[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2995 replies to this topic

Kirky

Kirky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Filming & Editing!
Has anyone had any luck with a working audio solution in Lion on the Dell XPS 15 L502?

I've got 10.7.1 installed but whenever I use an AppleHDA.kext driver the system locks up on reboot. I've tried various AppleHDA.kext drivers, even the 10.6.2 rollback driver locks up on boot? This is odd as it works perfectly on my Gigabyte X58A-UDR3 tower system???

crdnilfan

crdnilfan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
With the recent release of Chimera 1.5
http://tonymacx86.bl...ge-hd-3000.html
which adds Intel HD 3000 onboard graphics support, will this help us out for easier full graphics acceleration? (Minus the nVidia GPU of course).

one9092002

one9092002

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:hackintosh,networking,programming graphic design,video editing

Has anyone had any luck with a working audio solution in Lion on the Dell XPS 15 L502?

I've got 10.7.1 installed but whenever I use an AppleHDA.kext driver the system locks up on reboot. I've tried various AppleHDA.kext drivers, even the 10.6.2 rollback driver locks up on boot? This is odd as it works perfectly on my Gigabyte X58A-UDR3 tower system???

can you tell me what steps you took to update to 10.7.1?

Kirky

Kirky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

can you tell me what steps you took to update to 10.7.1?

Installing the 10.7.1 update was very easy, I just installed using Apple's Software Update and rebooted :blink: . I usually download the combo update, but didn't need to with the 10.7.1 update on the Dell L502

AUDIO - I've had limited success with the VoodooHDA 0.2.72 kext within #####. I can get audio working, but it seems to have a large amount of gain and hiss, this can be corrected in the VoodooHDA prefplane in System Preferences but then the audio stops working properly?

mmvie

mmvie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Not to bad. But their seems to be a Problem with the Intel HD 3000 Graphics, works out of the box with QE/CI but the Screen is all green and have interlacing Lines and is far to wide. I read other Laptop Users with other Model from other brands but with Intel HD 3000 have the same Problem. USB Works, Keyboard Works, Touchpad Works, Bluetooth works, Ethernet works. No Sound and QE/CI yet ( when i delete SNB Framebuffer kext, Intel HD 3000 will not get regoqnised, Resolution is 1024x768 but colors etc are fine)

I don't know if it is fixed in the meantime, but this DSDT correction worked for me: http://tonymacx86.co...hp?f=15&t=28851
No need to delete AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext at all..

Good luck ;)

ps: this DSDT correction is also needed with the new Chimera that's posted a few posts earlier (at least for me it is)

one9092002

one9092002

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I don't know if it is fixed in the meantime, but this DSDT correction worked for me: http://tonymacx86.co...hp?f=15&t=28851
No need to delete AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext at all..

Good luck :D

ps: this DSDT correction is also needed with the new Chimera that's posted a few posts earlier (at least for me it is)

can you post the dsdt file? and give me directions what you did please

Kirky

Kirky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
WORKING BATTERY STATUS METER READING IN LION 10.7.1

This VoodooBattery kext worked for me to get the Dell battery reading correctly in Lion. Just install both files and repair permissions.

Attached Files

one9092002

one9092002

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

WORKING BATTERY STATUS METER READING IN LION 10.7.1

This VoodooBattery kext worked for me to get the Dell battery reading correctly in Lion. Just install both files and repair permissions.

where do i install in the extra or system/library/extensions?

Kirky

Kirky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

where do i install in the extra or system/library/extensions?

Whatever works best for you. Just remember to repair permissions before you reboot!

If you install any kexts in the /Extra folder then repair permissions you can always get back into the operating system with your boot CD/USB Stick if your system KP's on reboot. The files in /Extra also override the files in the S/L/E folder as far as I'm aware, so that when Apple releases a new update you would never have your files overwritten if they are in /Extra.

If you install in S/L/E and your system KP's on reboot, you might not be able to get back into the system via a boot disc, you would need to remove your harddrive and plug into another Mac system to delete the defective kext in S/L/E, then plug back into the laptop.

Thats my experience anyway!

bryan Rowe

bryan Rowe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Whatever works best for you. Just remember to repair permissions before you reboot!

If you install any kexts in the /Extra folder then repair permissions you can always get back into the operating system with your boot CD/USB Stick if your system KP's on reboot. The files in /Extra also override the files in the S/L/E folder as far as I'm aware, so that when Apple releases a new update you would never have your files overwritten if they are in /Extra.

If you install in S/L/E and your system KP's on reboot, you might not be able to get back into the system via a boot disc, you would need to remove your harddrive and plug into another Mac system to delete the defective kext in S/L/E, then plug back into the laptop.

Thats my experience anyway!

Is anyone using a usb wifi adapter? If so, which? I am having a hell of a trouble getting this one to work: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B003X26PMO despite the fact that others have been successful and it has an OSX installer on their website.

bastisk8

bastisk8

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Hey,

I see that there is some progress in getting 10.7 Lion to work properly with the Dell XPS l502x.

Yet, I find the different tutorials in this thread a bit confusing and would really appreciate if someone could gather all the valid information and create a guide for a fresh 10.7 install with all relevant Kexts and DSDT + information on how to proceed with future updates.

Since a new version of Chimera with full Intel 3000 support was released just now, shouldnt this help us to speed up the installation procedure a lot?

I am really looking forward to creating a fresh Lion installation on my XPS.

Kirky

Kirky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Hey,

I see that there is some progress in getting 10.7 Lion to work properly with the Dell XPS l502x.

Yet, I find the different tutorials in this thread a bit confusing and would really appreciate if someone could gather all the valid information and create a guide for a fresh 10.7 install with all relevant Kexts and DSDT + information on how to proceed with future updates.

Since a new version of Chimera with full Intel 3000 support was released just now, shouldnt this help us to speed up the installation procedure a lot?

I am really looking forward to creating a fresh Lion installation on my XPS.

A tutorial is fine, but we still can't get fully working audio yet? everything else works in Lion (except the Nivida card), but audio is still a big problem.

HOTcakes

HOTcakes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
and sleep to, unless someone got that working.

Alex DeWolf

Alex DeWolf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
Is there support for the Nvidia GPU? Is there GPU acceleration?

Kirky

Kirky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Is there support for the Nvidia GPU? Is there GPU acceleration?

No, Apple don't support the Nvidia 5xx cards in laptops. You have to use the Intel HD3000 graphics built on the processor. 8gb of ram assigns 512mb to the graphics, which isn't bad actually as I can edit on FCPX very fast with that at 1920x1080

meikrekel

meikrekel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't find a decent place where I can buy that dell wireless card, I live in Holland so I can't order it in America or something like that. Any Dutch people here who could PM me a link to that wireless card?

Alex DeWolf

Alex DeWolf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

No, Apple don't support the Nvidia 5xx cards in laptops. You have to use the Intel HD3000 graphics built on the processor. 8gb of ram assigns 512mb to the graphics, which isn't bad actually as I can edit on FCPX very fast with that at 1920x1080

Does the Nvidia GPU shutdown to save battery and reduce heat? If I have 6GB RAM how much ends up on the Intel GPU? How is the OpenGL/CL performance? Anyone try Steam on this yet?

Does 10.7 (Lion) support the Nvidia 5xx GPUs in laptops?

meikrekel

meikrekel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Does the Nvidia GPU shutdown to save battery and reduce heat? If I have 6GB RAM how much ends up on the Intel GPU? How is the OpenGL/CL performance? Anyone try Steam on this yet?

Does 10.7 (Lion) support the Nvidia 5xx GPUs in laptops?

Lion doesn't support the Nvidia 5xx GPU's, and I'm affraid they will never do this.

metamorphoise

metamorphoise

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi guys, I have the opportunity to pick one of these computers up cheap - just wanted to confirm one thing before I decide..

In Lion and with the Intel3000, does the external display (HDMI?) work flawlessly with projectors (800x600 resolution and higher), with no artifacting/lines?
For me this is more important than audio because I would be using the machine for live video performance.

Thanks,
Tom.

Kirky

Kirky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Hi guys, I have the opportunity to pick one of these computers up cheap - just wanted to confirm one thing before I decide..

In Lion and with the Intel3000, does the external display (HDMI?) work flawlessly with projectors (800x600 resolution and higher), with no artifacting/lines?
For me this is more important than audio because I would be using the machine for live video performance.

Thanks,
Tom.

NO, as the HDMI is connected internally to the Nvidia 540m card which isn't supported by Apple! Maybe think about getting a proper MacBookPro if you want HDMI working I'm afraid!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy