CMOS Resets on Restarts after Sleep and Wake in 10.7 (Lion)

• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

karaakeha1

karaakeha1

Mac Pro Case

• Donators
  • 561 posts
Sleep works after patch but fails to wake up after sleep, need force restart or power off

But same patch worked fine DP4

bebop68

bebop68

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

@ bebop

did you use tseugs patch for the AppleRTC.kext to fix the cmos reset after sleep?

yes - he released a version for the GM in a post above..

Lion GM
Sleep works after patch but fails to wake up after sleep, need force restart or power off

There's a new tseug patch for GM - did you apply that or the DP4 patch?

Just to confirm guys - setting my RTC length to 8 in my dsdt doesn't produce a cmos reset in lion and solves the rtc single bank error.

Lion GM

There's a new tseug patch for GM - did you apply that or the DP4 patch?

Just to confirm guys - setting my RTC length to 8 in my dsdt doesn't produce a cmos reset in lion and solves the rtc single bank error.

karaakeha1

karaakeha1

Mac Pro Case

• Donators
  • 561 posts
After wakeup is black screen
Have to force restart or shut down
so not working as was in DP4

rayap

rayap

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

That script is working om my GA-EP45-DS3L (OSX 10.7 Lion GM)
No more bios reset after sleep
But auto sleep dos´nt work ?
I´ve attached my dsdt.aml

So you have auto-sleep working normally withOUT the patch?

longtom

longtom

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

yes the latest patch for GM
After wakeup is black screen
Have to force restart or shut down
so not working as was in DP4

Try to press again a keyboard key, then monitor was back again in my case.

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,710 posts
  • Interests:Apicoltura
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello

@ssds - Yes you copy and paste the command in to Terminal, but the command needs to be preceded by sudo:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\x74\x0b|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\xeb\x0b|; s|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\x74\x08|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\xeb\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

confirm works on ZOTAC Geforce 9300 mini itx (MCP79a chipset)

great people!

nexus77777

nexus77777

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
copy past ...

SAFE SLEEP ARGUMENTS
hibernatemode takes a bitfield argument defining SafeSleep behavior. Passing 0 disables SafeSleep altogether, forcing the computer into a regular sleep.

0000 0001 (bit 0) enables hibernation; causes OS X to write memory state to hibernation image at sleep time. On wake (without bit 1 set) OS X will resume from the hibernation image. Bit 0 set (without bit 1 set) causes OS X to write memory state and immedi- ately hibernate at sleep time.

0000 0010 (bit 1), in conjunction with bit 0, causes OS X to maintain system state in memory and leave system power on until bat- tery level drops below a near empty threshold (This enables quicker wakeup from memory while battery power is available). Upon nearly emptying the battery, OS X shuts off all system power and hibernates; on wake the system will resume from hibernation image, not from memory.

0000 1000 (bit 3) encourages the dynamic pager to page out inactive pages prior to hibernation, for a smaller memory footprint.

0001 0000 (bit 4) encourages the dynamic pager to page out more aggressively prior to hibernation, for a smaller memory footprint.

We do not recommend modifying hibernation settings. Any changes you make are not supported. If you choose to do so anyway, we rec- ommend using one of these three settings. For your sake and mine, please don't use anything other 0, 3, or 25.

hibernatemode = 0 (binary 0000) by default on supported desktops. The system will not back memory up to persistent storage. The system must wake from the contents of memory; the system will lose context on power loss. This is, historically, plain old sleep.

hibernatemode = 3 (binary 0011) by default on supported portables. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and will power memory during sleep. The system will wake from memory, unless a power loss forces it to restore from disk image.

hibernatemode = 25 (binary 0001 1001) is only settable via pmset. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and will remove power to memory. The system will restore from disk image. If you want "hibernation" - slower sleeps, slower wakes, and better battery life, you should use this setting.

Please note that hibernatefile may only point to a file located on the root volume.

Try to press again a keyboard key, then monitor was back again in my case.

For "normal" regular sleep: Try sleep enabler or sleepenablerNG for 10.7....

search in kexts.com or in Lion post install forum section...

plprado

plprado

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

thanks for this info bebop68. I confirm it works here also. I have a asus p5k premium

edit: well, too good to be true... It does solve single bank error but it breaks my sleep, so I guess I'll have to go back to the single bank error.

nexus77777

nexus77777

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

That script is working om my GA-EP45-DS3L (OSX 10.7 Lion GM)
No more bios reset after sleep
But auto sleep dos´nt work ?
I´ve attached my dsdt.aml

Well, same for me, on Ep45DS3 and DS3R...
I was confused between hibernation and sleep....

