[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2989 replies to this topic

oguzz

oguzz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Ok just a short guide for now.

Prepare your Lion like said in this thread: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=256729

More things todo before booting:

• dont forget the USB 3.0 kext from first side of this thread
  • http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263086 install this MBR Patch for Lion
  • dont forget Voodoo PS2 kexts or you cant use Trackpad + Keyboard to install
  • delete AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext in S/L/E of your USB stick or you will hang at DSMOS arrived
  • boot only with -v bootflag, nothing else (when u get some Nvidia error use "-v GraphicsEnabler=No" )
  • when your boot hangs before you see DSMOS arrived you forgot the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Maldons post
  • u can use MacBook8.1 but it doenst matter to much as we cant use the smbios graphics connector tables, but this is more advanced ...
When booting the first time to get to the installer, be patient. the boot will hang after DSMOS arrvied for 10sek-1minute. Then an error shows up "SNB Framebuffer dont arrive". Just wait another 10seks-1minute. The error comes up again. Eh Voila. The installer shows up! This error wont happen after doing the Post Installation and u will boot much faster.

Post Installation:

Run ##### with this options:
System Utilities
FakeSMC
NullCPUPowermanagement
USB3 Reneseas Kext
NO CHIMERA!!! use the chameleon version of maldon i linked below
MacBook Pro8,1
Kext Helper
Kext Utility to repair permissons
realtek gigabit kext

To get Full Resoultion with Intel HD 3000 recognized, add the kext file i uploaded with kext utility . Delete AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and repair permissons. Install this version of chameleon http://www.insanelym...howtopic=227833 as it boots very fast, dont install a theme, it will slow it again.

Add this to your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>600000000100000001000000540000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04001e00
00004100410050004c002c006f0073002d0069006e0066006f0000001800000030490111111108000001f01f01000000
10070000</string>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>

This is the moment to plug in a USB Hard drive and get a backup with time machine. This makes things lot better when you screw your installation while trying to get your other hardware working. Just Load the backup with the installer and try again.

To get more things working just use the kexts from this thread or other snow leopard threads. What i got working now: touchpad,keybaord,some function keys, display+full reolution, ethernet, webcam,bluetooth.

But be aware, dont install VoodooHDA by now, u will be unable to boot right now. before u do this delete AppleHDA.kext or u are {censored}ed. When u already installed VoodooHDA and now cant boot anymore, try booting with "-v UseKernelCache=yes" this helped me once i did this mistake.

WLAN will never work because intel dont release mac drivers. just get a working wlan card at ebay, they are around 10€-20€.

thank you very very much, i'll try it now.

Peterpower

Peterpower

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

thank you very very much, i'll try it now.

Let me know of it works, if u come across some errors photograph your screen and post it, im sure we can fix it.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
Hey guys, a question: does this laptop heat up much with OS X or the kexts do their job?

markmac81

markmac81

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Hey guys, a question: does this laptop heat up much with OS X or the kexts do their job?

Seems to be ok for me, but only light use (web browsing, movies etc.) The fan seems to run more than it does in Windows. The battery life is pretty terrible compared to the windows side too (maybe 2 hours).

HOTcakes

HOTcakes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Has anyone gotten sleep to work, or knows how to make it work? it would be nice to have to restart all the time.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Seems to be ok for me, but only light use (web browsing, movies etc.) The fan seems to run more than it does in Windows. The battery life is pretty terrible compared to the windows side too (maybe 2 hours).

Overall is it worth installing mac on? I'd hate to waste that kind of money on something that doesn't give me a good os x experience..

markmac81

markmac81

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Overall is it worth installing mac on? I'd hate to waste that kind of money on something that doesn't give me a good os x experience..

I think so, I much prefer mac to windows, you can still have both running anyway. Unless you're a gamer, I don't think you'll miss the nvidia graphics card. No monitor out though. Sd card doesn't work, but have only tried a couple of different kexts for it.

Lack of sleep kinda sucks, but I have a ssd, so starting and shutting down is pretty quick.

I got mine for around $1000, that's pretty cheap for a quad core macbook pro! It's basically a desktop replacement anyway, so you're not going to be far away from power for long. If I am, I just use windows.....

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

I think so, I much prefer mac to windows, you can still have both running anyway. Unless you're a gamer, I don't think you'll miss the nvidia graphics card. No monitor out though. Sd card doesn't work, but have only tried a couple of different kexts for it.

Lack of sleep kinda sucks, but I have a ssd, so starting and shutting down is pretty quick.

I got mine for around $1000, that's pretty cheap for a quad core macbook pro! It's basically a desktop replacement anyway, so you're not going to be far away from power for long. If I am, I just use windows.....

Thanks, i'm a designer i don't want my workflow to be interrupted by sluggish performances from the intel HD card...also changing cities this fall, it's the main reason i'm getting a laptop because i don't know how much space i'll have and such.

As long as the cpu graphics can handle some heavy duty graphics and rendering (AE/Photoshop/Premiere) and remain cool enough to not damage it i will be happy, though no monitor out is a big downside for me. Maybe i'm better off finding an ATI powered lappy? I'm not exactly too fond of wasting money on a thing that will run at the performance of a cheaper thing.

Thanks again.

markmac81

markmac81

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Thanks, i'm a designer i don't want my workflow to be interrupted by sluggish performances from the intel HD card...also changing cities this fall, it's the main reason i'm getting a laptop because i don't know how much space i'll have and such.

As long as the cpu graphics can handle some heavy duty graphics and rendering (AE/Photoshop/Premiere) and remain cool enough to not damage it i will be happy, though no monitor out is a big downside for me. Maybe i'm better off finding an ATI powered lappy? I'm not exactly too fond of wasting money on a thing that will run at the performance of a cheaper thing.

Thanks again.

I guess you could look into the HP dv6 quad so you could have a better chance of discrete graphics working....

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
Will do ;) thank you.

Kirky

Kirky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Filming & Editing!

Thanks again.

I think this laptops great. I use Final Cut Studio 3, Final Cut Pro X (which is very fast indeed), Photoshop and Aperture. I did upgrade the ram to 8gb, which gave me 512mb on the onboard graphics chip, but for the £630 I paid with a 1920x1080 screen it was a cheap alternative compared to the price of the Macbook Pro

JasonSznol

JasonSznol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am a bit confused, do we need to follow the guide at the beginning of this post to install to 10.6.8 first and then go to lion or can we go directly to lion from the short guide from like 12-13 posts back?

Alex DeWolf

Alex DeWolf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
I am running Ubuntu 11.04 with Bumblebee (allows using the Nvidia card with specific applications with hardware acceleration while the rest of the desktop uses the Intel video). I would love to install OSX on this but until I can get use of the Nvidia GPU I will stay with Ubuntu.

iMac2009

iMac2009

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Techstuff, Gaming, Whisky

I am a bit confused, do we need to follow the guide at the beginning of this post to install to 10.6.8 first and then go to lion or can we go directly to lion from the short guide from like 12-13 posts back?

You can install Lion directly.
You'll need the basics from post #1 to to prepare your USB installstick and then go ahead to the Lion How-To.

Maybe i'm going to write an full how-to for 10.7 on the L502x, as soon as my HD3000 runs on native 1080p.
It didn't worked for me with the attached kext.

Tomorrow I'll try again on a clean install, patching the DSDT as I guess my Problem belongs to a differ HwID which is 0116 instead of 01112
also going to try this fix http://www.tonymacx8...hp?f=15&t=28851

crdnilfan

crdnilfan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You'll need the basics from post #1 to to prepare your USB installstick and then go ahead to the Lion How-To.

Maybe i'm going to write an full how-to for 10.7 on the L502x, as soon as my HD3000 runs on native 1080p.

Tomorrow I'll try again on a clean install, patching the DSDT as I guess my Problem belongs to a differ HwID which is 0116 instead of 01112

If you were to do a full write up for installing Lion on the L502X I would be so grateful. The OP on this thread is from back in may, and there have been some improvements throughout the thread that aren't reflected in the OP.

Would your write up be a 10.6.8 -> 10.7 guide, or a unpartitioned windows only system to 10.7 guide? Or somewhere in between?

JasonSznol

JasonSznol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I would absolutely love a full write up for an l502x clean install to 10.7. I had tried a bit on friday and I could not get it to work for the life of me, I was clearly missing something. I would be more than happy to make a small donation for your time if it works because this will allow me to work remotely on my laptop if I have access to OS X on it.

koundinya_avk

koundinya_avk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi
I installed 10.6.8 using this guide and now I see high resolution mac osx. Thank you. I have few problems. My audio doesn't work properly and the mouse pointer is very slow. I think my i7 processor is not properly recognized. In the about dialog, I see different processor speed every time I login and processor as unknown. Please suggest.

iMac2009

iMac2009

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Techstuff, Gaming, Whisky

Would your write up be a 10.6.8 -> 10.7 guide, or a unpartitioned windows only system to 10.7 guide? Or somewhere in between?

Actually it'll be a conclusion of the original steps which where mentioned before to install to a "windows only" system with the need of an working Mac somewhere to prepare an working install stick.

But first i'm looking for an proper working fix to get my HD3000 running on full res.
Maybe today I'm able to spend an hour or two... so i hope :)

Paul A

Paul A

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I tried the fix you linked to and can confirm it enabled native resolution with QE/CI in Lion with my HD3000. You have to re install the original AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext from the Lion app if you removed it from your USB install stick. My HwID is 0116 as well. Also I have 4GB ram and there are no graphics artifacts problems.

JasonSznol

JasonSznol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Any update on getting that guide for a fresh 10.7 install?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy