[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Anyway, i'm looking for some beta testers for my app. If any of you are interested just PM me.

Hey,

I would love to test your app

Running 10.7.2 . 6GB RAM , i5 2.3Ghz

Have a tri boot, Mac OS X/Win 7 Ulltimate/Ubuntu 11.10 all 64 bit

Regards,

adv392

Sorry couldnt PM you, it says you cant recieve any PMs

Was wondering if anyone could help. I noticed that my windows install would wake itself from sleep. After some investigating i figured its trying to hibernate. When i manually try to hibernate nothing really happens. The screen flicks off then on again. I wonder if this is to do with Chimera?

Edit:

There are some fixes to this but it requires a GUID MBR if i understand correctly - we can't use that right?

Was wondering if anyone could help. I noticed that my windows install would wake itself from sleep. After some investigating i figured its trying to hibernate. When i manually try to hibernate nothing really happens. The screen flicks off then on again. I wonder if this is to do with Chimera?

Edit:

There are some fixes to this but it requires a GUID MBR if i understand correctly - we can't use that right?

Globally Unique IDentifier (GUID) partition table - Is one thing.

Master Boot Record (MBR) partion table - is another thing.

GUID MBR - does not exist

L502x Does not support GUID partitioning because it hinders your booting ability.

Sleep is different from hibernating, both are not affected by the presence of Chimera. Your problem is most likely related to windows... or your bios if you updated it recently.

Thanks Doix, I thought that GUID MBR aren't together, but didn't know exactly the difference.

A lot of people on forums have indicated the same problem (inability to hibernate) because you need to set the windows partition to active. Doing that with an MBR partitioned drive means chameleon won't load. To set both windows as the active partition and have chameleon boot loader load requires GUID, which I understand doesn't work on our bioses.

Can anyone let me if they managed to get windows to hibernate with osx, and what your configuration is? (eg chimera 1.8, windows as active partition)

Upon hibernation, the computer saves the contents of its random access memory (RAM) to a hard disk or other non-volatile storage. Upon resumption, the computer is exactly as it was upon entering hibernation.

When used to save power, hibernation is similar to sleep mode and saves more power at the cost of slower resumption.

Again, chimera shouldn't mess with sleep or hibernating on windows... "sleep" image is still present despite chimera poping up before windows. I used the hibernate function only once after futuregator15/A_kennedy said something about it a while back... it work with chimera, OS X set as main boot partition.

Doing that with an MBR partitioned drive means chameleon won't load. To set both windows as the active partition and have chameleon boot loader load requires GUID
I don't understand what you're saying.

Is there a simple fix for the time in Windows/OS X? If I'm right Windows stores the UTC time in the Bios and adds the timezone and daylight saving in Windows itself, while OS X saves the actual time in the Bios. This causes my Windows to have a 2 hour delay when I toggle between OSX and Windows. OS X automatically updates the time in Lion but on Windows I need to manually update te time thru the settings

Thanks for the reply Doix. I'll double check to see if my windows is the active partition or not (I'm pretty sure osx is the active one). This link describes the problem: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1430.0.html

It might just be my configuration that's messed up. I generally don't use hibernate but use sleep a lot. However, I've been coming back from work and my laptop has been on for maybe a few hours. It's annoying.

I read something about it a while back. If I do remember right, there was some fix for it. I think that you need to change a value in the registry base and then it made OS X and Windows have the same timezone and the same hour when you toggle between them.

You can Google something like : timezone OS X Windows and maybe find what I read a while back. At the moment, my Windows is 2 hours late too, but I don't mind as I mainly use OS X... :)

Hello,

I just created the account so i can share my knownlge etc.

First this is how I fix time for windows create text file fixtime.txt then add these lines:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

save and close now rename to fixtime.reg and run as admin..

I have more to share after updating the bios I lose SMBus but I found the way to change IDs in DSDT which loads them correctly I will share soon when I will be on my Laptop..

I do have mac mini my self so I also found a workaroud for Intel 3000HD VGA Screen black lines problem.. They are happing because IODisplayConnectFlags always stays with <00 00 00 00> but I have this right from when I plugin into mac mini so I will past here when we use mini-display as VGA or DVI soon..

Thanks DoiX for all your help etc.

• Like 1

Ok, is this right?

OSX is set to Active, Primary Partition

Windows is set to System, Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition

Data is set to Primary Partition

Is hibernation working for anyone with this same setup? I'm using Chimera 1.8

Hi, I have a problem with the installation of iAtkos on my dell xps 15 laptop... wenn I boot from dvd then nothing happen... It's everything blocked in the screeen "tap any key for starting from iAtkos" or something like that...

Could someone Help me? I'm not really an expert so sorry if I made a stupid question.

My specs are:-i7 2860QM

-8 gb RAM

-FHD display

-Nvidia GT540M

P.S.:Sorry for my english

Hi, I have a problem with the installation of iAtkos on my dell xps 15 laptop... wenn I boot from dvd then nothing happen... It's everything blocked in the screeen "tap any key for starting from iAtkos" or something like that...

Could someone Help me? I'm not really an expert so sorry if I made a stupid question.

Do you have any usb devices or an external monitor attached?

I had the same problem when trying to install for the first time but unplugging everything fixed the problem for me.

Also, Iatkos L1 seems way more reliable than L2 in terms of booting.

Oh ok. I tried with Enable P/C States options ticked and DropSSDT disabled, with SSDT.aml in the root of my partition and the score dropped down to 5100...

Maybe I'm the only one experiencing it, I really don't know.

@ Marcassin :

About the USB WiFi stick : I bought a DWA-131 before I bought a Dell 1510 Wifi card. I found drivers on the internet and I thought it wasn't working because I had nothing in the Networ prefpane... I was very sad because it cost me 25€ but the day after that, I found an app in the Launchpad (I don't remember the exact name, but the logo was something like "Wireless", you know?) So I launched it and there my dongle was supported, showing the differents networks available : You have to launch this app' at every boot to get WiFi working, and let it run all the time. It replaces the network prefpane...

Maybe there is something like this for you.

About the hang on boot while dongle connected : Go to your BIOS settings and disable "USB Virtualization". It fixed the problem for me, with a bluetooth dongle...

Like DoiX said, for the USB3 ports, they are a little bit problematic. I haven't exerienced KP when hot unplugging something from them for a while, but the best way to avoid it is to buy a USB hub (I bought a 12ports USB HUB with a sector adaptator for 10€ and it's working perfectly with 2 external HDD of 2To and my bluetooth dongle, my printer, and some extra things, all plugged at the same time).

Hey , thinking about a DW 1510 too...just 2 questions : Is it hard to build into the XPS? and is it this one http://www.ebay.de/itm/Dell-DW1510-802-11-ABGN-Wireless-Half-Mini-PCI-E-BCM94322HM-Dual-Brand-WIFI-Card-/260876697796?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd7680c4#ht_1373wt_907?

Hey , thinking about a DW 1510 too...just 2 questions : Is it hard to build into the XPS? and is it this one http://www.ebay.de/i...4#ht_1373wt_907?

Yes, that's the one. But you can get it much cheaper, I think. I bought it for half the price in China and it arrived in 10 working days... I'm living in Belgium, and it was supposed to take about 20 working days so, pretty fast :)

If I can get the link I will give it to you.

And it's very simple to install. Just take off the back panel (with 4 screws) and it right there. Pull it off, insert the DW1510 and... MIRACLE... you have WiFi :)

• Like 1

Yes, that's the one. But you can get it much cheaper, I think. I bought it for half the price in China and it arrived in 10 working days... I'm living in Belgium, and it was supposed to take about 20 working days so, pretty fast :)

And it's very simple to install. Just take off the back panel (with 4 screws) and it right there. Pull it off, insert the DW1510 and... MIRACLE... you have WiFi :)

Huh would be great if you could remember the link! :D i searched on ebay as i also got a cheap card for my Samsung NC 10 which i converted to a HackBookMini from a chinese reseller there. 12 € i think including parcel.

Hope its as easy as changing the ram ;)

Hello,

First this is how I fix time for windows create text file fixtime.txt then add these lines:

I have more to share after updating the bios I lose SMBus but I found the way to change IDs in DSDT which loads them correctly I will share soon when I will be on my Laptop..

I do have mac mini my self so I also found a workaroud for Intel 3000HD VGA Screen black lines problem.. They are happing because IODisplayConnectFlags always stays with <00 00 00 00> but I have this right from when I plugin into mac mini so I will past here when we use mini-display as VGA or DVI soon..

thnx this worked!

@ DoiX

I screwed up my installation some time ago and am about to reinstall Lion soon.

Does your .V6 Package already include all the latest and greatest updates/fixes that were discovered in this thread (fix for artifacts on intel HD graphics, Speedstep, latest DSDT etc.?) and your installation app?

Do you actually still plan to create a dedicated "one click" boot CD/ installation CD for XPS users as you mentioned a while ago or is it not possible?

Thanks again for all your hard work on this.

Found this one

http://www.ebay.de/i...d#ht_500wt_1413

Its the same isnt it?

Would buy it i think :)

Edit:

--> bought it :D

Edited by maxey

Thanks for the reply Doix. I'll double check to see if my windows is the active partition or not (I'm pretty sure osx is the active one). This link describes the problem: http://forum.voodoop...pic,1430.0.html

It might just be my configuration that's messed up. I generally don't use hibernate but use sleep a lot. However, I've been coming back from work and my laptop has been on for maybe a few hours. It's annoying.

That topic is old, i remember seeing a commit about Hibernation in the Chameleon Source Code ages ago... when i have some spare time i'll try hibernate on windows. On mac i know it became useless in Lion (google for more info)

Hello,

I'll update my guide with this info so others can profit based on it. Thank you.

@ DoiX

I screwed up my installation some time ago and am about to reinstall Lion soon.

Does your .V6 Package already include all the latest and greatest updates/fixes that were discovered in this thread (fix for atrifacts on intel HD graphics, Speedstep, latest DSDT etc.?) and your installation app?

Do you actually still plan to create a dedicated "one click" boot CD/ installation CD for XPS users as you mentioned a while ago or is it not possible?

Thanks again for all your hard work on this.

I've reached the conclusion a "dedicated" boot image would be useless so i abandoned that idea.

V6 as far as i remember, has the latest DSDT and SpeedStepping (for i7 only i think), the artifacts or freezing fix isn't added yet. Installation app? Do you mean Aergia? It's still under development.. so far only 2 people provided feedback... not enough to release it to the main. It still needs more work and bug fixes.

Hi, the fix won't promise to get rid of the GFX artifacts because not everyone experience them from the same cause, from the people i interviewed it's common to happen when the laptop is above 60ºC for some time, or after heavy GFX use which again causes the GPU to heat up. Another cause for the artifacts seems to be memory related, when the ram is full/close to full or leaks.

I'll try to work on it some more this weekend, i'll release it on monday.. hopefully with an update.

Do you guys still have problems with USB3 ports?

Edited by DoiX

Yes, my usb3 just don't work.

Plugging anything into them is hit or miss as to whether the system locks up.

No panic, just hard freeze.

I'm using v6 of your package i believe, with the full-throttle ssdt's.

And the artefacts crop up not long after watching a flash based movie, or playing kerbal space program. Never in general use, and rarely on battery.

I look forward to your eventual release, without yours and others work i'd still be using my old sony vaio instead of this tasty dell.