[INSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

ntyonline

178 posts in this topic

Finally have everything working except of course Intell 5300 WLAN. Have a USB Wifi stick that works quite well. Shutdown/sleep/restart/audio

This is finally a solid every day use laptop.

Thanks ajvos and supbtsup!

Thanks for the ethernet 64 bit fix. It worked great. I got a cheap Dell WLAN card online, solved my wireless problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. Doesn't look like there's been much here since the beginning of October. Trying to get my head around the OSX stuff has been a fun project.

I've been able to get just about everything working on my E6500 except the built-in keyboard and mouse have not worked reliably. Booting from TonyMacOSX86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported CD, I can install if I boot in Safe Boot mode. On that, and the subsequent reboot (before installing Chameleon), built-in keyboard works, but the nub does not and the trackpad is crazy. After installing Chameleon and booting from the hard drive, neither works. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] probably has kexts loading that get me nearly there.

I'm trying to install using the EFI partition method, since I'd like my install to be as vanilla as possible. However, I think this causes conflicts with existing kexts that I have not removed from S/L/E. Is it necessary to remove/modify kexts in that location, or can everything be run from the EFI partition reliably? If I can run them all from EFI, is there a utility that will repair permissions and update the kext caches in that location?

Update: Gave up on trying to run from the EFI partition. Seems like too many changes needed to be made to S/L/E. I have everything working now except for the mouse nub/trackpad. Sound works, but after sleep I get a constant beeping until I reboot. Other than that, it's working brilliantly.

Did you notice that the CPU Performance drops heavily with this DSDT?

With Xbench total score drops dramatically from 170 to 53 for my E6500 with P9500 2.53GHz

When installing NullCpu kext it becomes 170 again, however then shutdown crashes.

Maybe there is some wrong values in the speedstep Section of your DSDT?

• 1 month later...
Sorry to post so much. Got wired LAN working..need the 64 bit driver which I've attached in your /S/L/E

Also had to get the 64 bit bluetooth but that seems to be OK now. Still working on sound.

Also, shutdown seems to work but not restart.

Hi EinsteinTaylor,

I am also stuck at the sound. Everything worked except sound/mic. May I know how you finally make your sound work? By editing your dsdt, or using a modified version of VoodooHDA.kext? Thanks a lot!

P.S. The problem I encountered follows:

- dsdt.aml by ajvos, tried VoodooHDA 0.2.2/2.7.1/2.7.2 with prefPane.

- Without VoodooHDA, got "assert(0 != result) ..." warning with AppleMikeyHIDDriver.kext and AppleHDA.kext.

- With VoodooHDA in /S/L/E, got kernel panic.

Update.

Just make VoodooHDA work! I didn't notice that VoodooHDA did conflict with AppleHDA.kext.

Thanks a lot for all guys on this thread! (:P)

• 7 months later...

I have successfully loaded Lion Gold Master on my Dell Latitude E6400. I created a Lion USB installer. The installer is a 8GB USB GUID partition that automatically gets named as Mac OS X Base system when it is restored from Base System.dmg on Lion Gold Master. Then I , copied fakesmc, ACPIPlatform…, IOPCI… in /S/L/E on the installer drive.

I used Kext Wizard which also repairs /S/L/E permissions on the installer. Kext Wizard allows you to load kexts to other drives and repair other drives (from the one you are booted into) is a great help.

As I was loading Lion on an MBR partition I replaced:

/Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg and

/Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall

–on the installer drive with modified files (obtained by googling) Then I booted into the USB installer using Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1083.pkg loaded on my existing SL drive, with -v -f flags.

Then I followed regular install process. Once install is through I booted into existing SL and copied fakesmc, ACPIPlatform…, IOPCI… in /S/L/E on the new Lion Drive with Kext Wizard and repaired /S/L/E permissions. I also copied com.apple.Boot.plist from my old SL into /E of the new Lion Drive and repaired permissions on /E as well.

