1469 replies to this topic

newnekton1

newnekton1

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Thanks Dood,

It's been a long day! Yes, I mean the RealtekR1000SL.kext. The current version is not working with this RTL8111E on the X58-UD5.

I have tried various legacyHDA kexts and AppleHDA.kexts but no joy with sound yet although all the hardware shows up in More Info.

Realtek1000SL.kext or RealtekR1000SL.kext?
I took a look at Bit Shoveler's RealtekR1000SL.kext source, and the Realtek RTL8111E doesn't seem to be supported.
I'll ask him what is needed for this support.

This machine is really giving me a hard time. After running fine (ignoring missing sound and network) for about 3 hours through a 10.6.3 upgrade, Safari 5 upgrade and iTunes 9.1.1 upgrade with just 4 GB, it suddenly went to sleep and when I pressed a key it crashed and now the hard disk is toasted again. It is like something gets written that damages the boot sector. I have never seen this in a Hack or Mac before.

Thanks Dood,

It's been a long day! Yes, I mean the RealtekR1000SL.kext. The current version is not working with this RTL8111E on the X58-UD5.

I have tried various legacyHDA kexts and AppleHDA.kexts but no joy with sound yet although all the hardware shows up in More Info.

gandem

gandem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hi d00d.

Many thanks for all of your hard work on these boards. I have the EX58-UD5 board, and it has been working flawlessly for many months with one exception. I cannot get sleep to work unless I manually execute, or schedule a sleep occurrence. Auto sleep with inactivity does not work, but the display will. Have been using your i7950 dsdt with three changes for audio, network, and multi-graphics. Was wondering if you can think of anything obvious that I am missing?

foraging_ferret

foraging_ferret

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just dropping by to say that my 10.6.4 update went smoothly using d00d's DSDT and Software Update.

d00d

d00d

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Yes. Here is the legacy kext I took the info from:

You could try Rankrotten's LegacyHDA.kext for the Realtek ALC889 (post 2506);
http://www.insanelym...p...097&st=2505
I assume he also bin patched AppleHDA.kext with 8908ec10.

Hi d00d.

Many thanks for all of your hard work on these boards. I have the EX58-UD5 board, and it has been working flawlessly for many months with one exception. I cannot get sleep to work unless I manually execute, or schedule a sleep occurrence. Auto sleep with inactivity does not work, but the display will. Have been using your i7950 dsdt with three changes for audio, network, and multi-graphics. Was wondering if you can think of anything obvious that I am missing?

Some third party kexts like the one installed by Temperature Monitor prevent auto sleep, even on my Apple hardware MacPro1,1.
Rather than do without Temperature Monitor, I just use KWS's PenntNeu-script.

Rankrotten

Rankrotten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Mac OS X 10.6.4 installs a new AppleHDA.kext overwriting the older version. Remember to binpatch the new 1.8.7.f1 to restore audio

jboehm

jboehm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
UPDATE: Looks like you already have this... Ah, well a second reference won't hurt.

d00d,

Your first post says your looking for a i7-980x DSDT.

I extracted the attached DSDT using 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 . My config was:

i7-980x
GA-EX58-UD5 rev1.0
BIOS 12

The raw DSDT is i7-980x-unedited-from64bUBT1004-dsdt.aml

I compile it via DSDTSE 1.4.3 and fixed a couple of compile errors.
i7-980x-postDSDTSE-dsdt.*
No other hand edits were made. Only the automated optimization done by DSDTSE.

Jon

Attached Files

newnekton1

newnekton1

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hi RR,

After a decent night of sleep and getting a new perspective on this board, I tried setting the HD to not spin down in Energy Saver and that seems to have fixed the problem of damage to the boot sector when it does spin down/sleep. It's a sticking plaster fix but it works for now.
I then upgraded to 10.6.4 and used the legacy kext from your Extra folder and the Apple HDA you sent me with the dsdt file as mentioned by Dood. It has stopped the sound error messages during the boot but I still cannot get any sound output—the sound screens look like the attachments.

Is there some patching I need to do?

Dood also found that the RealtekR1000SL. kext from bit shoveller does not support the RTL8111E on this board which is why no network—we are seeing if the kext can be modified. Does your version 1 board have the RTL8111E and how do you get a network connection?

Thanks for any advice.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 installs a new AppleHDA.kext overwriting the older version. Remember to binpatch the new 1.8.7.f1 to restore audio

Attached Files

newnekton1

newnekton1

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I just tried the following patch procedure on the 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext for the ALC889 on the X58A-UD5. Don't know if it will work!

