HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

Yeah, the first return was the one that was actually generated. The second return and the "zero" stuff at the end is part of the hack/patch thing included with dsdtse (evosx86 team dsdt editor)..

Didn't seem to make a huge difference I don't think?

I'll try to remove the first return and see what happens.

EDIT: no difference. although note that the patch did allow me to use s3 sleep without sleepenabler.kext

oh and shutdown/restart only works if i don't use s3 standby. after i've gone and come back from standby even once i won't be able to shutdown/restart.

I have 10.5.8 up and running smoothly and I can't even get to the bootloader for some reason. I keep getting the error screen that is GPT:error listed (or something along those lines, my screen cuts off the beginning of the message).

PLEASE HELP!

My system is:

Asus P6T Deluxe V1

Sapphire RADEON 4870 1 GB Toxic

Two 1.5 TB Seagates (one has 10.5.8 the other is the future SL disc)

Two Seagate Cheetahs in RAID 0 for windows 7 (shouldn't do anything)

6 GB OCZ DDR3-2000

i7 920 OC'd to 3.8 with speedstep and turboboost

Thanks!

My pc only has windows 7 on it and i want to be able to dual boot with snow leopard. I also have a macbook pro, I was following your guide and got a bit confused, i'm assuming i would have to take the hdd out my pc (this is a separate hdd to the windows hdd), put it in an enclosure and connect to the macbook. I would then install snow leopard onto that hdd, even though I'm already booted into snow leopard on my macbook..is that correct? So essentially we're installing an os onto an external hdd?

well followed guide up to yukon fix... then tried to boot...

chameleon loads fine...

-v just to see whats happening

nothing seems to be up... appears to about to boot

then black screen...

then hd light is still going so assume graphics related... tried to boot in every mode possible to try and get a picture but nothing... its a gtx 285 1gig... what can i do prior to trying to boot using my leopard install to get this to boot...

didnt have the problem with leopard... and have a perfect running 10.5.8 right now...

well followed guide up to yukon fix... then tried to boot...

chameleon loads fine...

-v just to see whats happening

nothing seems to be up... appears to about to boot

then black screen...

then hd light is still going so assume graphics related... tried to boot in every mode possible to try and get a picture but nothing... its a gtx 285 1gig... what can i do prior to trying to boot using my leopard install to get this to boot...

didnt have the problem with leopard... and have a perfect running 10.5.8 right now...

I had the same issue, and i could clearly tell the system wasn't frozen as i saw my flash drive blink whenever i hit enter or moved the mouse around.

I tried my cheap, backup video card (Geforce 7200GS 256mb) and low and behold, no more black screen and straight to the install!

After installation, i was able to load the GTX285 kexts and threw my card back in, everything worked perfectly (didn't even have to adjust the resolution, it detected my monitor and everything).

I had the same issue, and i could clearly tell the system wasn't frozen as i saw my flash drive blink whenever i hit enter or moved the mouse around.

I tried my cheap, backup video card (Geforce 7200GS 256mb) and low and behold, no more black screen and straight to the install!

After installation, i was able to load the GTX285 kexts and threw my card back in, everything worked perfectly (didn't even have to adjust the resolution, it detected my monitor and everything).

what kexts???

i played around there and i now get aatpi erroro or somehtinglike that it cant find it... so not even getting that far there...

Just wanted to say thank you to the OP for putting together the SL package zip, which helped me get everything running (sound, ethernet, you name it) on the very first try.

Since i was not able to hook my drive up to the mac i had available to me (an old G4 iMac), i used the following guide to get started:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

Booting and installed right off of an 8gb flash drive. Had some issues but they were user-error related (not making sure i actually executed every single step, for example putting an "Extras" folder onto the flash drive instead of "Extra").

Once again, thank you - successfully posting from SL, all cores and 12gb of ram pumping away ;)

what kexts???

i played around there and i now get aatpi erroro or somehtinglike that it cant find it... so not even getting that far there...

Maybe "kext" was the wrong term to use here (sorry i'm new at this), but i used the following guide to create what i needed for my GTX 285 to not give me a black screen upon booting:

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...=509&page=1

Yeah, the first return was the one that was actually generated. The second return and the "zero" stuff at the end is part of the hack/patch thing included with dsdtse (evosx86 team dsdt editor)..

Didn't seem to make a huge difference I don't think?

I'll try to remove the first return and see what happens.

EDIT: no difference. although note that the patch did allow me to use s3 sleep without sleepenabler.kext

oh and shutdown/restart only works if i don't use s3 standby. after i've gone and come back from standby even once i won't be able to shutdown/restart.

Hi, I don't have the WAK fix on my DSDT and I can also s3 sleep without sleepenabler.kext. Can 2 returns be there? because I think only the first one is going to be exectuted.

When you do a shutdown/restart (without having an s3 sleep first) does it take a while or is it instantly?

Snow Leopard Retail Install on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Intro: This guide is basically pulling together bits and pieces from a hundred different things I read in the process of figuring this out, but I do believe I now have a good, clean method of installing Snow Leopard a432 (retail edition) on my hardware. This should work with most similar hardware configurations, just be aware that I've written the audio/ethernet/graphics section specifically for the P6T Deluxe V2 and my graphics card. My setup:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.3ghz

nVidia GTS 250

1gb WD SATA drive

*note before beginning: I use the terms "copy" and "move" interchangeably; I'm not being specific.

**other note: Since you will be doing all of the setup from a drive/OS other than the 10.6 installation you're installing, keep in mind that "/System/Library/Extensions" is on your current system, while "/Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions" is the Snow Leopard drive. Just make sure you're not accidentally doing anything to your own system throughout the guide.

I. Installing Snow Leopard

This can be done a variety of ways, all we're trying to do is get a clean retail installation of SL onto a fresh disk/partition. Since I have a MacBook Pro and an external SATA enclosure, I just attached my drive to the laptop and installed straight from the disc, so that is what I will describe. If you have multiple internal drives you could copy the retail DVD to a drive and run the installer from there, or run it straight from the disc onto the drive you'll be installing on, whatever. All you need to end up with is a hard drive with a clean 10.6 install on it.

a. Connect USB SATA drive to Mac

b. Open Disk Utility. Select the USB drive in the sidebar and erase/reformat it, I used Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). In this guide I will assume the name of the drive is "Snow." Ensure that the Partition Map Scheme is GUID. If it's not, click the "Partition" tab and setup a single partition (or more, if you desire, one is easiest though) with GUID.

c. IMPORTANT: Once the reformat/partitioning is complete, go to "Get Info" on the drive and look toward the bottom. Unlock the "Sharing & Permissions" section and uncheck "Ignore Ownership."

d. To run the installer, open Terminal and enter the following:

open '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'

* This assumes you're running it straight from the disc. If this is not the case (for instance if you made a .dmg of the disc and then restored it to a separate drive/partition), amend the file path appropriately.

e. Click through the install dialogue, click "Customize" and deselect printer driver, additional fonts, additional languages that you don't want. Let the install go, should take around 15-20 minutes.

II. Installing Bootloader and DSDT patch

a. Download this pack of useful materials that I have generously put together: click

b. Run the Chameleon installer (Chameleon-2-1.0-r431.pkg) and be sure to change the install location to the drive you just put 10.6 on.

c. Run this in terminal:

sudo -s
  rm /Volumes/Snow/boot

* Remember to change the above path if your 10.6 drive is not called "Snow"

d. From the download pack, move "boot" to the root directory of your Snow drive. (The last step was deleting the old one, you're just replacing it with one that will work.)

e. Copy "dsdt.aml" from the download pack to the root directory of your Snow drive, but only if you have the same motherboard/cpu setup as me. If not, or if you encounter weird problems later, use the DSDT patcher GUI (also in download pack). To use that, just open the app, choose "Darwin/Mac OS X," check "Apple DSDT Patch to:", select your 10.6 drive from the drop-down, and hit "Run DSDT Patcher."

III. Kexts and smbios

a. Open the folder "Kexts" in the download pack and copy them all to /Snow/Extra/Extensions. You can also throw in any kexts I didn't include that you know you will need, if you're using different hardware.

b. Put "Kext Utility" (from the download pack) in Applications, your dock, wherever, and drag the folder /Snow/Extra/Extensions onto it. This will repair the kext permissions and create a new Extensions.mkext file.

c. Move "smbios.plist" from the download pack into /Snow/Extra.

IV. Ethernet fix (only for Asus P6T's Yukon 88E8056)

a. Open up Terminal, enter the following:

sudo nano /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> and make it <key>Yukon-88E8056</key> (change 53 to 56)

Find <string>0x436211AB</string> and make it <string>0x436411AB</string></key> (change 62 to 64)

Find <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> and make it <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA</string> (change 53 to 56)

Hit ctrl + o and then enter to save the file, then ctrl + x to exit nano.

AT THIS POINT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RESTART, SEE THE LOVELY CHAMELEON BOOTLOADER SCREEN, SELECT YOUR LEOPARD DRIVE, AND BOOT TO IT. If you don't see the lovely Chameleon bootloader screen make sure you're booting to the proper drive/partition, etc. If you encounter strange error(s) while booting, enter "-v" on the chameleon screen (just type it and it will show up on the bottom, then hit enter to boot) and see what it reports.

Edit: at this point you should be doing the last couple steps from your new Snow Leopard system, not from the remote system. Cleverly, we fixed ethernet before the first boot (how cool are we), so that should work.

V. Graphics fix

Props to Aquamac for his work on this. I'm just reposting his instructions here for convenience.

a. Download the necessary files for your nVidia graphics card (I'm not sure what to do for ATI cards, look around) from this page (the one in the download pack is for GTS 250): click

b. Copy the two files you downloaded (gfxutil and in.plist) to your desktop.

c. Enter this in Terminal:

cd ~/desktop 
  ./gfxutil -f display

You'll get something like this returned: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0xe,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

d. Copy that string, open "in.plist", and replace the provided string with the one you copied. Save in.plist.

e. Back in the same Terminal window, do this:

./gfxutil -i xml -o hex ./in.plist ./out.hex

f. A file called "out.plist" has appeared, magically, it seems, on your Desktop. Open it in a text editor and copy the string (or memorize it).

g. Open "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" in a text editor, and add some lines at the bottom before </dict></plist>:

<key>device-properties</key>
  <string>PASTE YOUR LONG HEX STRING HERE!</string>
  <key>Graphics Mode</key>
  <string>1280x1024x32</string>

*Stick your own screen resolution in there so system startup looks nice.

h. Save that file, or if it won't let you, save it under a different name somewhere else, delete the original, and copy the new one over (with the same name as the original, com.apple.Boot.plist).

i. Also put the new com.apple.Boot.plist in /Volumes/Snow/Extra/.

VI. Sound Fix

a. Terminal:

rm /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

b. From the downloaded package, drag "VoodooHDA.kext" to Kext Utility, it will install it.

That's all.

Run Kext Utility again to make sure all permissions are set right, restart, and you should have working graphics and sound! Actually, only the line-out works and not my front headphone jack, but this is the best I could find. If anyone gets it fully working let us know. Also I can't get IDE devices to show up even with the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, if someone figures that out I'd love to know.

If you have questions, or encounter problems, or notice that I've forgotten something, I'll attempt to help. Good luck.

- wziard

Hi,sorry for my english.i cant install Chameleon-2-1.0-r431.pkg ,installation not succesfully.

THX

hmmm still stuck..added the efi string for the graphics card in to the com.apple.... and i am still stuck at boot... using verbose mode i get

SerialATAPI device reconfiguration did not complete succesfully. (failedCommandInfo = 0x1)

what is that??? any ideas???

if i dont use verbose mode i just get a black screen and still some hard drive activity...

edit- just gave up for the night and tried to boot up my leopard hd and now its not working... going to cry...

Hi, I don't have the WAK fix on my DSDT and I can also s3 sleep without sleepenabler.kext. Can 2 returns be there? because I think only the first one is going to be exectuted.

When you do a shutdown/restart (without having an s3 sleep first) does it take a while or is it instantly?

I removed the first return in my current DSDT, so if anything it should help? I dunno. Doesn't really make a difference.

Also, yeah it's pretty much instant (most of the time anyways?) if reboot does work.

I removed the first return in my current DSDT, so if anything it should help? I dunno. Doesn't really make a difference.

Also, yeah it's pretty much instant (most of the time anyways?) if reboot does work.

So you removed "Return (WAKP)" right?

In my case reboot and shutdown don't work ;)

Hmm... now I'm not sure I'm reporting the right thing.. I'll check that it still works now that you mention it :\

I removed the original return for the WAK method and added the "fixed" one, but it does nothing on this motherboard.

Is there anyone who have a working FIREWIRE...???

I don't have any firewire devices so I don't know, maybe someone else could tell you.

Which bootloader are you using? AFAIK anything older than chameleon 2 rc3 needs to have the leopard partition be under 1 terabyte.

Exactly what I thought. RC3 still gives me the same error though. I'm a bit of a noob but as far as I know the only thing that can cause that error is a major problem with the bootloader. RC3 has been acting weird too, sometimes it doesn't install certain files. Is there a way around chameleon for SL?

I followed your How-to (And part of this one: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181197 ) on my new Core i7 920 / Asus P6T Deluxe V2 / Nvidia 9600. Almost worked like a charm. Installed Snow Leo from my macbook with my enclosure, installed Chameleon-2-1.0-r431, copied boot, copied kext.

