[INSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

rajas

rajas

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
i am trying this guide.. all went well, till i copied the Extra folder to the root. now i get the grey screen with the shiny apple and the turning wheel..

is there anything special that needs to be done when copying the Extra folder?

System:
Dell E1505
NVIDIA 7300 GO

tylerrobb

tylerrobb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Try to delete the partition again and recreate the partition using Ubuntu. Don't format it. And are you install the Mac on first partition or second partition. In my case, i install Mac on my third partition and install windows 7 on the first partition.

Now the guide says 'delete the first partition' but I am not deleting the ACTUAL first partition. The first partition for me is EFI so I am actually just deleting the second partition which is my space for Windows 7. I've got it set up for 3 partitions (but there are 4 including the EFI partition).

1. EFI
2. Windows 7
3. Windows XP
4. Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

After deleting the Windows 7 and Windows XP partitions in Ubuntu, pulling up the Vista install disc (which I will upgrade to 7) it says I cannot install to any part of the disc if it is GPT. I set the drive to GUID Partition Table when I installed OS X and it seems as if I cannot install Windows at all if the drive isn't set up with a MBR.. =(

Could it be that I'm using Windows Vista Business SP1 vs Windows 7 Professional?

ntyonline

ntyonline

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

i am trying this guide.. all went well, till i copied the Extra folder to the root. now i get the grey screen with the shiny apple and the turning wheel..

is there anything special that needs to be done when copying the Extra folder?

System:
Dell E1505
NVIDIA 7300 GO

The extra folder is the driver for E6500. You will need to find the driver that suite your machine. If you copy the whole extra folder, it will create some driver conflict.

What you can do now is boot again using the Boo132 and then remove the Extra folder or try one by one to see which driver work and which is not.

Now the guide says 'delete the first partition' but I am not deleting the ACTUAL first partition. The first partition for me is EFI so I am actually just deleting the second partition which is my space for Windows 7. I've got it set up for 3 partitions (but there are 4 including the EFI partition).

1. EFI
2. Windows 7
3. Windows XP

After deleting the Windows 7 and Windows XP partitions in Ubuntu, pulling up the Vista install disc (which I will upgrade to 7) it says I cannot install to any part of the disc if it is GPT. I set the drive to GUID Partition Table when I installed OS X and it seems as if I cannot install Windows at all if the drive isn't set up with a MBR.. =(

Could it be that I'm using Windows Vista Business SP1 vs Windows 7 Professional?

I actually delete the first partition that i can see on the Ubuntu disk manager. basically what i did is as below:
- Create 3 partitions, 1) 80gb (for windows 7), 2) 120gb (for data) 3, 30gb (for Mac).
- when i delete the partition again, i delete the 80gb one. Strange enough is my EFI partition is becoming the number 4th partition. I guess for Windows to work, it must be the first partition no matter what.

weissi

weissi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

1. EFI
2. Windows 7
3. Windows XP

i have exactly the same problem :/ and no idea what to do. i have installed osx and win7 i guess 6 times with different methods, but got no dual boot :(

rajas

rajas

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

The extra folder is the driver for E6500. You will need to find the driver that suite your machine. If you copy the whole extra folder, it will create some driver conflict.

What you can do now is boot again using the Boo132 and then remove the Extra folder or try one by one to see which driver work and which is not.

thats what i thought. so basically i just need to find all the kexts i need for the E1505/6400 and place it in the folder and i should be good to go.. right?

i will give it a shot today. thank you for your response.

rajas

rajas

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

thats what i thought. so basically i just need to find all the kexts i need for the E1505/6400 and place it in the folder and i should be good to go.. right?

i will give it a shot today. thank you for your response.

well, that didnt help much. so decided to take a different approach to my install.

i followed this guide till i completed the install and snow leopard worked fine till i try to do the Chameleon part. so i switched to a different guide and followed it from half way through the process:

http://reviewandhowt...n-e1505-laptop/

From the Booting without the CD part...

And voila! i have a working snow leopard installation on my E1505. everything seems to be working except for the graphics. i dont see any updated NVinjectGo.kext for leopard.. not that i can find..

updated to 10.6.2 via Software Update and everything is still intact. lost Wireless after update, had to re-edit the IO80211Family.kext to add my device id and back to life!!!

tylerrobb

tylerrobb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I fixed the multi-boot problem.. You MUST format the Windows partitions to FAT in the OS X Disk Utility (from the install disc). I was previously formatting them to HFS+ (Journaled) and then trying to edit them from Ubuntu later. It turns out that the Windows setup refuses to install on a drive with GPT but if you format the partitions correctly, it's a hybrid setup that allows the Windows setup to run even though the drive is formatted with a GUID Partition Table. Starting from scratch, I didn't even need to use an Ubuntu LiveCD!

New news: upgrading to 10.6.1 has been smooth but last night when I tried going to 10.6.2, I experienced a kernel panic! I believe it has to do with the SleepEnabler kext but I could be totally wrong.. I'm new to the OS X and OSx86 scene in general but here is the general idea of what was on my screen after upgrading to 10.6.2:

panic(CPU 0 caller 0x2a86f7): "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1486.2.11/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:681

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler(1.0.0)@0x2e837000->0x2e838fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Date/Time information...

System model name: MacBookPro4,1

btb

btb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Well I fixed the multi-boot problem.. You MUST format the Windows partitions to FAT in the OS X Disk Utility (from the install disc). I was previously formatting them to HFS+ (Journaled) and then trying to edit them from Ubuntu later. It turns out that the Windows setup refuses to install on a drive with GPT but if you format the partitions correctly, it's a hybrid setup that allows the Windows setup to run even though the drive is formatted with a GUID Partition Table. Starting from scratch, I didn't even need to use an Ubuntu LiveCD!

Same result here. Format the partition as FAT in Disk Utility, then run Windows 7 install and reformat it. No need for Ubuntu.

By the way, I'm doing this on a Dell Latitude E4300, and everything seems the same so far.

lemka

lemka

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

New news: upgrading to 10.6.1 has been smooth but last night when I tried going to 10.6.2, I experienced a kernel panic! I believe it has to do with the SleepEnabler kext but I could be totally wrong.. I'm new to the OS X and OSx86 scene in general but here is the general idea of what was on my screen after upgrading to 10.6.2:

panic(CPU 0 caller 0x2a86f7): "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1486.2.11/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:681

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler(1.0.0)@0x2e837000->0x2e838fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Date/Time information...

System model name: MacBookPro4,1

hello, I have the same problem as you on my Dell Laitude M4400 (very similar like e6500)
when i change sleepenabler, still KP, when i delete dmos.kext booting have no error, but system still booting a booting with Apple logo on screen, but i cannot see desktop :wacko:

do you have any news, advice ?

ponjop

ponjop

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

hello, I have the same problem as you on my Dell Laitude M4400 (very similar like e6500)
when i change sleepenabler, still KP, when i delete dmos.kext booting have no error, but system still booting a booting with Apple logo on screen, but i cannot see desktop :)

do you have any news, advice ?

download the latest sleepenabler. google sleepenabler 10.6.2. or simply delete it.

lemka

lemka

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

download the latest sleepenabler. google sleepenabler 10.6.2. or simply delete it.

Hello, Dell Latitude m4400, after 10.6.2 software update, booting with KP, in W7 with macdrive replace SleepEnabler.kext, but still KP on boot ;), I try delete /S/L/Caches, dont help ...

i try delete dmos.kext, I havent KP but system still booting and booting 20min with Apple logo .. ;)

any help please, advice ?
Attached File  KP.JPG   119.31KB   73 downloads

marthastewart333

marthastewart333

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
dsmos stands for "Don't Steal Mac OS," and it's what Apple put into the OS to keep people from installing OSX on non-Apple hardware. Without that kext loaded, the boot will hang at "Waiting for DSMOS" (assuming you boot with -v). You'll need the "Hackintosh version" of DSMOS for your PC to boot.

Grab DSMOS from the Chameleon website, put in on a jump drive, and boot up your install DVD, then use the terminal to copy dsmos.kext to your /Extra/Extensions folder on your HD that Snow Leopard is installed to. Then repair permissions, and reboot with the -v flag and let us know what happens.

I'm pretty sure ponjob meant for you to delete the sleepenabler kext rather than dsmos...

static rev

static rev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
does this work with 64 bit

cnunez1987

cnunez1987

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ntyonline,

Thank you for the EXCELLENT writeup on this installation. I was able to install it perfectly on my machine, though I had to disable the webcam to get sleep to work (sleep >> webcam). Doesn't shutdown or restart, but I sleep it more than I bounce it, so it works extremely well. I might be speaking too soon, but my workflow is smooth and development with XCode is boss!

When I can scrap up time, I'd like to try and look into the shutdown and restart problem, or at least contribute something. This is a really amazing accomplishment; thanks again.

UPDATE: USB 2.0 seems to be having problems on this build. I'm looking for a resolution, but as it stands, it only supports USB 1.1.

moikejay

moikejay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an inspiron 6400 and decided to try to set up a dual boot system. I have followed this guide but when I boot with the boot132 cd and then swap over to the SL install dvd, it comes up with a bunch of errors and doesn't recognize the dvd. I have tried this numerous times with the same outcome, except once last night, for some reason it randomly recognized the SL dvd and I booted it. I got to the grey screen with the apple and the spinning wheel, but it just sat there spinning for a couple minutes and then a white X appeared over the apple. I tried again but my computer has not recognized the SL dvd since. This seems like an extremely basic part of the process, can anyone think of anything that I am overlooking? I have tried this with numerous configurations, win7 installed/uninstalled, numerous partition configs 1/2/3 in fat/ntfs file systems. I'm confused, it seems as if my dvd drive is just being unreliable and not recognizing the DVD

Inspiron 6400, T2400 1.83GHz x2, 2Gb ram

Thanks

moikejay

moikejay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok so after trying over and over again, i got it to recognize the SL dvd once more, this time it never froze on the grey screen and went on to a black screen where I saw my trackpad cursor, which was the spinning rainbow beachball. I waited for 40 minutes but nothing happened. restarted and havent gotten it to get back to booting the dvd since. i dunno what is going on, maybe i was just holding my tongue in the right spot the 2 times is worked (but didn't work) for me. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for the wealth of info, I really don't know much but have a ton of will and interest.

ntyonline

ntyonline

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Have you wait until it stop spinning before you take out the Boot132 and swap the disk?

Beside that, you might want to play with your Bios setting a little. Because in my case i need to disable some stuff in Bios before i can successfully boot it.

moikejay

moikejay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I have waited for the boot132 cd to stop spinning, it really seems like my dvd player is having trouble reading the SL dvd. I put the SL dvd in when windows is running and it takes a long time for explorer to even see that there is files on the dvd. It just tries to read and seems like it's struggling. Is this normal? What sort of things have you played with in your BIOS?

ntyonline

ntyonline

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
From what you said, it look like might be your dvd rom problem.

the bios setting i play with is Bios setting for SATA.

cnunez1987

cnunez1987

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

ok so after trying over and over again, i got it to recognize the SL dvd once more, this time it never froze on the grey screen and went on to a black screen where I saw my trackpad cursor, which was the spinning rainbow beachball. I waited for 40 minutes but nothing happened. restarted and havent gotten it to get back to booting the dvd since. i dunno what is going on, maybe i was just holding my tongue in the right spot the 2 times is worked (but didn't work) for me. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for the wealth of info, I really don't know much but have a ton of will and interest.

I'm pretty sure that the Chameleon live boot loader supports verbose output. If so, try entering '-v' when the CD loads up. If it still fails (which is likely), try booting to single-user mode, if possible, by entering '-s.'

If your DVD drive is indeed the issue, try installing using USB mode if you haven't already done so.

UPDATE: I was able to get USB 2.0 working and keep sleep mode by using Zpilott's IOUSBFamily.kext in the thread referenced by the original poster. However, my webcam is still not capturing anything, so I suppose the problem is a little more intricate than lacking bandwidth.

OSXRestart.kext fails to restart the laptop after the first time. However, if you're in single-user mode, you can reboot by entering
reboot -q
which will prompt a quick and dirty restart.

FYI: If dual-booting isn't working out for you, try using VMWare Fusion instead, as you still get a dedicated core and memory to work with, as well as Unity...which is ridiculously awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy