[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2974 replies to this topic

ITRaider

ITRaider

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:IT,Programming,Hackintosh
Boom works on my machine

Attached Files

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Boom works on my machine

I had it working for a couple of weeks... But since I installed 10.7.2 I can't install it without getting my system unbootable... =s

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
I'll open my laptop now Rockball :P

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

I'll open my laptop now Rockball :P

You're really great!! Thanks a lot, even if it isn't good news! :)

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
Alright, disassembled it... i'm sorry to report there is no available port for your bluetooth chip.

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
That's what I thought too after having a look at some L502x motherboard pics.
That's not a big problem. My USB dongle is working fine for now.

The only thing I noticed is that when I restart my computer (from Win7 or OS X), it hangs on BIOS screen (when the "progress bar" is at 100%...) like if it was searching for informations. And If I unplug my bluetooth USB dongle, then it continues to boot normally.

Any idea of what it could be related to?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
I'm pretty sure thats related to the BIOS, unfortunately dell is not known for equipping their products with great BIOS'....

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I read things on the subject in the past minutes and it's indeed related to BIOS and also with Intel chipset, because peope have the problem only with Intel ones.
I'll try with the A09 update, but I don't know if this will work.
And I don't like the A09 because of it's restriction of resolution on the boot screen... It's limited to 1024x768. But with the A06, I can set it to 1366x768 (native res).

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
I hate the fact that we loose sleep functionality... i can deal with the strict resolution at boot but i won't deal with lack of sleep!

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I'm not a heavy user of sleep so it could be not so problematic for me...
And resolution is not a big deal, but I don't like having low resoltion on my screen.

And A09 and sleep problem are linked but there's no difference between the A06 and A09? :huh:

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
I used FileMerge from Dev Tools, it didn't detect any differences between the ACPI table dumps. The changes must be in the routines or in some table that is not getting dumped by the acpi dumper...

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

I used FileMerge from Dev Tools, it didn't detect any differences between the ACPI table dumps. The changes must be in the routines or in some table that is not getting dumped by the acpi dumper...

Oh ok. That's strange... I don't have any knowledge in that, so I can't help. In what 'language' is the BIOS written?

EDIT :
About my problem with my USB dongle, I found a way to boot with it plugged in : USB Emulation disabled in BIOS makes it boot. The only thing is that I can't boot from an external HDD/ or any other thing plugged in via USB. But it's not a big deal, it boots without unplugging it everytime.

donkey

donkey

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Hello everyone! Is there any news about the advanced bios menu or a way to only use nvidia graphics card on this laptop? Does the this laptop perform adequately with the built in intel graphics core (hd video/games etc).

Thanks!

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Hello everyone! Is there any news about the advanced bios menu or a way to only use nvidia graphics card on this laptop? Does the this laptop perform adequately with the built in intel graphics core (hd video/games etc).

Thanks!

Hi Donkey!! At the moment, no progress concerning the nVidia graphic card. I try (as DoiX does) to PM people that claims to have a 3D display (on L502x/L702x) on differents forums, youtube, ... but still no answer.
Concerning the HD3000, it's not as powerfull as a discrete card but you can watch HD videos without any problems. The OS X interface is smooth (except some transitions, etc.), and concerning games, I cannot help you because I'm not a big player under OS X...

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
Games are alright, some you can play at high details others at medium. I've only tested them with the full PStates SSDT.

World of Warcraft - Max settings
Portal 2 - Max settings
HoN & LoL- Max settings
CoD MW 3 - Under Emulation... playable.. low to medium settings, depending on your luck and game scenes.
SIMS 3 ( :D ) - Max settings

I'm not a die hard gamer so i've only with them a few hours, the laptop under OS X performed wonderful, didn't overheat no sluggish performances...

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Games are alright, some you can play at high details others at medium. I've only tested them with the full PStates SSDT.

World of Warcraft - Max settings
Portal 2 - Max settings
HoN & LoL- Max settings
CoD MW 3 - Under Emulation... playable.. low to medium settings, depending on your luck and game scenes.
SIMS 3 ( :D ) - Max settings

I'm not a die hard gamer so i've only with them a few hours, the laptop under OS X performed wonderful, didn't overheat no sluggish performances...

I had a question concerning the HD3000... Does it work this way : More powerful the CPU is, more powerful the HD3000 is?
Or is the power of the HD3000 the same if you have a i7 or a i5? :)

EDIT :
Hey DoiX : Have you read about this? They made a lot of progress in BIOS modding...
http://forum.noteboo...-project-5.html

Edited by Rockball73, 13 March 2012 - 02:52 PM.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
I think so, i noticed a big FPS drop when using 3TS instead of 9TS

maxey

maxey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

About my problem with my USB dongle, I found a way to boot with it plugged in : USB Emulation disabled in BIOS makes it boot. The only thing is that I can't boot from an external HDD/ or any other thing plugged in via USB. But it's not a big deal, it boots without unplugging it everytime.

So this means u can boot now with an USB port plugged in?

Another question : How problematic is it to have the pc freezing or having a Kernel Panic and then restarting? I mean how harmful for the OS (I don't know for the file structure or similar thing)

I am just wondering ... every time i have a kernel panic or a frozen screen and shut down by long-pressing the power button i feel pity for my mac installation ;)

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

So this means u can boot now with an USB port plugged in?

Yes, I can boot with a USB plugged in... With "USB emultaion = enabled" it hanged on BIOS splash screen, and since I disabled it, it boot straight.
But you have to know that if you disable USB emulation, you won't be able to boot from any external USB HDD. USB devices are no longer detected by BIOS (Chimera bootloader or F12 on Bios screen).
So you'll only be able to boot from your HDD :) But it passes the BIOS splash screen even with a USB port plugged in.

EDIT :
AFAIK, I have always been able to boot with a USB plugged in (at least in the USB2.0 port). The fact is that, since I bought a Belkin Bluetooth mini USB dongle, I was unable to boot with it plugged in. It was hanging at the BIOS splash screen, unless I disable the "USB emulation" in BIOS settings...

Edited by Rockball73, 13 March 2012 - 02:52 PM.

maxey

maxey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Yes, I can boot with a USB plugged in... With "USB emultaion = enabled" it hanged on BIOS splash screen, and since I disabled it, it boot straight.
But you have to know that if you disable USB emulation, you won't be able to boot from any external USB HDD. USB devices are no longer detected by BIOS (Chimera bootloader or F12 on Bios screen).
So you'll only be able to boot from your HDD :) But it passes the BIOS splash screen even with a USB port plugged in.

EDIT :
AFAIK, I have always been able to boot with a USB plugged in (at least in the USB2.0 port). The fact is that, since I bought a Belkin Bluetooth mini USB dongle, I was unable to boot with it plugged in. It was hanging at the BIOS splash screen, unless I disable the "USB emulation" in BIOS settings...

Ah ok....so thats probably not something which will help my case.Since my boot screen would freeze after having pressed any button in the IAtkos boot menu.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy