[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

You'll need to install the DSDT patch, which includes the CMOS reset fix.

regard,

MAJ

Ah, of course! Step seven in your script – the step you should only do on the Hack (I used my MacBook Pro to install SL for the Hack). Sorry for not following the pretty clear instructions. I was quite tiered yesterday when I did it....

Thanks for an awesome script!

I just need to get audio and networking to work then (and sleep if it doesn't work – haven't tried).

Maybe the Ethernet will work if I install the CMOS reset fix?

Hi jplee4907 and star-affinity.

To resolve your problem you must do the Dith's instructions :

Remove ATY_init.kext and replace it with evoenabler.kext, rebuild caches and reboot. Should be working fine after that.

http://www.kexts.com/view/6-evoenabler.kext.html

After that, no any boot freeze, everythings work perfectly :)

I have do the 10.6.1 MaJ by the apple software update.

And it works perfectly on reboot.

No kernel panic, no boot freeze.

You can do this MaJ Blindly. :)

I got my audio working using DSDT on my EX58-UD3R with an ALC888 audio chipset.

I wrote up a compilation of instructions in order to get it working, perhaps it's something you could include in your script Digital_Dreamer? Since I saw you had some DSDT patches in the Debug/Additions directory already :)

Anyway the instructions are located here

I do not own an EX58-UD5 board so unfortunately I can not tell you how to get the ALC889a going. A good place to start is the patching instructions guide.

EDIT:

I almost forgot! I've done 3 installations of Snow Leopard so far and every time when viewing / in Finder several directories where visible that usually are not. For Example private dev tmp etc. where visible.

I think this issue is related to BSD.pkg not installing properly from Leopard 10.5.7. Every single time I had to manually install BSD.pkg before I was able to repair permissions. In case anyone is wondering, open up a terminal and have your Snow Leopard install disc inserted and type the following:

sudo open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg

If BSD.pkg is not installed properly and you try to repair permissions it'll give you a message: Error: No installer packages can be found for this disk. I should also mention that after repairing permissions for the first time it's recommended to reboot. I experienced several issues afterwards eventually requiring a hard reset but after that everything was fine.

I found instructions on macosxhints.com on how to fix visibility of folders, attached to this thread is a zip file which contains the necessary files and a script. Download Hidden.zip and unpack it, open a terminal and navigate into the directory and execute hide.sh by typing: ./hide.sh

If the script does not want to execute try a chmod +x hide.sh and try executing it again.

Reference: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...071107023334449

Hidden.zip

hi - i was able to get this up and running but have a evga 285 card and upon boot the screen goes to sleep and blacks out. my process to get the evga up and running was the netkas installer and the retail evga drivers but since i cant get in to the system i cant install this. if i attach the drive back to my mac and try the installer for netkas works fine but then the evga installer only looks to install on my boot disk so i cant install to the snow drive. anyone have any suggestions on how i can get around the black screen or modify the evga installer to install on another drive other than the boot drive

I got my audio working using DSDT on my EX58-UD3R with an ALC888 audio chipset.

I wrote up a compilation of instructions in order to get it working, perhaps it's something you could include in your script Digital_Dreamer? Since I saw you had some DSDT patches in the Debug/Additions directory already

Yeah, Dith, it's all unfinished work. I'll get there eventually. I want to be able to select for various motherboards and pin configurations and have the DSDT portion modified based on those perimeters. :(

You have a nice write up in that thread.

If you guys want to edit your own DSDT for the UD5, you can do the following:

• Search and replace all AZAL entries with HDEF (There are two).
  • Add the following, starting at "Device (HDEF)" and ending prior to "Name (BUFA, ResourceTemplate ()":

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D, 
					0x05
				})
			}
		}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
		{
			Store (Package (0x0A)
				{
					"built-in", 
					Buffer (One)
					{
						0x00
					}, 

"codec-id", 
					Buffer (0x04)
					{
						0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
					}, 

"layout-id", 
					Buffer (0x04)
					{
						0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
					}, 

"device-type", 
					Buffer (0x11)
					{
						"ALC889a"
					}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
					Buffer (One)
					{
						0x00
					}
				}, Local0)
			DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
			Return (Local0)
		}

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
		{
			If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
					{
						/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
						/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
					}))
			{
				If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
				{
					If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
					{
						Store (Buffer (One)
							{
								0x03
							}, Arg4)
						Return (One)
					}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
					{
						Return (One)
					}
				}
			}

Store (Buffer (One)
				{
					0x00
				}, Arg4)
			Return (Zero)
		}

• Recompile and check for errors.
  • Install the included ALC889a.kext that's in Audio/_repository

Credit to Proengin.

regards,

MAJ

Can someone please confirm: Does Bonjour work 100% work 100% with MAJ's default Network kext for UD5 (RealtekR1000.kext)?

I have it installed in S/L/E and Bonjour doesn't seem to function quite right. I can see the UD5 Mac from other macs on the network but I can't connect to other Macs from the UD5 (they show up with default PC icon/address under Network in Finder)

thanks

Recompile and check for errors.

Install the included ALC889a.kext that's in Audio/_repository

Maj, Am I right in assuming that once patched the ALC889 kext goes in system and we then remove AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext?

Yeah, Dith, it's all unfinished work. I'll get there eventually. I want to be able to select for various motherboards and pin configurations and have the DSDT portion modified based on those perimeters. :P

You have a nice write up in that thread.

If you guys want to edit your own DSDT for the UD5, you can do the following:

• Search and replace all AZAL entries with HDEF (There are two).
  • Add the following, starting at "Device (HDEF)" and ending prior to "Name (BUFA, ResourceTemplate ()":

Device (HDEF)
		{
		}

• Recompile and check for errors.
  • Install the included ALC889a.kext that's in Audio/_repository

regards,

MAJ

Great to hear!

Have you considered submitting the script to some sort of CVS/Subversion like code.google.com? That way people could assist you in writing parts of the script. Just an idea :)

GA-EX58-UD5 + GF 9500 GT 256

Installing under Leo 10.5.8 on separate HDD

Bios settings are OK, AHCI - ON (if that matters)

Here are the problem and logs(installation failed, it is 4) Run Retail DVD installer):

a836aa0269b1.png

I got the same error. About 4 minutes left for completion, and I saw HP...something...boom...I got this screen. Tried 4 time on different 10.6 dmg/isos, but same thing. Interestingly, when I rebooted, it booted fine but no network/audio. Wish the post installation instructions are easy for me. :P

I got the same error. About 4 minutes left for completion, and I saw HP...something...boom...I got this screen. Tried 4 time on different 10.6 dmg/isos, but same thing. Interestingly, when I rebooted, it booted fine but no network/audio. Wish the post installation instructions are easy for me. :wallbash:

Turn those print drivers off in the install CD. You are now go for liftoff.

MAJ I took the liberty to write an additional option for your script. I hope you find it of use :wallbash:

Like I mentioned a few posts back I came across my Snow Leopard installation showing System Folders in Finder even though the default was set to hiding those. There's 2 files located in the OSInstall.pkg that are tasked with hiding these folders, I extracted these and placed them in the Hide folder.

I took your DSDT Patcher routine and adjusted it:

hide_root(){
echo -e "\n$SUB   Hiding Folders   $SUB\n" >> "$LOG"
splash
echo -e "${bold}${yellow}${rev} NOTE: ${plain}${yellow}\nThis will hide certain files and folders: ${bold}$TARGET_DRIVE_NAME - Disk$IDNTFR.${plain}${yellow}\nYou should only use this option if you see folders such as:\nprivate, var, tmp, cores, Volumes etc. in Finder on the root of your drive.\n\n${bold}!!This should be executed after you've booted into your new installation!!\n\nIf you press Yes Finder will be restarted.\n"
QSTN="${cyan}${bold}Continue?${plain}"; prompt_dy
if [ $RESPONSE == 0 ];then
echo -e "\nHiding canceled." >> "$LOG"
MSSG="${yellow}Hiding canceled.${plain}"
return;
fi
echo -e "\n\n${bold}${green}Hiding System Folders in /...${plain}"
cd "$SCRPT_PTH/~extra/Hide"
./SetHidden / hidden_MacOS9 >> "$LOG" 2>&1
killall Finder >> "$LOG" 2>&1
}

I left out the menu adjustment as you can see but in my adjustment I called the option: Hide System Folders/Files. The zip attached should be unpacked in /~extra/.

Hide.zip

which can be adapted

to running Snow Leopard on other modern boards.

kind regards,

MAJ

I'm excited that your new thread emblazons the idea of adapting your script to other motherboards. Can we start a thread for that, and provide one example to prime the pump? Could call it...

[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install on ANY Mobo, Fully scripted - Chameleon 2 RC3, Extra & EFI partition boot

I think we got to get it started outside this thread, since probably is 99% UD5 owners who read down into this thread.

I think people just need a wee bit more hand holding to kick it off. Something like...

1. Download the DD script

2. Change the kexts

3. Follow the guide as usual

4. Problems go in this thread, not the UD5 thread

5. People should post links to kext packs in this (the new) thread

Keep It Lit,

luh3417

Don't know in this case, especially since you've mentioned you did a clean install again and this failed. Something in your installation process has changed. It's easy to overlook a simple step, when we think we got it all down the first or second time. I've been there many times.

I've seen this situation before, where one would boot successfully on the initial attempt, but fail thereafter. This is likely happening because one has changed the install location of a kext or installed incompatible kexts afterward, thus bringing down the system on the next boot. For a example, if you're toggling a kext back to /Extra that is needed in /System (like a graphics kext) or vise versa - toggling a kext installed in /Extra to /System, then that will change the booting characteristics and, possibly, leave you with a stalled boot.

regards,

MAJ

Maj,

Thanks for your quick reply. There is something busted in my install or process. Last night I tried again several times in vain to do a clean install. I am installing on a new drive via an e-sata dock that I have. Once I finish the script fully including making the partition active and running DSDT patch - I quit the script at the point it asks to reboot. I then shutdown and remove my Leopard drive from its place and replace it with the new SL drive. This gets me booted into SL and then I create my account.

One peculiar thing I did notice during the process it says "contacting apple" before the user account is made and there is the spinning progress wheel. I bought a legit family pack for SL and the paranoid person in me is wondering if it somehow knows Im NOT an actual MacPro?

As I said I have had limited success I can boot once but not TWICE into SL. I use the default kexts and follow the scripts instructions to the letter. On my next install I am going to bypass the esata dock and have the SL drive in the 1st SATA position and my "booting/working Leopard drive' in the second SATA position.

My leopard install has been rock solid and I was looking forward to SL primarily to be able to access more RAM ( I am working with HUGE Camera RAW files). It was these advantages and the DIY aspect that drew me to "InsanelyMac" world :D

I am going to keep trying but the "dont steal mac OS" thing and "communicating with apple" have made me think its something more ominous. Should I install without ethernet connected?

Your script and help have been essential to this undertaking, like the many before me I "Thank You" profusely...

:)

Hello DD

I also would like to express my thanks for this great script. It all is working very smoothly.

The only thing to ultimate happiness is currently a working 64 bit network driver for the onboard networking hardware.

Cheers, Mike

I had this problem as well. I fixed it by downloading the realtek driver from psystar's website (under the opensouce section) and placing it in the system folder using DD's script. Not sure if it's a different version or if I somehow got lucky the second time.

Yeah. I tried that but no dice. It looks like that one shows up as i386 and the one included in the Script here is x86_64. I tried to flush cache through the terminal too, but that made no difference.

I just flashed the new BIOS (F9e) and it has a new option which seems to be great for OSX.

Instead of SATA/AHCI mode: Disabled / RAID / AHCI it replaced Disabled by IDE.

I selected IDE as SATA/AHCI mode and also IDE as SATA/IDE Ctrl mode and Leopard is working fine now (with intel chipset driver from iAtkos v7). I'm now trying to make snow leopard work in this mode as it boots a lot faster (you don't get the AHCI window after BIOS).

Just thought this might be useful to some :D I'll post further updates here.

Does the new BIOS have the new version of the AHCI BIOS (1.20E, I belive)? I heard boot times in AHCI mode are much quicker with the new version. See here for more:

HINT: GIGABYTE BIOSes with newest+fast AHCI-BIOS included, "normal" BIOSes have old AHCI=looooooong Boottime ;)

OK, now I'm almost happy. :D

The only thing I need help with is how do I get Mac OS X to boot in 32bit mode for the kernel automatically?

As it is now I have to type ”-v arch=i386” each time to get Ethernet and audio to work (I use Chameleon RC3 as bootloader).

EDIT:

OK, forget it – I had typed ”-arch=i386” in the ”com.apple.boot.plist” in /Extra so after a change to ”arch=i386” (without minus) it seems to stay 32bit between reboots.

BUT!

Now after updating to 10.6.1 (don't know if it's the update or something else, though) the Ethernet is dead (no IP address) even though I'm in 32bit mode! AAARGGGHHH!

What can be wrong?

Does the new BIOS have the new version of the AHCI BIOS (1.20E, I belive)? I heard boot times in AHCI mode are much quicker with the new version. See here for more:

HINT: GIGABYTE BIOSes with newest+fast AHCI-BIOS included, "normal" BIOSes have old AHCI=looooooong Boottime :D

My UD5 rig is using F8e and AHCI 1.20E is included. I've upgraded another UD5 to F9e and it also had the newer AHCI version.

EDIT:

If BSD.pkg is not installed properly and you try to repair permissions it'll give you a message: Error: No installer packages can be found for this disk. I should also mention that after repairing permissions for the first time it's recommended to reboot. I experienced several issues afterwards eventually requiring a hard reset but after that everything was fine.

I am getting the same error.

