GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

As for the RTL8111e reawakening after sleep with the use of the modified R1000 kext in the IONetworking Plugins folder, I noticed that:

1) there was a 4-5 second hesitation signified mostly a lurching mouse pointer if the USB mouse was moved during this initial period, but that was only if the ethernet port was unconnected/unplugged. This minor problem went away if the ethernet port was connected to a router or switch, whereupon the ethernet port would wake up immediately and reconnect.

2) If the RingAccess.kext, used with the Mark-i temperature monitor application, was left in the E/E folder and active within extensions.mkext, SL would come out of sleep unpredictably within 10-15 minutes. This might not have anything to do with any ethernet wake-up issues, but I would eliminate such non-essential extensions to see if they make a difference.

I had nothing to do with any modification of the RealtekR1000 extension found within the Plugins folder of the Realtec_8111D_3264 download, but I did choose to copy this R1000 extension to the IONetworking plugins folder that came with my Snow Leopard install rather than replace the IONetworking extension with the one that came with this 3264 download. Doubt if this would make any difference, but...

Hi guys,

i use d00d's dsdt on a ud5/920/6gbocz/4870 with duvel300 restart fix, method b for audio and method a for network.

im running C2RC4 10.6.4 in 64bit with following kexts in e/e

ioahciblockstorageinjektor.kext from dd's script

jmicronata.kext from dd's script causes error after wake up "ioatacontroller device is blocking bus" looking for working version to get IDE-dvd online, but optical memory is kind of outdated anyways ;)

alc889a_v2.kext from aschar1

ati4800controller.kext from netkas 10.6.4 GraphicsUpdate1.0 package

fakesmc.kext rev391 with modification #13

"sudo chown root:admin /" will prevent "06/06/2009 17:47:13 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root." in the console

thanks to you guys for the time you spend on this project!

two small issues remain but i don't really mind:

#1 can anybody confirm 10 degrees plus cputemp using orangeiconfix.kext instead ioahciblockstorageinjektor.kext?

#2 any suggestions to get idle sleep working w/o penntneu script? tried removing almost all kexts, removing opticaldd, using istat 2.0 without s.m.a.r.t.

is working now try to figure what ironed it out. (maybe Biosupdate to 13j; uninstalling vmware 3.11, paragon ntfs 8, Adobe Air)

idle sleep working. delays 2 min after display goes to sleep. Paragon ntfs 8 prevents idle sleep, take heed of installing this.

with best regards

thanks again i love my rig

I updated the warning in post 1, and added a request;

Warning: 10.6.4 will severely decrease NVIDIA GPU performance.

Edit the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist's MacPro4,1 section and change Vendor10deDevice05e2 to Vendor10deDevice05e3.

The 05e3 part is for a GTX 285, see nvclock0.8b5_7-darwin/src/backend/info.c (link below) for others.

This will keep level 0 low power mode on gpu under low load after sleep and wake, but shader and memory will temporarily be stuck in level 2 high power mode.

However, if load is applied and then reduced, shader and memory will also correctly be at level 0 low power mode.

GPU temperatures are therefore less than using MacPro3,1, deleting AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext or using the one from 10.6.3.

Those solutions cause gpu, shader and memory to always run in level 2 high power mode.

Temperatures and clock speeds can be seen with nvclock, and for lower temperatures it's recommended to set fanspeed mode to auto with `nvclock -F auto -f' (needs to be set again after sleep and wake);

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1246

Request;

I neglected to backup my original Gigabyte GV-N285UD-1GH/F1 (nvclock: 62.00.50.00.01, ioreg: pci1458,34c9) BIOS before I flashed with one from EVGA for some tests.

If anyone with this card has some time, would you dump your BIOS with nvflash so that I can restore to my original BIOS?

Thanks in advance.

Windows;

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1824/...%20Windows.html

DOS;

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1825/...sh_5.95.01.html

First of all, thanks d00d for your amazing guide...

I edited my dsdt according your instructions and had 0 errors and 0 warnings. I am using Chameleon RC3 and Netkas 10.6, everything seems okay. The only estrange thing is my speedstep, sometimes seems to be working and sometimes not. I used mark-i to check, but I don't know why the CPU speed always shows 0. I have CPUPLimit 0x0 on ioreg. I guess speedstep sometimes works because my temps drop about 7 Celsius in some restarts and keep low. If I restart again the temp goes high about 7 Celsius. My BIOS has DVID, but it is "off" because I use my i7 920 at stock speed and undervolted most of time. The only way DVID gives me the option to change values is to put Vcore voltage to normal. At the moment my vcore voltage is set to 0.95 on bios with loadline off (iStat shows 0.89v)

My motherboard is GA-X58-UD4P with Bios F13 (I guess this bios is similar to UD5's F12)

I am using 10.6.4 64Bits and the kexts:

FakeSMC.kext Rev.391 http://www.kexts.com/view/446-fakesmc_rev.391.html (with plugin support) on S/L/E

RealtekR1000SL.kext on S/L/E

And the following kexts on Extra:

EvOreboot.kext to have restart working, because I assumed Chameleon RC3 and Netkas 10.6 need it, even with my edited DSDT.

HDAEnabler.kext and LegacyHDA.kext (Because using method D my sound seems ok on system profile, but doesn't show on under sound on System Preferences)

OrangeIconFix.kext

Any idea about what am I doing wrong? Why mark-i shows cpu speed 0 all the time? (The other parameters working fine)

Any advice will be welcome!!!

Thanks in advance.

1. I dont have these Gfx problems with 10.6.4 with my EVGA GTX275 (cinebench 11.5: 32,31 fps)

2. Simple way to binary patch AppleHDA in Terminal:

for alc889:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x89\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

for alc888:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x88\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

for AD2000B:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x19\xd4\x11|\x9b\x98\xd4\x11|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

First of all, thanks d00d for your amazing guide...

I edited my dsdt according your instructions and had 0 errors and 0 warnings. I am using Chameleon RC3 and Netkas 10.6, everything seems okay. The only estrange thing is my speedstep, sometimes seems to be working and sometimes not. I used mark-i to check, but I don't know why the CPU speed always shows 0. I have CPUPLimit 0x0 on ioreg. I guess speedstep sometimes works because my temps drop about 7 Celsius in some restarts and keep low. If I restart again the temp goes high about 7 Celsius. My BIOS has DVID, but it is "off" because I use my i7 920 at stock speed and undervolted most of time. The only way DVID gives me the option to change values is to put Vcore voltage to normal. At the moment my vcore voltage is set to 0.95 on bios with loadline off (iStat shows 0.89v)

My motherboard is GA-X58-UD4P with Bios F13 (I guess this bios is similar to UD5's F12)

I am using 10.6.4 64Bits and the kexts:

FakeSMC.kext Rev.391 http://www.kexts.com/view/446-fakesmc_rev.391.html (with plugin support) on S/L/E

RealtekR1000SL.kext on S/L/E

And the following kexts on Extra:

EvOreboot.kext to have restart working, because I assumed Chameleon RC3 and Netkas 10.6 need it, even with my edited DSDT.

HDAEnabler.kext and LegacyHDA.kext (Because using method D my sound seems ok on system profile, but doesn't show on under sound on System Preferences)

OrangeIconFix.kext

Any idea about what am I doing wrong? Why mark-i shows cpu speed 0 all the time? (The other parameters working fine)

Any advice will be welcome!!!

Thanks in advance.

The mark-i application only shows the default speed of the CPU at the top.

None of the changing fields show CPU speed, but they do show fan speed and temperature, and CPU voltage, multiplier and temperature.

1. I dont have these Gfx problems with 10.6.4 with my EVGA GTX275 (cinebench 11.5: 32,31 fps)

for alc889:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x89\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

for alc888:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x88\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

for AD2000B:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x19\xd4\x11|\x9b\x98\xd4\x11|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

Thanks for the quick audio edits.

Which slot is your GPU in; PCIEX16_1, PCIEX16_2 or PCIEX8_1?

Is your GPU stuck at level 2 high power like jhrfc in the SL Graphic Update 1.0 topic?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=228757

for alc889:

for alc888:

for AD2000B:

that is real neat

Gentlemen, I apologize if it was ... I have not found a ... what is the cause of the incorrect administration GPU temperature? see the screen
Does nvclock report a more reasonable temperature?

Does nvclock report a more reasonable temperature?

Thanks d00d on you can always count on! :) . / Nvclock-f-i -> here is even more interesting .... : P

-- General info --
Card: 		nVidia Geforce 9800GTX
Architecture: 	G92 A2
PCI id: 	0x612
GPU clock: 	738.000 MHz
Bustype: 	PCI-Express
-- Shader info --
Clock: 1836.000 MHz
Stream units: 128 (11111111b)
ROP units: 16 (1111b)
-- Memory info --
Amount: 	1024 MB
Type: 		256 bit DDR3
Clock: 		999.000 MHz
-- PCI-Express info --
Current Rate: 	16X
Maximum rate: 	16X
-- Sensor info --
Sensor: GPU Internal Sensor
GPU temperature: -390C
-- VideoBios information --
Version: 62.92.59.00.10
Signon message: GV-N98XPZL-1GH/F12 
Performance level 0: gpu 400MHz/shader 1200MHz/memory 800MHz/0.00V/100%
Performance level 1: gpu 740MHz/shader 1850MHz/memory 1000MHz/1.15V/100%
VID mask: 3
Voltage level 0: 0.95V, VID: 0
Voltage level 1: 1.00V, VID: 1
Voltage level 2: 1.05V, VID: 2
Voltage level 3: 1.10V, VID: 3

woot!?

