[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

OK I used this:

-v npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No darkwake=0 busratio=20 PCIRootUID=1

This got me past the "still waiting for root device" error, but now I am stuck at:

FakeSMC: key not found BEMB, length - 1

Any ideas?

I have exactly the same problem. With other distros I have been able to boot into the installation window, but following the guide posted a few pages back, I still get the "waiting for root device error" when booting off the USB.

I followed the details from @Alex above, but the same has occured.

Is this:

a) a problem with the fakesmc.kext (I used the v2.5 mentioned in the guide)

B) a problem with the ML AHCI kext?

This is very frustrating as others appear to have got this working with no problems. The best I can do at present is boot into WIndows 8CP and then use a 10.8 VM - but this is by no mean satisfactory :-(

AMH.

FakeSMC does not create the waiting for root device error.

"ML AHCI kext?" this is more likely. But it should not happen if you boot with UseKernelCache=No and if you still have the stock hdd. If you by chance changed the stock HDD to another model/faster or an SSD then it's possible that this is the problem ( bcc9 explained the problem here #22 ). The bios could also be a problem, did you format the stick GUID or MBR?

If memory serves restoring the image to the stick automatically creates GUID, maybe you should try manually copying the contents (after you made the hidden files visible) then install chameleon on it.

Hello @Doix

1) Stock HDD - 500Gb (Seagate I think)

2) I formatted the stick as MBR - the guide was clear on this

3) So I need to have two sticks in order to copy the contents of one to the other. I have to admit that I have not checked that the stick is MBR after restoring the image, I just assumed that was the case. I'll check when I get home and then report back.

At least I still have a working Lion install.

AMH.

P.S. My long term aim is to dual boot W8 CP and MLion - then I'll change my signature!

Im dual booting W7 and ML without problems. If you still have Lion then i guess you could install ML directly from Lion onto another partition(if you have one, even a 15gb one), if the installer won't boot surely the installed OS will.

To install ML from lion onto another partition you must navigate to the usb stick/image > System/Library/Installation/Packages/OSinstall.mpkg, open it and install just like any other app. Don't forget to choose the right partition.

If you don't have another free partition you could try installing Lion on the USB stick, then boot using it and install ML from it on the HDD partition. (you may need to delete several applications to fit your usb stick - mine was 8gb)

FakeSMC does not create the waiting for root device error.

"ML AHCI kext?" this is more likely. But it should not happen if you boot with UseKernelCache=No and if you still have the stock hdd. If you by chance changed the stock HDD to another model/faster or an SSD then it's possible that this is the problem ( bcc9 explained the problem here #22 ). The bios could also be a problem, did you format the stick GUID or MBR?

If memory serves restoring the image to the stick automatically creates GUID, maybe you should try manually copying the contents (after you made the hidden files visible) then install chameleon on it.

Well it got beyond the still waiting for root device problem with those boot options , now stuck on the fakeSMC line.

Oops, sorry, i kinda fused two answers in one. FakeSMC error isn't telling me much, did you see in the verbose screen "DSMOS has arrived" ? if not, thats the real problem. Try booting with DSDT=Null as an extra flag maybe you'll get lucky.

Sorry @Doix - nothing has worked.

My thoughts are:

1) The InstallESD.dmg might be defective in some way - might try to download it again.

2) Maybe the problem is with the USB stick? This is unlikely as a previous image of ML install on this stick did boot all the way through to allow a full install.

There must be something wrong in the way that I "made" the H/tosh USB bootable stick.

Back to the drawing board then.......

AMH

P.S. DSMOS never arrives - there must be something wrong with the install files?

Oops, sorry, i kinda fused two answers in one. FakeSMC error isn't telling me much, did you see in the verbose screen "DSMOS has arrived" ? if not, thats the real problem. Try booting with DSDT=Null as an extra flag maybe you'll get lucky.

"DSMOS has arrived" does display. Something with the video? Also tried DSDT=Null and it still stuck in the same place.

Then it means FakeSMC did its job. Video is the next possible problem but afaik the installer doesn't even load the graphic kexts so that shouldn't be the problem. Anyway copy your working Extra folder to the usb stick.

Another thing you could try is to repair the permissions of the installer using Lion > Disk Utility...

It's downloading a zip file that contains fakesmc, nullcpu, appleps2controller, chameleon bootloader (enoch) and the OSInstall patches for MBR, nothing harmful. It's designed to be fast.

You can check for yourself the zip here resources.zip

Proper SMBIOS and efi string... if you're still using chameleon and have Lion on another partition, just copy the Extra folder to your ML install.

If you've done that, and you still get the same screen, it means you're probably not using the Nvidia OFF DSDT, so you have to remove NVDAGF100HAL.kext and NVDAGK100HAL.kext because they mess with your system if the nvidia card is detected.

Hey DoiX,

I have the following doubts, can you please help me out?

My machine spec is L502x with 2670QM+8GB+FHD on Mountain Lion

1. Does replacing AppleACPIPlatform from 10.7.4 adversely affects the performance of 10.8? (As i have done the same to be able to use the Battery kext)

2. What abt AICPUPM for 10.8, can you point me to any guide for patching 10.8s AICPUPM kext or any downloads?

Thanks

Sorry for some off topic info, anyway have fun.

Micro 8 RTM 64 Bit:

Release Notes:

As everyone know, its an enterprise edition without windows media player.

Regarding os info the iso file size weighs at 1.59 GB and Full installation consumes 3.91 GB

Stripped down manually using Win 7 toolkit.

No Tweaking just a plain vanilla install from Microsoft.

Removed some junk from the system such as windows defender, recovery. speech, powershell, East Asian inputs (IME) and Winsxs.

Most of the drivers has been removed

Includes Windows Update ( For the sake of installing drivers )

http://www.mediafire...krcfbnfa1zgvf16 ( Part 1 )

http://www.mediafire...z34q2rz73sfddwz ( Part 2 )

http://www.mediafire...5bf458xxww6wsnc ( Part 3 )

http://www.mediafire...24y0258xfce36aq ( Part 4 )

http://www.mediafire...jhye76u5zs7l2aw ( Part 5 )

http://www.mediafire...3zm0q6o6smka4r3 ( Part 6 )

http://www.mediafire...vbwqs9bli6aij78 ( Part 7 )

http://www.mediafire...1916m95l8rrq4gi ( Part 8 )

10x for the reply's guys.

I had time today to make a clean install of 10.7.2 (using iAtkos L2) and got all working besides the annoying wifi. I have 10.7.2 right now, i didn't update yet.

From what doix said it should work native but it just doesn't activate. I installed it on the main slot instead of the original card, i press FN + F2 but the only thing that happens is the bluetooth disables/enables but not the wifi. The wifi LED is also off and doesn't turn on when i press FN + F2. booting up with -v i see that the mac address of the wifi get's loaded.

Also one little problem is if i close the lid and open it again the usb ports die, would updating to 10.7.4 fix this?