Best Laptops With Full Hardware Support and Acceleration

jacob019

281 posts in this topic

My acer travelmate uses a 9700 ati radeon mobility card which works without any alterations in JaS 10.4.8 and JaS 10.4.9 SSE3 update with new 10.4.9 sse2 compatible kernel. I consider this laptop very compatible. Despite the sse2 pentium M cpu. Also wifi works with now

The only things NOT working are the IR and the PCMCIA PC slot - at least that's my experience when trying it with a wifi card that might not have been supported anyways. But in System Profiler the PCMCIA is not shown.

Gave it 90Gb of harddrive space and the rest is for WindowsXP Home. Thinking about switching over to Ubuntu instead of the XPHome, but only if the wifi is supported and I am not sure it is yet...

The problem with those laptops is that they don't work unless you start them with an external monitor plugged in. There is no fix for the problem and I consider it big enough to call those laptops non-working.

Acer Aspire (at least 3680) don't need to plugin external monitor. However, most of the newer release (same model) have problem with ethernet and wireless card. So cannot include to the list.

Gateway MX-8738 $699 brand new 1.8 DualCore, 1gb ram, 533mhz fsb, 256 shared with 64 dedicated vram, 17" wxga+ screen, 802.11g and all the other goodies. One thing i like about this laptop is that it comes with a pcmcia card slot instead of pci express and used mini pcie instead of mini pci. Everything works. Full Hardware Graphic Acceleration and all resolutions available.via GMA 950 (no need to use external monitor), touchpad and keyboard works native (must choose Plug N Play - Other in bios). Wireless works with new 8187B realtek driver for osx 10.4. Sound needs the patcher and config txt. Ethernet works out of the box.

What doesn't work - TV OUT :)

If you want a $700 mac book pro this is it. I upgraded mine to 2 gb of ram for 100 dollars (it uses two 512 sticks.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to report that my HP dv6100 CTO is 98% working using Jas 10.4.8 and the 10.4.9 update in the genius bar. The only things that I haven't figured out is sleep (but I'm guessing I could resolve that if I really needed to) and the card slot on the side, used for sd cards and other things that I never use. Anyway, here are the specs:

• Intel T7200 Core2Duo
  • nVidia GeForce Go 7400
  • Dell 1390 wireless card
  • Not sure what kind of ethernet, but it worked out of the box
  • Audio, using plantronics USB device
  • CD/DVD burner

This is in my opinion, the ideal Hacbook. It is blazing fast and works perfectly; it only set me back $950 on ebay. The only downside is it's weight, but I'd rather carry an extra pound or two than spend $2000+ on a macbook pro.

I highly recommend this machine or any other dv6000 for a fully working hackbook. Thanks to everyone who helped make this work!

Compaq V6346EA

Uphuck 10.4.9, when installing select universal core 3 and only the intel LAN and battery drivers. Selecting other drivers resulted in OSX not starting up.

- Video (Intel 950) works perfect (1280*800)

- Onboard lan works

- WIFI does not work

- Touchpad, USB, Battery works

- Audio works (only audio out, no headphones)

Toshiba A135-S4656,Uphuck 1.4i r3 (10.4.9)

Working out of the box:

Video (GMA950)

Network (R1000)

PowerManagementBundle

Working with additional patch:

Wireless (Atheros 500X)

It came with a celeron, but I installed a Core 2 Duo, so speedstep works now as well

Semi-working:

ALC862 - Azalia Audio driver (speakers work, volume control works, headphones don't)

Not working:

S3 sleep

$350 for the laptop, $50 for the CPU on eBay, and $40 for an extra GB of RAM....I'm happy!

I also have the Gateway MX-8738 works great. I highly recommend it I got mine from Best Buy on sale for $650.

WORKING

GMA950

Sound (mic NOT working)

LAN

Wireless

Both Cores detected.

DVD-RW working only tested with Toast.

SVGA only tested in Dual Monitor mode.

Firewire

USB

NOT WORKING

S-Video

Memory Card Reader

• 1 month later...
The is a fix for the Intel 900-950 laptops guys, you have to short out pins 1&6 and 2&12. this fixes the problem with laptops always wanting to boot to the external vga port. Once you got that working just go to your prefereces and mirror your screens. it works because im using it now :)

by the way, my hp nx6110 is fully working, wireless, QE and CI, Powermanagement hack and all.

Hi, could somebody tell me what this power management hack is and where I can get it?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried installing or upgrading to leopard on an Acer 3680? If so, how did it go? Also, let me know if I'm way off base. I haven't been keeping up with the latest on osx86 leopard.

Another question on the 3680... can it do video out to a cinema display at 1920 x 1200?

Thanks

12.1" : Packard-Bell BU-45 notebook :(

Everything works right out of the box except the dang intel3945 wifi :offtopic:

The intel wifi card is located under the keyboard , easy to replace .. but I don't know which one to buy (dell 1390 or atheros )

I also have the Gateway MX-8738 works great. I highly recommend it I got mine from Best Buy on sale for $650.

WORKING

GMA950

Sound (mic NOT working)

LAN

Wireless

Both Cores detected.

DVD-RW working only tested with Toast.

SVGA only tested in Dual Monitor mode.

Firewire

USB

NOT WORKING

S-Video

Memory Card Reader

Sounds like a nice setup. Did you try the file sharing, or printer sharing with it?

The 8738 does have the mini firewire port, and according the above post by johokti it is working. I haven't had a chance to even start up my new 8738. What is the best strategy to start out with? Resize the existing Vista partition and make some room for installing osx (which version?) and I guess, xp. Or reformat the drive. Nice that it comes with a 160GB sata so lots of room although I think it's a deathstar drive, o well.

Do either of these "Black Friday" deals from Best Buy look like good possibilities for OSX86?

Toshiba Satellite 530 - A135-S7403 $229 w/ free printer

Toshiba @ Best Buy 01

Toshiba @ Best Buy 02

Sony 15.4" Laptop w/1GB RAM, 120GB HD, DVD Burner (VGN-NR110E/S) $399

Sony @ Best Buy

If not, I'll be taking a closer look at the cheap Acers.

Which is these laptops is the closest to full compatability with leopard:

Aspire 5610z-2966

Aspire 5570

Gateway MX-8738

Gateway MX8715 (to old hard to locate)

Aspire 9420-6775 (does not appear to be a US model) Also Intel Wifi

HP dv6100 CTO (also hard to locate for sale)

Can anyone give me feedback I'm looking at buying a sub $1,000.00 USD laptop for leopard.

I would like as much functionality as possible out of the box. Must haves would be LCD working, sound, Pcmica (ify) USB/firewaire, touchpad, speedstep/power management, DVD/CD burning, wifi/eithernet (could get USB card no biggie I use wifi).

Can anyone help me decide? MUCH APPRICATED!! Also would like to know in general what you think of the laptop, performance & benchmarks if any.