I am using an app to generate a license. This app is trying to use my MAC Address to generate the license, but returns the message "Cannot retrieve MAC address". I am using the network method B (recompiled RealtekR1000SL.kext). My System Preferences/Network doesn't show Ethernet (en2) anymore. Now is only Ethernet, but into the System Profiler/Ethernet Cards, the BSD name still en2. By the way, the Mac Address is showing correctly on System Preferences/Network/Advanced/Ethernet.

Could the BSD name=en2 be the problem?

Any workaround?

Could be this license generator made for leopard and doesn't be able to retrieve MAC address on Snow Leopard?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

I updated the warning in post 1, and added a request;

Warning: 10.6.4 will severely decrease NVIDIA GPU performance.

Edit the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist's MacPro4,1 section and change Vendor10deDevice05e2 to Vendor10deDevice05e3.

The 05e3 part is for a GTX 285, see nvclock0.8b5_7-darwin/src/backend/info.c (link below) for others.

This will keep level 0 low power mode on gpu under low load after sleep and wake, but shader and memory will temporarily be stuck in level 2 high power mode.

However, if load is applied and then reduced, shader and memory will also correctly be at level 0 low power mode.

GPU temperatures are therefore less than using MacPro3,1, deleting AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext or using the one from 10.6.3.

Those solutions cause gpu, shader and memory to always run in level 2 high power mode.

Temperatures and clock speeds can be seen with nvclock, and for lower temperatures it's recommended to set fanspeed mode to auto with `nvclock -F auto -f' (needs to be set again after sleep and wake);

This doesn't work for my GTX470, so I assume that if I were to change the devid to 06cd (470), it wouldn't do anything either?

Thanks d00d on you can always count on! :( . / Nvclock-f-i -> here is even more interesting .... : P

-- General info --
Card: 		nVidia Geforce 9800GTX
Architecture: 	G92 A2
PCI id: 	0x612
GPU clock: 	738.000 MHz
Bustype: 	PCI-Express
-- Shader info --
Clock: 1836.000 MHz
Stream units: 128 (11111111b)
ROP units: 16 (1111b)
-- Memory info --
Amount: 	1024 MB
Type: 		256 bit DDR3
Clock: 		999.000 MHz
-- PCI-Express info --
Current Rate: 	16X
Maximum rate: 	16X
-- Sensor info --
Sensor: GPU Internal Sensor
GPU temperature: -390C
-- VideoBios information --
Version: 62.92.59.00.10
Signon message: GV-N98XPZL-1GH/F12 
Performance level 0: gpu 400MHz/shader 1200MHz/memory 800MHz/0.00V/100%
Performance level 1: gpu 740MHz/shader 1850MHz/memory 1000MHz/1.15V/100%
VID mask: 3
Voltage level 0: 0.95V, VID: 0
Voltage level 1: 1.00V, VID: 1
Voltage level 2: 1.05V, VID: 2
Voltage level 3: 1.10V, VID: 3

woot!?

You may want to post this at the nvclock forum to see if anyone has an explanation;

I am using an app to generate a license. This app is trying to use my MAC Address to generate the license, but returns the message "Cannot retrieve MAC address". I am using the network method B (recompiled RealtekR1000SL.kext). My System Preferences/Network doesn't show Ethernet (en2) anymore. Now is only Ethernet, but into the System Profiler/Ethernet Cards, the BSD name still en2. By the way, the Mac Address is showing correctly on System Preferences/Network/Advanced/Ethernet.

Could the BSD name=en2 be the problem?

Any workaround?

Could be this license generator made for leopard and doesn't be able to retrieve MAC address on Snow Leopard?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Could be, delete the network plists in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, reboot and readd your NIC to get an en0.

This doesn't work for my GTX470, so I assume that if I were to change the devid to 06cd (470), it wouldn't do anything either?
What doesn't work for your GTX 470?

What doesn't work for your GTX 470?

Changing the device ID to 05e3 in Graphics PM Kext. I tried changing it to the 470's devID, 06cd, and it still leaves the card running at level 0.

Or, I assumed that doing this would fix it so it would increase performance, I didn't actually read that, just assumed. Does it fix performance akin to changing it to MacPro3,1?

Changing the device ID to 05e3 in Graphics PM Kext. I tried changing it to the 470's devID, 06cd, and it still leaves the card running at level 0.

Or, I assumed that doing this would fix it so it would increase performance, I didn't actually read that, just assumed. Does it fix performance akin to changing it to MacPro3,1?

It's to allow the GPU to have power management; level 2 clocks when stressed, and down clocking to level 0 when not stressed (~10C lower).

Without the modification it's always at level 0.

Using MacPro3,1 it's always at level 2.

Deleting AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext it's always at level 2.

Using AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext from 10.6.3 it's always at level 2.

It's to allow the GPU to have power management; level 2 clocks when stressed, and down clocking to level 0 when not stressed (~10C lower).

Without the modification it's always at level 0.

Using MacPro3,1 it's always at level 2.

Deleting AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext it's always at level 2.

Using AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext from 10.6.3 it's always at level 2.

I was able to get power management working on my GTX 470 by changing the device id to 06cd, but nvclock locks up OSX, I will go investigate on nvclock forums.

hi there,

been using my kakewalk-hackintosh for some months now with good success. now all of a sudden: can't boot anymore, not even my backup disk does. booting stalls with "verifying dmi pool data".

been fiddeling around for a day now. found a workaround: boot from a fresh kakewalk usb-thumbdrive, then right after passing by the "verifying dmi pool data" message hit any key, so i can choose any attached bootable osx-volume. works then.

did some reading- i obviously need a new bootloader for my disks (no clue why tho' :( )

so my question: how can i safely install a new bootloader on my bootvolume?

specs: ga-x58a-ud5 rev.1 , yet working with kakewalk 2.2 ga-x58-ud7. (guess it's not kakewalk specific) 10.6.4, i7 920, doods dsdt mod.

help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.. :)

EDIT:

was suspecting a somehow faulty bios, reflashed it (same version f5), set up the bios from scratch: no change.

hi there,

been using my kakewalk-hackintosh for some months now with good success. now all of a sudden: can't boot anymore, not even my backup disk does. booting stalls with "verifying dmi pool data".

been fiddeling around for a day now. found a workaround: boot from a fresh kakewalk usb-thumbdrive, then right after passing by the "verifying dmi pool data" message hit any key, so i can choose any attached bootable osx-volume. works then.

did some reading- i obviously need a new bootloader for my disks (no clue why tho' :P )

specs: ga-x58a-ud5 rev.1 , yet working with kakewalk 2.2 ga-x58-ud7. (guess it's not kakewalk specific) 10.6.4, i7 920, doods dsdt mod.

help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.. ;)

EDIT:

was suspecting a somehow faulty bios, reflashed it (same version f5), set up the bios from scratch: no change.

iFabio has a topic where he creates an installer from the latest C2RC5 trunk;

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

hi there,

did some reading- i obviously need a new bootloader for my disks (no clue why tho' :) )

help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.. :)

EDIT:

I would try reinstalling your bootloader as d00d suggests.

Hi guys,

I want to ask some noob questions.

My computer specs:

- EX58-UD5 F12 BIOS

- Core i7 920

- 12 Gb Kit DDR3 1333 Patriot Viper Series

- EVGA NVidia GTX 285 2GB

I have an EFiX module, and a lot of problems with that, and for that reason, I would like to start doing something with the OpenSource alternatives. I have read a lot (I am a little bit confused).

I have a 256Mb USB, and I installed Chameleon 2RC4. I have Snow Leopard installed (done with EFiX), and I would like to use it, instead reinstall again.

To have a dsdt file, I downloaded the "DSDT_GA_EX58_UD5_F9m_S3_920_W3520_v2.zip", that is the best for my specs (I think), but what kexts I need to insert in the USB and where? I need to do something more? (I know that I need to do the steps 6 and 7, but I don't know if I need to do something with the steps 18 and 19).

Please, help me. Sorry for the inconveniences.

Cheers.

P.D.: I tried to understand the thread "http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097" doing the process with a script, but that script doesn't work properly, or I don't understand how to use it correctly...

So, the purpose of my previous post is to replace the EFi-X module with a USB drive with chameleon (or other if someone ays that is better).

That I did till now was:

- With the disk utility, I create one partition in the USB, with GUID option and formatted.

- Installed Chameleon 2 RC4.

- Put the DSDT.aml from "DSDT_GA_EX58_UD5_F9m_S3_920_W3520_v2.zip" in Extra folder.

What I need next? Kexts? Configuration? Please, help me.

A USB image is valid as well. I would like that it works in 32 and 64 bits.

Thanks and sorry for the inconveniences.