[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@markaman, thanks for reporting the link. DOWNLOAD HERE here's the correct one.

Yep, you can restore it to a SD card, as long as you got a working card reader.

A working SD card reader, you mean an external one right? The one built into our laptops does not work for booting as far as i experienced?

@birdi, mount -uw /diskXsX should be enough to read/write. I think it's better to boot using -s and type there /sbin/mount -uw / and cp -R /path-of-kext-from-installer /Volumes/Name-of-disk-where-osx-is-installed/System/Library/Extensions/ then chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/HD/path to kext and chmod -R 755 /Same-thing.

@maxey, external yes. Personally i never got the internal one to work, although it does work for some people.

• Like 1

Ahmed... i don't understand what you mean. "Does not enter" "My Data 2 Nfts" how/where?

What did you do to break your install?

@Ahmed, you installed Lion or Mountain Lion? What method did you use?

@Alex DeWolf, did you install ML GM or some DP? Internal HDD or external?

Hello all,

I did a clean install of Lion 10.7.2 (using iatkos) then booted with rbootLE with these options: -v GraphicsEnabler=No busration=20. After this i installed doix's 1.1 pack and then rebooter, but it just won't boot up anymore (not even with rbootLE). I get this error when booting w/o rbootLE: panic(cpu 0 caller 0x673ec1): "Unable to find driver for this device: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1699.24.8/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1504

With rbootLE same error + "can't perform kext scan: no kext summary"

Strangely i installed 10.7.2 at least 4 times and it worked. Now i tried 2 times to do a clean install and i get the same errors.

I googled around and found no solution, most people rezolved this by reinstalling but i get the same after reinstalling.

• Like 1

Hello all,

I did a clean install of Lion 10.7.2 (using iatkos) then booted with rbootLE with these options: -v GraphicsEnabler=No busration=20. After this i installed doix's 1.1 pack and then rebooter, but it just won't boot up anymore (not even with rbootLE). I get this error when booting w/o rbootLE: panic(cpu 0 caller 0x673ec1): "Unable to find driver for this device: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1699.24.8/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1504

With rbootLE same error + "can't perform kext scan: no kext summary"

Strangely i installed 10.7.2 at least 4 times and it worked. Now i tried 2 times to do a clean install and i get the same errors.

I googled around and found no solution, most people rezolved this by reinstalling but i get the same after reinstalling.

Boot with windows 7 dvd and do a clean format of the partition where Lion is installed. Then install again with iAktos lion

@Cisar, salut

I have the same card installed. It works out of the box if you're on Lion 10.7.2 or Mountain Lion GM. For lion 10.7.3 and above you need to rollback the IONetworkFamily kext (as stated in the install tutorial on page 6 or 11 (depending on your view). Remove whatever kext you installed, make sure the card is installed in the first PCI slot (instead of the original card) and don't forget to use the FN+F2 key to activate it.

@Maxey, It's possible to install it on a SSD without problems. I don't know about backing up... personally i just moved all important informations to another partition. I read that some users managed to update directly from lion to ML... best search the forums for this.

Hey sorry to bother you again, but is there any requirements for the SSD exactly?

I mean do i need a special model or something?

I was thinking about getting the Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB 2.5zoll MLC SATA600.

It would just be placed where the DVD Drive is now located right?

^ any Sata SSD drive will work, I swapped the drive in my laptop, i suggest replacing the internal with the SSD for best speeds.

If you replace the DVD drive with a SSD you will need a caddy/adapter, I get a feeling these caddy's reduce transfer speeds (I could be completely wrong here, someone please correct me if I am)

I have a 64gb SSD as my primary internal HD with OSX on it as my main OS.

In the caddy is my original 750gb HD.

1-250gb OSX "backup" for testing

1-250gb Windows 7

1-250gb "Data" partition for storage

• Like 1

@Alex DeWolf, did you install ML GM or some DP? Internal HDD or external?

I have iaktos 10.7.2->10.7.4 installed on internal HD. I am having trouble booting up on the USB thumb drive to install ML.

Boot with -v GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1

Did not work. The existing Lion install was done from DVD. I wonder if the USB ports are the problem here. No matter which USB port I try it ends up timing out.

It's the usb. I can't tell you how to fix it because it's random on my system... at first it didn't want to boot from the usb at all, after some reboots it just worked. You could try (re)installing chameleon on the stick and see if that works.

@Cisar, you installed the battery kext, didn't you? It's bugged (the installer v1.1, bug seems to be present on 1.2 as well) easiest way is to reinstall lion and to avoid installing the battery kexts via the installer. Best to manually do that. I also recommend getting v1.2 because it fixes a package problem.

^ any Sata SSD drive will work, I swapped the drive in my laptop, i suggest replacing the internal with the SSD for best speeds.

If you replace the DVD drive with a SSD you will need a caddy/adapter, I get a feeling these caddy's reduce transfer speeds (I could be completely wrong here, someone please correct me if I am)

I have a 64gb SSD as my primary internal HD with OSX on it as my main OS.

In the caddy is my original 750gb HD.

1-250gb OSX "backup" for testing

1-250gb Windows 7

1-250gb "Data" partition for storage

Huh i dont see how a caddy could affect the speed? Think i will go with that one.

Is connecting it to the XPS hard?

Thanks for your help!

Huh i dont see how a caddy could affect the speed? Think i will go with that one.

Is connecting it to the XPS hard?

Thanks for your help!

I don't know if it can or not, essentially I guess it's just a data cable,so it shouldn't make a difference. I just remember looking at caddys and getting paranoid about data transfer speeds, they all claim something different.

But to answer your question, it is very simple to replace the DVD drive with the caddy, pretty much just a couple screws, pop out the DVD drive, swap the cover, and pop in the caddy. Piece of cake.

Now swapping the internal is a different story, it's fairly straight forward, there are several videos out there, just go slow and take your time.

• Like 1

It's the usb. I can't tell you how to fix it because it's random on my system... at first it didn't want to boot from the usb at all, after some reboots it just worked. You could try (re)installing chameleon on the stick and see if that works. .

Will do, thanks!

I don't know if it can or not, essentially I guess it's just a data cable,so it shouldn't make a difference. I just remember looking at caddys and getting paranoid about data transfer speeds, they all claim something different. But to answer your question, it is very simple to replace the DVD drive with the caddy, pretty much just a couple screws, pop out the DVD drive, swap the cover, and pop in the caddy. Piece of cake. Now swapping the internal is a different story, it's fairly straight forward, there are several videos out there, just go slow and take your time.

Thank you very much! Will try to look for a video, however as i not intend to swap the internal just additionally have the SSD connected i should just look out for the right place to connect the data cable i guess.

Now the only thing to figure out is which SSD, as i read for some models the heat they generate is not sooo little :)

I have the problem ACPI_SMC_PLATFORMPlugin timed out and another message says :

transcript offline - Buffer pool allocate [181000] failed.

I replied to this already, it's a normal error on hackintosh. As for the AGPM controller, it does squat unless you somehow got the nvidia card to work.

Please, don't ask the same questions over and over again, this thread is getting filled with duplicates. Use the search option...