[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I just want to start off by saying thanks for the awesome guides and all the help you provide here.

I installed 10.6.5 update and everything is working fine except for my wireless card. It says No Airport Card is installed. It worked fine in 10.6.4. It is a Broadcom 802.11g card, If you need more specifics I can open up the case and find out what exactly it is. Can someone please help me get this working? Thanks in advance!

Edit: The card is a Belkin F5D7000 with a Broadcom BCM4306KFB chip.

hackintoshwirelesscard.jpg

Hello blackosx

Appreciate your great work done on hp6720s.

Can I use your guides to install your distro on EP45-DS4P mobo?

It is almost the same, some details are different only.

And I have QUAD Q8200 can you please advice as I am expereinced

in hack building but to make process faster need your advice.

Cheers mate.

Hi MILAN0

You can use the guide here for the overall how-to etc. for your motherboard, but you should not use the DSDT.aml I supply here as that motherboard has differences which need to be addressed. You'll also need an ALC889a audio solution as the guide here is for the ALC888.

----------

@dpoole - I haven't seen the EBIOS read error: device timeout for a long time so I'm not going to be much help here as to be honest I've forgotten what it means! :DI recommend a quick Google search.

EDIT: - I remembered.. When swapping discs, wait until the drive has spun up and the drive light has stopped flashing before proceeding with the next step.

Have you tried connecting your DVD drive to a different SATA port? (try the first or last one). The Chameleon instructions in the PDF work fine but if you're having an issue with them then you could maybe try running iFabio's unofficial RC5 installer - point it to your cham partition then add your Extra folder.

As for the _CST and LPC errors you're better off looking for some of posts at Cartri's forums, as that's been quite common for your processor.

----------

Hi daryoon - Long time :rolleyes:

I installed 10.6.5 update and everything is working fine except for my wireless card.

@Arik5405 - I've never attemtped to use wifi on my hack so I have no experience to share with you, sorry. If I had the problem, I would search InsanelyMac and other forums for a solution.

Hello blackosx

Appreciate your great work done on hp6720s.

Can I use your guides to install your distro on EP45-DS4P mobo?

It is almost the same, some details are different only.

And I have QUAD Q8200 can you please advice as I am expereinced

in hack building but to make process faster need your advice.

Cheers mate.

Take a look at my post regarding the ALC889a audio solution:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1457718

Hi blackosx, how are you?

As usual when some update appears I get into the forum for help. Since my last update a new Chamelion RC5 and the 10.6.5 update were the novelties.

1- What should I do for the RC5 update?

2- Can you specify more in detail how to update from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 please?

As usual I´ll try to make a dummies guide for everyone

My hardware

mobo GA-EP45-UD3L

Video 8800GT

HDD 750 Gb samsung

2 monitors Samsung 2253NW

Thanks again my friend!

Hey guys, I just want to start off by saying thanks for the awesome guides and all the help you provide here.

I installed 10.6.5 update and everything is working fine except for my wireless card. It says No Airport Card is installed. It worked fine in 10.6.4. It is a Broadcom 802.11g card, If you need more specifics I can open up the case and find out what exactly it is. Can someone please help me get this working? Thanks in advance!

Edit: The card is a Belkin F5D7000 with a Broadcom BCM4306KFB chip.

hackintoshwirelesscard.jpg

Hi,

I have the same issue... updates, patched audio, but airport not working...have you found the solution? thanks

Thanks for your advice, but can you remind me where Ioreg would be and where I put once I get in there?

By saying add to your kernel flags, he was saying the you need to modify your com.apple.Boot.plist as follows (I think)

The section that looks like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

Should now looks like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>max_valid_dma_addr=1024</string>

Got it?

Hi BlackOsx,

Im having a little... or rather big problem for me.

So the story: I had a system 10.6.4 running fine for about 6 months, I updated to 10.6.5 3 days ago. All was good, but no airport card now... stupid me tried to fix it in several ways, i f** the system completely and did clean install like new... now it is 10.6.4 again with your new files for chameleon and new chameleon obviously, so here are the problems, i wonder if you could help me:

1. Main problem is Firewire card is recognized, but working funny: i have 3 ports (2x800, 1x400). middle 800 and 400 work fine, but last 800 is not working properly. most of the time if i plug hard drive into it it just doesn't come up in the finder... sometimes (very rarely) it mounts and after some minutes just ejects... i tried googling the problem, again deleted some kexts and fkd up my system again and did clean install :( ( 2nd time :( I wonder, could it be the new chameleon and your new files? cos the system is like it was before I started messing with it - 10.6.4 and all was good... I realy need all 3 ports because of my video work... I also tried swaping it into other PCI slot... no good... and it is TI chip.

2. not that important problem: airport is recognized, sees networks, but doesnt see my home wifi ?!! how can it be?

By saying add to your kernel flags, he was saying the you need to modify your com.apple.Boot.plist as follows (I think)

The section that looks like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

Should now looks like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>max_valid_dma_addr=1024</string>

Got it?

YES!!! You guys are awesome! I love you! lol I'm excited it works if you can't tell!

hi all

after upgrading to 10.6.5, I have a kernel panic each time I shutdown or reboot the system....

Add a reasonably detailed Signature to your account and it will show up on your post, this will help. What kexts are you using and where? How do you boot the computer, USB, CD, HDD. Chameleon on S/E/E or separate partition with E/E.

More info required! :unsure:

Hi BlackOsx,

Im having a little... or rather big problem for me.

So the story: I had a system 10.6.4 running fine for about 6 months, I updated to 10.6.5 3 days ago. All was good, but no airport card now... stupid me tried to fix it in several ways, i f** the system completely and did clean install like new... now it is 10.6.4 again with your new files for chameleon and new chameleon obviously, so here are the problems, i wonder if you could help me:

1. Main problem is Firewire card is recognized, but working funny: i have 3 ports (2x800, 1x400). middle 800 and 400 work fine, but last 800 is not working properly. most of the time if i plug hard drive into it it just doesn't come up in the finder... sometimes (very rarely) it mounts and after some minutes just ejects... i tried googling the problem, again deleted some kexts and fkd up my system again and did clean install :wacko: ( 2nd time :) I wonder, could it be the new chameleon and your new files? cos the system is like it was before I started messing with it - 10.6.4 and all was good... I realy need all 3 ports because of my video work... I also tried swaping it into other PCI slot... no good... and it is TI chip.

2. not that important problem: airport is recognized, sees networks, but doesnt see my home wifi ?!! how can it be?

After long surf in web I think my problem is that I need to add the Firewire card to the dsdt.aml file... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;mode=linear

but because im lame... i ned somebody to explain how to do it properly.... I tried it with dsdt editor, but all i know is to copy and paste the code into dsdt file... is this the correct way of doing it? anyhow, i tried it 3 or 4 ways, rebooting and none of the times it worked, the closest, nicest msg i got was: firewire (OHCI) TI ID8025PCI: no valid selfIDS for more than 3 minutes after bus reset.... what does that mean?

so i tried also a bit of old school plug and play investigative method and found that i can mount 1 drive at a time through firewire, so that's mount 1, then unmount, mount 2... they work, but I cant get the 400 port to work for my minidv camera in final cut pro... the system just freezes when i plug the camera in, and when i unplug it becomes alive again... Ohhhh... someone please tell me what's wrong here....

No real new issues since going up to 10.6.4 and 10.6.5.

Just to recap

With hdmi connected via 2nd dvi port on msi8800gt - both screens remain dark blue in 10.6.2 and upwards.

In 10.6.4 with a rom file renamed 10de_0611.rom in Extras and couple of keys in the boot.plist, >UseNvidiaROM< and >VBIOS<, I have both computer screen and tv function via hdmi/dvi. Only issue is no wake-up from sleep function.

However, this fix does not work for 10.6.5.

With Zotac 9600gt, I have success up to 10.6.5. I can use rgb port for computer screen and dvi to hdmi for tv, without having to do any fixes, just by following the guide here.

Newly purchased Hard Disk install issues

I was trying to install a new 2gb WD Black drive. I did my usual 3 partitions, Cham/OS/Storage, but no dice.

I can get as far as

veryfying DMI pool data - and no further. I guess the disc is not booting up.

I have tried 5 Cham installs using 3 different Cham builds. I even cloned a cham partition onto it. I switched sata cables, disconnected other devices and all made no difference. I have 2 other hard drives and they both function fine. I have run a test utility on the disk and no errors are reported. The Bios setting look okay and anyway 2 other osx drives function fine.

I can delete the partitions and install W7 and see if it will boot into windows.

But I was wondering if there is anything else I can do while I have it the way i want ? Is there something that I am missing when this type of fault is reported, especially on a new hard drive?

There can't be something missing from the guide? ;)

I was trying to install a new 2gb WD Black drive. I did my usual 3 partitions, Cham/OS/Storage, but no dice.

Hi geithals

You say you only get as far as 'veryfying DMI pool data' which I think means the BIOS can't find a bootable drive.. hmmm.

I'm not sure how the land lies with this one, but I remember some issues in the past with Chameleon and drives larger than 1TB but I thought that might leave you with a boot0 error? (maybe not) so all I can recommend is for now is to maybe check the voodooprojects forum for a similar topic and maybe try partitioning the drive so all partitions as less than 1TB.

After long surf in web I think my problem is that I need to add the Firewire card to the dsdt.aml file... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;mode=linear

but because im lame... i ned somebody to explain how to do it properly.... I tried it with dsdt editor, but all i know is to copy and paste the code into dsdt file... is this the correct way of doing it? anyhow, i tried it 3 or 4 ways, rebooting and none of the times it worked, the closest, nicest msg i got was: firewire (OHCI) TI ID8025PCI: no valid selfIDS for more than 3 minutes after bus reset.... what does that mean?

so i tried also a bit of old school plug and play investigative method and found that i can mount 1 drive at a time through firewire, so that's mount 1, then unmount, mount 2... they work, but I cant get the 400 port to work for my minidv camera in final cut pro... the system just freezes when i plug the camera in, and when i unplug it becomes alive again... Ohhhh... someone please tell me what's wrong here....

Can anyone help?

Now I also cant log in, the system freezes or kernel panics from both usb and cham part from main hdd... says something like usbmsc identifier and just stays there for ever... also ive noticed that now when i set to boot from usb it reads it considerably slower than before... after a while it says: still waiting for root device... ;)(( I didnt change anything.... why oh why me.... :D( please someone help me find a solution as now i cant even log in...

p.s. its is loging fine into windows partition.

Hi Janis_A

So did you apply the 10.6.5 update to a backup system installation first to make sure everything worked correctly before applying to your main system?

Were all three ports of your firewire card working properly when you were running 10.6.4 previously?

Airport cards, like I've said before, I haven't used on in my hack so I can't talk from any experience. But does it use a broadloom chip? and if so, have you tried the fix posted by idsynk? Does this post by Stell help?

As for your new problem of not being able to log in to your system, you must have changed something as the system doesn't just stop working for no reason. I think you need to take a step back and look at your system and figure out what you've done to it... only you will know this.

But a note to everyone here again, I can't stress enough the importance of having an extra HDD or partition in your machine with a secondary OS X installation for using to test Apple updates. Just because it works for me and my hardware doesn't mean it will work for each of you. All hackintosh's are different and they each need thorough understanding and attention by their users. If any of you haven't done any backups recently then take make a note to do them ASAP.

Hi Janis_A

So did you apply the 10.6.5 update to a backup system installation first to make sure everything worked correctly before applying to your main system?

Were all three ports of your firewire card working properly when you were running 10.6.4 previously?

Airport cards, like I've said before, I haven't used on in my hack so I can't talk from any experience. But does it use a broadloom chip? and if so, have you tried the fix posted by idsynk? Does this post by Stell help?

As for your new problem of not being able to log in to your system, you must have changed something as the system doesn't just stop working for no reason. I think you need to take a step back and look at your system and figure out what you've done to it... only you will know this.

But a note to everyone here again, I can't stress enough the importance of having an extra HDD or partition in your machine with a secondary OS X installation for using to test Apple updates. Just because it works for me and my hardware doesn't mean it will work for each of you. All hackintosh's are different and they each need thorough understanding and attention by their users. If any of you haven't done any backups recently then take make a note to do them ASAP.

Hi man,

thanx for reply. I do have a second backup osx, but cos im lauzy :)) i read this forum and see that all is sort of good and went ahead and applied it to the main partition... anyway this is not how i messed up the firewire. forget about the wifi, dont care and dont use it at the moment, but i do need 3 fire wire ports.

I managed to log into system - reset bios and aplied point from your tutorial about bios. I dont know how that could have changed, but im logged in now... :)

So:

yes, all 3 ports were fine before, but funny thing is that i reinstalled all of it and im back to 10.6.4 as i was and they're not fine... :( could it be something to do with 32 or 64 bit mode?

yes, all 3 ports were fine before, but funny thing is that i reinstalled all of it and im back to 10.6.4 as i was and they're not fine... :( could it be something to do with 32 or 64 bit mode?

That is strange and I don't really have an answer for you. If you are running exactly the same system and files as before then the only thing I can think of would be to ask if you've changed any hardware or even moved hardware to different slots? If you haven't then it doesn't make any sense.

You can experiment with booting with the kernel in both 32 and 64 bit mode to see if it makes a difference.

Hi geithals

You say you only get as far as 'veryfying DMI pool data' which I think means the BIOS can't find a bootable drive.. hmmm.

I'm not sure how the land lies with this one, but I remember some issues in the past with Chameleon and drives larger than 1TB but I thought that might leave you with a boot0 error? (maybe not) so all I can recommend is for now is to maybe check the voodooprojects forum for a similar topic and maybe try partitioning the drive so all partitions as less than 1TB.

Thanks Blackosx,

I guess that 1TB limit might have some application when having a single partition for OSX. Anyway, I don't regardboot files in a small Cham partition on a 2tb drive as like a mouse trying to pull an elephant, but rather the small detonator which does what's needed to trigger a bigger action.

Best guess at what happened, I made 3 partitions in the 2tb disk - Cham /OS/ Storage. Then I used CCloner to clone my whole OS partition over to the new OS partition. Then I set up the Cham partition. Some people reported similar booting problems after doing it that way. I'll keep an open mind.

I used the Fdisk utility in the terminal - fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 and then I set the Cham partition as active.

Then I went back to terminal basics and manually installed the boot files from there. Now the 2tb is up and running.

Update for the EP45-UD3L:

1. Was never able to boot from the BootCD and get to the SL Install Screen.

2. Once I created a USB install following Black's guide, it installed without any trouble.

3. I followed the guide to the letter and everything booted up perfectly without any trouble whatsoever.

4. I am running the f9 bios for the UD3L

Now my question:

-I have an ATI 4870 series card and have not used PC EFI or anything else but SL seems to be recognizing it in 'About this Mac' by the correct Chip, Memory, etc... - Dual Monitor works, 1920x180 works.. etc...

-Do I need to do anything else? Reading through the guide it seems like my card shouldn't be working out of the box.. So I guess I am asking whether or not I am getting a false positive and my card isn't set up to its potential.

-Maltice

Thanks again.

Update for the EP45-UD3L:

1. Was never able to boot from the BootCD and get to the SL Install Screen.

I think that experience is common enough.

2. Once I created a USB install following Black's guide, it installed without any trouble.

I have kept mine intact, it's dead handy to have lying around nearby.

-Do I need to do anything else? Reading through the guide it seems like my card shouldn't be working out of the box.. So I guess I am asking whether or not I am getting a false positive and my card isn't set up to its potential.

You mean, it's too good to be true? ;)

You could try a few utilities (Cinebench?) to test the card's performance and compare the figures you get to others with the same card. The scores/figures are usually posted up online on the testing software site.

Yep.. too good to be true and it seems like it is totally fine. No issues with the graphics card at all so far.

Now, on to my new question!

I went to install my Final Cut discs and kept getting an install failed error no matter what I did... After about 400 failures I decided I would make an image of my discs and install that way, but found that I got errors making the image. After thinking aabout it for a while, I decided to use my MacBook to create the image of the discs and wah-lah, I was able to mount and install...

So... My question is; What's the deal with the DVD drive? I even tried a separate drive, hooked it up and had the same results. Basically, SL can't seem to talk to my DVD drive correctly (I tried 2 working drives with the same results).

Anyone?

I have an ATI 4870 series card and have not used PC EFI or anything else but SL seems to be recognizing it in 'About this Mac' by the correct Chip, Memory, etc... - Dual Monitor works, 1920x180 works.. etc...

I think the 4870 is one of the ATI cards that the original GraphicsEnabler supports without problems. So you are in luck there.. Having said that, Kabyl released a modified stage 2 Chameleon boot file with ATI enabled graphics enabler which users have been testing successfully over that last few months, further more, he has today released the sources for it so one day soon the additions should make it to Chameleon's trunk. Link to Kabyl's topic.

So... My question is; What's the deal with the DVD drive?

What make and model is it? and it is a SATA drive as described in the requirements on this topic?

UPDATE:

Yep... it is a sata DVD drive. Its an HP Model # DVD1260i

I have it plugged in the last port on the MB.

When it failed, I hooked up an older IDE sony drive but got the same results. Didnt seem to care the other one was an IDE.

-Maltice