Snow Leopard Graphics Update 1.0

143 posts in this topic

Before patch Xbench OpenGL score 261.91, with patch 310.66. Cinebench 11.5 OpengGL before 32.26, now 35.52. Don't have an exact before number for Cinebench 10 OpenGL but I remember it being about 7000, now up to 9760.

Im using a bone stock PC EVGA 285 with graphics string in my boot.plist

Im not sure of any instability issues. I played SC2 last night for about an hour without a hick up, but each system/setup is a balance of different factors.

I have a standard PC version Zotac GTX 285 using string injection of asere bootloader, backing up system now, before trying the new update. I'll need to revert if it breaks CUDA for my CS5 apps.

EDIT -- This update makes now difference for me. Identical cinebench Framerates eg 14.5 as MacPro4,1 and 30.18 as MacPro3,1. I get a prompt to install a (non exisitant) update for CUDA on boot, but mecury still work in CS5.

So this is a weird one.

asus gtx260 and I get the cuda pop up too. Even worst => I got a crash in system profiler when I click graphics/display. Of course, I still have qe/ce and I can see it under pci cards.

Deleted com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist but still crashes.

Major issues here with Gigabyte Radeon 4850 512MB; installing update resulted in graphical garbage after the Apple logo disappeared. Started up in safe mode and installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Radeon 4800 10.6.4 kexts again, resulting in kernel panics. Argh :thumbsup_anim:

Started up in Safe Mode and installed netkas' update -

http://netkas.org/?p=515

And thanks to him, all back to normal. Since I couldn't see the SL Graphics Update 1.0 installing, I don't know if it actually updated - however, it is no longer available in Software Update, so I assume it installed.

JB

Major issues here with Gigabyte Radeon 4850 512MB; installing update resulted in graphical garbage after the Apple logo disappeared. Started up in safe mode and installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Radeon 4800 10.6.4 kexts again, resulting in kernel panics. Argh ;)

Started up in Safe Mode and installed netkas' update -

http://netkas.org/?p=515

And thanks to him, all back to normal. Since I couldn't see the SL Graphics Update 1.0 installing, I don't know if it actually updated - however, it is no longer available in Software Update, so I assume it installed.

JB

Most (or all?) 4850 cards needs ATI4800Controller.kxet, ATIFramebuffer.kext, and ATISupport.kext from 10.6.2,

I guess you forget to backup them.

openglextview1064.png

capturadetela20100820s1.png

yel06.png

Byrd

HD 4850

1- use the kext legacyati4800controller.kex (E/E or S/L/E)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=59328

2- Graphicsenabler

Use Lizard

http://www.mediafire.com/?r78t2eogr4ba55b

2a-Auto detect value

2b-GraphicsInjection

2c-save

lizard.png

REBOOT

this is added in boot.plist

"I still need to plug in an DVI->VGA adapter on the unused DVI port. Try this if you get a black screen instead of proper graphics." 10.6.5 --> fixed

EDIT -- This update makes no difference for me. Identical cinebench Framerates eg 14.5 as MacPro4,1 and 30.18 as MacPro3,1. I get a prompt to install a (non exisitant) update for CUDA on boot, but mecury still work in CS5.

So this is a weird one.

UPDATE: I've now also tried turning off graphics enabler and using a gfx string generated via aquamacs guide. the string works but same 50% reduction in frame rate as MacPro4,1.

mobo GA-EX58-UD5

Gfx: Zotac GTX285 1gb

Asere BL, with d00ds DSDT mods.

Im using a bone stock PC EVGA 285 with graphics string in my boot.plist

Im not sure of any instability issues. I played SC2 last night for about an hour without a hick up, but each system/setup is a balance of different factors.

Would you post your graphics string?

I installed Snow Leopard Graphics Update 1.0

It updates the Nvidia drivers from 19.5.8f01 to: 19.5.9f02 and CUDA will prompt for an update with these drivers (if you have CUDA installed) but an update is not available yet. This issue is well known on NVidia Forum but till now

without solution.

In my case I loose hardware accelerated Mercury playback engine in Premiere CS5. And need to reinstall Aperture.

After that I reverted to old 19.5.8f01 Apple driver and everything is OK as before.

Would you post your graphics string?

Certainly, its the string included in DD's Script.

EFI_string.txt

For some reason GraphicsEnabler never worked for me so I've always had to use the EFI string.

Also I just checked on CUDA in my preferences and a new update is out 3.1.14 I'll report back if it changes anything.

Edit:

No noticeable improvements performance wise, but nothing broken either, at least for me.

Certainly, its the string included in DD's Script.

EFI_string.txt

For some reason GraphicsEnabler never worked for me so I've always had to use the EFI string.

Also I just checked on CUDA in my preferences and a new update is out 3.1.14 I'll report back if it changes anything.

Edit:

No noticeable improvements performance wise, but nothing broken either, at least for me.

The CUDA update improves performance slightly for me.

I had experimented with the same EFI string, but without performance improvement.

My theory is that your EVGA vendor ID is being picked up by the driver, but my Gigabyte one isn't.

Are you using the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext from 10.6.3 or 4?

Would you run the following command and attach the output (or just the display@0 and subtree section of the output)?

ioreg -lS -w0 >out.txt

The CUDA update improves performance slightly for me.

I had experimented with the same EFI string, but without performance improvement.

My theory is that your EVGA vendor ID is being picked up by the driver, but my Gigabyte one isn't.

Are you using the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext from 10.6.3 or 4?

Would you run the following command and attach the output (or just the display@0 and subtree section of the output)?

ioreg -lS -w0 >out.txt

I think this is what your wanting, let me know if you need more of the txt file.

out.rtf

I did get about a half a fps improvement but I figured that is within any given test tolerance.

As far as kexts go im only using 3

fakesmc (from your power management thread for fan control)

ALC889a

RealtekR1000SL

I've got a Galaxy GT240, and get screen garbage (all white with speckles) once the machine finishes booting - but it's running, and I can ssh in. Safe Mode boots OK (sorta) - any suggestions which kexts to remove to get it working at least as well as before the update? :D

I was looking forward to better Aperture performance, too. :(

I think this is what your wanting, let me know if you need more of the txt file.

out.rtf

I did get about a half a fps improvement but I figured that is within any given test tolerance.

As far as kexts go im only using 3

fakesmc (from your power management thread for fan control)

ALC889a

RealtekR1000SL

Thanks, would you attach the Info.plist from your AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext?

Ditto for me. I don't seem to have an AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext, at least not in the system profiler kext list.

Does anybody know if this update has fixed the Nvidia performance issue for real MacPro4,1s?

Ditto for me. I don't seem to have an AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext, at least not in the system profiler kext list.

Does anybody know if this update has fixed the Nvidia performance issue for real MacPro4,1s?

No, but removing AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext has the same effect as using MacPro3,1.

No, but removing AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext has the same effect as using MacPro3,1.

What 'effect' is that?

I've been using MacPro3.1 for my Pentium D D945GCZ ICH7 system with 9500GT video, but have lately been wondering if it was the right choice.