fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

Hi to all

Could this method work with 2 or more Fermi cards in the Hackintosh ?

I wonder to know could it be worked if I build a NEW Hackintosh formed with Fermi cards and SLI.

Thank you to all if you can answer my question.

hi. im still a bit new to all this and only been successful with easy to use one click setups, such as kakewalk installer for USB or DVD method, iatkos, etc...

i had 10.6 snow leopard installed just fine with my gtx 275. now that i moved to a gtx 470 like most users here, my mac OS did not boot. it crashed on the splash screen, obviously due to the GPU upgrade.

i understand this topic relates to geting the gtx 470 working, but the first thing it tells you to do is install 10.6.4

but how can i do this? i cant get to any installer. unless this tutorial relates to a certain installer package?

and if anyone could please kindly give me a simple step by step rundown on what to do and how i would really appreciate the time and help as i am unfamiliar with everything explained in a lot of the tutorials here. the guides here quite advance and seem to jump to areas i do not understand

please if anyone can explain how i am to install 10.6 then get the gtx 470 working at its correct resolution it would be great.

thank you and please feel free to send me a PM if prefered

i had 10.6 snow leopard installed just fine with my gtx 275. now that i moved to a gtx 470 like most users here, my mac OS did not boot. it crashed on the splash screen, obviously due to the GPU upgrade.

i understand this topic relates to geting the gtx 470 working, but the first thing it tells you to do is install 10.6.4 but how can i do this? i cant get to any installer. unless this tutorial relates to a certain installer package?

and if anyone could please kindly give me a simple step by step rundown on what to do and how i would really appreciate the time and help as i am unfamiliar with everything explained in a lot of the tutorials here. the guides here quite advance and seem to jump to areas i do not understand

please if anyone can explain how i am to install 10.6 then get the gtx 470 working at its correct resolution it would be great.

thank you and please feel free to send me a PM if prefered

Head over to tonymacx86's blog. He has something called [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] which lets you install OS X off of the retail DVD. He also has an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] experimental on his forums for the GTX 400 series. It should let you boot into the installer with the GTX 470. If it does not, I suggest you just put the old card back in and install with this card, and then update to the new drivers and change out your card.

Hi guys there are any solution for the V-Sync on the center of the screen??

Thanks for help!

Frank802! :(

I don't believe that people have gotten this fixed yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

sry for double post, but this seems to be a major update:

10.6.5/10H525 geforce driver was updated to version "1.6.20.39 (256.00.05a13)"! yes, R256 based driver ;)

this ought to perform way better on fermi cards (nvdagf100hal.kext wasn't included btw), but as always i can't test it right now :D i will do so tomorrow or on monday.

no new extensions btw., but 8x multi-sampling is possible now :)

sry for double post, but this seems to be a major update:

10.6.5/10H525 geforce driver was updated to version "1.6.20.39 (256.00.05a13)"! yes, R256 based driver :)

this ought to perform way better on fermi cards (nvdagf100hal.kext wasn't included btw), but as always i can't test it right now :) i will do so tomorrow or on monday.

no new extensions btw., but 8x multi-sampling is possible now :)

So does that mean with this update, if I have a hackintosh up and running, can I drop in a fermi (GTX4XX) video card, and it'll just work? I built my machine recently, but I bought a nVidia 9500GT because i wanted to wait until the fermi was better supported :-D

If you have fermi, do not install 10.6.5 yet or you will brick your system. Tombuntu did you look at -v during boot, there were all kinds of NVDAGF100Hal error messages. I am currently installing to a fresh disk to do some experimentation.

If you have fermi, do not install 10.6.5 yet or you will brick your system. Tombuntu did you look at -v during boot, there were all kinds of NVDAGF100Hal error messages. I am currently installing to a fresh disk to do some experimentation.

Actually, it didn't even get to that part. The kernel panicked at AppleACPIPlatform or something like that.

-Tom

Thanks for all this info! I got it working, and am amazed these fermi's are up and running so quickly after release. Props to everyone.

Couple of questions:

1. I have a post I meant to put here, but it's in "New User Lounge" because I can't post new topics anywhere else yet - basically I have a 260 as a secondary card and with it installed the 480 blackscreens at desktop. Can I force SL to ignore the second card? Topic details here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1&hl=gtx480.

2. Any support for the HDMI audio device? Also is output via the mini-hdmi, or dual output (DVI-i + DVI-i) supported?

Thanks again!

update 2010/08/03:

• added fermi vram detection (props go to the linux nouveau driver and chrisbmr and his nvc0 patch)
  • added rom version detection (cosmetic, but still nice to know)
  • added fermi quadros device ids (still working on sub-device id recognition)
  • fermi package 2010/08/03 is based on a wild mixture of 10.6.4+macmini+imac+nvidia kexts
  • bootloader is based on chameleon svn r301 trunk, diff: fermi_20100803_diff.txt

update 2010/07/15: added gtx 460 + fermi tesla bootloader support

update 2010/06/18: it's finally working :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

howto (follow the links if you don't know what i mean):

1. install 10.6.4

2. grab fermi package 2010/08/03 from here (mirrors are welcome):

3. install bootloader located in bootloader/ (if you don't have 'fdisk440', use normal 'fdisk' for now; you already should have installed chameleon before this)

4. add this to your boot plist if you haven't done so already:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>

5. copy all kexts from kexts/ to /System/Library/Extensions (replace old ones)

6. copy all frameworks from frameworks/ to /System/Library/Frameworks (replace old ones)

7. clear caches and reboot, or reboot and ignore caches on boot-up

note: although the bootloader and nvdagf100hal.kext may support your device, os x in general (all other geforce kexts) may not!

(x8 due to crappy board settings ...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

old howto and other stuff ...

Does a Gainward GTX 465 work with these drivers?

And also, have any of you checked what drivers are in the 10.6.5 beta release?

Id rather like to use a GTX 460 than a 465, but if only 465 will work i'd have to go with that.

Hi there,

I just set up my hackintosh again after buying a GTX 470 - I use 3 displays connected to 2 video-cards: one GTX470 and one GT240. I tried a lot of different setups (only gtx 470, both cards etc) but now I don't know how to get higher resolutions than 1024x768 or even multi-display support. I did everything as it was explained with the "fermi package" from 2010/08/03. - installed chameleon, the kext files, frameworks and cleared caches...

When I boot up with only one video card (the GTX 470) installed, the system shows the card as GeForce GTX 470 (0x06cd) as well as memory = 1280 mb, but only 1024x768 is working and only one dvi port

when i put in my second card (GT240) and boot up, the memory of the GTX 470 is shown as 0 mb, but still I'm stuck at 1024x768 and only one dvi port of the first card (gtx470) is working. :)

I reinstalled everything but i found no way to get higher res. or the 2nd dvi port working.. :) ... has everyone else had this prob with the drivers from 2010/08/03 or is there a way to fix this?

It would be great if someone could help me..

Thanks!

@hyver

I think you have to have two identical cards for dual screen to work on OS X?

I have two 8800 cards that only have different memory (512mb vs 384mb) that work perfect separately in OS X but _not_ together, however, they work just fine in windows.

@hyver

I think you have to have two identical cards for dual screen to work on OS X?

I have two 8800 cards that only have different memory (512mb vs 384mb) that work perfect separately in OS X but _not_ together, however, they work just fine in windows.

I read that with some setups multiple video cards are working (each card separate - not SLI)... but thats another problem...

Even with one single card installed - i cant get higher res. than 1024x768 and

the second dvi port is also not working :(

If this helps, I'm using: Asus P5Q Deluxe, Intel Q6600, 8GB DDR2-800 and a Colorful GTX 470

I used.. EVGA GTX 470.

Work fine...

First.. 10.6.4 update.

1. Installed the aserebln_fermi bootloader

2. Real Mac Nvidia Driver install ( Kext -> kexthelper )

3. Added to the NVDAGF100Hal.kext & NVDAResman.kext the following ID:

0x06cd010de&0xfff0ffff (I have the 470)

4. Reboot

If HDMI use... NVCAP use..

