fixed the kernel panic caused by installing battery kexts

One more thing, [ML] AppleHDA = patched applehda kexts from 10.8, which breaks sound after wake. I'll release a separate script to fix that using sleepwatch.

Edited by DoiX
  • Like 1