Patch/deepsleep/hibernation seems to work but sleep not, with Sleepenabler or SleepenablerNG,
sleep works (but disk shutdown so quickly and making strange noise...)
Lan have trouble don't reconnect on wake half the time...

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
For anyone who reports errors:

Could you please check whether the error you report is caused by the patch? That is, aside from CMOS reset, does sleep/wake work with an unmodified AppleRTC?

As mentioned numerous times the patch is only a CMOS reset patch. It is not a general sleep patch.

longtom

longtom

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Yes, it only corrects the CMOS problem.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 862 posts
I can confirm the patch to be working for GM build 511, no more CMOS resets for me after sleep or restart.
My sleep, however got jerky after switching to 10.7. In Snow Leopard it used to work just fine from the first release, I had done the RTC fix to 0x02 to avoid CMOS reset back then when 10.6 was first introduced. I own a P35-DS3L Gigabyte with a E2160 and GTS250 onboard which I'm mostly masking to ICH10 in my DSDT. I have never experienced any sorts of problems related to sleep, restarts or shutdown with my setup, using a broadcom bluetooth dongle that is Mac compatible running my Apple aluminum wireless keyboard and magic mouse.

In 10.6 I'm able to wake my machine by pressing the power button, it power straight on and no bluetooth connection is lost during boot and my console log just seems fine, no anomalies.
In 10.7 however if I try to wake my machine on after sleep using power button it starts to wake and then goes straight to sleep, I can press, say volume up in this time frame and her the 'click' meaning the keyboard has awaken. But the machine goes back to sleep immediately. If I try to wake from power button again the situation just repeats, until I hit the power button twice to prevent it going to sleep again or hit any key on my USB keyboard on mouse. Also, when waking the machine directly from USB peripherals it wakes just normal, the bluetooth connection is not lost and my bluetooth devices stay connected.

Here's the log if I wake it using the power button tapped twice or a power button, then a key on my keyboard:
http://cl.ly/0o1k2V0i2v3Z0G3Z2l3t
What does it mean graphics suppressed? It shows up there no matte what I use graphics enabler from Cham or old style DSDT modification.
Here's the log if I wake it directly from a USB peripheral (old style plastic Appe Keayboard with USB 1.1 hub building with a Might Mouse connected to one of the ports):
http://cl.ly/3L1U1Z2Y0k3a0a1V122V

I would like to restore functionality back to how it was in 10.6 without replacing the AppleRTC next completely from 10.6. Don't mind the log about DHCP and all that stuff, It does that because the plugin for my RTL8169 card was removed in DP2 and ever since I have to use a plugin from DP1. Might as well try Realtek's official 2.0.6 some time.

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

I can confirm the patch to be working for GM build 511, no more CMOS resets for me after sleep or restart.
My sleep, however got jerky after switching to 10.7.

I and others have the same power button problem as you have but isn't it off-topic in this thread?

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 862 posts
Well, yes kind of, sorry for that. I'm glad that the patch for CMOS reset worked, thanks a bunch !
Could you point me out to a discussion related to that other problem, please?

longtom

longtom

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Yeah, we need to solve this lion sleeps tonight problem. :rolleyes:

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Well, yes kind of, sorry for that. I'm glad that the patch for CMOS reset worked, thanks a bunch !
Could you point me out to a discussion related to that other problem, please?

I dont't think there is one at the moment.

Taruga

Taruga

Retired

• Retired Developers
  • 527 posts
Tested the RTC patch on an Asus P5QC and now Sleep and Wake works fine. I can even wake my pc by left clicking my mouse button. Later today I'm also going to test on my Gigabyte X38-DS5

Attached is my dsdt for the P5QC

Attached Files

karaakeha1

karaakeha1

Mac Pro Case

• Donators
  • 561 posts
Culprit was AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext removed this and

I installed RealtekR1000.kext wake up is instant

Javimdq

Javimdq

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Finally wake up works fine now
Culprit was AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext removed this and

I installed RealtekR1000Lion.kext wake up is instant

Where did you find this kext?

stevekicks

stevekicks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Got my sleep working perfectly on my ga-p55a-ud3r with dsdt from tonymacs database.

Simply had to run the patch from this thread and enable "Startup automatically after a power failure" in energy settings.

Beautiful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy