• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

Mushishi

Mushishi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
Well i do fully understand that it is implemented to keep spam bots away, but as i did point out before, there is allready one user that did make 5 posts in old treads (Dead for around 1 year) with comments that are useless just to get his 5 posts.

i did even find one hijacking another tread today because he could not make a new tread. He was a new user with one post only. So i still like the plan with all users can read but you need to show you have basic knolage before you can post and that is not something a 5 post rule can do.

gwmbox

gwmbox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Can I suggest this to still be done, I had the same issue but until I found this thread I was stumped.

Cheers

Ok, this explains things... might want to change the error message from "You do not have permission.... " to something that informs new users of such...

Just my 2p.

TomHoward

TomHoward

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have to confess that it is kind of difficult to find five constructive things to say as a new user - I have a small software problem that I'd ideally like to start a topic about but I'm having to either wait until I've been able to be of use elsewhere, or alternatively post useless comments until I reach the appropriate post count.

Do you think it could be reduced to three posts? That's still enough to filter out those registering just to post one question and never return, but it does cut down the amount of junk just to boost post count by 40%.

outleradam

outleradam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I agree

ArchiMark

ArchiMark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Like others, it's not obvious about this new policy...as I had registered before new policy, it was not obvious from error message as to why I couldn't make a new topic...puzzled, I sent message to admin...who has not responded...luckily, I found this thread and figured out why I couldn't post...

Would be great if error message explained policy...

Thanks!

disarli

disarli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This requirement for five posts in existing threads is rather bizarre, but I guess different people have different ideas.

Almost two decade old list management software, LISTSERV, solved this problem in a scalable way long, long ago. New users are moderated ("on review") until they have posted some N times. While on review, their posts flow by a moderator before they go public. Everyone else posts directly to the public. Only extremely dedicated spammers bother posting on topic, relevant posts a few times to make it to direct posts. Anyone, spammers or trouble makers, going off the rails is put back on review. The review queue is routed to a team of moderators, round robin, if necessary to handle the load. It is really sad to see modern forum software that promotes garbage posts in existing threads instead of directly addressing the root of the problem.

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Administrators
  • 1,498 posts

This requirement for five posts in existing threads is rather bizarre, but I guess different people have different ideas.

Almost two decade old list management software, LISTSERV, solved this problem in a scalable way long, long ago. New users are moderated ("on review") until they have posted some N times. While on review, their posts flow by a moderator before they go public. Everyone else posts directly to the public. Only extremely dedicated spammers bother posting on topic, relevant posts a few times to make it to direct posts. Anyone, spammers or trouble makers, going off the rails is put back on review. The review queue is routed to a team of moderators, round robin, if necessary to handle the load. It is really sad to see modern forum software that promotes garbage posts in existing threads instead of directly addressing the root of the problem.

Thanks for your input! While this hasn't worked as intended and it is under review right now, we are at a loss of possible solutions. The root of the problem (and also the motivation for implementing this) was being unable to cope with the relatively small group of active moderators. The solution you presented has definitely been on our radar, it just faces the same problem as having no system in place. We won't be able to keep up with the new content as fast as necessary. Hopefully we will be able to get an efficient system in place in the near future to make it easy for everyone. If anyone has any possible suggestions then we'd be more than glad to include them in our future changes pool.
Thanks,
iPoco

DhRuV94

DhRuV94

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Computers.... DRUMS!, Guitar, and in overall... Technology =)
aw man seriously? ive been trying to make a topic but i couldnt, i joined this forum to help people install Snowleopard on their dell laitude e6500 succesfully. and i cant even do that lol... cant i have permission or something to start one? because all the existing ones suck, and many users cant achieve a almost perfect install with the guides .

some one help please.

MC Gamer

MC Gamer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Even as a new member, I am not angry at this at all. I run my own forums and love restricting users. Else everything would be a spam fest. Good idea admins! :wacko:

iBdb

iBdb

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

aw man seriously? ive been trying to make a topic but i couldnt, i joined this forum to help people install Snowleopard on their dell laitude e6500 succesfully. and i cant even do that lol... cant i have permission or something to start one? because all the existing ones suck, and many users cant achieve a almost perfect install with the guides .

some one help please.

Hi DhRuV94,

Welcome to this fantastic site,
Why don't you search all topics to do with your hardware write a short post to let people know
that you will shortly write a new guide and post for their type hardware. And or help a couple of people out (like this). Before you know you'll have the min required post's for you to start your new topic. Sorry to have to state obvious but a quick read of forum rules and you would of figured
this out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy