[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi itorra

You have an old setup! For simplicities sake, I suggest reading the latest PDF's on the front page and working through what files are recommended now as looking at your Cham partition, in /Extra/Extensions we no longer use

CPUInjector.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

leaving you with just

fakesmc.kext

OrangeIconFix.kext (A kext from The KiNG to just cosmetically change the icons for external devices)

FakeSMC.kext now has plugins for monitoring your hardware which work fine now from /Extra/Extensions (well, at least the plugins that I need do).

And since Lnx2Mac created his Network Driver we no longer need to use ipconfig for Bonjour.

wow it's so different from the way i installed it over 1 year ago. no problem at all.

is that so necessary to update my cham files?

what should i do just to have 10.6.6 w/o all these changes cause i lost myself inside the latest guide.

Hi, Blackosx,

I'm using Gigabyte EP45-DS3L, and installed a perfect hackintosh according to your guide. and everything seems so nice until... 3 month ago, at that time I'm still using 10.6.4. One day my audio began to "sleep" if there's no sound playing for a while(30s?), and when I start play back some audio again(itunes, beeps in system, etc), I would hear a loud noise, a glitch? or a bomb? sorry for my english, I just don't know the exact word for describe that..

Any ideas for this "sleep" "feature"? I tried upgrade to 10.6.5 and now 10.6.6, nothing changed...

Thanks!

I was wondering if there is a mirror for the downloads. I am unable to download them from China.

Thanks for all of the hard work. I can't wait to try your guide. Was using 10.5.7 and Tried using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] plus [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] path, but I think your guide sounds much better.

Hi joshuawas

I used to use a couple of different hosts for the attached files but then one day somebody told me they couldn't access them so I switched to hosting them in my dropbox. So China block you from downloading from dropbox too?

PS. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] / [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is the Chameleon bootloader and a collection of files which you can install at a click of a button. The method shown in this topic also uses Chameleon and a collection for files but the difference is it attempts to help you learn about what you're installing, where and why.

wow it's so different from the way i installed it over 1 year ago. no problem at all.

is that so necessary to update my cham files?

what should i do just to have 10.6.6 w/o all these changes cause i lost myself inside the latest guide.

Techniques and developments happen all the time and so do the methods we can use to run our hacks. If it wasn't for all the dev's out there continuing this work then we would still be back in the dark ages (Thanks to all the devs). I'm afraid you have to keep abreast of all this is you want to run a successful hackintosh.

If you want to carry on using your setup but update to 10.6.6 then I think you can get away with it by removing your SleepEnabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions, rebooting, then running the update. Once successful, and rebooted back in to 10.6.6 then you can add a new version of SleepEnabler.kext specifically for 10.6.6.

But note, this is only what I think - I don't know for sure - it's up to you to read and find out what you need and I take no responsibility for you messing up your system. Best method is to have a secondary backup OS X installation on a separate HDD partition for you to test these things before applying to your main system.

One day my audio began to "sleep" if there's no sound playing for a while(30s?), and when I start play back some audio again(itunes, beeps in system, etc), I would hear a loud noise, a glitch? or a bomb?

Hi sly9

Setting your mac model in smbios to a macpro gets around this issue. It's recommended you use MacPro3,1 as it also deals with powermanagement in the best way for this board.

extract from my smbios.plist

<key>SMmanufacter</key>
   <string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
   <key>SMproductname</key>
   <string>[color="#FF0000"]MacPro3,1[/color]</string>
   <key>SMsystemversion</key>
   <string>1.0</string>

Techniques and developments happen all the time and so do the methods we can use to run our hacks. If it wasn't for all the dev's out there continuing this work then we would still be back in the dark ages (Thanks to all the devs). I'm afraid you have to keep abreast of all this is you want to run a successful hackintosh.

If you want to carry on using your setup but update to 10.6.6 then I think you can get away with it by removing your SleepEnabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions, rebooting, then running the update. Once successful, and rebooted back in to 10.6.6 then you can add a new version of SleepEnabler.kext specifically for 10.6.6.

But note, this is only what I think - I don't know for sure - it's up to you to read and find out what you need and I take no responsibility for you messing up your system. Best method is to have a secondary backup OS X installation on a separate HDD partition for you to test these things before applying to your main system.

hi,

sorry for being such an annoying.

1. when you say that i need to get rid of those red files (in your prev. reply), i get it. but what files are functioning instead of them?

2. i can see that there is f11c, is your dsdt (in latest support files pkg) matches to f11c or what do i miss here?

Hi itorra

You're not being annoying but most if not all the information you ask about is, or has previously been, in the PDF guides and is more than likely to be in this very topic. But to quickly answer:

Question 1:

• The things that CPUInjector.kext & PlatformUUID.kext do are now handled by the laetst Chameleon bootloader.

• Restart is now enabled by the Chameleon bootloader, shutdown is enabled by a DSDT fix so you no longer require OpenHaltRestart.kext

• IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is replaced by OrangeIconFix.kext

• A patched DSDT in combination with the Chameleon bootloader with enabled process performance and idle states you no longer need to run with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext,

• SleepEnabler.kext was a only required when using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, so as we're not using it any more then we don't need SleepEnabler.kext

Question 2:

Good question and to be honest I can't remember now, but the original Gigabyte DSDT's for GA-EP45-DS3L BIOS f11b and f11c are pretty much identical, although I do remember being told that there was a checksum error with their DSDT from BIOIS f11c. But the DSDT posted here has so much stripped out from the original Gigabyte DSDT's that any differences are probably no longer there.

But the simple answer here is I have used the same DSDT from the support pages with both BIOS f11b and f11c without problem.

Hi itorra

You're not being annoying but most if not all the information you ask about is, or has previously been, in the PDF guides and is more than likely to be in this very topic. But to quickly answer:

Question 1:

• The things that CPUInjector.kext & PlatformUUID.kext do are now handled by the laetst Chameleon bootloader.

• Restart is now enabled by the Chameleon bootloader, shutdown is enabled by a DSDT fix so you no longer require OpenHaltRestart.kext

• IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is replaced by OrangeIconFix.kext

• A patched DSDT in combination with the Chameleon bootloader with enabled process performance and idle states you no longer need to run with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext,

• SleepEnabler.kext was a only required when using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, so as we're not using it any more then we don't need SleepEnabler.kext

Question 2:

Good question and to be honest I can't remember now, but the original Gigabyte DSDT's for GA-EP45-DS3L BIOS f11b and f11c are pretty much identical, although I do remember being told that there was a checksum error with their DSDT from BIOIS f11c. But the DSDT posted here has so much stripped out from the original Gigabyte DSDT's that any differences are probably no longer there.

But the simple answer here is I have used the same DSDT from the support pages with both BIOS f11b and f11c without problem.

hello from 10.6.6 with latest cham and latest files.

huge thanks

Hi Lucky4life

I know thiagomorales in the past confirmed the original Gigabyte DSDT for the EP43-DS3L to be identical my board here, the EP45-DS3L. Therefore I am surprised by that issue.

Restart when waking from sleep used to happen when the 'Start up automatically after a power failure' checkbox in System Preferences / Energy Saver wasn't ticked but that has since been fixed in the DSDT which is supplied in this topic. Master Chief made the fix to DSDT here.

Okay, I enabled the button and now it works.

It has been very weird. Before i did it there where three thinks my PC did when I send him to sleep:

-He woke up right after I clicked on sleep.

-He woke up normally but got a KP after some time.

-He rebooted when I tried to wake him up.

I think in this case the DSDT doesn't work for EP43-DS3L.

But with 'Start up automatically after a power failure' everything is fine. Thanks!

Good to know ticking the box has helped you get round the problem.

As for the required DSDT for your board, if your original Gigabyte DSDT is indeed not the same as mine then you should really be working from your own specific DSDT and that's a lot of learning to do.. One place to start might be here.

But see how you go for now and maybe you can get this issue confirmed from other users of the EP43-DS3L in this topic?

Updated from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6 remembering to trash the sleep enabler kext and reinstall the audio after upgrade.. Everything seems to be working fine apart from firewire which was previosly working. The card is;

SYBA SD-PEX300009 PCI-E

I haven't got around to looking on the manufacturers web site yet to see if drivers are now required. In any case I don't intend losing any sleep over it.

Updated from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6 remembering to trash the sleep enabler kext and reinstall the audio after upgrade.. Everything seems to be working fine apart from firewire which was previosly working.

Hi kuripot - is your card still recognised in system profiler?

do i need to remake my dsdt.aml if i used cabire cartri bios with sleep enabler?

can they coexist?

Hi muitommy - thanks for the update to your question.

You don't need to use Sleepenabler, unless you're loading NullCPUPowerManagement.kext or similar. But you're not using that anymore are you? This applies to running with either a standard Gigabyte BIOS with a patched DSDT.aml or cartri's modified BIOS.

@121fred - nice one :construction:

So, I'm running with Nearly everything perfect on my EP45-DS3L on 10.6.6. The only continual issue I have is with Parallels. For some reason, my disks never boot up with the same designation (disk0s1 changes to disk0s2, etc), so parallels is always throwing an error saying the boot-camp disk is not valid and have to change it before it can boot. It's getting frustrating.

This also happens on a EP45C-DS3R I have set up as well. Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?

Hi Nips.

I can't use Parallels due to my CPU not supporting virtualisation, so I use VMWare Fusion instead. As for your disks changing at boot, this can happen and it's been reported many times that OS X will show the hard disk order sometimes differently to the BIOS, though never with partitions.

For Disks: I have two HDD's and the default drive in BIOS is disk1, though OS X will display disk1 (in BIOS) as disk0, as that's the boot volume, but if I boot from disk0 in BIOS, then OSX might show the HDD's as a different number.

For Partitions: On an HDD with a GUID partition table partitioned in Disk Utility, diskXs1 is always the EFI partition, diskXs2 will be the first partition and so on.. These never change!

For example, here's my disk layout:

$ diskutil list
/dev/disk1
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*500.1 GB   disk1
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk1s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS Booter				  1.1 GB	 disk1s2
  3:				  Apple_HFS Mac					 120.0 GB   disk1s3
  4:	   Microsoft Basic Data						 80.0 GB	disk1s4
  5:				  Apple_HFS Backup				  32.0 GB	disk1s5
  6:				  Apple_HFS Data					266.3 GB   disk1s6

I know this hasn't answered your question, but hopefully gives you something to double-check.

@blackosx:

I was incorrect about partitions switching, it's definitely disks switching. The thing is, I never switch my disks in BIOS. I boot up clean without any interaction every time, and for some reason I seem to get randomly assigned disk order when it comes to my BootCamp disk. It's frustrating. Not a show stopper by any means, but my last little complaint.

I know you were pretty involved on the cartri.net forums as well. Are you still running the cartri bios? Is there any reason to switch back to the stock bios (any improvements in the DSDT.aml, etc?). Anything else new with this board in the past 6 months besides the new Realtek driver that I missed (I've tried to keep up as much as possible)?

Hi Nips

All I can suggest for the parallels issue with disk switching is to ask around for other users of parallels to see how they deal with the issue. Check in the multi-booting and virtualisation section of Insanelymac.

I am still running a Cartri bios yes, but only because I've been too lazy to re-flash my system back to a Gigabyte bios. I currently load my own patched DSDT.aml so it kind of defeats the object of having the modified bios anyhow. You can achieve a lovely working system without using modified bios as long as you use the right files.

New? Since Lnx2Mac's network driver, there has been the 10.6.6 update along with continued updates to Chameleon and FakeSMC with it's plugins.

@blackosx: Thanks for the update. I'll have to look at the new DSDT stuff. I might stick with the cartri BIOS if I can fix the issue mentioned below, if not for any other reason than to keep the pretty apple logo at boot. I'll look into the FakeSMC as well.

I have one solution to post for an issue mentioned above, and one more lingering ANNOYING issue to detail here:

Parallels VM Boot Camp 'Disk Switching' solution.

It's not necessarily DS3L specific but it's relevant to my last post: Parallels 6 fixes the "disk switching" issue. Upgrade to Parallels 6, delete your PVM, and re-create the boot camp VM to fix the issue permanently. Also, Parallels 6 allows you to properly assign multiple physical disks as "boot camp" disks, which has now finally allowed me to run MacOS as my Primary OS full time, as my Windows 7 VM is also my media server, and I needed my 2TB drive "Directly Attached" to the VM. Parallels 6 is even faster, and crystal mode is awesome. Got it for $40 as a student ;)

Gigabyte Board (DS3L) POWER LOOP ISSUE

Has anybody successfully solved the power looping issue that can occur after a BIOS flash on any of the GIGABYTE boards (DS3L or DS3R especially???) (Note: this is not CARTRI BIOS Specific, apparently this happens on stock boards with stock gigabyte BIOS updates as well).

I have TWO machines that suffer from this randomly, and it's driving me absolutely insane! I've tried pulling the battery for extended periods. I've cleared the CMOS through the jumper successfully, as i've been given the screen that makes me choose "defaults" or "last known good" during post. I STILL have this issue.

So the answer to your parallels issue was to upgrade to the latest version. Simple enough.

As for your power looping issue caused by your bios flash, I haven't a clue as I've been lucky in the past with my flashes and not experienced any problems. This is a good time to remind other users out there that flashing the bios always carries a risk. But to have two machines suffering randomly with it is mightily unlucky, unless you're doing something wrong??

Maybe it's to do with the Gigabyte dual bios where one bios is failing so it tries to recover from the other one? I know cartri had explained the steps well in the PDF that came with his bios releases, and in there were also a few recovery steps. Cartri also explained a few times about recovering from a bad flash in the modified Gigabyte bios topic here at InsanelyMac but that topic no longer exists unfortunately. From your comments, it sounds like you've done some research on the subject. All I can suggest is you keep looking for an answer to it.

Hi BlackOSX. Thanks for your help with the guide. I have followed it for my P35-DS3L and its worked well. I got the DSDT.aml for my mobo from another slink...rest has worked well. I had been reading through the thread and just had a few questions.

1. Is there a thread where I can follow for updates to FakeSMC. I believe I'm still running the original one. I remember reading in one of your much earlier posts that fakesmc with plugins had to be installed into SL as a kext. Am I mistaken or Is that still how it has to be done or can it be kept extensions portion of my extra folder.

2. I have this link that I use to find the latest cham releases. I can't find anywhere information on what is added with each new rev update. Again can you please let me out if there is a thread for this that i can follow. I looked/googled everywhere to find a thread but no luck, including the original cham site. Thanks.

3. I am currently using openhaltrestart.kext....but I read above that

Restart is now enabled by the Chameleon bootloader, shutdown is enabled by a DSDT fix so you no longer require OpenHaltRestart.kext
. What cham rev # supports restart. I am currently running rev593. Should I upgrade to 699 for it? Is shutdown fix already included in most ediited dsdt's or do I need to add that to my DSDT as well. Right now my SL restarts/sleeps/shutsdown without any issues.

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it!