[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Look here.

My battery icon had a cross in it after the 10.7.4 upgrade. It is now working perfectly after the installation of these kexts. I would recommend using Kext Wizard, though.

You know those are the EXACT kexts i have included in the installer pack/archive/tutorial and what people posted across this thread, right? :D

how did you fixed the battery?

As has been mentioned today, it was the Voodoo Battery kext, the same that's included in Doix's pack. The problem I had was that Doix's v6 pack wasn't working for me when installing the audio and battery kexts for some odd reason? so, using KextDrop.app I installed my backup of AppleHDA.kext, Dell_XPS_ALC665.kext, IOAudioFamily.kext for the audio and AppleACPIPlatform.kext and VoodooBattery.kext for battery meters

10.7.4 working great for me. Thanks viki for the aicpupm.

sound and battery didn't work with kexts from Doix v6 pack

installing with kext wizard the battery kexts from the link a few posts back did the job

installing the kexts attached did the job for sound (I removed the Dell_XPS_ALC665 from S/L/E)

audiol502x.zip

Guys, they are the same kexts... for some reason the installer package fails to update the kext caches on some people's machines. I've said, like others before, if you use the package installer, repair permissions and rebuild cache using your preferred app.

that's strange because I manually repaired permissions and rebuild caches after installing the kexts with your v6 package.

Weird... i wonder if something changed in 10.7.4 that breaks the scripts. I'll check/fix it when v7 will be released... atm i'm waiting on a update on something to include it.

Doix, do i smell a gt540m? :P

Oh i wish... it's related to the PowerManagement in 10.7.4, apple changed something that reduces powerstates even with the proper SSDT. I'm hoping revogirl or someone on the forums will post some accurate info.

About the nvidia card... read this the last paragraph, it states 9to5mac says this years MBP will have Nvidia cards. Now don't get this wrong, if apple will use mux chip again (which is pretty much counter productive on Nvidia gpus) then this update will be useless for us. Rumors also have it that it's gonna be optimus because it's more power efficient than what apple uses atm http://criticsunknow...nvidia-innards/ . We shall see soon enough.

Other rumors say that apple will release 4 MBP models this year, not sure how true this one is.

Edited by DoiX

Random question, and one that people here may not know. But does anyone know if the 10.7.4 update fixes the 'cursor disappearing when going from one monitor to another' bug?

I only notice it on my desktop, which I dont really want to bother updating as I dont see many features of 10.7.4 that interest me. Although if that fix is one of the features then I may consider updating =)

Random question, and one that people here may not know. But does anyone know if the 10.7.4 update fixes the 'cursor disappearing when going from one monitor to another' bug?

I only notice it on my desktop, which I dont really want to bother updating as I dont see many features of 10.7.4 that interest me. Although if that fix is one of the features then I may consider updating =)

Wish i could answer this.. but again, i never had this bug.

Great bugsolve for me in 10.7.4:

My RTL8192CU7.kext with 1.9.7 wireless utility for my 4,- nano usb wireless key never woke up after sleep.

I always had to manually unload and load the kext.

Now my wireless just works straight out of waking up from sleep!!!

also: usb3 seems to work better

L502x Installer Pack V7

http://dl.dropbox.co...02x-Lion_v7.pkg

Changelog:

- kextcache and kext permission script finally fixed.

- updated Boot.plist's EFI String for the IGPU

- included Kozlek's HWSensors and HWMonitor

- updated AppleHDA.kext, removed DELL_XPS_665 injector.

- new DSDT (DSDT14May) with restart fix.

- added the AICPUPM.kext from 10.7.4

- improved SSDTs one for i5 and another for i7 users.

- included Graphics Artefacts patch

-
IO80211Family.kext
from 10.7.2 to fix broken wifi for some atheros cards

IMPORTANT: i recommend updating your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file with the ones from the package.

About the SSDTs:

- it MUST be used with DropSSDT=Yes. Value description: Yes ->Speedstep enabled | No -> Speedstep disabled. GeneratePStates must be removed.

About the Graphics Artifacts Patch:

- it may or may not fix your gfx glitches. According to some devs, increasing or decreasing the memory used by the Intel GPU remove graphic artifacts. This means you must test each kext, low RAM and high RAM, to see what does it for you.

P.S it doesn't matter what SMBios you use now, MBP8,1 or 8,2 or 8,3 since the EFIString will take care of what the specific 8,1 did and that is enabling miniDP port.

Edited by DoiX

great!

Will try it out

update:

-one little flaw still in the installer: choice between MP 8,1 8,2 and 8,2 instead of 8,3

-please remove Quiet Boot = yes as I and probably many others want to see the prompt or even use Instant Menu = yes

-same with Timeout, please put 5 instead of 1

-what about CSTusingsystemIO? is it not necessary?

-same with npci=0x2000? not needed anymore?

good work DoiX!

So what exactly are the drawbacks of going to 10.7.4 at the moment? I've read here that it seems like you need to boot with -v or UseKernelCache=No? Don't really want to do that, but might be able to live with it if it fixes my USB3!

Right now my USB3 ports are working with portable storage devices, at least unpowered ones anyway, but not Midi devices, and not my iPhone =( Can anyone confirm that they have the USB3 ports working with Midi devices, especially powered ones?

And good work Doix for releasing the new package with what looks like lots of new fixes and features =D

great!

Will try it out

update:

-one little flaw still in the installer: choice between MP 8,1 8,2 and 8,2 instead of 8,3

-please remove Quiet Boot = yes as I and probably many others want to see the prompt or even use Instant Menu = yes

-same with Timeout, please put 5 instead of 1

-what about CSTusingsystemIO? is it not necessary?

-same with npci=0x2000? not needed anymore?

good work DoiX!

Thanks, as for npci not necssary.

Made those changes, it's now uploaded.

@Doix,

Thxs for the L502v7 installer. Haven't tried it yet as my system is running 10.7.4 fast and smoother than ever without graphics glitches anymore, but still with UseKernelCache=No enabled. Just curious, does your audio update fix the heavy base issue from the speakers, or do we still need to edit the kext?

Also, does anyone know which page the SD Card Reader package is on - I can't find it? or is their a better option?

Nice work DoiX - new DSDT works flawlessly with reboot. I've also retouched your SSDT for the higher clock speeds on my 2720 - works great.

On other news we're starting to see a breakthrough in finally breaking through the bios. If you've got any spare time, and are linux and/or toolchain friendly, maybe now could be a good time to dip in... :)

Great work on the latest package mate.

Nice work DoiX - new DSDT works flawlessly with reboot. I've also retouched your SSDT for the higher clock speeds on my 2720 - works great.

On other news we're starting to see a breakthrough in finally breaking through the bios. If you've got any spare time, and are linux and/or toolchain friendly, maybe now could be a good time to dip in... :)

Great work on the latest package mate.

PM your SSDT, i'll add it in the package in case someone else has that CPU.

I wish i could help, but my exam is in one month and i still have like 2 years worth of materials to study. :(