[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Alright so I think I got everything running except I can't get full graphics now. I installed the DSDT.aml to extra and repaired permissions and cache in kext wizard. I also tried to rename the DSDT to DSDT2 but that resulted in a kernal panic. I read in an early post to install macbook pro definitions 8,1 to enable intel 3000 graphics but that didn't work either. Thank you so much for your help

@Futuregator15, macbook pro definitions help emulate mac experience better, an i7 L502x is equal to 8,2 not 8,1. i5 would mean 8,1.

Did you delete by chance the SNBGraphics kext by chance? You will need to restore it.

@Kirky, cooling pad arrived, it's helps a lot lowered by temp by around 10ºC during load.

Hey Doix,

I restored the IntelSMBGraphicsFB.kext but still don't have full resolution. I also can't find a 8,2 Macbook Pro system definitions that would help the issue

Last night I did a complete system reinstall to basically just start over all the things that I did trying to get OS X running. Now I ran into a new error with AppleHDA.kext . Ive attached an image of my error message when I boot with -v. I can still get into OS X with -v -x but this kext is giving me trouble. Im gonna try and reinstall the original kext and then reinstall the version in the lion pack. In the mean time, any ideas? I repair permissions and cache after each install too.

post-298881-1319578713_thumb.jpg

Alright so I reinstalled again. This time I used Mac drive or windows to place my dsdt in extra before booting lion with rbootle with boot flags. That way I avoided any problems with AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext. Once I booted everything was working on the dsdt end (full res, USB), I installed my kexts but im stuck with a different error (See below). Not completely sure if your last instructions would help me with this one. If they do, can you explain them a little bit more to me? i read over your similar post to SpecBlue and couldn't figure it out. Also note I can boot with -v -x -f but the graphics don't work.

Thanks for all your help. I'm so close to a perfect build and I couldn't have done it without the great people of this site, especially DoiX who has hung in there with me the entire time lol ;)

post-298881-1319599556_thumb.jpg

@FutureGator15,

I installed my kexts but im stuck with a different error (See below).
you installed all the kexts from the pack? I'm not sure why it stalls there.

In terminal or in -v -s command line write

/sbin/mount -uw /

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

I'm sorry. I don't quite understand. I went to /library/caches and deleted what was in the folder. But I don't understand the rest of your directions

@Futuregator - Not Library/Caches, you should delete in System/Library/Caches/Com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

Also, I had trouble with Doix's AppleHDA.kext, the system kept telling me that I had installed incorrectly, so I installed the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] AppleHDA rollback kext and that worked perfectly!

@Doix - Cooling pad looks like it doing a good job for you. Because I've got the 9cell battery my L502 already sits off the ground to help air circulate. Its odd really, in smck-Stat-i.app my temps read 50 standard and 75 at full load, but the laptop is still nice and cool? I don't get an excessive amount of heat radiating from it?

I have noticed a few graphics glitches on the Dock and in the Finder? but nothing major. I'm going to try my FCPX and see how it performs, but I need to download it from the app store first!

Sorry for the late answer, had a dead line on a work related project.

@dominusdj I suspect the problem in your case is either the System Definition or the Intel HD graphics like rndlgna already mentioned but latest build of chimera supports most of Intel HD id's so it may not be that also do you have panels with Facial Recognition or with multi touch?

Anyway here is a possible fix to boot up your system:

1. boot with -v -s
2. /sbin/mount -uw /
3. sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
4. reboot

Now boot with -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=23

OR install chameleon instead of chimera just so you can boot and install DSDT which should in theory fix the boot with chimera.

@SpeBlue, if you can't get an external USB keyboard you have 2 options.

1. Reinstall iAtkos L this time chosing PS/2 Keyboard options (maybe it will help you)

2. Get the kext pack from my updated tutorial and put the kext folder on a usb stick then boot with -v -s to use the command terminal to copy the kexts from the USB stick to the extensions folder.

/sbin/mount -uw /
sudo cp /Volumes/Stickname/Kexts/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp /Volumes/Stickname/Kexts/ApplePS2Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Now boot with the extra -f flag aside the one you used to get it working.

Hi, I tried this method, but every time I go into ox enter "-v-f GraphicsEnabler busratio = 23 = No" so I decided to install 10.7.2 but now when I restart exit "Framebuffer SNB did not show up, unload "followed by continuous" Still waiting for root device "what should I do at this point? I almost lost all hope.

Thanks a lot DoiX

Well just a couple things I noticed with your post.

You should boot with -v -f GraphicsEnabler=no cpus=1 busratio=23 . If you mix up the boot flags OS X won't recognize the command. I

And it appears that osx doesn't recognized your OS X drive. Also that Framebufffer SNB error could be from you removing the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext from S/L/E. to get full graphics you have I restore it once after you copy your DSDT to extra partition.

Hope this helps. However DoiX is the master on this so hell probably give you a more comprehensive answer. I'm still in the process of getting my OS X running fully. Will keep everyone filled in on my status. If I manage to get my system fully working, I'll write my own steps of how I got it working.

Hey all, I got a somewhat stable OS X build. Sound is working thanks to the appleHDA roller back driver, the only problem is intel graphics aren't working now. I built the extensions.mkext and checked to make sure that AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext was loaded. I do still get the "snb frambuffer" error when I boot with -v but the system still loads. I also installed MacBook pro 8,1 system definitions since I can't find 8,2 definitions. Can someone post the 8,2 definitions and help me find a solution to my graphics problem? Thanks in advance!

*Waiting for DoiX to come to the rescue..

Edit: I tried to manually load the graphics kext and it failed. Issue found? I haven't modified the kext at all. Never deleted it or anything. So I'm contemplating extracting the original from the iAtkos image and installing that on my computer. But like I said I havent altered it so that seems pointless

Edit: deleting everything but the extensions.kext in the cache folder and then using kext wizard to repair permissions and cache. Then booted with usekernelcache=yes and the system booted with HD graphics! Yay! I'll post a synopsis of the steps it took me to do all this soon!

Question: is there a sleep enabler kext that is working for anyone? And how can I quicken OS X boot time? Its currently around a minute and a half. And I would still like someone to upload their 8,2 System Definitions if they could

@dominusdj, Check what futuregator15 replied to you, he got it right :)

@futuregator15, sleep works if you patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (aka Speed Stepping - check the previous tutorial i made), as for the definitions, they are included in OS X, all you got to do is change smbios.plist (from extra folder) inside it there is a line "SMProductname MacBookProX,X" you just change what ever model it is to 8,2 and you are done.

My boot time is only 50 seconds, it just loads the screen. Make sure you add UseKernelCache=Yes to org.chameleon.boot.plist "Kernel Flags" so it won't reload every single kext every time you reboot (if you already done that then i don't know why it takes so long to boot) anyway if you get sleep working you won't be bothered by the boot time. I personally just use sleep function and thats it, instant wakeup :D

It's strange how people are having problems with the AppleHDA I put in the pack, ah well i'm glad rollback kext is working as well.

@Kirky, i have 6 gb of ram, but i only experience graphic glitches when the built in GPU overheats, other than that it's working fine. I gotta make time to get busy with GT540M kext, i'm sure i can get it working but atm im flooded with projects.

@DoiX,

If you get 540m working youd be god lol I have a 525m personally but the cards are so similar I'm sure if you get one working a quick patch will get the other working

Edited my chameleon and smbios. Boot time is the same. Oh well. I'll try and get spedsteping working tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Does anybody know if they are working on a fix for the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 wireless/bluetooth card? I have that one in my system and would prefer to keep that one and still have wifi. I cant find any information about it on the net

i'm looking at installing Lion on my L502X same spec as the first post.

there are SO many posts on this topic now, is everything fully working now except wifi? including the nvidia graphics? (im a gamer)

& the backlit keyboard controls?

I'd love to do this! thank you guys & well done for all your dedication & support ! ;)

@dominusdj two things. Have you tried doing your first boot with rbootle cd with the respective boot flags? Have ever, I suspect youll have to do a reinstall of OS X because of your Waiting for root device error. Not sure though. Either way if the rbootle option doesn't work you can always wait for me to post my guide (the way it worked for me) probably tonight.

@lloydowen I've got everything working but nvidia graphics. But as far as I know DoiX will probably work on that soon. The only additional hardware needed is a Dell 1510 (DW1510) to get wireless working. Look at DoiX's lion guide (one on first page didnt work for me and is harder to do on page 6 (if in linear view). I'll post my own guide to how I got everything working probably tonight.

@dominusdj, futuregator15 is right yet again :P anyway just for you i'm gonna reinstall my OS back stepping what you described here, maybe this way i can understand whats the problem. :)

@futuregato15, well done you are learning fast!

Alright well I guess I lied. The AppleHDA kext doesn't work or some reason after you rebuild your mkext file, delete kernel cache and then rebuild the cache. Gonna try DoiX's kext now. And if that doesn't work I'll try the voodoo 2.7.3 from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

I only got voodoo to work for me (it produced sound but with an annoying hiss/weird sound that was only fixable by editing the volume circle in voodoo settings). It's strange. If I install the AppleHDA.kext and just rebuild the extensions.mkext the audio works but the Intel Graphics doesnt. If I rebuild mkext, and rebuild kernel cache, the Intell graphic works but the audio doesn't. Only with voodoo installed do both work despite voodoo's irregulartys.

After retrying the AppleHDA rollback, it still doesn't work. Kext wizard says its running but it isn't working. I'll post my -v screen below

Funny enough i encountered each problem described by some people here, culprit seems to be the kernel cache thing again, in some rare cases every command or app actually fails to include user installed kexts. Perhaps they now require some special signature.. oh well time to spend the whole night on this again.