I successfully loaded SL and all drivers are working properly on my system (booting in 32 bit mode) except for this one error when checking the permissions in the disk utility. Is it wise to ignore it or should I reinstall the BSD.pkg - I guess installing a core package such as BSD.pkg could have repercussions elsewhere. I also tired updating SL as suggested in in this forum . Though it updates smoothly to 10.6.1, the permissions error remains.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Also for anybody with GTS 250 card trying to use dual monitor: - NVkush kext works the best. (NVinject will also work well, but with reduced functions - w/o mirroring or rotating in case you have multiple monitors ). I also tried EFI string, but I was not able to get the second monitor up - though it might be because of some mistake on my part too.

Can someone please confirm: Does Bonjour work 100% work 100% with MAJ's default Network kext for UD5 (RealtekR1000.kext)?

I have it installed in S/L/E and Bonjour doesn't seem to function quite right. I can see the UD5 Mac from other macs on the network but I can't connect to other Macs from the UD5 (they show up with default PC icon/address under Network in Finder)

Hi,

Have the same problem as Cosmin Petre. This results in that I can't connect my networks printers, which is quite a disadvantage on my "photo system" :)

Any one sitting on a solution?

However, except for this problem everything works fantastic well.

Tanks a lot MAJ for your work! :P

/LE

Maj, Am I right in assuming that once patched the ALC889 kext goes in system and we then remove AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext?

Yes, correct.

One peculiar thing I did notice during the process it says "contacting apple" before the user account is made and there is the spinning progress wheel. I bought a legit family pack for SL and the paranoid person in me is wondering if it somehow knows Im NOT an actual MacPro?

I am going to keep trying but the "dont steal mac OS" thing and "communicating with apple" have made me think its something more ominous. Should I install without ethernet connected?

Yes, you can boot without the Ethernet plugged in. The OS will detect the "unplugged" state and skip the connect process.

If you have the smbios.plist set for MacPro4,1, I think you'll be seen as a Intel Mac Pro, as far as software updates are concerned. Not sure Apple links that info with your account, but who knows, black helicopters may be on standby.

OK, forget it – I had typed ”-arch=i386” in the ”com.apple.boot.plist” in /Extra so after a change to ”arch=i386” (without minus) it seems to stay 32bit between reboots.

BUT!

Now after updating to 10.6.1 (don't know if it's the update or something else, though) the Ethernet is dead (no IP address) even though I'm in 32bit mode! AAARGGGHHH!

What can be wrong?

Yes, adding "arch=i386" without the quotes as part of your Kernel Flags will set you up.

Dead Ethernet: pull power cord for 10 secs.

regards,

MAJ

I found instructions on macosxhints.com on how to fix visibility of folders, attached to this thread is a zip file which contains the necessary files and a script. Download Hidden.zip and unpack it, open a terminal and navigate into the directory and execute hide.sh by typing: ./hide.sh

If the script does not want to execute try a chmod +x hide.sh and try executing it again.

Reference: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...071107023334449

LOL!

I had just worked on this. Got off work at noon today and found likely the same macosxhints.com page as you did.

Extracted the "hidden_MacOS9" file, which is just a list of the files/symlinks to be hidden, and SetHidden from the /Tools directory.

Anyhow, will be squeezing this at the end of OS X DVD install procedure.

MAJ

As I said I have had limited success I can boot once but not TWICE into SL.

Thinking about this, again.

Can you post for us your kernel.log and system.log from that boot volume after your failed boot attempt?

In Terminal:

cd /Volumes/YOUR_SNOW_LEOPARD_VOLUME/var/log
cp kernel.log ~/Desktop
cp system.log ~/Desktop

MAJ

What is involved in getting the script to work on other motherboards? Is it just a matter of trying various sets of kexts until it works?

Not clear to me why blackOSX uses this complicated process involving Koalala's ACPI patcher, while DD just invokes a program that creates the dsdt.aml in one shot. Does the dsdt utility used in the DD script would work on these other motherboards?

I tried to get my EP35-DS3P to work using the DD script. Got SL to install once I unchecked printers and languages. Tried using DD's dsdt utility, EFI string graphics in boot.plist, and then copying into the DD script folder the exact same set of kexts that blackOSX uses for the EP45-DS3 (just the 32 bit ones), but I consistently get the same kernel panic during boot. I'd sort of like to see what kext is causing the kernel panic, but the panic clears the screen, is there a way around this? All I can think of is to shoot a movie of it and go back a few frames... seems to several screens worth into the kexts, then page fault somewhere in the letter T...

Am I right here that with other motherboards on can simply go through the (SL) DD script including dsdt, at which point its mostly a matter of retrying different subsets of kexts until it works?