Boot options.

I cannot get this method to work, and you have crossed out the second line with no explanation. could you please help me out with the steps you are currently using to run the EVGA GTX 470? I either get no qe/ci, or if I enter the proper ids (0x06cd10de&0xfff0ffff - assuming the 0 in the center of that was a typo?) then when i boot I get no video to the screen at all, though the system responds to keystrokes and otherwise works fine. as expected, I also get this result(no video) when loading the nvfermi.fix.kext from /E/E/

Does it work with qe/ci though ha?

Im not really sure. It could be that this thread has blown up and therefore i missed something due to its size, but It appears as though there is not yet an explanation for why the system loads NVDAGF100 and then proceeds to send no signal at all to the monitor

Im not really sure. It could be that this thread has blown up and therefore i missed something due to its size, but It appears as though there is not yet an explanation for why the system loads NVDAGF100 and then proceeds to send no signal at all to the monitor

Yes...

I've follow the steps, but every time my monitor shutdown...

I don't understand if this is only my problem !

Ok, so here's what I've gained so far, I tried my GTX 470s out via Graphics Enabler and it was so-so, EFI strings worked the best for me, only drawbacks are slow opengl/cl performance as opposed to what the FERMI should be achieving; the only other "bugs" are lack of VSYNC, and second DVI ports can't change resolution at all, I have to set it via primary every time (Yes, I'm aware this is all common knowledge now, but I'm only mentioning it to describe my experience) . I used an MSI bios which proved most stable for me. Also I discovered that the screen tearing is a rather larger issue than I'd previously thought, my 9800 GT was getting broken vsync as well, I finally figured out it has nothing to do with the frameworks, or any opengl updates, or cuda dev driver, all of the 10.6.4 or later NVIDIA kexts result in screen tearing after the gpu is stressed enough, so I've fixed all of my tearing issues by using the NVIDIA kexts from the 10.6.3 update combined with the newer frameworks, I haven't gotten around to messing with this solution and the GTX 470, so far using 10.6.3 files only resolved issues with my 9800 GT, hopefully Apple won't break vsync again in 10.6.5, I'd hate to keep reverting kexts every time an update is released. (And they say MS has issues....whatever) If anyone else has figured out a way to use the latest kexts and not have tearing, please shout out.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I never had the black screen issue on boot, only time screen went semi black was in some games. (GTX 470 not 9800)

Yes...

I've follow the steps, but every time my monitor shutdown...

I don't understand if this is only my problem !

I have been frustrated with this problem for days and i finally have my gtx 470 working at full res!

1. install SL and update to 10.6.4 but dont reboot to install the update.

2. Download the fermi package posted by CMF on page one.

3. install the kexts in the package with KextHelper B7 and then copy the frameworks provided to System/library/frameworks

4. Install the Myhack 1.1.4 bootloader and before starting the install, hit customize and under extra, check the graphics enabler box.

5. reboot ignoring caches and it should work flawlessly. :D

Myhack installer -- http://www.mediafire.com/?gk941po72op3ex9

Fermi Package from page 1 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NIO5MC6F

post-594344-1281974225_thumb.png

I have been frustrated with this problem for days and i finally have my gtx 470 working at full res!

1. install SL and update to 10.6.4 but dont reboot to install the update.

2. Download the fermi package posted by CMF on page one.

3. install the kexts in the package with KextHelper B7 and then copy the frameworks provided to System/library/frameworks

4. Install the Myhack 1.1.4 bootloader and before starting the install, hit customize and under extra, check the graphics enabler box.

5. reboot ignoring caches and it should work flawlessly. :(

Myhack installer -- http://www.mediafire.com/?gk941po72op3ex9

Fermi Package from page 1 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NIO5MC6F

post-594344-1281974225_thumb.png

Tested right now with 460GTX 786MB Gainward

Not working 

Blank screen afer booting :-(

8800GT working flawlessly

Greetz