[INSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

ntyonline

178 posts in this topic

Hey. I followed your directions to a T and my system is working 90% awesome, but the trackpad driver (appleacpips2nub) and the Bluetooth driver (dellbluetoothhci) are not working correctly and are giving me errors on verbose bootup.

Other than that...awesome tutorial

Dependency com.apple.kernel.libkern not found

Failed kernel dependencies ( as to why dellbluetoothhci won't work). Pleasenhelp

Hi.

I learned a lot from everyone who's contributed here. Thanks very much everyone. I have a nearly fully-functional 64-bit mode machine now, and have been using it reliably for weeks now. I want to give back, so here's my contribution.

Things have changed since October 2009 when this thread was begun. It is now easier to Hackintosh a Dell E6400/E6500, and to get it to run in 64-bit mode. I have compiled new instructions with some new files, all gathered and included here in one place (with the exception of reliable 64-bit access to NTFS drives, which is provided in the form of a download URL instead, because that download is 8MB in size: too big for this forum).

Instructions are in the PDF file attached here called:

Hackintosh for E6400-E6500 - no attachments.pdf

(It's called "no attachments" because I have another copy of the pdf that includes inside of it, as PDF attachments, all of the files needed to follow the instructions. It is, however, 10MB and therefore prohibited from this forum because of size. So I split everything up and posted it here in separate pieces.)

Highlights of and Features of These Instructions

====================================

• If you already have Windows Installed, allows you to keep that intact, while adding MacOSX to your machine (You need a partition to put MacOSX in. See Preparation Instructions in the PDF).

• Auto-Installs Dual-Boot between MaxOSX and Windows (and/or any other OS you may also already have on your machine, or might put on your machine in future)

• Keep your MBR partition scheme (no need to go GUID partition scheme).

Advantages of this are:

o Your Windows Disk Image Backup software (such as Acronis) that backs up the whole Master Boot Record, partition table and disk signature still works, and includes the Mac partition in the image backup, and still restores the entire drive, even if you change partition sizes (except the Mac HFS+ partition which cannot be resized - with Acronis anyway).

o Your Dell Diagnostics Partition still works (would have been lost if you went GUID)

o Your Existing Windows Install (if you have one) still works as-is (Yes, you can run your existing Windows Install (or other OS) as a virtual machine with MacOSX as the host - your existing install partition can be used as a virtual machine image.)

• Mac OSX is Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (10C540), and it sees your Dell E6400/E6500 as a Mac PowerBook 4,1

• MacOSX starts in 64-bit mode by default (you can optionally force 32-bit mode if you wish). Instructions here are for getting things working in 64-bit mode.

• These instructions provide MacOSX reliable 64-bit mode read/write access to your existing Windows NTFS partitions and external drives. (MacOSX also comes with read-only access to NTFS partitions by default. You can also enable native write access using an undocumented, unsupported, and unstable technique. A technique for doing this is described here but is discouraged by everyone who's used it much, including the good people at Apple. But there are also instructions here for RELIABLE read/write access that represents a stable and preferred method.)

• Simultaneously run both MacOSX aand Windows (or other OS) in 64-bit mode without

re-booting.

What is working:

============

• 64-bit mode for everything that is working

• sound (using alternate volume control)

• Microphone (using alternate volume control)

• Built-in WebCam

• Mouse-nub and its buttons

• Touch-pad and its buttons

• USB devices at USB 2.0 speeds

• External SATA

• Graphics Card at 1920x1200 (Mine is the Nvidia Quatro NVS160M in the E6500)

• Internal WiFi if yours is Broadcom based (mine was not)

• Internal 82556/7 wired network adapter (Internet sharing does not work)

• Restart

What' s not working:

===============

• SD slot

• PC Card slot

• Sleep, Hibernate (they safely shut-down the OS, but power stays on, not in sleep mode, cannot wake up without complete power-off/power-on, which of course destroys sleep)

• Shutdown (safely shuts-down the OS, but not the power)

• Internal Wifi 5100 a/g/n adapter (Internal Broadcom based WiFi works. A USB WiFi adapter with Mac drivers works - see below.)

IF ANYONE CAN CONTRIBUTE WITH ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS TO GET THESE THINGS WORKING, YOUR CONTRIBUTION WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED BY EVERYONE.

Download all three attachments shown here and see the PDF file among them for detailed instructions, which refer to the other two files attached here.

6. Make sure your Bios setting for SATA is AHCI. Do not use IRRT, for some reason it just stop working when i set it as IRRT. Since the laptop have only one harddisk, technically IRRT is useless anyway. You can google around if you wonder what IRRT use for.

Hello,

I am unable to complete this step above.

Ive already asked this question on how to do it, to which someone sent me a link to a pdf on how to install snow leopard on the inspiron 6400, within the pdf it provided a link to a web page showing how to change the setting of the bios for SATA is AHCI which still didnt give me the answer as it just said like above that i need to change the setting in the bios.

Ive realy checked a million times and not found it in my bios. ive attatched a photo of my bios. someone please help me because obviously im stumped if i cant do this. thanks very much in advance for anyone who can help me!!! :D

post-598739-1271418505_thumb.jpg

Looking at your BIOS image, I see that your computer is not a Dell Notebook Model E6500 or E6400. If you look at the title of this forum thread: "[iNSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard on Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps..." You will see that the instructions, advice and files presented in this thread are only for people with a Dell Notebook Model E6500 or E6400.

The instructions, advice, and files presented in this thread are not applicable to your computer.

Having said that, I think that if you do not have SATA settings on your computer, (like a Dell Model E6500 or E6500 does) then either:

- you just can't make the change, or

- you just don't need to make the change.

Why to you feel that you need to make this BIOS change? Is it because of step 6 in this thread? This thread applies only to Dell Model E6500 or E6400. If you don't have that model of computer then you don't need to follow any of the steps in this thread, as all of the instructions, advice and files presented in this thread only apply to the Dell model E6500 or E6400.

If I were you, I would ignore this step, and all of the files presented in this thread, and just use SnowOSX Universal 3.6 or later on your own computer model, ignoring this SATA setting issue altogether. That will get you going, but without specific drivers for your specific computer model. Then I would search the Internet to try to find drivers (kexts) that match your computer model (if necessary - the SnowOSX Universal might be sufficient). The ones in this thread are only for the Dell notebook model E6500 or E6400.

On my system, the trackpad only works properly if the mouse is not attached. I can't have both active at the same time. If the mouse is not attached, then the trackpad works great.

As for the Bluetooth: I don't know what to say, other than suggesting that you update to 10.6.3 using the update option in your now running OSX. Maybe that will help?

I figured it out. Included in the extra folder is the old version. On Dell bt that doesn't work 64 bit. Download version 1.2 instead and replace it. I was able to get tracked working by showing contents of appleacpips2controller and deleting apple trackpad.. Hope this helpsppl

Hey. I followed your directions to a T and my system is working 90% awesome, but the trackpad driver (appleacpips2nub) and the Bluetooth driver (dellbluetoothhci) are not working correctly and are giving me errors on verbose bootup.

Other than that...awesome tutorial

Dependency com.apple.kernel.libkern not found

Failed kernel dependencies ( as to why dellbluetoothhci won't work). Pleasenhelp

Hi all,

Huge thanks to carmen23 for his PDF and prepackaged kexts. I got my E6500 to boot and it's running pretty well. My main problem at this point is that when I leave the system up and running for over 24 hours, at some point it freezes. "Freezing" looks like:

1) Busy cursor over any finder windows or menu bar.

2) Clicking anywhere on the dock has no effect.

3) I can move other windows that are open (like Terminal).

4) If I try to run a command within Terminal, there's no response after I hit return.

5) If I press the power button, I get the shutdown dialog. But when I press enter, the system doesn't shutdown.

6) The disk is very busy.

Anybody else seen this?

Thanks again for everyone's help and expertise!!

schteve

I'm having the same problem actually. If I run too many torrents at once and try to run. Another program I get the same ptoblem. Also...I can't get my native instruments audio kontrol 1 interface driver to work

Hi all,

Huge thanks to carmen23 for his PDF and prepackaged kexts. I got my E6500 to boot and it's running pretty well. My main problem at this point is that when I leave the system up and running for over 24 hours, at some point it freezes. "Freezing" looks like:

1) Busy cursor over any finder windows or menu bar.

2) Clicking anywhere on the dock has no effect.

3) I can move other windows that are open (like Terminal).

4) If I try to run a command within Terminal, there's no response after I hit return.

5) If I press the power button, I get the shutdown dialog. But when I press enter, the system doesn't shutdown.

6) The disk is very busy.

Anybody else seen this?

Thanks again for everyone's help and expertise!!

schteve

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I now have an almost fully working Snow Leopard 10.6.2 install on a Dell Latitude 6500.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53ghz P8700

Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M

WUXGA 1920x1200

Dell Wireless 1397

My machine is lacking some of the bells and whistles like bluetooth and webcam but almost everything I do have is working. Following the PDF manual went well and I only had to search for an IO80211Family.kext file that I found in a thread about the Inspiron 1545 (http://rapidshare.com/files/327129708/Wireless.rar.html)

Like many people here, sleep and restart and shutdown do not work for me. But I don't really care that much about sleeping as this thing boots amazingly fast and I don't mind pushing a button to complete the shutdown process. On the other hand, if anyone has a foolproof method of making these functions work, I'm open to giving it a go.

The one sticking point that I'm having is that I cannot get my touchpad/trackpad to work. It just goes crazy whenever I even come near it. I've tried many of the suggested solutions here and either they don't change anything or they stop my keyboard and mouse from functioning entirely until I restore the original kexts. The VoodooPS2.kext actually broke my USB ports too so even hooking up an external keyboard did not work. Can anyone shed any light on this? If I can get my touchpad to work, I'll be one happy camper.

Thank you.

Wow. Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I now have an almost fully working Snow Leopard 10.6.2 install on a Dell Latitude 6500.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53ghz P8700

Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M

WUXGA 1920x1200

Dell Wireless 1397

My machine is lacking some of the bells and whistles like bluetooth and webcam but almost everything I do have is working. Following the PDF manual went well and I only had to search for an IO80211Family.kext file that I found in a thread about the Inspiron 1545 (http://rapidshare.com/files/327129708/Wireless.rar.html)

Like many people here, sleep and restart and shutdown do not work for me. But I don't really care that much about sleeping as this thing boots amazingly fast and I don't mind pushing a button to complete the shutdown process. On the other hand, if anyone has a foolproof method of making these functions work, I'm open to giving it a go.

The one sticking point that I'm having is that I cannot get my touchpad/trackpad to work. It just goes crazy whenever I even come near it. I've tried many of the suggested solutions here and either they don't change anything or they stop my keyboard and mouse from functioning entirely until I restore the original kexts. The VoodooPS2.kext actually broke my USB ports too so even hooking up an external keyboard did not work. Can anyone shed any light on this? If I can get my touchpad to work, I'll be one happy camper.

Thank you.

I had the same problem and was able to figure it out. You just go to extra/extensions. Find ApplePS2Controller.kext and right click go to show package contents. Go to the contents folder then plugins and in there you should see ApplePS2Trackpad.kext Delete that, restart and you are home free. I have found that the best way to do this is to make a copy of ApplePS2Controller.kext on your desktop. Then delete the file from the contents. Then drag the new kext back into your extensions folder

Hope this helps. It did for me

I had the same problem and was able to figure it out. You just go to extra/extensions. Find ApplePS2Controller.kext and right click go to show package contents. Go to the contents folder then plugins and in there you should see ApplePS2Trackpad.kext Delete that, restart and you are home free. I have found that the best way to do this is to make a copy of ApplePS2Controller.kext on your desktop. Then delete the file from the contents. Then drag the new kext back into your extensions folder

Hope this helps. It did for me

I saw this method earlier in this thread and tried it, but it didn't change anything for me. The trackpad still went crazy and everything else still worked. Did you have to repair permissions after moving the file back and forth? I used kextHelper after running the rm command from terminal.

I saw this method earlier in this thread and tried it, but it didn't change anything for me. The trackpad still went crazy and everything else still worked. Did you have to repair permissions after moving the file back and forth? I used kextHelper after running the rm command from terminal.

Kexthelper puts it in system/library/extensions. You want it in extra/extensions. Then use kept utility or osx86tools

Well, no joy on the trackpad. More details on the issue:

The default install includes the ApplePS2Controller.kext, so I tried your suggestion of putting VoodooPS2Controller.kext into the Extra/Extensions folder both with that option selected and deselected on install. I ended up doing a default install again because I just wanted to use the machine.

In my System/Library/Extensions folder I have these files:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

In my Extra/Extensions folder I have these files:

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

Am I supposed to remove all of the files listed above and just put VoodooPS2Controller.kext into Extra/Extensions? It didn't seem to work when I did that originally. Maybe AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext needs to be present in the SLE folder or ApplePS2Controller.kext?

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi, i tried to install like it is written in the topic.

My system ist an E6400.

I have a issue after booting from the original DVD.

1. Boot 132 CD ISO after that i have inserted the MACOS DVD (it is a downloaded dmg, witch i had to convert with dmg2img and burned after that).

As I intestert the DVD after pressing F5 nothing happens, after that i can sellect the boot hdd, by pressing the right hex code to boot from dvd.

After that i get a screen where this information is written:

Darvin/x86 boot v5.0.132_dfe_r146_Chameleon_pre

4096MB memory

VESA v3.0 14MB (NVIDIA)

Loading Darwin/x86

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 4233b00

_

After that nothning happens anymore.

Hi, i tried to install like it is written in the topic.

My system ist an E6400.

I have a issue after booting from the original DVD.

1. Boot 132 CD ISO after that i have inserted the MACOS DVD (it is a downloaded dmg, witch i had to convert with dmg2img and burned after that).

As I intestert the DVD after pressing F5 nothing happens, after that i can sellect the boot hdd, by pressing the right hex code to boot from dvd.

After that i get a screen where this information is written:

Darvin/x86 boot v5.0.132_dfe_r146_Chameleon_pre

4096MB memory

VESA v3.0 14MB (NVIDIA)

Loading Darwin/x86

Loading kernel mach_kernel

_

After that nothning happens anymore.

Yup. Same thing happened to me. That's why I found another way to do this and added my instructions and files to this thread here. It's post #68:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...94738&st=67

Make sure you have the *newest* version of voodoops2controller (available here http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,235.0.html) Also, remove BOTH APPLEACPIPS2 in Extra and in S/L/E. You should not have duplicates (how you got them I'm not sure maybe you used kexthelper when you were supposed to put them in Extra). Whatever the case. This is what worked for me. I hope it helps you out.

Well, no joy on the trackpad. More details on the issue:

The default install includes the ApplePS2Controller.kext, so I tried your suggestion of putting VoodooPS2Controller.kext into the Extra/Extensions folder both with that option selected and deselected on install. I ended up doing a default install again because I just wanted to use the machine.

In my System/Library/Extensions folder I have these files:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

In my Extra/Extensions folder I have these files:

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

Am I supposed to remove all of the files listed above and just put VoodooPS2Controller.kext into Extra/Extensions? It didn't seem to work when I did that originally. Maybe AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext needs to be present in the SLE folder or ApplePS2Controller.kext?

Thanks so much for your help.

Yup. Same thing happened to me. That's why I found another way to do this and added my instructions and files to this thread here. It's post #68:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...94738&st=67

Hi, thanks for your post.

Not true the Guide but have used the idea of it ;), just follwed the steps till my keyboard hadnt start working ;)

I got my i got it running again, Im lucky that i have an older Installation of MACos that saved me a lot of time while trying with the 10.6.2

but i have still a bit issue, and i dont understand where i have to serach for it.

Well the biggest problem are the PS2 perivels build in mice(track point or pad) and keyboard. Ethernet works and my external wifi :) whats good :), and ihve heard some sounds :)

well i saw i got a lot of kext installed might it be possible that some kext is blocking the PS2?

Make sure you have the *newest* version of voodoops2controller (available here http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,235.0.html) Also, remove BOTH APPLEACPIPS2 in Extra and in S/L/E. You should not have duplicates (how you got them I'm not sure maybe you used kexthelper when you were supposed to put them in Extra). Whatever the case. This is what worked for me. I hope it helps you out.

Hi, where is the difference between the 2 extensions folders? :)

Well, I don't know what is going on with my install, but without both AppleACPIPS2.kext files installed, I do not have full functionality of my machine. If the one from SLE is missing then I have no USB port functionality. If the one from EE is missing then the built-in keyboard and mouse nub don't work. I'm feeling a bit frustrated at this point, but appreciate all the help you've given me. If you or anyone have any further suggestions or questions, I'm very appreciative of any help that you can offer.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone try 10.6.3 update?

I did, and it works perfectly.

Is your trackpad working?

Sadly, no. The keyboard "nub" works fine, but touching the trackpad makes the cursor go crazy, and it "clicks" the mouse button countless times while it's jumping all over the place.

I suspect that the kexts and suggestions that have worked for others, are not working for me because I'm using the 64-bit kernel, while I believe the suggested kexts are compiled for 32-bit only.

Sadly, no. The keyboard "nub" works fine, but touching the trackpad makes the cursor go crazy, and it "clicks" the mouse button countless times while it's jumping all over the place.

I suspect that the kexts and suggestions that have worked for others, are not working for me because I'm using the 64-bit kernel, while I believe the suggested kexts are compiled for 32-bit only.

Everything except sleep/shutdown works on my 10:6:3. Ill post a zip of my extras and extensions folders when I get home from work at the apple store hehe. Hope this helps you guys. Lemme know how it goes

The trackpad is easy, even in 64bit mode. Let's do step by step:

First make sure you just have one ApplePS2Controller.kext. Look in /Extra/Extensions/ and in /System/Library/Extensions/. Make sure it is in /Extra/Extensions/ and delete the other one(s).

Also make sure you have (only one too) AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext in /Extra/Extensions/.

Please also make sure you don't have any other PS2 drivers like VoodooPS2 or similar

Then do as follow:

1. Right click /Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext and click on "Show Package Content"

2. Now you're inside the Kext, navigate to /contents/plugins/. You should find 3 Files (another kexts)

3. Delete ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

4. Close the open Finder windows

5. Run Kextutility (very important)

6. reboot

If you still have the crazy trackpad behavior, type the following into terminal:

sudo kextload /Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

And post the output.

I got everything working too. SD-Card reader, Firewire, E-Sata, WWAN, sound, battery, Lan , WLan, GFX (incl QE/QGL) ...

everything in native, vanilla 64bit Kernel. Had no time for sleep/halt/reboot yet but it will follow, i'm pretty sure...

I'll do a list of all hardware components of my E6400 (MFD is April 2010) and will upload my Extra folder if you want me to.

Greetz

min3z

Everything except sleep/shutdown works on my 10:6:3. Ill post a zip of my extras and extensions folders when I get home from work at the apple store hehe. Hope this helps you guys. Lemme know how it goes

So here it is. A completely working (Bluetooth, Dell Wireless, HD Audio, Trackpad, nub, keyboard, displayport, graphics, etc.) except for sleep/shut down, set of extensions and extra files for 10.6.3 though I think it might also work with 10.6.2.

Extract these files to /System/Library/Extensions: http://www.mediafire.com/?mnqmmnmwtmg

(backup: http://www.zshare.net/download/766376351c8cea74/)

Extract these files to / : http://www.mediafire.com/?igi1no5oeld

(backup: http://www.zshare.net/download/7663765062af1237/)

Let me know how this works for you guys.

Extra.zip

The trackpad is easy, even in 64bit mode. Let's do step by step:

First make sure you just have one ApplePS2Controller.kext. Look in /Extra/Extensions/ and in /System/Library/Extensions/. Make sure it is in /Extra/Extensions/ and delete the other one(s).

Also make sure you have (only one too) AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext in /Extra/Extensions/.

Please also make sure you don't have any other PS2 drivers like VoodooPS2 or similar

Then do as follow:

1. Right click /Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext and click on "Show Package Content"

2. Now you're inside the Kext, navigate to /contents/plugins/. You should find 3 Files (another kexts)

3. Delete ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

4. Close the open Finder windows

5. Run Kextutility (very important)

6. reboot

If you still have the crazy trackpad behavior, type the following into terminal:

sudo kextload /Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

And post the output.

I got everything working too. SD-Card reader, Firewire, E-Sata, WWAN, sound, battery, Lan , WLan, GFX (incl QE/QGL) ...

everything in native, vanilla 64bit Kernel. Had no time for sleep/halt/reboot yet but it will follow, i'm pretty sure...

I'll do a list of all hardware components of my E6400 (MFD is April 2010) and will upload my Extra folder if you want me to.

Greetz

min3z

hello greetz, first thank for your advise

i tried that afterward no more keyboard or trackpad :)

My battery meter also missing

So please upload your extra folder

see u