This last step is essential to avoid kernel panic or keyboard freeze at login time after loading Chameleon on the new Lion Drive. After initial boot up, for whatever system that didnt work, I used my old SL kexts, such as IONetworkingFamily.kext, IO80211Family.kext, Intel82566MM.kext, VoodooHDA, VoodooSDHC, AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

To enable native ntfs, I used iBlacky method of copying mount_ntfs to mount_ntfs.org and saving the follwing script to mount_ntfs:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/mount_ntfs.orig -o rw “$@“

For this too I had to load the kext from SL. I now have a fully working Lion Gold Master. As it doesnt have nvidia, I cannot enjoy all graphic applications, but it does better than my SL, as I able to open jpegs with Preview.app.

Though moved into os x in a big way, and I now keep playing between Linux and OS X and need Windows at work. So the answer is triple boot or multi boot.

I have Lion, Windows 7 and Ubuntu (yes folks Ubuntu) all loaded on my jacknife USB Storejet. It boots into Windows (on HDD), OS X Lion (on HDD), OS X Snow Leopard on USB StoreJet, OS X Lion USB Installer and Linux (Ubuntu 11 (natty)) allowing me to boot almost any machine that has no password at BIOS level.

I also have Lion and Windows dual boot on my Hard Drive (could have gone triple, but needed more discspace for other stuff)

General loading sequence for triple boot:

First install Windows. While doing this, make enough partitions for the three OSes and data.

Next load Ubuntu. Ubuntu grub gets loaded (you can update-grub later to allow boot from grub to os x). Grub is to be loaded only on the partition containing the Linux File System (eg., sdc3), and not root of the USB StoreJet, sdc during the Linux installation. This makes Ubuntu access from Chameleon (which we will load subsequently) possible.

Finally load Lion (MBR- only MBR can coexist with Windows). With Lion load the Chameleon boot loader (Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1083) which now operates as an overall cover boot loader that accesses a secondary Ubuntu grub list boot loader, Windows and OS X.

Further made a lamp server using Michael Gracie and Jason’s tutes:

http://michaelgracie.com/2009/09/23/pluggi...pard-10-6-1/

http://verysimple.com/2009/09/18/installin...6-snow-leopard/

Now I am fully set to work with my with my Dell-E6400-Latitude-Lion

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks to this tutorial I've made an successful installation of Snow Leopard (nom I'm running a 10.6.7 version) on my Dell latitude E6400.

But, I've a little problem concerning youtube and video streaming. I can only heard the sound, but I have no video (it's blank).

Maybe it's due to the graphic card that is not working correctly

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to have the video ?

Thanks a lot

• 1 month later...

Do hope that I'm not "necrobumping" here but I'm running into a problem every time I attempt to do a combo update. First I tried 10.6.6, then 10.6.3. Each time I did indeed watch S/L/E like a hawk and deleted AppleHDA the second it arrived...

But then I get kernel panic, somewhere near the middle of the page it mentions sleepenabler... Should I have deleted this?

rachanta!!!!!!!!!! Please I beg of your E6400 MASTERY! Show me the way Sifu. train me in the arts lol. Kudos to you though you have the configuration I need. Please if you can post a baby step by baby step quick tutorial and post everything I would need to clone your lion as far as kexts, dsdt, etc. I would really appreciate it. Right now I believe im using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method i read from either this or another thread and seems everthing is working fine.....in snow leopard. I need Lion please. I have an 8GB flash drive i just bought today from fry's so im ready to turn it to a gold installer. Please help the experienced novice.

Im sure your lion install alone whether you dual, triple boot or not is great in itself. Lion belongs on the E6400. Please post tut if you can.

*Also any 775 socket owners interesed in a nice hackintoshable piece of hardware should consider tthe barebone XG41 Shuttle. Its a mini-itx form mini desktop and its components are very hackintosh friendly; ethernet..sound.. (still working on video but support exists) $149 @ time of posting

• 3 months later...

rachanta!!!!!!!!!! Please I beg of your E6400 MASTERY! Show me the way Sifu. train me in the arts lol. Kudos to you though you have the configuration I need. Please if you can post a baby step by baby step quick tutorial and post everything I would need to clone your lion as far as kexts, dsdt, etc. I would really appreciate it. Right now I believe im using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method i read from either this or another thread and seems everthing is working fine.....in snow leopard. I need Lion please. I have an 8GB flash drive i just bought today from fry's so im ready to turn it to a gold installer. Please help the experienced novice.

Im sure your lion install alone whether you dual, triple boot or not is great in itself. Lion belongs on the E6400. Please post tut if you can.

*Also any 775 socket owners interesed in a nice hackintoshable piece of hardware should consider tthe barebone XG41 Shuttle. Its a mini-itx form mini desktop and its components are very hackintosh friendly; ethernet..sound.. (still working on video but support exists) $149 @ time of posting

I don't believe he has a successful OS X Lion installation!. Just ego?

Hi Guys,thanks for all your sharing on installing Snow Leopard and Lion on this Dell E6400 notebook.Currently I've been able to run Lion 10.7.2 on my E6400,

I installed Lion by using a thumb drive,which I've made a bootable Lion Install Disk. Simple stuff as it is ,just restore base system image to the thumb drive,copy packages folder and mach_kernel from Lion install DVD, and put them in respective places in the thumb drive.You'll have to replace original 'osinstall' and 'osinstall.mpkg' with the right ones.

Install Chamelon,Copy Extra Folder and paste root directory of the thumb drive,delete or paste some kexts under S/L/E,and then everything is done.

Plug in your thumb drive,switch on your E6400 Laptop,choose to boot from usb device,press F8,then type -v -s, type some command lines to repair permissions of the thumb drive,otherwise you'll come up with countless headaches when you try to install.

After you've finished repairing permissions,type 'reboo't,then do this again:

'Plug in your thumb drive,switch on your E6400 Laptop,choose to boot from usb device'.

Just wait a few minutes, if you're lucky then you can start the installation process.

After installation is done,reboot into your newly installed Lion,set up all things as instructed.then again you'll need to add or replace some kexts under S/L/E folder,otherwise you'll get system panic when you try to boot into Lion later.Copy Extra folder to OS X drive's root directory. Run disk utility and repair disk permission.reboot,now chances are you get a working lion installed successfully!

Below is what's working and what's not.

Working part:

Wifi: Dell 1397 Wireless Mini Card,by using broadcomxxx_enabler.sh

Ethernet: Intel 82567 LM Gigabit Network Connection,by using intel 82566.kext

Bluetooth: Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth,by installing 370 bluetooth driver.

Shutdown&Restart: Out of the box!

Webcam: Out of the box! Facetime is useable.

Graphics Card: Out of the box! Haven't get the time to test video games or dual-monitor yet,but all I can say is so far so good.

Not-working-so-fine part:

Audio: Well, it kind of works, headphone/speaker just work,volume +/- also works,while every time you boot into Lion,you'll have to press the volume+ button on your keyboard to max the sound before you can really adjust the volume and hear any music.

If anyone has got a better audio kext, plz do tell me,I appreciate it.

Not-working part:

Sleep:this is commonly seen on hackintosh,still hope to see a solution!

Keyboard:can stop working at any time,which is totally unacceptable, because I want to use this wonderful machine with OS X installed,for work! Trackpad and Trackpoint just won't work!I've tried using different sets of Keyboard kexts,like:[AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext + ApplePS2Controller.kext],and [ AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext + VoodooPS2Controller.kext ],

CPU&Ram info:not recognized correctly

Can any one please tell me how can I get my keyboard stay working on Lion instead of suddenly become dumb without a warning? I really wish this could be solved,and I appreciate any help.

Hi Guys,thanks for all your sharing on installing Snow Leopard and Lion on this Dell E6400 notebook.Currently I've been able to run Lion 10.7.2 on my E6400,

I installed Lion by using a thumb drive,which I've made a bootable Lion Install Disk. Simple stuff as it is ,just restore base system image to the thumb drive,copy packages folder and mach_kernel from Lion install DVD, and put them in respective places in the thumb drive.You'll have to replace original 'osinstall' and 'osinstall.mpkg' with the right ones.

Install Chamelon,Copy Extra Folder and paste root directory of the thumb drive,delete or paste some kexts under S/L/E,and then everything is done.

Plug in your thumb drive,switch on your E6400 Laptop,choose to boot from usb device,press F8,then type -v -s, type some command lines to repair permissions of the thumb drive,otherwise you'll come up with countless headaches when you try to install.

After you've finished repairing permissions,type 'reboo't,then do this again:

'Plug in your thumb drive,switch on your E6400 Laptop,choose to boot from usb device'.

Just wait a few minutes, if you're lucky then you can start the installation process.

After installation is done,reboot into your newly installed Lion,set up all things as instructed.then again you'll need to add or replace some kexts under S/L/E folder,otherwise you'll get system panic when you try to boot into Lion later.Copy Extra folder to OS X drive's root directory. Run disk utility and repair disk permission.reboot,now chances are you get a working lion installed successfully!

Below is what's working and what's not.

Working part:

Wifi: Dell 1397 Wireless Mini Card,by using broadcomxxx_enabler.sh

Ethernet: Intel 82567 LM Gigabit Network Connection,by using intel 82566.kext

Bluetooth: Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth,by installing 370 bluetooth driver.

Shutdown&Restart: Out of the box!

Webcam: Out of the box! Facetime is useable.

Graphics Card: Out of the box! Haven't get the time to test video games or dual-monitor yet,but all I can say is so far so good.

Not-working part:

Sleep:this is commonly seen on hackintosh,still hope to see a solution!

Keyboard:can stop working at any time,which is totally unacceptable, because I want to use this wonderful machine with OS X installed,for work! Trackpad and Trackpoint just won't work!I've tried using different sets of Keyboard kexts,like:[AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext + ApplePS2Controller.kext],and [ AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext + VoodooPS2Controller.kext ],

CPU&Ram info:not recognized correctly

Can any one please tell me how can I get my keyboard stay working on Lion instead of suddenly become dumb without a warning? I really wish this could be solved,and I appreciate any help.

Hey, thanks for your post. I am unable to help you, as I am installing OSX right now for the first time. I have a question for you though: Does your Dell 1397 Wireless Mini Card a A/B/G/N card? I have an Intel 5150 which is incompatible and am looking for one to replace it... tanks!!

Hey, thanks for your post. I am unable to help you, as I am installing OSX right now for the first time. I have a question for you though: Does your Dell 1397 Wireless Mini Card a A/B/G/N card? I have an Intel 5150 which is incompatible and am looking for one to replace it... tanks!!

Hi dude, I'm sorry to tell you this Dell™ Wireless 1397 802.11g Mini PCI Express® Internal Card is designed as a single band card supporting 802.11b/g networks.So it's not a A/B/G/N card as is expected by you.It's recongnized as a 3rd-party wireless card instead of Airport card,but it works just fine enough.Pretty cheap card, I bought it for no more than $ 5 here in China.You have a fairly good chance to find the same model in your local area. Search this on eBay may work for you,I guess. :star_sunglasses:

Hi dude, I'm sorry to tell you this Dell™ Wireless 1397 802.11g Mini PCI Express® Internal Card is designed as a single band card supporting 802.11b/g networks.So it's not a A/B/G/N card as is expected by you.It's recongnized as a 3rd-party wireless card instead of Airport card,but it works just fine enough.Pretty cheap card, I bought it for no more than $ 5 here in China.You have a fairly good chance to find the same model in your local area. Search this on eBay may work for you,I guess. :star_sunglasses:

Thanks for your reply. I would like to get Wireless N, but if the speed is good, it should be fine. How is browsing speed in OSX for you?

Thanks for your reply. I would like to get Wireless N, but if the speed is good, it should be fine. How is browsing speed in OSX for you?

As far as I can tell, browsing speed is normal, YouTube video plays smoothly,safari runs like a charm.But if you do need better internet connection,do search Google for an answer.Good Luck!

Amazing! Can you please help me if you have anytime. I have a fresh, untouched SNow Leopard 10.6.3 install.

Up to now, I've been working under Lion for 2 more days,and so far so good:The system seems very stable,touchpad & Keyboard work just fine.

Thanks to China's GFW,my internet connection is too slow to upload my kexts or other files,which are necessary to make Lion work like a charm on E6400,to any web disk that people in your country(US,UK,Europe,etc) may use often.However if you like You can send me a message and leave me your email,so that I can send these files to you.And if you think these files can be more widely shared,then please do it. I believe those E6400 users who also want to use Lion on their machine will appreciate your sharing.^_^

Up to now, I've been working under Lion for 2 more days,and so far so good:The system seems very stable,touchpad & Keyboard work just fine.

Thanks to China's GFW,my internet connection is too slow to upload my kexts or other files,which are necessary to make Lion work like a charm on E6400,to any web disk that people in your country(US,UK,Europe,etc) may use often.However if you like You can send me a message and leave me your email,so that I can send these files to you.And if you think these files can be more widely shared,then please do it. I believe those E6400 users who also want to use Lion on their machine will appreciate your sharing. ^_^

No problem, I will host for you so everyone can have the files. I just ask, what is config of your E6400?

I have

Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8Ghz

4GB Ram

Nvidia Quadro NVS 160m

No problem, I will host for you so everyone can have the files. I just ask, what is config of your E6400?

I have

Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8Ghz

4GB Ram

Nvidia Quadro NVS 160m

Hi,I have

Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHZ

4GB Ram

Nvidia Quadro NVS 160m

Bluetooth

Web camera.

Sorry it's really late here in China,and I'm replying you from my iPad,while those kexts are stored on my laptop.I'll sent you all the files you need to build a good-enough Hackintosh tomorrow morning,so you can figure out how it works for you then.

When I fresh install Snow Leopard, the trackpad doesn't work and flips out, clicking randomly and flying around the screen. Even after installing ApplePS2Controller.text, it still has the same problem.

But I have the following working:

Battery

Sound

LAN

Bluetooth

Not working:

Video (Only display @ 1200x800... maybe graphicsenabler=yes will fix? Native res is 1400x900)

Wifi ( never will work - intel wifi link 5150)

Trackpad (see above)

I really want the trackpad to work, i hate using the nub.

When I fresh install Snow Leopard, the trackpad doesn't work and flips out, clicking randomly and flying around the screen. Even after installing ApplePS2Controller.text, it still has the same problem.

But I have the following working:

Battery

Sound

LAN

Bluetooth

Not working:

Video (Only display @ 1200x800... maybe graphicsenabler=yes will fix? Native res is 1400x900)

Wifi ( never will work - intel wifi link 5150)

Trackpad (see above)

I really want the trackpad to work, i hate using the nub.

Hi,in my case,the trackpad works normally, while the nub doesn't. I believe the trackpad/nub have different manufacturers so you may want to try on different keyboard kexts in order to make your trackpad work.It really needs your patience.

My video card(NVS 160m) is recognized correctly, and the res is 1440x900.

I've sent you all the files I use to make Lion work on my E6400.Hope to hear some good news from you soon. :star_sunglasses: BTW,you may wanna try on Chamelon Wizards,which's a great app for Hackintosh users.

Edited by jackhu