Bootloader Chameleon

• Please log in to reply
2438 replies to this topic

ErmaC

ErmaC

• Supervisors
  • 4,634 posts

POPULAR

The Chameleon bootloader is an open source project and is released in accordance with the GPL v2 license. The source code can be found at the voodooprojects' forge where it can be downloaded and compiled.

If you are not comfortable downloading and compiling source code or you just want a quick method of obtaining the last binaries then there is a Buildbot dedicated to compiling and making ready up to date builds for download.

Chameleon can then be installed to your system using the Terminal and a lot of people choose this option as they have full control over what they're doing. However, other users prefer to have it automated and that is why the Chameleon package installer exists.

This topic is dedicated to the Chameleon package installer.

Posted Image

What can I install to?
• It can install to a hard drive or USB flash drive using either an MBR or hybrid GPT/MBR, and can install to both FAT32 and HFS+ partitions.
Note: Installation to the EFI system partition is currently disabled due to new features in the package installer.

What benefits do I get from using it?
• Any existing stage 2 boot file and /Extra folder will be backed up before installation.
• You can choose to select from the majority of supported available boot options and kernel flags.
• Any existing boot options and kernel flags can be deselected if required.
• Existing com.apple.Boot.plist will be changed to org.chameleon.Boot.plist.
• Installation log is saved for your record.
• Multi-language support.
• Intelligent installation of stage 0 code (boot0, boot0hfs, boot0md) depending on existence of Windows.
• Checks to avoid possibility of a b1f:error or boot1:error if installing a secondary boot partition.
• The installer is under continuous development.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not consider myself responsible for any loss of data on your hard drives.

Please don't upload it on other servers and don't repack it, thank you.
  • Latest Trunk Pkg and Binaries ==> available in the download section >> HERE <<
  • Latest Enoch Pkg and Binaries ==> avaiable in the download section >> HERE <<
Please don't upload it on other servers and don't repack it, thank you.

Hi people. PLS help

Previously, it was raised here (collected), a lot of languages...
the localizable.strings file was translated into several languages ​​...

Now it's time to dust off that file and re fit.
and the list of the various languages ​​with relative links.
will be added (after adjustment).

For on-line Chameleon language package resource edit
>> Pootle <<
Spoiler

Pls translate/complete it.

--------------

Posted Image

Spoiler

How to install Chameleon manually HERE c0rk007hck topic
How to install Chameleon manually to EFI partition HERE munky topic
How to install chameleon manually to a software RAID HERE nathan7 topic

Experimental .dmg February 17 2011 Attached File  Chameleon.747.zip   7.84MB   16851 downloads
NOTE: Before restart the machine after using the pkg check the com.apple.Boot.plist into the Extra folder bug found

Fabio

Mohamed Khairy

Mohamed Khairy

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
thanks fabio
you are good man :)

thanh hoang

thanh hoang

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I love u, iFabio, good work

juanerson

juanerson

InsanelyMac Legend

• Local Moderators
  • 1,411 posts
Thank you very much iFabio... beautiful installer, worked perfect for me. Congratulations, you are a symbol of excellence. Thanks for all your contributions to the community.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,055 posts
Hi iFabio

Thanks for re-typing the text in to the installer (sorry I didnt' get round to posting it). :)
It looks great and works well. I even see more options now for the com.apple.Boot.plist! good thinking.

For each bootloader option, can you use a smaller font in the bottom text box and also add line breaks?
I ask because I made the text fit on 4 lines to try and make it more readable. like in the examples below.

Note: I have made a couple of corrections to the wording and highlighted them in blue and removed a word and highlighted that in red.

Chameleon bootloader option
boot1h. 
boot1h - Install to the partition's boot-sector - responsible for finding boot.
boot - Install to the partition's root directory - responsible for loading kernel. _linenums:0'>Chameleon's boot process requires three essential files. (Listed in simple terms) boot0 - Install to the drive's MBR - responsible for loading boot1h. boot1h - Install to the partition's boot-sector - responsible for finding boot. boot - Install to the partition's root directory - responsible for loading kernel.
boot0 option
Installs the three essential files and writes boot0 to the first
440 bytes of the MBR so as not to destroy any existing Windows code.
* boot0 searches for boot1h on the first active partition.
* This install option activates your selected target partition. _linenums:0'>This option Installs the three essential files and writes boot0 to the first440 bytes of the MBR so as not to destroy any existing Windows code. * boot0 searches for boot1h on the first active partition. * This install option activates your selected target partition.
boot0hfs option?
Installs the three essential files and writes boot0hfs to the first
440 bytes of the MBR so as not to destroy any existing Windows code.
* boot0hfs searches for boot1h on the first [s]active[/s] partition, regardless of active flag.
* This install option does not activate your selected target partition. _linenums:0'>This option Installs the three essential files and writes boot0hfs to the first 440 bytes of the MBR so as not to destroy any existing Windows code. * boot0hfs searches for boot1h on the first [s]active[/s] partition, regardless of active flag. * This install option does not activate your selected target partition.

Thanks again for your work and these are just simple guidelines without adding too many words to keep it simple. And like I've said before, if anybody has better words / phrases for this then please submit your suggestions.

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
These installers are working well for me. Thank you.

aleister Crowley

aleister Crowley

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thank you
Ive Question : can i select install options (i need bootohfs) directly in the Setup Dialog or do i have to edit something in the Package?

Thank you

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,055 posts
I thought this thread was intended for improving this package installer and not for questions about general OS X installation and Chameleon features etc. ? iFabio, please correct me if I'm wrong.

can i select install options (i need bootohfs) directly in the Setup Dialog

yes

geticus

geticus

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hello et thank you for the job.

MaLd0n

MaLd0n

...filling veins with juice of chaos...

• Moderators
  • 11,137 posts
Hi Fabio
Great Work
Thank you

Posted Image

aleister Crowley

aleister Crowley

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

I thought this thread was intended for improving this package installer and not for questions about general OS X installation and Chameleon features etc. ? iFabio, please correct me if I'm wrong.

yes

Mhh i dont have any Option in the Chameleon RC5 installer Setup Dialogs to select Boot0hfs or the other choices ?

rednous

rednous

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:graphic design, mac, progressive and house

Mhh i dont have any Option in the Chameleon RC5 installer Setup Dialogs to select Boot0hfs or the other choices ?

Yes, you have it:

Just before installing Chameleon to the chosen target partition choose Custom Install button (bottom left).

aleister Crowley

aleister Crowley

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
thank you

im blind

abidal99

abidal99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
All installer's scripts are were written by El Coniglio?

ErmaC

ErmaC

• Supervisors
  • 4,634 posts

All installer's scripts are were written by El Coniglio?

In my first release yes but now no I revised that script.

-----

Hi iFabio

Thanks for re-typing the text in to the installer (sorry I didnt' get round to posting it). ;)
It looks great and works well. I even see more options now for the com.apple.Boot.plist! good thinking.

For each bootloader option, can you use a smaller font in the bottom text box and also add line breaks?
I ask because I made the text fit on 4 lines to try and make it more readable. like in the examples below.

Note: I have made a couple of corrections to the wording and highlighted them in blue and removed a word and highlighted that in red.

Thanks again for your work and these are just simple guidelines without adding too many words to keep it simple. And like I've said before, if anybody has better words / phrases for this then please submit your suggestions.

Hi blackosx!
I do the change in the text... but... the text look like not accept line breaks :(.

I have one request for you.
I would add at least one alternative to your wonderful "Default theme.
(I thought not to use the rest of the themes in the official version).
could provide an alternative that supports your theme graphics features added in rc5? like XMas?(to which add a script to set it as a theme in c.a.B.p)
Thanks

Fabio

ZenGiga

ZenGiga

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
One slight issue with the installer, it seems to skip over the destination selection! This resulted in me installing extra etc to my main partition, not the one I use for chameleon, and a non-booting system.

So I ran the installer a second time - which is when I noticed the skipping - and was able to go 'back' and select the right destination. It's possible I suppose that both times I clicked too many times on the previous screen...

Anyone else see this?

Otherwise installer is working nicely, including speedstep options for my Q6600.

Thank you.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,055 posts

One slight issue with the installer, it seems to skip over the destination selection! This resulted in me installing extra etc to my main partition, not the one I use for chameleon, and a non-booting system.

Hi Zengiga

Yes, you have to click to 'Change Install Location' before clicking 'Customize' otherwise the installer won't give you the option to change install location again.

Hi blackosx!
I do the change in the text... but... the text look like not accept line breaks :D.

Hi Fabio

Thanks for trying to add line breaks in to the text. But if it won't allow it then we'll have to leave it :P

I have one request for you.
../snip/..
could provide an alternative that supports your theme graphics features added in rc5? like XMas?

Sure. I can do a new theme :) but I am leaving tonight for a break so I won't be able to look at it until I come back in 8 days.

Did you suggest the Xmas theme because it's bright and colourful? If I do a theme with a background then it won't fit every screen resolution. The only way for that to work would be for me to supply a theme folder for each different resolution and the installer to give the option for the user to select the theme at the correct resolution for their system. It's more work for me to create the themes, and more work for you to change the installer script but it can be done.

Have a think and maybe collect some ideas/pics/screenshots of what you would like the theme to look like so when I come back I will have something to work with. I ask because it takes many, many hours sometimes to put a theme together and then only to find people want to change it. :P

I look forward to seeing some ideas when I return and we can get to work.

Regards

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,836 posts
Hi Fabio, thanks for the installers, great work.

In current revision (494) the boot0 option says "This install option activates you selected target partition."

but it actually does not, the post install script just writes boot0, boot1h and boot.

scrax

scrax

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Hi blackosx!
I do the change in the text... but... the text look like not accept line breaks :(.

try /n

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,880 posts

Hi Fabio, thanks for the installers, great work.

In current revision (494) the boot0 option says "This install option activates you selected target partition."

but it actually does not, the post install script just writes boot0, boot1h and boot.

Yep, that an big prob if this installer is used on partitions without any part is activated or an partition is active but not that one selected in the installer.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy