[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Hm, i'm surprised it even works.

IOGraphicsFamily.kext is missing judging by that message. Check the /System/Library/Extensions folder to see if its there. If it is... repair permissions and rebuild cache using Kext Wizard.

Hm, i'm surprised it even works.

IOGraphicsFamily.kext is missing judging by that message. Check the /System/Library/Extensions folder to see if its there. If it is... repair permissions and rebuild cache using Kext Wizard.

It is there and I did repair permissions and rebuild cache but still get

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found.

Jun 7 19:47:48 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics - failed to resolve library dependencies.

Jun 7 19:47:48 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics failed to load (0xdc00800e).

Jun 7 19:47:48 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics (error 0xdc00800e).

Jun 7 19:47:48 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found.

Jun 7 19:47:48 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext

Is there any way I can tell if Graphics is fully working?

Let's see...

• Adding a widget in dashboard, you will see a wave/ripple effect..
  • The menu bar is semi transparent
  • You have full resolution.
  • You can watch flash videos or movies fullscreen without them skipping frames.
  • In Launchpad if you press the windows key on your laptop you will see another type of effect...

Those errors could be caused by version mismatch between kexts. On what OS X version are you?

• Like 1

Yay I've modded the 15/15z BIOS for native speedstepping. Obviously no difference in perf between the vanilla & modded AICPUPM kexts but it's one step closer to a fully modded BIOS :)

@DoiX - quick question - removing DropSSDT=Yes still results in a KP. I'm sure you've covered this before, but why does it still crash??

Does windows still work normally under that modded bios?

Apple changed something(loads of things) in AICPUPM.kext in 10.7.4, it messes with our system badly, even desktops have problems. I don't really know much of how that kext works but i suspect it's possibly related to the rumoured optimus macbooks. On last years model the embedded chip handles graphics but if they switch to optimus its all gonna be done software/uefi wise. Like i said... i don't really know what the hell is apple doing/planning but i'm not the only one puzzled by it.

I'm waiting for ML DP4, if my intuition is correct we should see major changes, like 10.7.4 but brought further.

Windows & Mint both work fine (I have a tri-boot setup). The only change made has been to force a bit (not) to be set, so PM should work fine under all other OSes.

Interesting news about changes in 10.7.4. In theory if we do have the modded bios set we should be able to deploy ML gold without any changes to AICPUPM.

Now all we need is to unlock the advanced bios config...

Let's see...

• Adding a widget in dashboard, you will see a wave/ripple effect..
  • The menu bar is semi transparent
  • You have full resolution.
  • You can watch flash videos or movies fullscreen without them skipping frames.
  • In Launchpad if you press the windows key on your laptop you will see another type of effect...

Those errors could be caused by version mismatch between kexts. On what OS X version are you?

Well looks like my HD 3000 is running well. The OS X version is 10.7.4

@jkbuha, would be great, not only for the GPU related things but for what the breakthrough on laptop UEFI systems would mean.

@is44c, well "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" glad its working fine. Those errors could be caused by one of the graphic related files not being replaced in the update process. Nothing major since everything is working fine.

• Like 1

@jkbuha, would be great, not only for the GPU related things but for what the breakthrough on laptop UEFI systems would mean.

@is44c, well "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" glad its working fine. Those errors could be caused by one of the graphic related files not being replaced in the update process. Nothing major since everything is working fine.

Except that Youtube always stop after 10 seconds' playback but I suspect it is because the lack of Audio driver. I saw similar behavior under 10.6.7 but after installing a working VoodooHDA, I can play Youtube normally. Thanks very much for all the help and advice here!

Speaking of flash....

post-167221-0-99869300-1339187944_thumb.png

What the hell Apple/Adobe, do you really hate yourselves that much?

I'd like to remind everyone that today is WWDC 2012, where new mac hardware and Mountain Lion features will be announced. Hopes up for something to get us that damn NGPU we deserve! London

It starts at: 18:00 London Time

Wohoo!

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2012/06/new-apple-macbook-pros-feature-kepler-class-geforce-gpus/ i hope by july we will have a fully working hackintosh! :)

Edited by DoiX
  • Like 2

So from what I am guessing, either the new build of OSX for the new macbooks should have some goodies for us, or what about Mountain Lion DP4? IIRC ML DP1 wasn't that hard to get more or less working, easier now if we could have that custom bios for power management...

Or are all ML efforts off till GM?

ML is like Lion, install wise. At WWDC tim said ML would be shipped this summer, and before that one last DP will be released.

Apple released a 10.7.4 update for 2012 MBPs, brings support for USB3 kepler and some other things. I'll install it today and see if it's any better than normal 10.7.4.

Update: Yeah... no, don't update. Bricked my system completely.

There is some evidence of optimus implementation. Using a normal DSDT the GF100Hal kext is being loaded, using the _PS0 function DSDT GK100Hal.kext is loaded. But thats it... the system enters a restart loop like it did on the other versions.

ML DP4 live on the web.

Edited by DoiX

Hi Doix,

Since 2 days i am playing with ML DP4 and used GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot command and i have successively booted on to the desktop with GF100Hal kext being loaded & registered but only after deleting geforce kexts ( with geforce kexts i am getting freezed at the boot) but i have installed NVDAGF100Hal.kext and so on those 5 kexts, no restart problem on my l702x, Nvida chip has been detected but still intel hd 3000 is active check the pic.

SystemProfiler.tiff

• Like 1

Hey mackyreddy, unfortunately by deleting the geforce kext you removed the anchor for QE/CI. Also GF100Hal being loaded means no optimus is getting detected. GK100Hal.kext is what we must aim to.

Example: in my brief encounter with 10.7.4 for MBPs 2012 using my moddified DSDT with _PS0 method GK100Hal gets loaded, after analyzing it a bit i found that apple implemented th optimus driver in this kext. And if this is loading it means we are closer to achieving.

Atm im only launching suppositions because i dont have the time to test, anyway i assume that acer users with optimus can get it working on ML by simply editing their DSDT to inckude the optimus chunk of code. On our models its different... the channel from the gpu to the display is closed by default, it needs dsdt patching, and till we find what code does that it will take a while. Like i said i'm only assuming atm, i'll look into it in july to be sure. Either way, the full SSDT/DSDT and IOReg dump from the new optimus enabled MBP will help us. So if you get your hand on them, please do share!

Edit: GK100Hal and GF100Hal are connected to NVDAResman.kext, removing resman forbids the other kexts to load. This wasn't the case before, another worrying thing is that the system is asking for MUXControl when GK100Hal is loaded....

P.S Here is Safari 6 Developer preview, if anyone wants it. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16173714/safari_6_developer_preview_for_lion.dmg (found it on some chinese site)

Edited by DoiX

@ darren cox

Just make sure u include nullcpupowermanagement.kext and Fakesmc.kext and after booting to the desktop delete nullcpupowermanagement.kext and install ur 10.7.4 patched intelcpupowermanagement.kext & intelcpupowermanagementclient.kext.

So I have it booting, need to install a ps2 next as keyboard/mouse not working - but using the my hack generated USB stick to install with my normal extra folder from 10.7.4

Are you saying I could have booted stock without any changes just those 2 kexts?

@ darren cox

yes all u need is those 2 kexts, org.chameleon.boot.plist, smbios.plist, DSDT & SSDT in place and use mbr patch. Once ur on the desktop just install ur hardware specific kexts which u currently use in lion.

Intel HD 3000 is natively supported in lion, if you have id 0x116 and 0x126 (which afaik are the only ids on sandy bridge cpus) *this being a hint to i7Hackintosh*. UseKernelCache=Yes means the system will use the pre generated kext list when starting up, instead of loading them individually each time. I can only assume voodoops2 has some broken permissions which is why it did not get included in the kextcache. (read some more info here http://www.insanelym...howtopic=279373 )

As for the sleep problem, hard to say since i don't have your model.. it could mean you need your own DSDT modded (like i said before) or that your bios is simply incompatible with sleep on OS X. On the L502x, sleep gets broken after A06 bios version. Try downgrading your bios one version at a time to see which one, if, enables sleep.

To downgrade simply download an older bios version from Dell site and install it using Windows... thats pretty much it.

You trying to make me get a Lion disc and install Lion instead? -___________________-

Fine, I'll do it.

OK. I am restoring basesystem.dmg to the usb stick, copying packages, replace OSInstall, install chimera, copy mach_kernel to root, copy famesmc/nullCPM to /S/L/E and copy my normal /Extra folder.

Reboot and KP right away at Apple logo?!?!?

What am I doing wrong?

Had ML booted once, then after reboot it KP's right away with a AHCI/ACPI error?

Confused...sorry to be a pain!

@darren, booting with -v will help us help you... you could also try booting with -x -v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20

@i7Hackintosh... Snow Leopard is a pain under sandy bridge. installing it i mean + some kext related stuff.

@darren, booting with -v will help us help you... you could also try booting with -x -v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20

@i7Hackintosh... Snow Leopard is a pain under sandy bridge. installing it i mean + some kext related stuff.

Tried those boot flags - Kexts get listed, then the Panic occurs and seems to show an airport kext being the cause? the one time it did boot i had no wifi - card is an actaul airport from an old macbook thats always worked perfect under Lion.

Anyone care to point me to a step by step that works? I'm missing something - myHack gives a working installer but I don't know what else it does