HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

Wizard-

In step e you state the following:

e. Copy "dsdt.aml" from the download pack to the root directory of your Snow drive, but only if you have the same motherboard/cpu setup as me. If not, or if you encounter weird problems later, use the DSDT patcher GUI (also in download pack). To use that, just open the app, choose "Darwin/Mac OS X," check "Apple DSDT Patch to:", select your 10.6 drive from the drop-down, and hit "Run DSDT Patcher."

I don't see the dsdt.aml file in your pack of files...

How do I create one? I dont think I can run the patcher script on my Macbook Pro correct?

I have the same MOBO/Config as you do.

Forgive the NOBO question....

Thanks,

Dan

Do you have your sata drives set to AHCI mode?

yes

I was having the other hard drive speed issues until I cleaned up some of the extra kexts from the original install... Mainly, I think the one that probably nixed the issue was removing ApplePIIXATA.kext

I also got rid of ATAPortInjector.kext as well.

Other than that -- I left everything else in place....

Asus P6T-SE

these are the kexts I have been using:

• fakesmc.kext.zip
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext_for_snow_64.tar
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext_for_snow_64.tar
  • VoodooHDA_Pref.zip
  • AHCIPortInjector.kext.zip
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.zip

Also using DSDT.aml with CMOS fix

And I am always getting "Still waiting for root device".

Then I tried this:

post-449346-1252309610_thumb.jpg

Finally the root device was detected but got KERNEL PANIC, any ideas?

Use a different bootloader. Try pcefi9boot.zip

rename it to 'boot' and replace your current 'boot' file on the root of you SL drive. Remember to make a backup.

If that works, boot into SL, and go to disk utility to repair permissions. That ought to let you return to the bootloader you're using now.

yes

these are the kexts I have been using:

• fakesmc.kext.zip
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext_for_snow_64.tar
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext_for_snow_64.tar
  • VoodooHDA_Pref.zip
  • AHCIPortInjector.kext.zip
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.zip

Also using DSDT.aml with CMOS fix

And I am always getting "Still waiting for root device".

Then I tried this:

post-449346-1252309610_thumb.jpg

Finally the root device was detected but got KERNEL PANIC, any ideas?

regarding the "still waiting for root devices" error on V2. The error seems to be fixed by randomly plugging in the sata to different ports. Make sure the other hdd's are unplugged for the first time. once you get a successful boot. Plug the hdds and leave ur snow hdd plugged where it was working. That's what I did when I had the same problem with leopard.

Has anyone gotten proper reboot working after resuming from standby? It's literally the only thing left for me keeping me from a perfect install.

I think there might be a problem with openhaltrestart.kext not working properly after standby? Not sure..

- Dojomann

did you make your own DSDT? or which one are you using from the zip pack?

Whats your BIOS version?

My board is V1. I wonder whether the DSDT is causing the problem?

Can you post please what exactly are you using? kexts, folder you put in, pcefi, chameleoon.

boot flags, bios settings change?

STILL KERNEL PANIC for me.

Can anyone please post a DSDT.aml for v1?

Hi,

I've been able installing SL on P5Q-E! But I have trouble to get my Gainward 9800 GT 512 run.

Here is what I did and tried.

Made an bootable USB-stick with SL-Installer on it and also Chameleon 2 EFI 10.1

Flashed my ROM with "1901_BIOS_Asus_P5Q_E_for_MAC_OS_X___all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM"

Corrected the settings for AHCI.

Boot from USB, then after the install finished I start again from USB and choose my fresh installed Snow disk.

I get the welcome screen and all. Install Chameleon on it, make an DSDT.alm file.

put a com.apple.Boot.plist 64bit, smbios.plist, all the required Extentions and so on.

I've created an EFI-string for my graphics cards and past it in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

used Kext util.

Then when I restart it starts well I can hear the fan from Video-card drop down at normal speed but I only get a black screen!???

I've tried many different scenarios but it just will not work.

When I boot with -F GraphicsEnabler=Yes my video works just fine with all the resolutions I want.

Any Idea what is wrong or What else to do?? would be fine!

Ed

p.s. My signature is from another system

Hi all; just to share some info.

I was able to have, finally, a working stable installation of SL (i.e. no crashes, KP or other amenities of the like, and this from some days…).

I slightly went back the Leopard installation way for this MoBo (take a look at MJ guide) and I have set up an EFI partition installation.

I do have a P6T Deluxe V2 6GB 1600 Cosrair RAM, i7 950 (by the way I'm using busratio=23, but I've just guessed sitting between 940 and 970... it is fine?) nVidia GTX 285 2GB and a coupple of old, real real old 80GB sata HDs. Default BIOS setting but HT enabled. BIOS version 0504

I've chosen this "old" method since the one from wziard here made me nut from the number of KP and I was really sick of rebooting the darn MoBo.

wziard thanx so much for putting all the info togheter and the kexts: whitout your help in finding the good stuff probably I could not have make it...

Just installed from a USB stick booting from 10.5.8 on a GUID formatted WD 80GB (1,5 not 3 MB) slow, real slow HD.

While the installer was doing its job I've lunched Chameleon from wziard pack an choose to install the EFI option (need to click on customize).

I then mounted the newly EFI partition:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hsf /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

From terminal and being su/root (use sudo or su) I do have copied the wziard Kexts in the Extra/Extensions.

I do have recompiled the DSDL.aml and copied in /Volume/EFI since I do have another CPU following information here.

Copy it togheter with the boot from wziard in Extra. Same for smbios.plist again in Extra.

I do also copied in it the vanilla kernel in /Volume/EFI.

Rebuild the Extra/Extension chache installed not there but directly in SLE otherwise… no audio… VooDoo Audio.

I have found from DiskUtility the HD UUID. Worked out the EFI string for my video card using any of the method you like (Acquamac, EFI Studio, etc.).

With all the info I do have copied in /Extra a modified version of com.apple.Boot.plist that looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
       <key>Kernel</key>
       <string>mach_kernel</string>
       <key>Kernel Flags</key>
       <string></string>
       <string>bt(0,0)/mach_kernel busratio=23 boot-uuid=YOUR HD UUID</string>
       <key>device-properties</key>
       <string>VERY LONG HEX VIDEO EFI STRING</string>
       <key>Graphics Mode</key>
       <string>YOUR SCREEN RES AND DEPTH</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I edited the IONetworkingfamily as wizard.

And finally rebooted the thing.

I got at the chosen resolution the green chameleon screen and start first time with -v -f options…

It boots in 30 seconds to the initial SL splash screen at my video resolution: not an error (besides NVinject with I do have late removed).

During boot no error (I checked in dmesg too…)

Performance: not bad at all even HD; seems to me the second HDs it is a bit slow but I'm able to copy a 14GB dmg file from the secondary HD to the SL one in 4 minutes that it is not so bad using my 2 old SATA-1 HDs.

TODO

One annoying thing is that the HDs icons (even USB stick) are folder icons and not disk one and by now cannot understand why. Probably I messed up some KEXTs.

Try to boot and use the MoBo from a disk different from position 0 (ie the first).

I do not have ANY KP in at least 3 days of normal usage.

It use 64b kernel (but switch to 32 as soon need to use VMWare... or other not working apps). Video at full speed (QE & CI).

Thanks to all from this thread and the others about this MoBo.

Alright, First off here are my specs:

ASUS P6T (not deluxe)

12gb DDR3 1600

1.5tb sata

Nvidia GTX 285

******EDIT********

ALL BETTER NOW :thumbsup_anim:

I am able to install 10.5.8 just fine. Now I want to move over to SL and I have yet to get the install to boot once. I have tried at least 20 installs with 20 different guides including this one. I followed the steps EXACTLY as they are listed to no avail. I am losing my mind trying to get this to boot.

The install goes flawless, when i go to boot after the chamelon screen I am greeted almost instantly by a big hault graphic telling me to power down.

I try again with -v to see whats going on and I notice there is a loading error on all the kexts from extra pretty much and a bad magic number malformed etc. and it gets stuck at serialatapi reconfiguration error.

If anyone has got this to boot on my mobo and could offer some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I will try again now to get the exact errors to list here.

I was having the other hard drive speed issues until I cleaned up some of the extra kexts from the original install... Mainly, I think the one that probably nixed the issue was removing ApplePIIXATA.kext

I also got rid of ATAPortInjector.kext as well.

Other than that -- I left everything else in place....

Asus P6T-SE

Did you have to do anything different for the P6T SE ? Did the original DSDT work or did you have to change anything, eg for ethernet etc ?

- Dojomann

did you make your own DSDT? or which one are you using from the zip pack?

Whats your BIOS version?

My board is V1. I wonder whether the DSDT is causing the problem?

Can you post please what exactly are you using? kexts, folder you put in, pcefi, chameleoon.

boot flags, bios settings change?

STILL KERNEL PANIC for me.

Can anyone please post a DSDT.aml for v1?

I made my own dsdt and added a couple of patches hoping to fix the restart issue... didn't fix that but I'm able to use stock intelcpupowermanagement.kext, works fine.

Only difference between v1 and v2 of the board is no SAS controllers for the v2 board.

Either way, give it a shot:

dsdt.zip

Okay, best way to install snow leopard on my board.

ASUS P6T Deluxe v2

core i7 920 @ 3.2 ghz

6gb ddr3 1600 ram

gtx 275 896mb

seagate 64gb sata hdd

samsung sata dvd-rw

You have to have a working leopard install. (which shouldn't be terribly hard to get going using something like iATKOS v7 and the DSDT.aml I've included)

• Restore the snow leo dmg to a usb thumb drive/ sd card/ external hard drive, whatever it is. (needs to be around 8gb to fit all the stuff)

• Install Chameleon RC3 onto your Leopard install (this will be useful later, and skips a step for our first snow kitty boot)

• Once that's done install Chameleon RC3 onto it (the snow leo install disk that we made on a usb thumb drive), and put the included kexts in the /extra/extensions folder

• Remember to edit the info.plist in the platformuuid.kext and insert the UUID of the partition that snow leopard is going to be installed on.

• Replace the Extra folder on the Root of the usb drive with the one provided.

• Boot into your newly created USB snow leopard install drive, install snow leo to partition with the UUID you setup in your platformuuid.kext

• Now, reboot your computer and get back into your Leopard install, and copy that Extra folder to the root of your fresh snow leopard partition, except for the com.apple.boot.plist.

1. (really you just need to edit out the -f kernel flag I've placed in there, otherwise booting will take forever every time.)

• Now, with luck you should be able to boot into your new snow leopard install with most everything working out of the box. (if you have an asus p6t deluxe v2 mobo with an nvidia gfx card and a core i7 processor)

I haven't actually done this myself in this exact order (because I did this earlier before chameleon rc3 came out) but it should work... I think. No guarantees.

PARALLEL ATA DRIVES WILL NOT WORK IN SNOW LEOPARD'S 64-BIT KERNEL.

You can, however use leopard extensions and run in 32-bit mode and they will work just fine.

Oh, and there still is the 2nd SATA drive issue for speed and responsiveness. You have to go into the bios and turn off AHCI and set it to IDE-Compatible.

Extra.zip

After a ton of work I managed to get this bad boy up and going. I Installed Chameleon RC3, trashed the nvidia injector, added the graphics enabler into boot.plist, booted into safe mode and used kext utilty as well as reinstalling the BSD.pkg so that disk utility would repair the permissions (I had the missing packages error)......then here I am. Typing from SL :)

Now to start tweaking the hell outta her.

Thanks for this guide, all the comments, and anyone and everyone that works with this stuff.

Just wanted to post my success story..

To anyone experiencing never ending kernel panics: the way I fixed it was by deleting the dsdt.aml supplied in this post, its no good even with same hardware. You must go into bios, disable HT and enable 1 core, and at boot type "cpus=1 -x -v" then use dsdt patcher gui to make yourself a dsdt.aml

I am running successfully:

Asus P6t Deluxe V2

Core i7 920 @ default speeds

12 GB OCZ 1600 ram

nvidia gtx 285

Everything is working great except

1) I cant put it to sleep, still working on that.. fans just keep running

2) using Voodoo audio, surround sound works however i only get mono signal in headphones connected to speakers

3) stuck in IDE mode

Thanks to everyone making this work

After a ton of work I managed to get this bad boy up and going. I Installed Chameleon RC3, trashed the nvidia injector, added the graphics enabler into boot.plist, booted into safe mode and used kext utilty as well as reinstalling the BSD.pkg so that disk utility would repair the permissions (I had the missing packages error)......then here I am. Typing from SL :P

Now to start tweaking the hell outta her.

Thanks for this guide, all the comments, and anyone and everyone that works with this stuff.

Amen for Chameleon!!! If you use this, you only need a modified com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra with the following options per the boothelp.txt that I suggest:

Options useful in the com.apple.Boot.plist file:

Wait=Yes|No Prompt for a key press before starting the kernel.

"Quiet Boot"=Yes|No Use quiet boot mode (no messages or prompt).

Timeout=8 Number of seconds to pause at the boot: prompt.

"Instant Menu"=Yes Force displaying the partition selection menu.

GraphicsEnabler=Yes|No Automatic device-properties generation for graphics cards.

VideoROM=<file> Use an alternate ROM image (default path: /NVIDIA.ROM).

VBIOS=Yes|No Inject VBIOS to device-properties.

EthernetBuiltIn=Yes|No Automatic "built-in"=yes device-properties generation

for ethernet interfaces.

If you do these things... no need for efi strings for graphics ... and your time machine will work with the EthernetBuiltIn set to YES for EN0... and it will automatically countdown/load SL from the boot menu.

Chameleon is always the way to go IMO. RC3 is no different

What board do you have? Did you remember to remove the "alias" bits from the dsdt.dsl and then recompile it? Otherwise more than one core won't work.

I have the Asus P6T Deluxe V2, I looked at the dsdt.dsl after the GUI ran and it looked like it automatically did the removal and recompile. Am I wrong?

If it looks like this:

Scope (_PR)
{
Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
Alias (P001, CPU1)
Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P002, CPU2)
Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P003, CPU3)
Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P004, CPU4)
Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P005, CPU5)
Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P006, CPU6)
Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P007, CPU7)
Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P008, CPU8)
Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P009, CPU9)
Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
}

it isn't patched.

if it looks like this

Scope (_PR)
{
Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
}

it is.

(just to clarify, the 2nd set is what you want it to look like)

Anyhows I posted my DSDT.aml a page ago and i have the same board... so if nothing else you might want to give that one a shot.

First of all thank you all for your tons of informations and HowTo's !

I finally got a good working Snow Leo installation on my

Asus P6T WS Board (a bit different from the DeluxeV2)

Core i7 920 CPU

NVidia QuadroFX 570 GFX Card

12GIG DDR3 Ram

SATA Disk

Everything is working great (including Halt/Restart, GFX, Networking) except Audio.

I folllowed the beginning of the HowTo from wziard and got stuck at the FakeSMC and VoodoAudio problem. After many many installs i switched over to the Extra.Zip from Dojomann and Chameleon RC3 and got it runnning.

Installation was pretty easy, just installed Snow Leo from my working Leo installation to another Disc, copied the kexts from Dojomann's Extra.ZIP, build my own dstl.aml with the DSDTPatcher GUI from my running LEO installation, copied the boot.plist and thats it.

I ended in a working Snow Leo installation with working LAN, GFX, 32/64 Bit without any trouble.

Just Audio doesnt work till now. I tried the AD2000b.kext from the Extra.ZIP and the original AD2000b.kext including HDAEnabler from Dojomann's earlier Post, but i dont get Sound working. It seems that Audio is detected as i can see a HardwareID in the Systemprofiler but i dont see any Devices there. On my working LEO install i also use a AD2000b.kext from The_KiNG and there i can see all my Devices/Jacks and its working great. But on Snow Leo it wont work for me.

Hopefully i find a solution for Audio...

The rest is working great. Thank you all for your work !