[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@ DoiX Don't wear yourself out. We appreciate your efforts though :D

Below are screenshots of my issue. I currently have three issues one, Audio isn't working. Two how do I delete the Voodoo icon out of Preferences? I deleted the kext in terminal and checked the extensions folder, its not there. Also, it seems to me that Windows 7 displays the screen at a much brighter setting. It doesn't seem nearly as bright on OS X. Thanks for your help as always!

@Everyone else, You can see proof that It is working on my l502x in the second to last attachment

post-298881-1319755653_thumb.png

post-298881-1319755665_thumb.png

post-298881-1319755685_thumb.png

post-298881-1319755695_thumb.png

post-298881-1319755897_thumb.jpg

Yeah I'd buy the Wireless card thats not a problem... If someone could get the GT 525M working as well i'd be happy to pay them!

Even if we can just only run the nVidia graphics over intel, i wouldn't mind that either although battery consumption would be shocking.

Thanks for all the hard work everyone!

Hi,

First of all thanks to everyone for the hard work thats gone into this, I like many really appreciate the hard work that you've gone to.

Ive not done anything like this for many years, slowly picking it up again..

Im slightly stuck on one thing of installing from the USB stick, I made the .dmg from my retail 10.6.3, restored it to a 16gb USB Stick, replaced the files listed. I loaded up [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy and selected the usb drive, typed in -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=23 (i5 Core) it starts loading up but then gets stuck at this point:

7f356131.jpg

Ive tried making numerous of usb sticks all the same result, so I took my small hard drive out of the laptop im using for this install (80gb) put it in my desktop and tried the process again and it worked? so the usb is fine.

It still displays the Realtek line when installing on my desktop of with the retail DVD on the laptop but flies past that point.

Can anybody shed any light of why its doing this?

After it got to the first restart I took the HD out of the desktop and put it back into my XPS and it finished off installing. Id like to be able to do the whole process from the XPS.

If I use the retail 10.6.3 dvd and install from that its fine, only seems to be on the USB stick in the laptop. Im using the usb drive on the left side of the laptop..

Hopefully I will carry on with the guide today

Gaz

@ DoiX Have you found the cause of our issues we were having?

@burrows: My friend your going about the whole process all wrong. You should look up DoiX's guide on page 6 (I'm viewing the forums in linear view) that way you can install lion directly. The preferred method to install iAtkos L1 is by burning a DVD since it avoids the complexity of any MBR patches and "waiting for root device errors" once you install iAtkos with the customize settings post back with your results or errors you have. I'll help web I can. I still plan on postin a guide if we can solve the abnormalities of the install process

@Dominusdj, i encountered pretty much every problem you had and the causes were mainly skipping the or mixing up steps.

1. Burn iAtkos to a dvd at 4x speed and rBOOT LE (LAPTOP EDITION) on a CD,

2. Boot iAtkos with

-v GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=23
or whatever your CPU busratio is, but please write these flags down corectly, to the letter, small or big!

3. At customize screen select like in the picture i posted in my tutorial.

4. After installing boot with rBOOT LE CD, -v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=23

5. Now you will most likely be inside OS X, open [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (version 4+) and install the following: post-167221-1319945636_thumb.png

6. Now boot without rBoot with -v GraphicsEnabler=No you should be able to boot without problems :) now you have to install the kexts from l502x pack.

@burrows1980 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1759951

I had success booting Lion from USB using rBOOT LE CD and connecting the stick in the USB2/ESATA hybrid port :)

@burrows: My friend your going about the whole process all wrong. You should look up DoiX's guide on page 6 (I'm viewing the forums in linear view) that way you can install lion directly. The preferred method to install iAtkos L1 is by burning a DVD since it avoids the complexity of any MBR patches and "waiting for root device errors" once you install iAtkos with the customize settings post back with your results or errors you have. I'll help web I can. I still plan on postin a guide if we can solve the abnormalities of the install process

Ah cheers for that ;) I hadnt read that far, didnt know there was a revised guide for SL... Still dont get why the USB will load on my desktop but not on the XPS, weird.

@DoiX, Thanks for the link, is it essential to use 10.6.7 or 10.6.8? I have the retail DVD for SL 10.6.3 but cant find anywhere 10.6.8 retail...

Also in step 5 of the guide it says about setting the HDD up as MBR but when I come to install it has a ! over the drive saying it needs to be GUID, each time ive installed SL ive had to put it as GUID, how do you get past this with MBR?

I currently just after a stable install on my 80gb HDD before finally installing to my 750GB windows 7 one. Im downloading copy of iAtkos L1 at the moment, will try and install that later..

Thanks for your help guys

Gaz

@Futuregator15. http://www.osx86.net/view/1065-latest_kext..._from_cvad.html

Delete cache, install kexts via Kext Wizard, when you get tasks are done go to Kext Utility and let it do its thing, then use the terminal command for manual kernel cache

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot normally, boot with UseKernelCache=Yes if you don't already have it set in boot.plist :)

After it boots go to system preferences and check sound. If at first it doesn't work, repeat it a couple of times.

@burrows, the whole point of getting 10.6.7/8 is to not manual update hence avoiding kernel panics, the reason why you are having problems booting from usb on XPS it's cause the right down s**** bios and the USB3. I don't think i know that ! GUID problem, are you updating it while in a functional OS X install? If so then that's the reason.

post-167221-1319984701_thumb.png

Click on options then check Master Boot Record

http://www.enik.ch/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/image26.png

@DoiX I tried the above method and it enabled sound, but broke the intel graphics. I did note one thing. I previously wasnt using the -z flag to manually crate the extensions.mkext. Any thoughts on what is the issue here?

Thanks for the help

@futuregator15, in terminal do kextstats and tell me if IntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext and IOGraphicsFamily.kext are loaded. Please try that command once with sound working and once with graphics working :D

P.S This is a screenshot of kextstat command on my XPS.

post-167221-1320072366_thumb.png

Edit: caused confusion.

Thanks for the help guys, but I cant seem to get iAtkos L1 to install at all, takes a while for it to get past the loading text screen, then when the mouse pointer appears a window pops up saying installation failed four boxes are shown shutdown restart view log and something else, it auto shuts down though before I can properly read the log or save it.. Tried various different flags at the boot screen, but still the same outcome. Although the screen res is better than on SL, looks much better shame I cant get to install it and have a play. I got iAtkos from TPB, dont know what version it is either. For now though im going to take a break from it, might try it again later on sometime..

For I forget, I tried the USB in the eSATA socket but still no joy, think my BIOS is A05 dont know if thats any different to yours.

Again thanks for the help that you gave me,

Gaz

Check out this iAtkos blog post and make sure you have the right version

Make sure your disk is partitioned using the MBR partition table

And personally I could never get iAtkos to even boot on a USB drive. I burned a DVD of it and it took forever to boot but it worked like a charm

@DoiX, I'll give it a try when I get home. Although your post says run that command when both graphics and audio are working. But the graphics aren't working anymore? I'm assuming that I need to check to see if one isn't loaded and of not delete kernel cache, reinstall the kext, use kext utility, the manually rebuild extensions.mkext

@Futuregator, nah not when both are working, one kextstat when audio is working, another kextstat when graphics are working and audio not :)

OR try this http://osx86.2xstudio.com/projects/L502x-Lion_v3.zip :P package that auto installs everything and creates the kernelcache file.

Edit: Updated to v3

Thanks for the reply DoiX. Below are the requested screenshots. It appears that both kexts are running. Weird. And AppleHDA is running as well.

I just installed my DW1510 wireless card and it works perfectly! Although I was very dissappointed that Dell didn't install an extra WWAN attenna so I could install the old card in the WWAN slot.

EDIT:

First off, NICE PACKAGE! lol

But sadly it reenabled graphics but disabled sound :D

For some reason they refuse to work together. Below is the updated kextstat screenshot.

POSSIBLE CAUSES:

1) I install the package and reboot. The system works without sound. I rebuild entensions.mkext and the graphics break but sound works. So the problem must lie in the extensions.mkext

2) I noticed that the dell XPS acl 665 driver isn't loaded when sound doesn't work. Bingo. Issue found?

post-298881-1320109356_thumb.png

post-298881-1320109367_thumb.png

post-298881-1320110099_thumb.png

Oh god damn it :D, i only have 2 more ideas:

1. Delete extension.mkext and kernelcache, repair disk permissions from disk utility, then run kext utility. Reboot.

2. Using kext wizard, drag and drop all kexts from extensions folder in "Installation" and check extensions.mkext on desktop, then move it in the cache folder.

I can't figure out what the conflicts are on your system with those files, there is another way of doing this, replace teh dell_xps_alc665.kext injector with DSDT modification. (DSDT>HDEF, replace the string there with your audio one - i'll post a tut tomorrow)

L502x Pack Updated. v2 - DSDT,SSDT,Applications now included.

Next Stop: Custom L502x Boot CD - faster booting with proper keyboard support and graphics!

I tried playing around in the DSDT editior.. Lets just say Im clueless and a little guidance would be great! lol As always, thanks for all your help

ALSO: I think it comes standard on all L502x laptops but I have the JBL speakers with "Waves MAXXAudio" but I think that part is just a software equalizer that comes with the speakers.

L502x Pack Updated. v2 - DSDT,SSDT,Applications now included.

Next Stop: Custom L502x Boot CD - faster booting with proper keyboard support and graphics!

Wow, that`s awesome! Does your pack also install speedstep automatically, since you added the SSDT or does it have to be done manually as you described in your tutorial?

@batisk8, SpeedStep still requires manual patching of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, but it does give you the option to install SSDT files :)

Edit: Package Update to version 3, now has patched AICPUPM.kext (10.7.2 & 10.7.1) no more manual patching.

Thanks a lot Doix you arte the best. Now work even with 10.7.2 but don't work:

audio

multitouch of trackpad

brightness with the hotkeys

and i don't see temperature detection

another question (stupid question) what I gain installing speedstep like 3 turbo states ? with 9 turbo can I damage cpu?

Thanks DoiX now I'm very happy ;)

@dominusdj, please read what i wrote in the tutorial about speedsteping 3TS and 9TS ;) and about trackpad and the rest, install them using the auto install package or by yourself using kext wizard :)

edit: fixed bug with v3, now it properly repairs permissions!