Short tutorial how to patch the binary of applehda - necessary if you want to use applehda.kext 10.6.3 with legacy kext and dsdt patch if you have alc888 or alc889 audio codec (not necessary if you have alc889a codec):

download hexfiend Hex Editor - copy applehda 10.6.3 to your desktop - right click it - show package contents and go to the folder /Contents/MacOS
then open the applehda binary file located in this folder with hexfiend

for alc888

Search for 8508ec10 and replace with 8808ec10 (all 4 instances)

for Alc889

Search for 8508ec10 and replace with 8908ec10 (all 4 instances)

for AD2000B

Search for 8B19D411 and replace with 9B98D411 (all 4 instances)

Save the file and copy the binpatched applehda.kext into /System/Library/Extensions

Hi RR,

After a decent night of sleep and getting a new perspective on this board, I tried setting the HD to not spin down in Energy Saver and that seems to have fixed the problem of damage to the boot sector when it does spin down/sleep. It's a sticking plaster fix but it works for now.
I then upgraded to 10.6.4 and used the legacy kext from your Extra folder and the Apple HDA you sent me with the dsdt file as mentioned by Dood. It has stopped the sound error messages during the boot but I still cannot get any sound output—the sound screens look like the attachments.

Is there some patching I need to do?

Dood also found that the RealtekR1000SL. kext from bit shoveller does not support the RTL8111E on this board which is why no network—we are seeing if the kext can be modified. Does your version 1 board have the RTL8111E and how do you get a network connection?

Thanks for any advice.

5star

5star

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have read this string time and time again... I just have no experience with this stuff and the more I read, the more I realize that this is incredible information that I will most likely never be able to use.

I'm speaking up because I hope that isn't true and I'm missing something.

I have a 2-day-old Gigabyte X58-UD5, with a i7 920 that I setup with Kakewalk. I was under the assumption that if I setup with Kakewalk everything would be cool and pretty much OOB. And it kind of is... I mean, I am typing this from the computer afterall. But whe I did my software update I came up to 10.6.4 without realizing I was moving beyond what I think Kakewalk was built for.

I have 3 problems (that I know of)

1. I have no sound. I tried adding audio kexts via the kext utility and it wasn't doing it, so I started manually putting them into the extensions folder and before I knew it I was kp on every startup and just re-installed everything fresh. Now I'm leary of kexts (and quite honestly software updates)... but I did update again to 10.6.4 and now I have no sound again... but don't really know what to do about it. Since this method seems to get around kexts it seems like it would be really stable even with updates... am I right?

Is there a really simplified (possibly a video) tutorial on how to implement what d00d outlines? I know that what you put down is probably super straightforward, but I don't know any of the jargon, and/or the assumed knowledge (like what a dsdt is, let alone where to find it or what to do with it once I do). If I am incapable of implementing this, is there anyone that does it for hire via VNC or something?

2. I have no idea how hot my processor should be or how to be tracking it. Is there a common piece of software you all use to track it? I have the Corsair H-50, but beyond that I don't know how I'm performing.

3. I don't know what I don't know. I've used macs for years and I thought this was going to be more plug-and-play for someone like me, and I was wondering if there will ever be a point where I can just use this machine like a regular mac or do I need to have an ongoing battle with this machine? If so, I am going to have to have a few semesters at whatever school you all went to to learn all of this highly technical stuff.

I would sincerely appreciate your help. Am I beyond help?

newnekton1

newnekton1

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Some progress—I can now see all the audio hardware in About this Mac but still no Output and Input in SP Sound settings.
I have tried the Legacy889HDA.kext at Tony's. I have tried editing the 10.6.4 AppleHDA. kext as described above, I have tried RankRotten's LegacyHDA. kext. I have tried changing the HDEF code in the dsdt file as described at Tony's. I have tried RR's dsdt code unmodified—completely stumped.

Attached Files

Rankrotten

Rankrotten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
My audio has ID=889 in System Profiler, yours has ID=12?
Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_06_16_at_08.30.58.png   82.98KB   53 downloads

Here is the binpatched AppleHDA from 10.6.4 for the ALC 889
Attached File  AppleHDA.kext.zip   1.85MB   51 downloads

LegacyHDA in /Extra enables the pin configurations adding two other line outs. I'm sure this could be done in DSDT but the kext will override it anyway.

I did have working optical audio SPDIF but it no longer works, I must have made a change somewhere. Never mind as three line outs can be grouped together for multichannel 5.1 audio

The line outs correspond to the top row of three back panel analogue outputs: Centre / Sub LFE, Front L and R, Rear L and R and can be grouped together in the Audio MIDI application as an aggregate device feeding into a 5.1 audio amp

Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_06_16_at_09.01.50.png   103.49KB   41 downloads

newnekton1

newnekton1

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
First, many thanks for sticking with this RR.

I just reinstalled your legacyHDA.kext in /Extra and replaced my edited 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext with the one you posted in S/L/E then ran Kext utility to fix all permissions and caches, etc. However, About this Mac–More Info–Audio (built-in) still shows ID=12 not 889.

So there is something going on that I don't understand between your F3 bios and my FA bios (I am using your dsdt.aml file too).

Where does this ID=12 come from?

My audio has ID=889 in System Profiler, yours has ID=12?
Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_06_16_at_08.30.58.png   82.98KB   53 downloads

Here is the binpatched AppleHDA from 10.6.4 for the ALC 889
Attached File  AppleHDA.kext.zip   1.85MB   51 downloads

LegacyHDA in /Extra enables the pin configurations adding two other line outs. I'm sure this could be done in DSDT but the kext will override it anyway.

I did have working optical audio SPDIF but it no longer works, I must have made a change somewhere. Never mind as three line outs can be grouped together for multichannel 5.1 audio

The line outs correspond to the top row of three back panel analogue outputs: Centre / Sub LFE, Front L and R, Rear L and R and can be grouped together in the Audio MIDI application as an aggregate device feeding into a 5.1 audio amp

Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_06_16_at_09.01.50.png   103.49KB   41 downloads

Rankrotten

Rankrotten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

LegacyHDA in /Extra enables the pin configurations adding two other line outs. I'm sure this could be done in DSDT but the kext will override it anyway

Lets get rid of LegacyHDA in E/E and use the DSDT along with the binpatched AppleHDA in S/L/E

Make the following changes to Device (HDEF):

Device (HDEF)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
				Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (Package (0x02)
					{
						0x0D, 
						0x05
					})
				}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x0A)
						{
							"built-in", 
							Buffer (One)
							{
								0x00
							}, 

"codec-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
							}, 

"layout-id", 
							/**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"device-type", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"Realtek ALC889"
							}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
							Buffer (Zero) {}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

What Audio ID: is listed now in System Profiler?

newnekton1

newnekton1

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
OK, RR—round 20.

I went back to first principles and started with a clean install using Kakewalk from a USB with OSX installer on it.
KW does not have the X58A-UD5 revision 2 so I chose X58A-UD7. It installed fine and I immediately updated to 10.6.4.

It booted fine with full QE/CI on the 4870 but no network or sound again. I then swapped the DSDT.aml file in E/E for the one you built for me and added your legacyHDA.kext and the 10.6.4 edited AppleHDA.kext. Fixed permissions and caches and rebooted and now I get ID=889 in Audio (built-in) like you have. However there are still no input output devices in SP Input and Output!!!!!!!!

Where to go from here?

First, many thanks for sticking with this RR.

I just reinstalled your legacyHDA.kext in /Extra and replaced my edited 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext with the one you posted in S/L/E then ran Kext utility to fix all permissions and caches, etc. However, About this Mac–More Info–Audio (built-in) still shows ID=12 not 889.

So there is something going on that I don't understand between your F3 bios and my FA bios (I am using your dsdt.aml file too).

Where does this ID=12 come from?

The Real Deal

The Real Deal

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 859 posts
10.6.4 applied. Everything is fine.

BIOS F13h out btw.

Rankrotten

Rankrotten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

OK, RR—round 20.
Where to go from here?

We both posted at the same time ^^ so perhaps you did not see my edited post just above yours. ;)
I have since added tonymac's Legacy889HDA.kext to E/E along with the HDEF edit and it has re-enabled my optical audio.

:D

Must have a poke around and see where it hooks into and try to add the code into binpatched AppleHDA for simplicity's sake.

/E/E only contains IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and the optional Legacy889HDA kexts now, its looking a bit bare in there with the new FakeSMC living in S/L/E

Emilo

Emilo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I just tested Open GL performance with CINEBENCH_11.529 after updating to 10.6.4.
The score went down dramatically from 37.4 to 14.6.
I have nVidia GTX 285 and Cuda 3.014 driver installed.

Can someone with the same card test Open GL performance on 10.6.4 ?

Godzillar

Godzillar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I can confirm that my GTX 285 is also significantly slower after 10.6.4 update.

scrimpy

scrimpy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have geekbench scores drop by around 800 - was around 14300 now 13600.

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
just updated to 10.6.4 - for some reason, my ethernet stopped working altogether, even though I have ethernet enabled in the DSDT (not in com.apple.boot.plist or with kext).

Couldn't explain it, so I gave up and re-installed the RTGNICv2.0.4.pkg realtek driver (which from what I can see just has the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in it)... now my ethernet's back...

But what I really don't understand, is there is *no* realtek .kext or AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in my S/L/E or *anywhere* - so how is this possible?

FWIW - here's the only extensions I could see in S/L/E that were modified in the 10.6.4 update:

System.kext
IOPCIFamily.kext
IONDRVSupport.kext
IOGraphicsFamily.kext
AudioAUUC.kext
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

I have since added tonymac's Legacy889HDA.kext to E/E along with the HDEF edit and it has re-enabled my optical audio.

I can confirm that the Legacy889HDA is necessary - I've been following your audio posts, as d00d's recent help with just patching the applehda didn't do anything. I had also not touched anything in DSDT for audio (step 14) as my board was different, and the instructions link specific to my board pointed to only using the patched AppleHDA and LegacyHDA - which didn't work.

d00d has indicated that no DSDT patching is necessary for audio if using those kexts, but for me, there was no audio at all - until I finally inserted rankrotten's DSDT edit for Device (HDEF). That, in combination with rankrotten's 10.6.4 patched AppleHDA and tonymac's Legacy889HDA has restored fully-functional audio - including digital encoded 5.1 s/pdif!

just to clarify, I'm on a X58A-UD3R REV2 board (which does have 889 audio), but these same fixes for the UD5 that most people have are working for me too.

/E/E only contains IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and the optional Legacy889HDA kexts now, its looking a bit bare in there with the new FakeSMC living in S/L/E

new FakeSMC? you mean the alterations in d00d's post #1? and why in S/L/E instead of E/E?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy