[INSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

ntyonline

178 posts in this topic

thats what i thought. so basically i just need to find all the kexts i need for the E1505/6400 and place it in the folder and i should be good to go.. right?

i will give it a shot today. thank you for your response.

well, that didnt help much. so decided to take a different approach to my install.

i followed this guide till i completed the install and snow leopard worked fine till i try to do the Chameleon part. so i switched to a different guide and followed it from half way through the process:

http://reviewandhowto.com/2009/09/28/guide...n-e1505-laptop/

From the Booting without the CD part...

And voila! i have a working snow leopard installation on my E1505. everything seems to be working except for the graphics. i dont see any updated NVinjectGo.kext for leopard.. not that i can find..

updated to 10.6.2 via Software Update and everything is still intact. lost Wireless after update, had to re-edit the IO80211Family.kext to add my device id and back to life!!!

Well I fixed the multi-boot problem.. You MUST format the Windows partitions to FAT in the OS X Disk Utility (from the install disc). I was previously formatting them to HFS+ (Journaled) and then trying to edit them from Ubuntu later. It turns out that the Windows setup refuses to install on a drive with GPT but if you format the partitions correctly, it's a hybrid setup that allows the Windows setup to run even though the drive is formatted with a GUID Partition Table. Starting from scratch, I didn't even need to use an Ubuntu LiveCD!

New news: upgrading to 10.6.1 has been smooth but last night when I tried going to 10.6.2, I experienced a kernel panic! I believe it has to do with the SleepEnabler kext but I could be totally wrong.. I'm new to the OS X and OSx86 scene in general but here is the general idea of what was on my screen after upgrading to 10.6.2:

panic(CPU 0 caller 0x2a86f7): "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1486.2.11/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:681

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler(1.0.0)@0x2e837000->0x2e838fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Date/Time information...

System model name: MacBookPro4,1

Well I fixed the multi-boot problem.. You MUST format the Windows partitions to FAT in the OS X Disk Utility (from the install disc). I was previously formatting them to HFS+ (Journaled) and then trying to edit them from Ubuntu later. It turns out that the Windows setup refuses to install on a drive with GPT but if you format the partitions correctly, it's a hybrid setup that allows the Windows setup to run even though the drive is formatted with a GUID Partition Table. Starting from scratch, I didn't even need to use an Ubuntu LiveCD!

Same result here. Format the partition as FAT in Disk Utility, then run Windows 7 install and reformat it. No need for Ubuntu.

By the way, I'm doing this on a Dell Latitude E4300, and everything seems the same so far.

New news: upgrading to 10.6.1 has been smooth but last night when I tried going to 10.6.2, I experienced a kernel panic! I believe it has to do with the SleepEnabler kext but I could be totally wrong.. I'm new to the OS X and OSx86 scene in general but here is the general idea of what was on my screen after upgrading to 10.6.2:

panic(CPU 0 caller 0x2a86f7): "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1486.2.11/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:681

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler(1.0.0)@0x2e837000->0x2e838fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Date/Time information...

System model name: MacBookPro4,1

hello, I have the same problem as you on my Dell Laitude M4400 (very similar like e6500)

when i change sleepenabler, still KP, when i delete dmos.kext booting have no error, but system still booting a booting with Apple logo on screen, but i cannot see desktop :wacko:

do you have any news, advice ?

hello, I have the same problem as you on my Dell Laitude M4400 (very similar like e6500)

when i change sleepenabler, still KP, when i delete dmos.kext booting have no error, but system still booting a booting with Apple logo on screen, but i cannot see desktop :)

do you have any news, advice ?

download the latest sleepenabler. google sleepenabler 10.6.2. or simply delete it.

download the latest sleepenabler. google sleepenabler 10.6.2. or simply delete it.

Hello, Dell Latitude m4400, after 10.6.2 software update, booting with KP, in W7 with macdrive replace SleepEnabler.kext, but still KP on boot ;), I try delete /S/L/Caches, dont help ...

i try delete dmos.kext, I havent KP but system still booting and booting 20min with Apple logo .. ;)

any help please, advice ?

post-465507-1258224662_thumb.jpg

dsmos stands for "Don't Steal Mac OS," and it's what Apple put into the OS to keep people from installing OSX on non-Apple hardware. Without that kext loaded, the boot will hang at "Waiting for DSMOS" (assuming you boot with -v). You'll need the "Hackintosh version" of DSMOS for your PC to boot.

Grab DSMOS from the Chameleon website, put in on a jump drive, and boot up your install DVD, then use the terminal to copy dsmos.kext to your /Extra/Extensions folder on your HD that Snow Leopard is installed to. Then repair permissions, and reboot with the -v flag and let us know what happens.

I'm pretty sure ponjob meant for you to delete the sleepenabler kext rather than dsmos...

ntyonline,

Thank you for the EXCELLENT writeup on this installation. I was able to install it perfectly on my machine, though I had to disable the webcam to get sleep to work (sleep >> webcam). Doesn't shutdown or restart, but I sleep it more than I bounce it, so it works extremely well. I might be speaking too soon, but my workflow is smooth and development with XCode is boss!

When I can scrap up time, I'd like to try and look into the shutdown and restart problem, or at least contribute something. This is a really amazing accomplishment; thanks again.

UPDATE: USB 2.0 seems to be having problems on this build. I'm looking for a resolution, but as it stands, it only supports USB 1.1.

I have an inspiron 6400 and decided to try to set up a dual boot system. I have followed this guide but when I boot with the boot132 cd and then swap over to the SL install dvd, it comes up with a bunch of errors and doesn't recognize the dvd. I have tried this numerous times with the same outcome, except once last night, for some reason it randomly recognized the SL dvd and I booted it. I got to the grey screen with the apple and the spinning wheel, but it just sat there spinning for a couple minutes and then a white X appeared over the apple. I tried again but my computer has not recognized the SL dvd since. This seems like an extremely basic part of the process, can anyone think of anything that I am overlooking? I have tried this with numerous configurations, win7 installed/uninstalled, numerous partition configs 1/2/3 in fat/ntfs file systems. I'm confused, it seems as if my dvd drive is just being unreliable and not recognizing the DVD

Inspiron 6400, T2400 1.83GHz x2, 2Gb ram

Thanks

ok so after trying over and over again, i got it to recognize the SL dvd once more, this time it never froze on the grey screen and went on to a black screen where I saw my trackpad cursor, which was the spinning rainbow beachball. I waited for 40 minutes but nothing happened. restarted and havent gotten it to get back to booting the dvd since. i dunno what is going on, maybe i was just holding my tongue in the right spot the 2 times is worked (but didn't work) for me. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for the wealth of info, I really don't know much but have a ton of will and interest.

Have you wait until it stop spinning before you take out the Boot132 and swap the disk?

Beside that, you might want to play with your Bios setting a little. Because in my case i need to disable some stuff in Bios before i can successfully boot it.

Yes, I have waited for the boot132 cd to stop spinning, it really seems like my dvd player is having trouble reading the SL dvd. I put the SL dvd in when windows is running and it takes a long time for explorer to even see that there is files on the dvd. It just tries to read and seems like it's struggling. Is this normal? What sort of things have you played with in your BIOS?

ok so after trying over and over again, i got it to recognize the SL dvd once more, this time it never froze on the grey screen and went on to a black screen where I saw my trackpad cursor, which was the spinning rainbow beachball. I waited for 40 minutes but nothing happened. restarted and havent gotten it to get back to booting the dvd since. i dunno what is going on, maybe i was just holding my tongue in the right spot the 2 times is worked (but didn't work) for me. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for the wealth of info, I really don't know much but have a ton of will and interest.

I'm pretty sure that the Chameleon live boot loader supports verbose output. If so, try entering '-v' when the CD loads up. If it still fails (which is likely), try booting to single-user mode, if possible, by entering '-s.'

If your DVD drive is indeed the issue, try installing using USB mode if you haven't already done so.

UPDATE: I was able to get USB 2.0 working and keep sleep mode by using Zpilott's IOUSBFamily.kext in the thread referenced by the original poster. However, my webcam is still not capturing anything, so I suppose the problem is a little more intricate than lacking bandwidth.

OSXRestart.kext fails to restart the laptop after the first time. However, if you're in single-user mode, you can reboot by entering

reboot -q

which will prompt a quick and dirty restart.

FYI: If dual-booting isn't working out for you, try using VMWare Fusion instead, as you still get a dedicated core and memory to work with, as well as Unity...which is ridiculously awesome.

Yes, I have waited for the boot132 cd to stop spinning, it really seems like my dvd player is having trouble reading the SL dvd. I put the SL dvd in when windows is running and it takes a long time for explorer to even see that there is files on the dvd. It just tries to read and seems like it's struggling. Is this normal? What sort of things have you played with in your BIOS?

i had the same issue with snow leopard dvd during my install. i just had to clean the disk with a cloth to get rid of some finger print marks on it and i have had no problems since.

are you having problems with other cds or dvds using the same drive? if you dont, then you can rule out the drive as an issue.

I am done running OS X on my Latitude e6400. If anyone wants my media bay hard drive caddy, my 320gb drive running 10.5.8, my Dell 1510 half mini pci wifi card, and my broadcom bluetooth mini pci card give me a shout and I'll cut you a heck of a deal on all of it.

everytime i tried to boot from 'boot 132' no matter wht i do, i keep stuck in 'loading darwin /x86' :)

boot from 'boot 132'

photo0067m.jpg

n if i boot from 'Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132'

it stucks on 'system uptime in nanoseconds'

my sys config:

mysysconfig.jpg

i tried cpus=1 -v, -f -x -s etc..

ny1 here to help me out?

i have dnwlded the .dmg file from mac-os-x-snow-leopard-106-10a432-retail-dvd

i burned it in dual layer from power iso.

can ny one tell me the cause of stucking in 'loading darwin /x86' ???

Again I'm going to ask if anyone else has the 3.06 gHz E6400/6500 and 10.6 is reporting it as 2.83. Do you think it is only using 2.83 GHz or do you think it is just displaying wrong. Also anyone have a guide/tutorial for updating from 10.6 to 10.6.2? I'd really like to use the magic mouse with my machine and that support does not come built into 10.6. Also...suggestions on internal wireless cards that will work with the latest revision of snow leopard. Happy Holidays everyone. Hope you guys are doing well. Keep this forum going strong. I could not live without OSX86. I do all of my music production in Logic and without it I was lost. I had to send my D630 in with a busted motherboard and I recieved the E6400 as a replacement to it. This has been a very rocky situation since then with some ups and downs. cons first

Cons:

3 and 1/2 weeks without a computer

5 weeks later I still haven't received my original hard drive they said I should have received 2 weeks ago.

E6400 has somewhat broken support compared to D630 where my wireless card worked out of the box

Pros:

They replaced a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo with a 3.06 Core 2 Duo

They replaced 1GB of ram in the original with 4GB in the E6400

They gave me a webcam, a bluetooth card, and a fingerprint reader...all of which I didn't have in my D630

They gave me an optical mouse (lol why?)

Having a newer machine in general

They replaced a 120GB 7200 RPM drive with the encrypted 7200RPM 160GB drive

So...any help anyone can give would be GREATLY appreciated. I have read through this entire topic and I have learned a lot but I still have unanswered questions. LET'S GET IT POPPIN!

Again I'm going to ask if anyone else has the 3.06 gHz E6400/6500 and 10.6 is reporting it as 2.83. Do you think it is only using 2.83 GHz or do you think it is just displaying wrong. Also anyone have a guide/tutorial for updating from 10.6 to 10.6.2? I'd really like to use the magic mouse with my machine and that support does not come built into 10.6. Also...suggestions on internal wireless cards that will work with the latest revision of snow leopard. Happy Holidays everyone. Hope you guys are doing well. Keep this forum going strong. I could not live without OSX86. I do all of my music production in Logic and without it I was lost. I had to send my D630 in with a busted motherboard and I recieved the E6400 as a replacement to it. This has been a very rocky situation since then with some ups and downs. cons first

Cons:

3 and 1/2 weeks without a computer

5 weeks later I still haven't received my original hard drive they said I should have received 2 weeks ago.

E6400 has somewhat broken support compared to D630 where my wireless card worked out of the box

Pros:

They replaced a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo with a 3.06 Core 2 Duo

They replaced 1GB of ram in the original with 4GB in the E6400

They gave me a webcam, a bluetooth card, and a fingerprint reader...all of which I didn't have in my D630

They gave me an optical mouse (lol why?)

Having a newer machine in general

They replaced a 120GB 7200 RPM drive with the encrypted 7200RPM 160GB drive

So...any help anyone can give would be GREATLY appreciated. I have read through this entire topic and I have learned a lot but I still have unanswered questions. LET'S GET IT POPPIN!

what installation method did you use?

10.6 to 10.6.2 can be done simply via the Apple software update.

Remove SleepEnabler.kext if you use it, this is very important step, old sleepenabler + new kernel = panic.

more info on that at: http://netkas.org/?p=315

also remember to backup all of your kexts. you may need to re-apply them after the update. my wifi quit working after the update, and i had to use the one from my backup.

dell wifi cards with the broadcom chips are working just fine on SL. i have a dw1395 on my e6400 working great. they are about $10 on ebay (shipped)

• 2 weeks later...
Extra:

1. Wifi:

- For those looking for USB Wifi, take a look at this "TRENDnet TEW-644UB Wireless N USB Adapter". It is selling for $32 at buy.com http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=209180504, you can find the driver here http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_sub...6&SUBMIT=Go

Have you successfully used this adapter under Snow Leopard with the listed driver? That driver file only has an installer for Leopard 10.5, not for Snow Leopard 10.6.

Hey Thanks for the guide but unfortunately it does work for me. :D

After installing snow leopard it wont boot into the OS it just hangs on the apple loading, all I am trying to do is install SL on my inspiron 6400. I have tried maybe 10 times using various guides. Nothing seems to work.

I tried this guide too but it fails to install SL from my hackintosh vm, there is an error when installing.

http://trikks.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/del...leopard-server/

If anyone has any ideas, help or other guides, please help me.

specs

Inspiron 6400

gma 945

wlan dell 1390

cpu 1.6 duo forget the model

graphics EFIstudio

at least on the desktop (not E6500), create an efi string for boot.plist worked

have not done the install on my e6500,... yet,

anybody tried chameleon rc 4 , copy boot over rc3 ?