I didn't used your "dsdt.aml". Instead, I disabled HT and extra cores in Bios. Also change Sata to IDE Compatible. Boot using "cpus=1 -x32 -v -f" and it worked (even my wifi is working... no need to use a bugged driver anymore!). Sound working to. I then create my own "dsdt.aml" using the "DSDTPatcher", edit the alias line as seen.... I don't remember where.

The only things now is that I can boot without the "cpus=1" and with all cores enabled in Bios, but after 2-5 mins, I get a Kernel Panic. With cpus=1, no problem. Plus, boot hang if I don't use the "-x32" flag... And of course my IDE DVD drives that aren't working...

I don't know if someone has a solution for one of my problem, but I'll keep looking around for some clues. Oh and thanks for your how-to!

I followed your How-to (And part of this one: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181197 ) on my new Core i7 920 / Asus P6T Deluxe V2 / Nvidia 9600. Almost worked like a charm. Installed Snow Leo from my macbook with my enclosure, installed Chameleon-2-1.0-r431, copied boot, copied kext.

I didn't used your "dsdt.aml". Instead, I disabled HT and extra cores in Bios. Also change Sata to IDE Compatible. Boot using "cpus=1 -x32 -v -f" and it worked (even my wifi is working... no need to use a bugged driver anymore!). Sound working to. I then create my own "dsdt.aml" using the "DSDTPatcher", edit the alias line as seen.... I don't remember where.

The only things now is that I can boot without the "cpus=1" and with all cores enabled in Bios, but after 2-5 mins, I get a Kernel Panic. With cpus=1, no problem. Plus, boot hang if I don't use the "-x32" flag... And of course my IDE DVD drives that aren't working...

I don't know if someone has a solution for one of my problem, but I'll keep looking around for some clues. Oh and thanks for your how-to!

Your dsdt.aml probably isn't in the right place. I would reinstall with your dsdt.aml in the initial install.

UPDATE: Got SL working with Digital_Dreamer's x58 mobo generic installer. I highly recommend it. It is so easy that a child could do it. I had skip the kext install and instead do it with osx86 tools using the pack found here. I also obviously had to skip NVinject and go with the evoenabler.kext that is used for the 4870s. If you're having trouble with this guide I highly recommend the x58 generic. It must have been a problem with the way that chameleon RC3 was being installed for me. I tried both manual and pkgs and only digital dreamer's install worked. Next project SL server if SL proves to be stable enough. Already updated to 10.6.1.

Your dsdt.aml probably isn't in the right place. I would reinstall with your dsdt.aml in the initial install.

Well, I don't know what append, but I recreated my "dsdt.aml", edited and place back and now it's back as it was. I still need the "-x32" flag...

Another thing I notice, I don't know if its related or not, but when I try to install something (like itunes 9), I got a KP when the installer is "optimizing system" or something like that....

UPDATE: Got SL working with Digital_Dreamer's x58 mobo generic installer. I highly recommend it. It is so easy that a child could do it. I had skip the kext install and instead do it with osx86 tools using the pack found here. I also obviously had to skip NVinject and go with the evoenabler.kext that is used for the 4870s. If you're having trouble with this guide I highly recommend the x58 generic. It must have been a problem with the way that chameleon RC3 was being installed for me. I tried both manual and pkgs and only digital dreamer's install worked. Next project SL server if SL proves to be stable enough. Already updated to 10.6.1.

What is "Digital_Dreamers x58 generic"? Where can i find it?

Has anyone else seen this?

Nope. But I don't think we should be surprise to see some weird stuff...

I checked again the permission on my disk with disk utility this morning. Even if they where all ok yesterday, there was plenty of incorrect permission again. After that, I didn't had any kernel panic while installing stuff like Itunes 9... Even iLife 09 install was ok... But I still need the "-x32" flag, something's wrong with the 64 bit kernel... And I still have some weird permission problem...

EDIT: Recreated my user account. Fixed the weird permission problem. Didn't had any KP since this morning. The only thing I need now is IDE DVD drive support... :/ (and maybe 64 bit kernel)

I think he's referring to: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

I'm going to give that a try just now and let you know how it goes for me.

My history: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186405

Yeah that's it... Use the installer but don't install the kexts use osx86 tools to install the ones from this guide.

daboat... I get the same issue. My board switches around the BSD names for the drives which is probably what is causing this. We're probably going to have to add the boot-uuid=______ flag to the bootloader. I haven't got around to doing it yet though. I'll do it soon and report back if it is the cause.